Author Topic: The Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Spy, and Superhero Genre  (Read 422185 times)

Offline verga

Re: The Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Spy, and Superhero Genre
« Reply #2350 on: May 31, 2020, 04:31:34 pm »
Space Force on Netflix was definitely a funny binge watch. Dragged a bit towards the end but not bad.

Solid 7 1/2.
Watched the first one. I liked it, wife not so much. I will watch the rest of it.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #2351 on: May 31, 2020, 04:37:25 pm »
Watched the first one. I liked it, wife not so much. I will watch the rest of it.

It kinda grew on me and the next thing I knew I was on episode ten. Let me know what you think of it @verga
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #2352 on: May 31, 2020, 04:56:11 pm »
It kinda grew on me and the next thing I knew I was on episode ten. Let me know what you think of it @verga

It's pretty funny, though I kind of dislike some of the negative satire it made of our military.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #2353 on: June 13, 2020, 12:09:49 am »
Thanks, @Gefn I'll check it out.
I'm with you on the biblical version vs the virtual reality one.  (Does the VR one have all those darned pop-up ads?)
Yes. There are pop-up ads in VR heaven.
Watched all of UPLOAD currently available and liked it a lot.
Has a slow start. Almost gave up after episode 2.
But I am glad I stayed to the end. It was worth it.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #2354 on: June 13, 2020, 05:17:50 pm »
Yes. There are pop-up ads in VR heaven.
Watched all of UPLOAD currently available and liked it a lot.
Has a slow start. Almost gave up after episode 2.
But I am glad I stayed to the end. It was worth it.

Glad you liked it @240B

I also liked the talking dog. I agree. Once you get into it, I binge watched the entire thing. It’s just a shame season two won’t be aired until 2022.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #2355 on: September 09, 2020, 08:41:53 pm »
Watched Season 1 of Away on Netflix. Expectations were low, and I'm pretty love-hate on Hillary Swank, but in the end it was decent.

There was a fair lack of political correctness that's pretty typical for this genre anymore, and the acting and plot were pretty good.

It is definitely watchable even if not Emmy award winning.
The Republic is lost.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #2356 on: September 09, 2020, 09:15:50 pm »
Watched Season 1 of Away on Netflix. Expectations were low, and I'm pretty love-hate on Hillary Swank, but in the end it was decent.

There was a fair lack of political correctness that's pretty typical for this genre anymore, and the acting and plot were pretty good.

We're through the first two episodes, and it seems pretty good.  Sadly the Expanse went into a full blown NWO feeding frenzy. Stopped watching for now (midway through Season 2).  Got to admit that the Expanse does has some of the best bang up Sci Fi Effects ever made.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline verga

« Reply #2357 on: September 10, 2020, 01:31:20 pm »

We are up to episode 3 or 4. Seems like it has potential. Not your typical Sci-Fi shoot um up, but so far a good story.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline verga

« Reply #2358 on: September 10, 2020, 01:32:21 pm »
We're through the first two episodes, and it seems pretty good.  Sadly the Expanse went into a full blown NWO feeding frenzy. Stopped watching for now (midway through Season 2).  Got to admit that the Expanse does has some of the best bang up Sci Fi Effects ever made.
Halfway through the first season and i just could not get into it.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #2359 on: September 10, 2020, 01:42:24 pm »
FYI, check out Raised by Wolves..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #2360 on: September 10, 2020, 02:02:10 pm »
Season 5 of The Expanse is supposed to come out in December.
Although nothing has been announced yet.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #2361 on: September 11, 2020, 11:36:26 am »
Saw an article on the Dune movie.

Got to confess I never read the book(s) but the buzz on this film is really good.

Now the movie I’m looking forward to is Foundation (Asimov)
That should be wonderful or a turkey.

Offline verga

« Reply #2362 on: September 11, 2020, 12:43:27 pm »

Got to confess I never read the book(s) but the buzz on this film is really good.

Have not seen any add for "Foundation" when is it coming out?

Found it on YouTube. Might be good, loved the books.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 12:48:39 pm by verga »

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #2363 on: September 11, 2020, 12:49:30 pm »
Have not seen any add for "Foundation" when is it coming out?

@verga

Supposedly next year. Upset with platform, hardly anyone has it.

https://www.inverse.com/entertainment/foundation-on-apple-tv-release-date-trailer-cast-plot-asimov-show

Offline Sled Dog

• The Ultimate Weapon: Freedom - I Won't
« Reply #2364 on: February 28, 2021, 04:27:29 pm »

They're going to rape the Foundation series?    That there is a very complex tale and not something easily adaptable to an action/adventure format that audiences expect from sf video.

They totally trashed I, Robot, for example.

Foundation spans half a thousand years, the characters from one book are almost dead in the next, Hari Seldon exists throughout as a recorded holograph.  The best they could do would be adapt the first book, then stop.

Almost certainly going to be a gobbler, IMO.  But the trailer looks technically good. 
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 04:32:01 pm by Sled Dog »
The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.

BassWrangler

« Reply #2365 on: February 28, 2021, 04:36:12 pm »
Oh, can't believe I missed this thread before. I used to read sci-fi and fantasy books at a prolific rate, but in my youth I ran out of all the books from the authors I liked (Heinlein, Asimov, Clark, Pohl, Moorcock, Zelazny,...) and have struggled to find new authors that don't suck.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2366 on: February 28, 2021, 08:43:38 pm »
Oh, can't believe I missed this thread before. I used to read sci-fi and fantasy books at a prolific rate, but in my youth I ran out of all the books from the authors I liked (Heinlein, Asimov, Clark, Pohl, Moorcock, Zelazny,...) and have struggled to find new authors that don't suck.
@BassWrangler Rummage around in here: https://www.baen.com/categories/free-library.html
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 08:51:26 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

BassWrangler

« Reply #2367 on: February 28, 2021, 11:38:38 pm »
@BassWrangler Rummage around in here: https://www.baen.com/categories/free-library.html

Thanks, @Smokin Joe! I like to read everything from an author once I start. But there are so many these days, and also so many mediocre ones. Looking for some really great. Have you read any of the series here?

https://discoverscifi.com/the-top-10-space-opera-books-or-series-of-all-time

I've read the Dune and Enders series, but not the others there.

Offline thackney

« Reply #2368 on: March 01, 2021, 12:49:40 am »
Thanks, @Smokin Joe! I like to read everything from an author once I start. But there are so many these days, and also so many mediocre ones. Looking for some really great. Have you read any of the series here?

Thanks for sharing, bookmark space opera
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2369 on: March 01, 2021, 08:09:40 am »

I have read the Dune series, including the house prequels by Herbert's son, also worthy reads. I also read much of the Honor Harrington series by David Weber, and Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. All good stuff. I'm not familiar with the others, and thank you for pointing them out. I like books which keep going, as long as the story doesn't get dragged out to sell more volumes.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline thackney

« Reply #2370 on: March 01, 2021, 01:03:22 pm »
I like books which keep going, as long as the story doesn't get dragged out to sell more volumes.

Then you get "A Wheel of Time"....

Arrrgggggg!
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #2371 on: March 01, 2021, 02:20:56 pm »
I too grew up reading Asimov, Bradbury, Clarke, Campbell, Heinlein , etc. I think the last SF “new” writers I was reading were from the 70s.

I discovered John Scalzi a few years ago and I like him, but I’ve only read a few books by him and he’s quite prolific. I did really enjoy “Agent to the Stars”, and “Red Shirts” (but not as much). The latter was good if you’re a Trekkie. The first one was just enjoyable and did make some fun of Hollywood as well.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #2372 on: March 01, 2021, 03:23:17 pm »
All these replies,and no mention of the Analog Science Fiction and Fact,or Issac Asimov's Science Fiction monthly mags?

BEST damn reading you  can get in the mail each month.

So good I have even given a years subscription to both to the children of friends that I knew to be very bright. So far I am batting a big fat 0 on this. One is in the Air Force as enlisted swine,and his sister who also got gift subscriptions is a bar bitch with an impressive arrest record. I doubt either did anything but throw them away.

Lost contact with the other families.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 03:24:46 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline verga

« Reply #2373 on: March 01, 2021, 11:16:54 pm »
They're going to rape the Foundation series?    That there is a very complex tale and not something easily adaptable to an action/adventure format that audiences expect from sf video.

They totally trashed I, Robot, for example.

Foundation spans half a thousand years, the characters from one book are almost dead in the next, Hari Seldon exists throughout as a recorded holograph.  The best they could do would be adapt the first book, then stop.

Almost certainly going to be a gobbler, IMO.  But the trailer looks technically good.
I don't get Apple tv, and until I am certain that the series will at least be decent.....

BassWrangler

« Reply #2374 on: March 01, 2021, 11:38:46 pm »
I have read the Dune series, including the house prequels by Herbert's son, also worthy reads. I also read much of the Honor Harrington series by David Weber, and Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. All good stuff. I'm not familiar with the others, and thank you for pointing them out. I like books which keep going, as long as the story doesn't get dragged out to sell more volumes.

When I read your comment about dragging things out, the immediate thing that came to my mind was George RR Martin. LOL.