Author Topic: The Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Spy, and Superhero Genre  (Read 419775 times)

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Re: The Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Spy, and Superhero Genre
« Reply #2075 on: February 08, 2019, 09:52:58 pm »
Now I'm currently watching the Eureka series on Amazon Prime.
Sheriff Carter has to be gay. Either that or he is incapacitated with sexual insecurity.

Every second episode he has some hot woman falling all over him, but all he does every time some woman is basically begging for sex is to resist all her attempts. I'm only on Season 2 and already the guy could have had sex with half the women in the town. And yet all he does is run away?

I know this is a common plot theme on TV where a guy is being attacked by an aggressive woman and he feels uncomfortable and evades her. I've seen it a lot. This is supposed to be funny or something? But come on, the Sheriff is being aggressively hit on by beautiful women all the time, but because his character is supposed to be 'virtuous' or something he never follows through. It is confusing to me. I don't understand what his problem is? Why did they make his character profile afraid of sex. It's weird.
You should check out Andromeda, Captain Dylan Hunt is getting it almost every show from some hot chick, it's almost a running gag. And of course it's another Roddenberry show.

Offline verga

« Reply #2076 on: February 09, 2019, 12:23:13 am »
Maybe he was afraid of a sexual harassment suit, seriously. He was in a position of power, and did not want to abuse the position.

He was just trying to act like a professional. It is sad that is considered so abnormal or shocking.

I understand both of these responses. And I have experienced and done this in my own life and my own career. I understand first hand exactly what both of you are saying. However, in Science Fiction I kind of like the Captain Kirk model. As Sci-Fi fantasies go, he had no compunctions to satisfy a needy lady.
Me, not so much. I am more interested in the story than what goes on between the sheets. Two perfect examples we used to watch a show on Scy-Fy called Lost girl. Good story for a while. Then they got into this gratuitous lezbo stuff. If the sex is relevant to the story (Straight or gay) I have no problem. But  when they throw it in just tot throw it in, I have an issue.
Next Used to watch the new version of SWAT. Then they had the bisexual female get involved in a three way marriage. That ended my viewing that show.   
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #2077 on: February 09, 2019, 01:18:09 am »
Me, not so much. I am more interested in the story than what goes on between the sheets. Two perfect examples we used to watch a show on Scy-Fy called Lost girl. Good story for a while. Then they got into this gratuitous lezbo stuff. If the sex is relevant to the story (Straight or gay) I have no problem. But  when they throw it in just tot throw it in, I have an issue.
Next Used to watch the new version of SWAT. Then they had the bisexual female get involved in a three way marriage. That ended my viewing that show.   
@verga
No, it's not like that. I'm not looking for a sex show or anything sexual really. It is just that they bring it up, put the Sheriff in that situation in the show, and then they order him to 'stand down'. This is not normal behavior for a normal guy. It is like they are pushing the fact that he is somehow awkward around women. I guess that makes him endearing or something. For me it is more annoying.

BTW, speaking of Sci-Fi sex, it wasn't only Captain Kirk. Spock got in the mix himself with the Romulan Commander.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 02:04:44 am by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #2078 on: February 09, 2019, 03:28:46 am »
@verga
No, it's not like that. I'm not looking for a sex show or anything sexual really. It is just that they bring it up, put the Sheriff in that situation in the show, and then they order him to 'stand down'. This is not normal behavior for a normal guy. It is like they are pushing the fact that he is somehow awkward around women. I guess that makes him endearing or something. For me it is more annoying.

BTW, speaking of Sci-Fi sex, it wasn't only Captain Kirk. Spock got in the mix himself with the Romulan Commander.

Have you watched Fringe?
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline verga

« Reply #2079 on: February 09, 2019, 12:19:27 pm »
Have you watched Fringe?
Start to finish, loved it. I thought it went off the rails a boit toward the end with the whole "Amber" story.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline verga

« Reply #2080 on: February 09, 2019, 12:26:17 pm »
@verga

@240B maybe you misunderstood, I have nothing against sex in a show as long as it moves the story. Let's face it with out the incest "there is not story for "Tis Pity she's a whore". My issue is gratuitous sex or when they use it to try and normalize truly deviant behavior.

Offline Snarknado

• Anti
« Reply #2081 on: February 09, 2019, 09:37:16 pm »
I see Prime Video has Stargate SG-1 now - is that worth watching?
---
Everything I need to know I learned in GTA

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #2082 on: February 09, 2019, 10:46:40 pm »

Yes, it is.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #2083 on: February 09, 2019, 11:04:00 pm »
@Sharknado

Watched all of SG-1, Stargate Atlantis and the movies, StarGate and Ark of Truth.
The only thing you need to know about SG-1 is that it lasted for 10 Seasons. That's a hell of run. People liked it.

If you watch it prepare for lots and lots, I mean a lot, of automatic weapons fire. The shows are full of it.

Also, in the first few seasons they have the bad guys dressed up in goofy Egyptian snake looking costumes. It almost made me stop watching because I thought that the show was for 10 years old. But they drop that fairly quickly and the show becomes more adult oriented. Enjoy it.

You should watch the movie 'Stargate' first. Because the movie inspired the series.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 11:06:15 pm by 240B »
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Snarknado

• Anti
« Reply #2084 on: February 10, 2019, 01:08:15 am »
Thanks guys - I remember the movie being pretty good - I'll put it on my list...
---

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #2085 on: February 10, 2019, 01:11:34 am »
Thanks guys - I remember the movie being pretty good - I'll put it on my list...
@Snarknado

The Arc of Truth movie is a follow on after the end of the Series. If you watch it before you watch the series, you will not really understand what is going on.

Offline Snarknado

• Anti
« Reply #2086 on: February 10, 2019, 02:43:35 am »
@Snarknado

The Arc of Truth movie is a follow on after the end of the Series. If you watch it before you watch the series, you will not really understand what is going on.

Where does Continuum fit in?
---

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #2087 on: February 10, 2019, 02:46:27 am »
@Snarknado
Fit in with what? Never heard of it. I don't understand the question.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #2088 on: February 10, 2019, 02:56:09 am »

@Sharknado

Here is the order that I recomend for watching Stargate:

Stargate: The Movie
Stargate: SG1
Stargate: The Ark of the Truth
Stargate: Atlantis
Stargate: Universe

As for Stargate: Continuum I would watch it after The Ark of the Truth. It was OK, but not the greatest.

Offline Snarknado

• Anti
« Reply #2089 on: February 10, 2019, 12:05:19 pm »
I found a Reddit post with this order - looks like last 3 seasons of SG1 overlap Atlantis, maybe some crossover episodes?

* 01 - Stargate movie
* 02 - Stargate SG-1, episodes 1.1 to 8.2
* 03 - Stargate Atlantis, episodes 1.1 to 1.15
* 04 - Stargate SG-1, episodes 8.3 to 8.20
* 05 - Stargate Atlantis, episodes 1.16 to 2.1
* 06 - Stargate SG-1, episodes 9.1 to 10.2
* 07 - Stargate Atlantis, episodes 2.2 to 3.4
* 08 - Stargate SG-1, episodes 10.3 to 10.12
* 09 - Stargate Atlantis, episodes 3.5 to 3.19
* 10 - Stargate SG-1, episodes 10.13 to 10.20
* 11 - Stargate: The Ark of Truth
* 12 - Stargate Atlantis, episodes 3.20 to 5.1
* 13 - Stargate: Continuum
* 14 - Stargate Atlantis, episodes 5.2 onwards.
* 15 - Stargate Universe, All
---

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #2090 on: February 10, 2019, 03:34:15 pm »
I found a Reddit post with this order - looks like last 3 seasons of SG1 overlap Atlantis, maybe some crossover episodes?

* 01 - Stargate movie
* 02 - Stargate SG-1, episodes 1.1 to 8.2
* 03 - Stargate Atlantis, episodes 1.1 to 1.15
* 04 - Stargate SG-1, episodes 8.3 to 8.20
* 05 - Stargate Atlantis, episodes 1.16 to 2.1
* 06 - Stargate SG-1, episodes 9.1 to 10.2
* 07 - Stargate Atlantis, episodes 2.2 to 3.4
* 08 - Stargate SG-1, episodes 10.3 to 10.12
* 09 - Stargate Atlantis, episodes 3.5 to 3.19
* 10 - Stargate SG-1, episodes 10.13 to 10.20
* 11 - Stargate: The Ark of Truth
* 12 - Stargate Atlantis, episodes 3.20 to 5.1
* 13 - Stargate: Continuum
* 14 - Stargate Atlantis, episodes 5.2 onwards.
* 15 - Stargate Universe, All
@Snarknado
Yes. SG-1 and Atlantis do overlap. They define several of the Atlantis characters in the SG series toward the end. And Atlantis is reference many times in SG-1 as "the lost city". Atlantis is simply a continuation of SG-1. The two are basically the same show.

Offline verga

« Reply #2091 on: February 10, 2019, 09:26:00 pm »
Definitely.

Offline verga

« Reply #2092 on: February 10, 2019, 09:27:47 pm »
 888mouth
After Ark of Truth, it kind of wraps up a couple of things.

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #2093 on: February 10, 2019, 09:42:29 pm »

Strip it all down and T&A sells. Get rid of the Space Dr Dentons, the Yuma Territory trusses, and the Jane Jetson 1960s Back To The Future look, and it's still T&A.

Roddenbury's mannequins had all the 'character/s' of a recycled cardboard box.
Yep, the guys I worked with while the show was on the air called 'Troi' commander cleavage. She was definitely a proud mama. An episode when Picard was replaced with a new captain, the first thing he said to Troi was for her to put on a real uniform. - lol

T'pal did the skin tight full body suit like 7 of 9. And she looked good in it. BTW, Marina Sirtis the actress who played Troi, described those body suits as more like 'body molds' than body suits. They were so tight they could make any woman look smoking hot.

In the original Star Trek, it was implied rather obviously that Captain Kirk and his yoeman Janice Rand had a thing going on. Although it was never said explicitly during the series. It would be inappropriate for the Captain to hit on his secretary so they kept it on the down low.

But yes, I agree almost all the women on the various Star Trek franchises were used as sex magnets. Sex sells.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 09:43:47 pm by 240B »

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #2094 on: February 14, 2019, 12:11:17 am »
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 12:12:59 am by Machiavelli »

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #2095 on: February 14, 2019, 12:29:04 am »
Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams - Season 1
There is a series on AP called Electric Dreams. It fascinated me. Not because it was a good series, but because all of the shows in the series were rehashed Sci-Fi themes. I had fun remembering which Outer Limits, Twilight Zone, or other Sci-Fi themes, each of the shows was based on. All of the shows in this series are derived from previous Sci-Fi shows.

It is like a trivia or a memory test to remember which of these shows belongs to which Sci-Fi show in the past. That part was fun for me, even though the shows themselves were not all that good. But then again, it is very hard to impress all of us old-timer Sci-Fi nuts, because we have seen it all before.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #2096 on: February 14, 2019, 02:24:22 am »
Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams - Season 1
There is a series on AP called Electric Dreams. It fascinated me. Not because it was a good series, but because all of the shows in the series were rehashed Sci-Fi themes. I had fun remembering which Outer Limits, Twilight Zone, or other Sci-Fi themes, each of the shows was based on. All of the shows in this series are derived from previous Sci-Fi shows.

It is like a trivia or a memory test to remember which of these shows belongs to which Sci-Fi show in the past. That part was fun for me, even though the shows themselves were not all that good. But then again, it is very hard to impress all of us old-timer Sci-Fi nuts, because we have seen it all before.

I enjoyed that show.

Offline kevindavis007

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2098 on: February 15, 2019, 01:23:10 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Amy5tXk3Dl4

One of the things I really loved about The Expanse is that the science conforms with physics, for the most part. Objects in space don't fly like jets in atmosphere, but move according to force vectors without any aerodynamic effects. Watching them flip the ship in a fight instead of fly in some half circle, evacuating atmosphere and suiting up for a fight using kinetic weapons, all made sense. Finally!
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #2099 on: February 15, 2019, 02:04:56 am »
One of the things I really loved about The Expanse is that the science conforms with physics, for the most part. Objects in space don't fly like jets in atmosphere, but move according to force vectors without any aerodynamic effects. Watching them flip the ship in a fight instead of fly in some half circle, evacuating atmosphere and suiting up for a fight using kinetic weapons, all made sense. Finally!

The Starfuries in Babylon 5 acted that way in the mid-90s.

Sorry...
Let it burn.