Author Topic: The Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Spy, and Superhero Genre  (Read 422173 times)

Offline kevindavis007

Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
Re: The Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Spy, and Superhero Genre
« Reply #151 on: June 10, 2016, 09:50:10 pm »
Let it burn.

Offline Ghost Bear

« Reply #152 on: June 10, 2016, 09:58:11 pm »
Is this going to have an all-lesbo cast like Ghostbusters?

If it does at least my wife won't make me go see it. (She was a big BG fangirl of the original series.)
Let it burn.

Offline Ghost Bear

« Reply #153 on: June 10, 2016, 10:53:45 pm »
I've heard the ladies liked that Dirk Benedict guy.....

Oh yeah... wife wrote fan-fic that killed off Apollo and made Starbuck the hero/main character... 
Let it burn.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #154 on: June 11, 2016, 01:40:09 pm »
(Rocket J. Squirrel)  Again????  (/Rocket J. Squirrel)

If done right.. I like both version of BSG.. Not G80...

geronl

« Reply #155 on: June 14, 2016, 09:12:39 pm »
THE MARTIAN

It was enjoyable but I can't really say it was very original.

My first problem with it was the Hermes was far larger and more advanced than we are likely going to be able to build in that scenario. I can overlook that, though.

My second issue is that the main character was out of food, a potato every 3 days, and then the resupply rocket failed. I doubt the guy would have been so healthy and energetic in that scenario. A lot of time passed, what was the guy eating in this time period.

The Hermes crew decides to accelerate and go back to Mars to pick up their stranded friend. I saw this exact same thing happen in a different movie, although I'm not sure which one.

Nitpicking, of course.

It wasn't a bad movie at all, it was well-made and I liked it.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #156 on: June 14, 2016, 09:25:58 pm »
THE MARTIAN

It was enjoyable but I can't really say it was very original.

My first problem with it was the Hermes was far larger and more advanced than we are likely going to be able to build in that scenario. I can overlook that, though.

My second issue is that the main character was out of food, a potato every 3 days, and then the resupply rocket failed. I doubt the guy would have been so healthy and energetic in that scenario. A lot of time passed, what was the guy eating in this time period.

The Hermes crew decides to accelerate and go back to Mars to pick up their stranded friend. I saw this exact same thing happen in a different movie, although I'm not sure which one.

Nitpicking, of course.

It wasn't a bad movie at all, it was well-made and I liked it.

I agree with you.. Also the Hermes was going to slow, plus having China helping us?? Uh no thank you.. Other than that, I enjoyed the movie.

geronl

« Reply #157 on: June 14, 2016, 09:35:11 pm »

I agree with you.. Also the Hermes was going to slow, plus having China helping us?? Uh no thank you.. Other than that, I enjoyed the movie.

I also think I saw a woman on the treadmill in Hermes and it wasn't on the outside of the spinning part but the inside of it. I might be remembering wrong, though. I might rewatch and look for that.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #158 on: June 14, 2016, 09:38:46 pm »
I also think I saw a woman on the treadmill in Hermes and it wasn't on the outside of the spinning part but the inside of it. I might be remembering wrong, though. I might rewatch and look for that.

The living quarters was inside the spinning part..

geronl

« Reply #159 on: June 14, 2016, 09:47:23 pm »

The living quarters was inside the spinning part..

I meant that they should be walking on the ceiling from that perspective. I think they did it wrong in one scene from outside the ship. I could be wrong.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #160 on: June 14, 2016, 09:57:10 pm »
I meant that they should be walking on the ceiling from that perspective. I think they did it wrong in one scene from outside the ship. I could be wrong.

Just a minor mistake, but it was still a good movie..

geronl

« Reply #161 on: June 14, 2016, 09:59:57 pm »

Just a minor mistake, but it was still a good movie..

It was indeed.

geronl

« Reply #162 on: June 17, 2016, 08:10:05 am »
In my on-going blog story, I have decided to introduce another female character. Maggie is "on the other side" and Sandy is obviously too young to serve as a love interest for Tom Grier. It's Sandy's older sister Kembra, who is also a rebel group leader (it's a family business!). At the same time I am introducing their father, Enoch, who is like the Godfather of the independence movement on Sync.

Also, this is a space opera. They are going to go into space and attack the fleet directly at some point.

Offline Ghost Bear

« Reply #163 on: June 20, 2016, 05:16:55 pm »
Larry Correia makes fun of New York Daily News columnist Gersh Kuntzman...

Excerpt:

Mr Kuntzman my 10 year old daughter shoots her AR-15 often and she has never shown signs of PTSD so I am assuming she is doing it wrong. Could you look at her picture below and please let us know what she is doing wrong? Is her wrist not limp enough? signed frustrated father

Dear Frustrated, the answer is simple. Your daughter does not have what it takes to be a reporter for a big New York City paper.

(Much more at the link!)
Let it burn.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #164 on: June 20, 2016, 10:56:17 pm »
Larry Correia makes fun of New York Daily News columnist Gersh Kuntzman...

Excerpt:

Mr Kuntzman my 10 year old daughter shoots her AR-15 often and she has never shown signs of PTSD so I am assuming she is doing it wrong. Could you look at her picture below and please let us know what she is doing wrong? Is her wrist not limp enough? signed frustrated father

Dear Frustrated, the answer is simple. Your daughter does not have what it takes to be a reporter for a big New York City paper.

(Much more at the link!)
(With apologies to John Prine)

Frustrated, Frustrated
You have no complaint.
You are what you are and you ain't what you ain't
So listen up buster and listen up good
Stop wishing for hard luck and knocking on wood...
Sii-iigned,

Dear Abbey.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

geronl

« Reply #165 on: June 22, 2016, 12:20:36 pm »
http://flscifi.blogspot.com/2016/06/short-story-sapin-pets.html

The remnant of humanity have spread across the quadrant and become very primitive...

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
« Reply #166 on: June 22, 2016, 10:46:46 pm »
Here's a way this thread could be very useful (I think).  I don't know how all the rest of you feel, but indie self-publishing of ebooks is revolutionizing the SF world.  Writers are no longer at the mercies of (usually left-wing) publishers.  We're seeing a great increase in the available books, and a corresponding increase in viewpoints and voices.  What's a bit more difficult is knowing what you'd like to read.  Sturgeon's law, after all: 90% of anything is crap. 

If we find some ebooks by authors who aren't widely known and find that we enjoy them, we should mention that here and post reviews.  It certainly can't hurt, and might make things easier for those of us who aren't sure what to read.  I'll take a crack at it:

I've recently become aware of Charles Gannon and Michael Z. Williamson.  Gannon's Caine Riordan series and Williamson's Freehold series are quite enjoyable, and will probably resonate well with conservative/libertarian readers.  I also like Tom Kratman, although sometimes (often) his books get a bit roman-a-clefy.  His Carrera series is particularly so, although fun none-the-less.  "A State of Disobedience" pits what is obviously President Hillary against the state of Texas.
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

geronl

« Reply #167 on: June 22, 2016, 11:10:15 pm »
You also cannot judge them by their covers, although that is always the maker of the first impression for those skimming through.

Offline Ghost Bear

« Reply #168 on: June 22, 2016, 11:33:12 pm »
(snip)
If we find some ebooks by authors who aren't widely known and find that we enjoy them, we should mention that here and post reviews.  It certainly can't hurt, and might make things easier for those of us who aren't sure what to read.  I'll take a crack at it:
(snip)

OK, I agree this is a good idea. I've actually been toying with the notion of doing the same on the Good Books thread, but since everything I read is SF/Fantasy and that other thread seems kind of moribund, maybe this would be a better place for it.

A couple of ebooks that I've read recently and really enjoyed were Acts of War by James Young and its sequel, Collisions of the Damned. The books are an Alternate History retelling of World War 2, with the difference being that Hitler was killed early on by a British bombing run, and things went downhill from there. I really enjoyed it, as I thought it made a good "what if" kind of story, plus the naval battle scenes were (I thought) top notch. They're clearly Indie, as they could both use some better editing, but the story telling I thought was great. I recommend them, if you like Military (especially Naval) Alternate History stories.
Let it burn.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #169 on: June 24, 2016, 09:51:22 pm »
Here is an update with regards the new Star Trek show..
http://tvweb.com/star-trek-tv-series-bryan-fuller-debunks-rumors/

geronl

« Reply #170 on: June 24, 2016, 10:13:50 pm »
Captain - hermaphrodite
Commander - Muslim who keeps his child wife in his quarters
Navigator - lesbian
Security Chief - Furrie
Doctor - drunkard
Engineer - social promotion - doesn't know anything about his job

----

These are the voyages of the USS Extruder!

The average episode has the ship coming up on a planet, sending down an away team, some sort of crisis happens, Commander is physically stopped fro strapping on an explosive vest before beaming down. The navigator is always trying to pick up a girl, or "rescue" the commanders child bride to her own quarters... usually stopped by the furrie security chief who has the hots for the navigator...
In the end the Captain usually makes mad love to himself....

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #171 on: June 25, 2016, 02:47:12 am »
Captain - hermaphrodite
Commander - Muslim who keeps his child wife in his quarters
Navigator - lesbian
Security Chief - Furrie
Doctor - drunkard
Engineer - social promotion - doesn't know anything about his job

----

These are the voyages of the USS Extruder!

The average episode has the ship coming up on a planet, sending down an away team, some sort of crisis happens, Commander is physically stopped fro strapping on an explosive vest before beaming down. The navigator is always trying to pick up a girl, or "rescue" the commanders child bride to her own quarters... usually stopped by the furrie security chief who has the hots for the navigator...
In the end the Captain usually makes mad love to himself....
ANd here I thought that ship flew under the flag of the Rainbow Alliance Planetary Empire (RAPE)
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

geronl

« Reply #172 on: June 25, 2016, 08:22:14 am »
I downloaded a random spaceship generator for GIMP!! Blender! (sorry about the brain fart)

Here is the first image I made, for my ongoing blog story.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 09:47:29 pm by geronl »

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
« Reply #173 on: June 25, 2016, 11:51:27 am »
I downloaded a random spaceship generator for GIMP!!

Here is the first image I made, for my ongoing blog story.

And you didn't give us a link of where to get this generator?  For shame!
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

geronl

« Reply #174 on: June 25, 2016, 06:31:13 pm »
And you didn't give us a link of where to get this generator?  For shame!

oops, let me find that