Author Topic: The Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Spy, and Superhero Genre  (Read 212484 times)

Offline kevindavis

• Cat Mod
Re: The Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Spy, and Superhero Genre
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2016, 06:16:31 PM »
and then someone gifted me a more regular-looking cover, lol. I'll think when I am done I will post the professional-looking one. The little girl in the flame pic is now what I am using as my FB avatar. I'll use it for something I am sure.

A cover for Second Front is going to be tougher. I had a simple mock-up on my blog.

I would hate to have to launch it with the mock-up as the cover.

Smart idea..
"If we die, we want people to accept it. We're in a risky business, and we hope that if anything happens to us it will not delay the program. The conquest of space is worth the risk of life."

Gus Grissom

geronl

« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2016, 06:16:46 PM »

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2016, 06:17:29 PM »
Does this count as Science Fiction?

geronl

« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2016, 06:19:14 PM »

Yes, I guess it would.

Offline kevindavis

• Cat Mod
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2016, 06:19:15 PM »
looks like a good show

It is..  It is GOT in space.
"If we die, we want people to accept it. We're in a risky business, and we hope that if anything happens to us it will not delay the program. The conquest of space is worth the risk of life."

Gus Grissom

Offline kevindavis

• Cat Mod
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2016, 06:19:42 PM »

Yes..

Gus Grissom

Online Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2016, 06:20:54 PM »
My current favorite is The Expanse.. Excellent show.

I haven't seen it, but I've read a lot of good things about it.  I loved Defiance, when it was on SyFy. (hate that name, btw)
The more people I meet, the more convinced I am that I should be a hermit living in a cabin in a deep forest.

Offline kevindavis

• Cat Mod
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2016, 06:26:56 PM »
I haven't seen it, but I've read a lot of good things about it.  I loved Defiance, when it was on SyFy. (hate that name, btw)

It is excellent.. I loved Defiance when it was on SyFY as well. The ending was perfect.. I wish for a another season, but oh well.

Gus Grissom

Online Ghost Bear

« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2016, 06:37:37 PM »
I agree on the Deconstruction of Falling Stars was the best hour long TV show.

I agree it was a great episode, but my own personal favorite B5 episode is The Coming of Shadows.  There were just so many "wham" moments in that episode that we were all left open-mouthed after watching it.

To really show off my B5 geekiness, I suggest watching Midnight on the Firing Line (Season 1 Episode 1) back-to-back with The Coming of Shadows (Season 2 Episode 9). Those two episodes really highlight the symmetry of Londo's and G'kar's story arcs.  ^-^
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 06:40:58 PM by Bear_in_RoseBear »
The more people I meet, the more convinced I am that I should be a hermit living in a cabin in a deep forest.

geronl

« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2016, 08:52:02 PM »
The Hugo Awards... well... might be more than Puppies trolling them.

http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/288989/chuck-tingle-space-raptor-butt-invasion-hugo-award-nomination/

Space Raptor Butt Invasion... nominee..um, er... How about those Cowboys...

Online Ghost Bear

« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2016, 09:40:51 PM »
Space Raptor Butt Invasion

No... that was nominated by the Rabids, to satirize the infamous "story" nominated a couple of years ago, "If You Were a Dinosaur, My Love".  I'm not sure it was written as a satire, though.  *hmmmm*

Offline kevindavis

• Cat Mod
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2016, 09:48:26 PM »
Check this out:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ndPf_OfdLw" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ndPf_OfdLw</a>

Gus Grissom

Online Ghost Bear

« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2016, 10:07:13 PM »
The current meme are Nazi lizards from the center of the earth.

Oh man... I could have made an awesome INWO* deck based on that theme!

*Illuminati: New World Order, a trading card game that I loved to play about 20 years ago...

Online Ghost Bear

« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2016, 10:16:36 PM »
Check this out:

That looks... intriguing!  Like a cross between Interstellar and The Martian... 
*hmmmm*

Offline kevindavis

• Cat Mod
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2016, 10:18:19 PM »
That looks... intriguing!  Like a cross between Interstellar and The Martian... 
 *hmmmm*

I think so, I think I'll wait till it comes out on Digital..

Gus Grissom

Online Ghost Bear

« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2016, 10:20:27 PM »
I have the reissue of the original Illuminati card game (the one from the early 1980s).

Neat! I never played the original Illuminati, though I did love INWO. :laugh:  Do you have any of the old Metagaming Micro Games?  (I do!)  ^-^

geronl

« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2016, 10:30:22 PM »
dino mounted Nazi - kinda cool

Red Dwarf are getting a little long in the tooth

The unknown that we know or the unknown unknowns...

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
    • The Conservative Fist
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2016, 12:40:18 AM »
Oh yes, Babylon 5 was my favorite show of the 90s.

My current favorites, I think, are the Arrow-verse shows on The CW: The Flash, Arrow, and Legends of Tomorrow.

I love those shows too, and Marvel's Agents of Shield.

The Flash is special. Very uplifting, always puts a smile on my face. And all the ladies are lovely, as they are on the Arrow and LOT.
The Conservative Fist: https://twitter.com/arguedpolitics - follow me and I'll follow you.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2016, 12:46:38 AM »
I have a small offering if anyone is interested. Little novel called Cat's Claw. It's sci-fi, written in the style of the old movie serials.

There's a blurb and a sample chapter on my website, if anyone wants to read it though, just drop me a PM and I'll hook you up with a copy.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
    • The Conservative Fist
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2016, 12:54:05 AM »
CW Seed has all the episodes of Almost Human and Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles.

Too bad Almost Human didn't make it. I liked it particularly because some of the scary tech on there is almost in our grasp today though it's set 30 or 40 years in the future.

http://www.cwseed.com/

And on the CW itself, I'm a huge fan of The 100. For some reason that show mesmerizes me.
The Conservative Fist: https://twitter.com/arguedpolitics - follow me and I'll follow you.

geronl

« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2016, 01:54:20 AM »
I have a small offering if anyone is interested. Little novel called Cat's Claw. It's sci-fi, written in the style of the old movie serials.

There's a blurb and a sample chapter on my website, if anyone wants to read it though, just drop me a PM and I'll hook you up with a copy.

That is a very good chapter. I need to be writing rather than reading though. I've got a couple things to finish and then I had this story idea I was calling "Escape from the Free Republic".... nothing definite, just an idea for now.

geronl

« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2016, 06:37:48 PM »
I am going to need a beta reader for the novella in a few days. It's not very long, but it might grow a little in the next couple of days during rewrites.

Offline kevindavis

• Cat Mod
« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2016, 07:09:06 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3lcGnMhvsA" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3lcGnMhvsA</a>

Gus Grissom

Offline kevindavis

• Cat Mod
« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2016, 07:10:15 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdSz12Glhlw" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdSz12Glhlw</a>

Gus Grissom

geronl

« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2016, 07:11:14 PM »
I can do it as long as it starts after next Sunday.  I'm writing a 15-page paper at the moment.

I wanted to have it posted by then, but if I can't then I'll PM you.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf