Author Topic: Welcome Thread for the TBR Texas State Chapter  (Read 38984 times)

Offline kennedy

• No relation to those other Kennedys
Re: Welcome Thread for the TBR Texas State Chapter
« Reply #300 on: September 14, 2016, 02:20:15 am »
On my father's side I can trace back 7 generations in Texas to Stephen F. Austin's Old 300.

My mother was born in NYC, met my father in Washington DC after WWII, and moved with my father back to rural central Texas in 1954. I cannot imagine what a culture shock that must have been for her.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #301 on: September 14, 2016, 02:40:14 am »
On my father's side I can trace back 7 generations in Texas to Stephen F. Austin's Old 300.

My mother was born in NYC, met my father in Washington DC after WWII, and moved with my father back to rural central Texas in 1954. I cannot imagine what a culture shock that must have been for her.

Lord yes! Two different worlds!  I would be interested to hear how your mom feels about Texas today.

@kennedy
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 02:40:55 am by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #302 on: September 16, 2016, 10:51:21 pm »
One of the earliest of ancestors on my mom’s side of the family was Noah Smithwick. He wrote a pretty good book about his life in Texas … Evolution of a State or Recollections of Old Texas Days http://utpress.utexas.edu/index.php/books/smievo. He did some work on that famous canon …  you know - that one that Texans dared the Mexicans to “Come and Take It”.

My dad’s side of the family got to Texas in the 1850s.

That is a neat looking book by someone who apparently knew the ground well.  I plan on ordering one to read.

My dad's side had Gideon Lincecum, who got to Texas in 1835 and authored much written material as a noted naturalist along with his contemporary Charles Darwin.  http://www.lib.utexas.edu/taro/utcah/00119/cah-00119.html
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #303 on: September 16, 2016, 10:54:03 pm »

Bet she found out, among other things, there are such things as mosquitos, BBQ and real cowboys.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington