Author Topic: The Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Spy, and Superhero Genre  (Read 419855 times)

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
Re: The Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Spy, and Superhero Genre
« Reply #2050 on: January 27, 2019, 08:46:57 pm »
10 Underrated Science Fiction Movies You Must See

Sorry...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpafYC2Snek

10. Pi
9. Altered States
8. Colossal
7. The Guyver
6. Hardware
5. Robot Jox
4. Strange Days
3. These Final Hours
2. Zardoz
1. Zathura: A Space Adventure

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #2051 on: January 27, 2019, 09:21:44 pm »
See the source image
Watched a couple of original Star Trek recently.
I was struck by how while all the men were wearing slacks, they had all the women wearing panties and what is essentially an over sized xxl tee-shirt. So essentially the women were running around in their underwear. If one of these women bent over even slightly they would be flashing panties, not that they showed that in the series. The producers were careful about that.

Doubt they would get away with that these days. Too sexist. Of course that changed in all the other versions.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #2052 on: January 27, 2019, 09:22:35 pm »
Finally caught up on Salvation on CBS. and I can see why they cancelled the show.

It went from to fighting a terrorist organization to fight some global conspiracy to fighting a cult (which was tied to the conspiracy group). While an asteroid (which it wasn't one at all) was heading to Earth.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #2053 on: January 27, 2019, 09:27:03 pm »
See the source image
I was struck by how while all the men were wearing slacks, they had all the women wearing panties and what is essentially an over sized xxl tee-shirt. So essentially the women were running around in their underwear. If one of these women bent over even slightly they would be flashing panties, not that they showed that in the series. The producers were careful about that.

Doubt they would get away with that these days. Too sexist. Of course that changed in all the other versions.

I know what you mean.

Also, I saw that Gene did on the set that almost got him fired by Lucy (before she sold Desilu to Paramount). But she was stopped.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #2054 on: January 27, 2019, 09:31:27 pm »
See the source image

@240B

Well,their target audience WAS teenage boys. Just look at how high their ratings would have been if they had the ladies bend over occasionally.

Not that I was interested in that sort of thing,mind you.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #2055 on: January 27, 2019, 09:51:36 pm »
@240B

Well,their target audience WAS teenage boys. Just look at how high their ratings would have been if they had the ladies bend over occasionally.

Not that I was interested in that sort of thing,mind you.
I started watching when I was about 15. So you can imagine what kind of rutting state I was in. However, I was also stupid. I was confused why you never saw their panties with a dress that freaking short? Even when they fainted or were injured the women always happened to land in such a way as to remain modest. As a stupid horny kid, I always wondered why that was? I thought it was just luck.

Of course we know now that in the 60s had they not maintained modesty that would have gotten the show cancelled.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2056 on: January 28, 2019, 04:31:19 am »
I started watching when I was about 15. So you can imagine what kind of rutting state I was in. However, I was also stupid. I was confused why you never saw their panties with a dress that freaking short? Even when they fainted or were injured the women always happened to land in such a way as to remain modest. As a stupid horny kid, I always wondered why that was? I thought it was just luck.

Of course we know now that in the 60s had they not maintained modesty that would have gotten the show cancelled.
We knew why that was. Consider the X rated movies of the day:
A Clockwork Orange,
I am Curious (yellow),
Rosemary's Baby,
Andy Warhol's Flesh for Frankenstein... (all available on You Tube).

Showing a set of ladies' skivvies on TV was  a definite no-no.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #2057 on: January 29, 2019, 02:02:09 pm »
Anyone watching second season of the Orville?

I know someone has an avatar from the show, but I’m drawing a blank
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #2058 on: January 29, 2019, 03:00:33 pm »
Anyone watching second season of the Orville?

I know someone has an avatar from the show, but I’m drawing a blank

@Freya, I am, and @Emjay has the Orville avatar.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #2059 on: February 02, 2019, 05:49:08 am »
Z Nation, season 5 up on Netflix.
The Republic is lost.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #2060 on: February 02, 2019, 01:31:08 pm »
See the source image

Have always been a huge Trek fan.  Roddenberry , and subsequent others realized the importance of careful placement of buxom babes.

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #2061 on: February 03, 2019, 01:08:18 pm »
Gene also dated her:

Offline kevindavis007

Offline kevindavis007

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #2064 on: February 05, 2019, 06:01:22 am »
Have always been a huge Trek fan.  Roddenberry , and subsequent others realized the importance of careful placement of buxom babes.

Strip it all down and T&A sells. Get rid of the Space Dr Dentons, the Yuma Territory trusses, and the Jane Jetson 1960s Back To The Future look, and it's still T&A.

Roddenbury's mannequins had all the 'character/s' of a recycled cardboard box.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 06:02:36 am by To-Whose-Benefit? »
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #2065 on: February 07, 2019, 10:41:23 pm »
This actress really did drive me crazy. One of the few reasons I ever bothered to watch Voyager.

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #2066 on: February 07, 2019, 10:53:56 pm »
Now I'm currently watching the Eureka series on Amazon Prime.
Sheriff Carter has to be gay. Either that or he is incapacitated with sexual insecurity.

Every second episode he has some hot woman falling all over him, but all he does every time some woman is basically begging for sex is to resist all her attempts. I'm only on Season 2 and already the guy could have had sex with half the women in the town. And yet all he does is run away?

I know this is a common plot theme on TV where a guy is being attacked by an aggressive woman and he feels uncomfortable and evades her. I've seen it a lot. This is supposed to be funny or something? But come on, the Sheriff is being aggressively hit on by beautiful women all the time, but because his character is supposed to be 'virtuous' or something he never follows through. It is confusing to me. I don't understand what his problem is? Why did they make his character profile afraid of sex. It's weird.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #2067 on: February 08, 2019, 12:15:18 am »
Sheriff Carter has to be gay. Either that or he is incapacitated with sexual insecurity.

Every second episode he has some hot woman falling all over him, but all he does every time some woman is basically begging for sex is to resist all her attempts. I'm only on Season 2 and already the guy could have had sex with half the women in the town. And yet all he does is run away?

I know this is a common plot theme on TV where a guy is being attacked by an aggressive woman and he feels uncomfortable and evades her. I've seen it a lot. This is supposed to be funny or something? But come on, the Sheriff is being aggressively hit on by beautiful women all the time, but because his character is supposed to be 'virtuous' or something he never follows through. It is confusing to me. I don't understand what his problem is? Why did they make his character profile afraid of sex. It's weird.

Maybe he's afraid SARAH will get jealous?
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #2068 on: February 08, 2019, 12:57:05 am »
Then you wish to copulate? YES! HELL YES! RIGHT NOW! HELL YES!
This common TV theme of men refusing sex from beautiful women is not understood by me. I guess some people get it. I don't. I would be all over her like white on rice. I would have been naked before she finished the sentence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5msgN4QEnA

« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 01:50:42 am by 240B »

Offline verga

« Reply #2069 on: February 08, 2019, 07:26:16 pm »

Maybe he was afraid of a sexual harassment suit, seriously. He was in a position of power, and did not want to abuse the position.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #2070 on: February 08, 2019, 07:31:05 pm »
Maybe he was afraid of a sexual harassment suit, seriously. He was in a position of power, and did not want to abuse the position.

He was just trying to act like a professional. It is sad that is considered so abnormal or shocking.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #2071 on: February 08, 2019, 07:52:53 pm »
He was just trying to act like a professional. It is sad that is considered so abnormal or shocking.

I wasn't going to tell him that. 

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #2072 on: February 08, 2019, 08:05:01 pm »

I understand both of these responses. And I have experienced and done this in my own life and my own career. I understand first hand exactly what both of you are saying. However, in Science Fiction I kind of like the Captain Kirk model. As Sci-Fi fantasies go, he had no compunctions to satisfy a needy lady.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #2073 on: February 08, 2019, 09:24:42 pm »

I understand both of these responses. And I have experienced and done this in my own life and my own career. I understand first hand exactly what both of you are saying. However, in Science Fiction I kind of like the Captain Kirk model. As Sci-Fi fantasies go, he had no compunctions to satisfy a needy lady.

Newsflash - it's not just men who watch those shows.  I loved Eureka.

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #2074 on: February 08, 2019, 09:36:22 pm »
Newsflash - it's not just men who watch those shows.  I loved Eureka.
Of course. And we all know how women hate romance. I can say that I like Eureka. Don't love it. It's OK.
But yes, of course, the Sheriff is a guy. I mean, come on. She's not married. He's not married. She needs it...
I say go for it, for the sake of both of them.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 09:37:29 pm by 240B »