Author Topic: The Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Spy, and Superhero Genre  (Read 421417 times)

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
Re: The Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Spy, and Superhero Genre
« Reply #2000 on: November 25, 2018, 12:17:27 am »
ALL Doctor Who Title Sequences (UPDATED) | Doctor Who

! No longer available

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNszKKAtEwU
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 12:18:18 am by Machiavelli »

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #2001 on: November 25, 2018, 01:31:11 am »
Made a goodfaith effort to watch Mars 3 separate times. I really wanted to like it. But I couldn't take it. The excruciating slow pace, the slow droning narrations, the PBS special type presentation. I could tell there was an actual space story buried in the documentary. Didn't have the patience to slog through all the educational stuff to watch it. If they would separate the story from the documentary, that I could watch.

@240B

There is a Mars that is a documentary,and there is a Mars that is a Sci-Fi series. There is also another one that is a movie.  I started watching the Sci-Fi series Mars one night and really liked and watched maybe 3 episodes. Haven't been able to log on to watch it again since then.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #2002 on: November 25, 2018, 01:45:03 am »
@240B

There is a Mars that is a documentary,and there is a Mars that is a Sci-Fi series. There is also another one that is a movie.  I started watching the Sci-Fi series Mars one night and really liked and watched maybe 3 episodes. Haven't been able to log on to watch it again since then.

The one that is a SF series also includes some short bits of documentary stuff, which I would be okay with if it concentrated on current Mars projects.  Instead it's basically a St Musk commercial, though they did concentrate on greenpeace in the last (last in more than one way in my case) episode. 

Also, they've gone pretty lefty this season in the SF part.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #2003 on: November 28, 2018, 02:05:38 pm »
The one that is a SF series also includes some short bits of documentary stuff, which I would be okay with if it concentrated on current Mars projects.  Instead it's basically a St Musk commercial, though they did concentrate on greenpeace in the last (last in more than one way in my case) episode. 

Did they ever take a hard turn left this season..

Here is what I'm seeing..

1. Mars should be only explored for Scientific reasons. Newsflash Space is not their playground.
2. Corporations are evil.

Of course they have lefties like Kim Stanley Robinson or people from Greenpeace speaking.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #2004 on: November 28, 2018, 04:20:27 pm »

@InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Ok,thanks. I didn't get that far before I couldn't view them for free anymore,so I didn't see that. Too much free stuff that is good to watch to pay for anything unless it is "Game of Thrones" good.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #2005 on: November 29, 2018, 01:55:55 am »
Margaret Atwood Is Writing A Sequel To 'The Handmaid's Tale'

Merrit Kennedy
NPR
November 28, 2018

More than 30 years after the release of The Handmaid's Tale, author Margaret Atwood has announced there's going to be a sequel.

Penguin Random House said Wednesday that the new novel is set to be published on Sept. 10, 2019. It's called The Testaments and will take place 15 years after The Handmaid's Tale left off. The story will be told by three female characters, according to the U.S. publisher.

The Handmaid's Tale, a dystopian novel set in the fictional theocratic dictatorship of Gilead, has risen again to prominence with a critically acclaimed TV series based on the book that started airing in 2017.

More
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 01:56:44 am by Machiavelli »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #2006 on: November 29, 2018, 02:17:30 am »
Margaret Atwood Is Writing A Sequel To 'The Handmaid's Tale'

Merrit Kennedy
NPR
November 28, 2018

More

Oh, yaaay...... **nononono*

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #2007 on: November 30, 2018, 02:40:56 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfzEFx0NzCo

I think I have seen this before..

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #2008 on: December 01, 2018, 03:17:05 am »
I like SciFi, but I'm usually disappointed with it.  Recently I've read a bunch of Alastair Reynolds' stuff and really enjoyed it.  The science seems pretty solid (he works for the ESA).  He adds some interesting technical developments which lead society to make interesting decisions and explores the potential outcomes without a noticeable political bias one way or the other.

I recommend Chasm City as an introduction.  It's a good representation of his style, and my favorite so far.  You may find it listed as part of the Revelation Space "series", but it's really not, IMO, it's fine as a standalone work as it doesn't depend on earlier works, it just exists in the same "universe".
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #2009 on: December 04, 2018, 02:08:48 am »
Moon on Netflix is fun.  life changing? no. worth watching? hell yes.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #2010 on: December 07, 2018, 12:45:45 pm »
I don't know if it is just me but Vikings have been kinda gone downhill.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #2011 on: December 07, 2018, 03:02:46 pm »
I don't know if it is just me but Vikings have been kinda gone downhill.

The series or real life?

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #2012 on: December 07, 2018, 03:04:56 pm »
The series or real life?

The series..

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #2013 on: December 07, 2018, 06:29:50 pm »
The series or real life?

@Sanguine

Both,and for the same reasons. Too many "real" Vikings have died off,leaving the wusses to father the future generations.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #2014 on: December 07, 2018, 06:37:36 pm »
@Sanguine

Both,and for the same reasons. Too many "real" Vikings have died off,leaving the wusses to father the future generations.

Pretty much my point.   :beer:

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2015 on: December 08, 2018, 09:24:14 pm »
@Sanguine

Nah. They left. One of the things that traditionally made this country great was that we got the best and the brightest from elsewhere who came here looking for opportunity to do something with what they had.

Now we just seem to get people who want a handout.
Unfortunately, we have our own wusses who are taking over here, and where is a Viking to go?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #2016 on: December 08, 2018, 09:25:04 pm »
Nah. They left. One of the things that traditionally made this country great was that we got the best and the brightest from elsewhere who came here looking for opportunity to do something with what they had.

Unfortunately, we have our own wusses who are taking over here, and where is a Viking to go?

That's a great question.  I hear Honduras is almost empty.   :shrug:

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #2017 on: December 08, 2018, 09:29:56 pm »
That's a great question.  I hear Honduras is almost empty.   :shrug:
Too d@mned hot! The ones here settled Minnesota, North Dakota, (eastern) Montana--all areas where there are 6 months of winter and six months of hard sledding....

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #2018 on: December 08, 2018, 09:48:15 pm »
and where is a Viking to go

Where? To Go A Viking, of course.

@Sanguine  @Smokin Joe
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #2019 on: December 08, 2018, 10:26:22 pm »

@Smokin Joe

Yeah,most of the adventerous/spirited blood went off on raids and never returned home because they died,and a lot of them never returned home because they liked the local women and the warmer climates,and when offered farms and no more freezing,they jumped at it. It was the Viking blood that gave the European Royalty some back bone,especially the French.

Seems like damn few came to America,though. The ones that did come here either with Eric Red Beard or his son,I can't remember which,had their asses ran off by the natives.

What America ended up getting was the placid farmers looking for free land they didn't have to fight to obtain.

Welll,ya can't blame them when we put out signs advertising "free stuff,just come and get it!",and then beg them to come. There is fault,but it's not theirs.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 10:27:40 pm by sneakypete »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #2020 on: December 08, 2018, 10:37:45 pm »

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #2021 on: December 12, 2018, 05:35:33 pm »
Well since I'm taking it for the team to watch National Geograpic Mars I might as well tell it is 100% crap. I don't mind documentary,  and the challenges they show. However, this week's episode was pure bulls**t. Moslty Trump bashing and having people push man-made Climate Change. Thank god next week is the sesason finale.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #2022 on: December 13, 2018, 04:58:59 am »
Well since I'm taking it for the team to watch National Geograpic Mars I might as well tell it is 100% crap. I don't mind documentary,  and the challenges they show. However, this week's episode was pure bulls**t. Moslty Trump bashing and having people push man-made Climate Change. Thank god next week is the sesason finale.
Unfortunately, since NatGeo embraced the whole AGW thing (without so much as looking back) they have become less credible than Mickey Mouse. It's sad, as far as I am concerned, because their magazine in the '60s (and earlier issues) was a font of information about archaeology and the world.
Now it's just another political tool.

C S Lewis

Offline verga

« Reply #2023 on: December 13, 2018, 03:05:01 pm »
Unfortunately, since NatGeo embraced the whole AGW thing (without so much as looking back) they have become less credible than Mickey Mouse. It's sad, as far as I am concerned, because their magazine in the '60s (and earlier issues) was a font of information about archaeology and the world.
Now it's just another political tool.
You forgot to mention the half-naked natives.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #2024 on: December 13, 2018, 09:46:14 pm »
You forgot to mention the half-naked natives.
Any more they are all wearing T-shirts. Most of the half naked ones were in black and white.  Besides I read it for the articles.... :whistle:
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 09:46:51 pm by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis