Author Topic: The Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Spy, and Superhero Genre  (Read 419845 times)

Offline kevindavis007

Re: The Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Spy, and Superhero Genre
« Reply #2100 on: February 15, 2019, 02:12:53 am »
One of the things I really loved about The Expanse is that the science conforms with physics, for the most part. Objects in space don't fly like jets in atmosphere, but move according to force vectors without any aerodynamic effects. Watching them flip the ship in a fight instead of fly in some half circle, evacuating atmosphere and suiting up for a fight using kinetic weapons, all made sense. Finally!

That plus they don't show the UN in a positive light.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #2101 on: February 15, 2019, 02:26:20 am »
One of the things I really loved about The Expanse is that the science conforms with physics, for the most part. Objects in space don't fly like jets in atmosphere, but move according to force vectors without any aerodynamic effects. Watching them flip the ship in a fight instead of fly in some half circle, evacuating atmosphere and suiting up for a fight using kinetic weapons, all made sense. Finally!

I read some pretty good SF awhile back.  Two fleets square off against each other and take positions.  Then there's several weeks of acceleration.  Finally, they launch missles -- by computer because the timing is too precise for a human.  Repeat as necessary.  Probably wouldn't make for very entertaining TV, but I enjoyed thinking about it.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2102 on: February 15, 2019, 02:29:42 am »
The Starfuries in Babylon 5 acted that way in the mid-90s.

Sorry...
Yep. I liked that series, too. Most movies in between (and shows) were not that way.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #2103 on: February 15, 2019, 02:31:20 am »
Yep. I liked that series, too. Most movies in between (and shows) were not that way.

Yes, that's true.
Let it burn.

Offline kevindavis007

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #2105 on: February 23, 2019, 01:31:04 am »
Streaming the first season of The Umbrella Academy on Netflix. Not too bad, kinda Harry Potter meets Pulp Fiction.
The Republic is lost.

Offline kevindavis007

Offline verga

« Reply #2107 on: February 25, 2019, 10:43:41 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtGqjxECVe8

WOW! got hooked on this and I can't believe it is the final season
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #2108 on: February 25, 2019, 12:11:10 pm »
AP video is advertising The Expanse. Rumor says Season 4 will air in September this year on Amazon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEZFz9Hv9V4
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #2109 on: February 25, 2019, 12:56:53 pm »

I'm not surprised. A show like this four seasons is good enough. Last season was good. It was also sad (seeing the Statute of Liberty being blown up, The Liberty Bell being melted, etc..)

Offline Snarknado

• Anti
« Reply #2110 on: February 25, 2019, 01:24:36 pm »

I'm not surprised. A show like this four seasons is good enough. Last season was good. It was also sad (seeing the Statute of Liberty being blown up, The Liberty Bell being melted, etc..)

I haven't watched yet. The novel was barely enough material for a short movie so I couldn't figure out how they were getting multiple TV seasons out of it...
---
Everything I need to know I learned in GTA

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #2111 on: February 25, 2019, 02:23:00 pm »

Same here!

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
« Reply #2112 on: February 25, 2019, 02:31:01 pm »
I am early in Season 2 so I am happy to have a lot of episodes left to view.

Offline verga

« Reply #2113 on: February 25, 2019, 03:07:04 pm »

The thing that hooked me is just how plausible the alternate history is. Minor changes in various events could have resulted in this outcome.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #2114 on: February 25, 2019, 06:22:29 pm »
The thing that hooked me is just how plausible the alternate history is. Minor changes in various events could have resulted in this outcome.

I know what you mean. I think in this verse, FDR got shot.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #2115 on: February 25, 2019, 06:43:36 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtGqjxECVe8

I know the book won the Hugo but I couldn't get through it. I didn't find it dense but I did find it uninteresting. I haven't seen the series.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #2116 on: February 25, 2019, 07:04:12 pm »
Try Mr. Robot. It is dense but it is not boring.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U94litUpZuc&t=32s
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #2117 on: February 25, 2019, 08:08:28 pm »
I know the book won the Hugo but I couldn't get through it. I didn't find it dense but I did find it uninteresting. I haven't seen the series.

I didn't read the book (maybe I should have), but I think the TV Show is great. 

Also, I haven't ready Phillip K Dick works. But I did the movies (Blade Runner and Total Recall) based on is books and I did see Electric Dreams. That was a hit or miss.

« Reply #2118 on: February 25, 2019, 09:07:53 pm »
I'm not a big fan of Dick.

I don't know how many times I've watched Blade Runner.  Not sure what it's about, I think maybe a guy goes to eat some noodles?  Never stayed awake long enough to really get into it.

Did like Minority Report though.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #2119 on: February 25, 2019, 09:18:31 pm »

I didn't think that I would like the series either. The topic doesn't really interest me, and in general I haven't liked the Phillip K. Dick stories that I've read (I have not read the book the series is based on). So, I only started watching the series about a month ago, when I decided to watch the first episode on a whim, while doing something else. It drew me in so much with the story telling that when I got home that night I watched it again with my spouse, and we've both been catching up on the series since then. We're currently about halfway through the third season.

A word of warning if you're looking for an immediate SF theme, though: the first season is mostly a spy thriller set in an alternate universe, with the setting being the only thing that's really "SF" about it. But that changes in the second season, as the notion of parallel worlds becomes more central to the plot. By the third season that concept seems to be driving the plot. So the "SF-ness" starts slow but builds as the series goes on. I'm very interested to see how they finish it up in the fourth season.
 :2popcorn:
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 09:21:08 pm by Ghost Bear »
Let it burn.

Offline Snarknado

• Anti
« Reply #2120 on: February 25, 2019, 09:44:07 pm »
I didn't have any trouble finishing the book, but compared to something like Expanse it just seemed kind of shallow - I'd maybe compare to Blake Crouch's Dark Matter. I don't consider the reading time wasted but it wouldn't be very high on my list of recommendations. I guess I'd have to say that Dick's genius wasn't in writing well-formed stories like, say, Bradbury, but in presenting more open-ended imaginative concepts that offered more opportunity for interpretation and adaptation. Though I doubt that was his intent at the time...
---

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #2121 on: February 25, 2019, 09:52:28 pm »
I didn't have any trouble finishing the book, but compared to something like Expanse it just seemed kind of shallow - I'd maybe compare to Blake Crouch's Dark Matter. I don't consider the reading time wasted but it wouldn't be very high on my list of recommendations. I guess I'd have to say that Dick's genius wasn't in writing well-formed stories like, say, Bradbury, but in presenting more open-ended imaginative concepts that offered more opportunity for interpretation and adaptation. Though I doubt that was his intent at the time...

PKD was an odd duck.

Offline verga

« Reply #2122 on: February 25, 2019, 10:05:02 pm »
I have watched about half of the first season of "The Expanse" and just can't get into it. The plots seem contrived and plodding.

Offline Snarknado

• Anti
« Reply #2123 on: February 26, 2019, 02:20:59 am »
I have watched about half of the first season of "The Expanse" and just can't get into it. The plots seem contrived and plodding.

I haven't watched any of it yet, I was only speaking of the books which IMO are far better than MITHC. Very few TV series or movies live up to their books, though Bosch and Justified were pretty good...
---

« Reply #2124 on: February 26, 2019, 02:28:28 am »

I didn't watch it because it was on syfy, but I kept hearing great things about it, so I came in during the second season.  I really didn't see what people were so excited about.  Then recently the DVR picked up the first season which I thought was much better.  I wonder if people got into it and that tinted their opinion about season two.

I suspect something similar with Heinlein.  I didn't read him until I was in my 30's, and wasn't all that impressed.  But I can see that his kid's books would have appealed to me when I was much younger.  I wonder if people view his later work more positively because they enjoyed the earlier stuff, building a positive disposition.