Author Topic: Cruz, Kasich coordinate in new anti-Trump effort  (Read 7369 times)

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
Re: Cruz, Kasich coordinate in new anti-Trump effort
« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2016, 02:15:08 pm »
I think we're drawing way too many conclusions.  Cruz and Kasich may have made an agreement to help each other in select states at the moment. and I see their main objective is keeping Trump from the 1237.  Nothing more than that.  I don't see Kasich agreeing to VP slot.  Cruz and Kasich are at different ends of the conservative spectrum.  I don't beleive that a Cruz/Kasich ticket has formed and I don't see that Cruz has selected Kasich ... he's merely the other candidate left that can help stop Trump.  He won't drop out, so this is Cruz's other option right now.
I agree. I cannot see Kasich being Cruz's VP and hope it is Carly. Of course Kasich can't picture bring VP either- ^-^
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2016, 02:22:50 pm »
Lyin' ESPN gave Ted Cruz three hours of free advertising:

Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

geronl

« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2016, 02:36:17 pm »
Of course Kasich can't picture bring VP either- ^-^

I don't particular trust Kasich or like him at all...

On the lighter side, a trumpette on Facebook just called Kasich and Ted Cruz "traitors" for this. lol.

Trump is not a nation and we are not its' citizens.

Offline AnybodyButaDem

« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2016, 03:17:51 pm »
Gee, Lyin' Ted is sure turning out to be a real DC outsider.   :silly:
Guess who got the NYT's endorsement in the GOP primary?

Bill Cipher

« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2016, 03:21:47 pm »
Gee, Lyin' Ted is sure turning out to be a real DC outsider.   :silly:

Better than getting into bed with McConnell the way STrump's campaign is saying it's doing in KY. 

HAPPY2BME

« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2016, 03:33:17 pm »
http://www.buzzfeed.com/rosiegray/cruz-and-kasich-announce-theyre-making-a-deal-to-stop-trump?utm_term=.fjpMLOQLp#.yxbWak9aN

Rosie Gray
BuzzFeed News Reporter

WASHINGTON — The Cruz and Kasich campaigns announced on Sunday that they are ceding key upcoming states to each other in an effort to stop Donald Trump from winning enough delegates to clinch the nomination.

The statements announcing the coordination came minutes apart on Sunday night, both saying that Ted Cruz will focus on Indiana and allow John Kasich to focus on Oregon and New Mexico. The campaigns are also encouraging allies to do the same. The coordination between the two campaigns marks a new level of anti-Trump activity — and is a tacit acknowledgment that neither of Trump’s competitors have a path to win the nomination outright.

Cruz campaign manager Jeff Roe said in a statement:

“To ensure that we nominate a Republican who can unify the Republican Party and win in November, our campaign will focus its time and resources in Indiana and in turn clear the path for Gov. Kasich to compete in Oregon and New Mexico, and we would hope that allies of both campaigns would follow our lead. In other states holding their elections for the remainder of the primary season, our campaign will continue to compete vigorously to win.”

Kasich chief strategist John Weaver said in his own statement:

“We are very comfortable with our delegate position in Indiana already, and given the current dynamics of the primary there, we will shift our campaign’s resources west and give the Cruz campaign a clear path in Indiana. In turn, we will focus our time and resources in New Mexico and Oregon, both areas that are structurally similar to the Northeast politically, where Gov. Kasich is performing well. We would expect independent third-party groups to do the same and honor the commitments made by the Cruz and Kasich campaigns. We expect to compete with both the Trump and Cruz campaigns in the remaining primary states.”

Both Cruz and Kasich had previously shown little indication that they would team up. Cruz has in recent weeks repeatedly referred to Kasich as a “spoiler,” and just two days ago the main super PAC backing Cruz announced it would spend against Kasich in Indiana. And Cruz’s campaign predicted in a March 15 memo that Cruz would earn a majority of the delegates in New Mexico.

The hope among conservatives working against Trump has long been for more strategic voting and campaigning. Tim Miller, an adviser to one of the anti-Trump groups, Our Principles PAC, had a brief response to the news on Sunday night: “Encouraging. See you in Cleveland.”

Bill Cipher

« Reply #56 on: April 25, 2016, 03:39:08 pm »
Possible duplicate?

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #57 on: April 25, 2016, 05:06:56 pm »
Not the same as a lying Leftist, is it, Frank? If Trump had hooked up with Kasich the anti-Trumps would be apoplectic.

+1   ^-^

« Reply #58 on: April 25, 2016, 05:08:58 pm »
Cruz would have to come out of the closet as a transgendered atheist before he'd lose re-election in Texas.

If you say so.

« Reply #59 on: April 25, 2016, 05:13:59 pm »
Cruz, Kasich and  63% of us Briefing Room members coordinate in new anti-Trump effort.   

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #60 on: April 25, 2016, 05:19:07 pm »
60% of the party is "rigging" it to stop 37% of the party from using delegate math from driving it off a cliff.

The thing is, your 60% is a made up number...or more accurately, you're conflating different groups into some sort of singular anti-Trump movement. Which simply does not exist. Right now, Trump is hitting in the 40-45% direct support area, and there's another solid 15-20 who are considering him...and still more who approve of him in a direct race against Clinton. Your neverTrump group makes up...at best...a small fraction of the overall GOP electorate. Keep in mind, most people who claim they'll never vote for their party's "other guy", actually will win it comes down to crunch time. Most of us have already held our nose and voted for candidates we were not happy with...what's old is new again.
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #61 on: April 25, 2016, 05:32:59 pm »
Sam Stein
‏@samsteinhp
Trump, clearly making the switch to presidential behavior, says he’s never seen someone "eat in such a disgusting fashion” as John Kasich

Philip Rucker ‏@PhilipRucker  10m10 minutes ago
Trump on Kasich: "I have never seen a human being eat in such a disgusting fashion... Takes a pancake and he's shoving it in his mouth."

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #62 on: April 25, 2016, 05:40:30 pm »
The thing is, your 60% is a made up number...or more accurately, you're conflating different groups into some sort of singular anti-Trump movement. Which simply does not exist. Right now, Trump is hitting in the 40-45% direct support area, and there's another solid 15-20 who are considering him...and still more who approve of him in a direct race against Clinton. Your neverTrump group makes up...at best...a small fraction of the overall GOP electorate. Keep in mind, most people who claim they'll never vote for their party's "other guy", actually will win it comes down to crunch time. Most of us have already held our nose and voted for candidates we were not happy with...what's old is new again.

Except Trump is averaging 38% of the vote; he always underperforms his polls. So, 60% of primary voters are not voting for Trump.  That can't be argued.

Trump leads Hillary in ONE state poll; Mississippi, by THREE POINTS (margin of error). 

#NeverTrump was never about the primaries.  It's always been about the general.

Offline bilo

« Reply #63 on: April 25, 2016, 05:44:53 pm »

Looks like a Cruz/Kasich ticket is forming.

I can live with that.

Not my preferred. But beats the heck out of any alternative named Clinton/Trump/Sanders.

The one area I think Kasich might be good is the budget. If he's VP and Cruz delegates this to him it could be a very good match up.

I think the problem is Trump. He will claim the nomination  has been stolen from him and his followers are so fervent I doubt they will vote for Cruz/Kasich, much the same way as I will sit out the election if Trump is the nominee. IOW, it's going to be very difficult to beat hillary because of Trump.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

A-Lert

« Reply #64 on: April 25, 2016, 06:31:50 pm »

When dealing with an authoritian liberal like Trump you do what you have to do tactically to stop him.

"Conservative principles " be damned!  Who couldn't see this coming!  :laughingdog:

« Reply #65 on: April 25, 2016, 07:31:43 pm »
Cruz breaks his word (see email)

Jack for Trump's summation at the end of the email is--wait, how would Rush say it .... wait.... oh, yeah "Right on, right on!!"      :laugh:

A-Lert

« Reply #66 on: April 25, 2016, 07:59:53 pm »
Cruz breaks his word (see email)

Jack for Trump's summation at the end of the email is--wait, how would Rush say it .... wait.... oh, yeah "Right on, right on!!"      :laugh:

But, but, but..........."conservative principles".... :facepalm2:

« Reply #67 on: April 25, 2016, 08:08:35 pm »
The only principle I give a damn about at this point is whatever works to defeat Trumpism.   That's the nation's clear and present danger.

I think these two represent a pretty clear and present danger  . . .    88devil

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #68 on: April 25, 2016, 10:53:10 pm »
Except Trump is averaging 38% of the vote; he always underperforms his polls. So, 60% of primary voters are not voting for Trump.  That can't be argued.

Trump leads Hillary in ONE state poll; Mississippi, by THREE POINTS (margin of error). 

#NeverTrump was never about the primaries.  It's always been about the general.

You just keep gettin' it wrong.

In another thread I cited a dozen states in which Trump OUTperformed the RCP polling averages (not going to look it up again for you, go to RCP and page through the state by state polls vs votes). Further, there was no measurable tendency by any of the 3 remaining candidates to either over NOR under perform relative to their rivals. So you can drop the myth of underperformance vs polling...it just ain't so.

FYI, a new GWU Battleground Poll just came out with Trump in a statistical heat with Mrs Clinton (within the margin of error)...so there goes that weak argument as well. Trump's standing will continue to rise as he nails down the nomination and leads the convention.

Sinkspur, why not just head over to Dailykos and join the other Hillary fanboys? Although, I must admit, you are working very hard for her right here.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #69 on: April 25, 2016, 11:03:18 pm »
You just keep gettin' it wrong.

In another thread I cited a dozen states in which Trump OUTperformed the RCP polling averages (not going to look it up again for you, go to RCP and page through the state by state polls vs votes). Further, there was no measurable tendency by any of the 3 remaining candidates to either over NOR under perform relative to their rivals. So you can drop the myth of underperformance vs polling...it just ain't so.

FYI, a new GWU Battleground Poll just came out with Trump in a statistical heat with Mrs Clinton (within the margin of error)...so there goes that weak argument as well. Trump's standing will continue to rise as he nails down the nomination and leads the convention.

Sinkspur, why not just head over to Dailykos and join the other Hillary fanboys? Although, I must admit, you are working very hard for her right here.

That Battleground poll is an outlier, and you know that.  Just like that silly poll that showed Trump ahead in Wisconsin.  And, yes, Trump HAS underperformed his polls EXCEPT in New York. 

Unfavorables in the 70s with women, 80s with Hispanics and 50s with white men are not indicators that Trump is going to beat Hillary in November.

Thanks for the advice, noob, but I'll pass.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #70 on: April 25, 2016, 11:05:13 pm »

I think the problem is Trump. He will claim the nomination  has been stolen from him and his followers are so fervent I doubt they will vote for Cruz/Kasich, much the same way as I will sit out the election if Trump is the nominee. IOW, it's going to be very difficult to beat hillary because of Trump.

A Trump supporter would reverse that, and say that Cruz and his supporters were the problems.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Fantom

« Reply #71 on: April 25, 2016, 11:11:26 pm »
The one area I think Kasich might be good is the budget. If he's VP and Cruz delegates this to him it could be a very good match up.

Well, the good side to that is at least half of trumps supporters were voting democrat last time..so , no big loss.

Look, I do not particularly like Kasich. Used to back in the 80's.. but he has not aged well with me. But he does have s'port in the N.E.   With all the ..ah "Rockefeller" Republicans.

Truly I feel that is why he is still in this race, many of his s'porters would go trump in the N.E.  So maybe he is there to sap some of trumps s'port. I would not at all be surprised to see him drop out sometime after Indiana as the election heads west and the election turns decidedy to Cruz.. call it a Yuge wave...Youge wave..crashing on the shores of Cali..... a.. Cruzshendo.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #72 on: April 25, 2016, 11:33:46 pm »
Well, the good side to that is at least half of trumps supporters were voting democrat last time..so , no big loss.

Look, I do not particularly like Kasich. Used to back in the 80's.. but he has not aged well with me. But he does have s'port in the N.E.   With all the ..ah "Rockefeller" Republicans.

Truly I feel that is why he is still in this race, many of his s'porters would go trump in the N.E.  So maybe he is there to sap some of trumps s'port. I would not at all be surprised to see him drop out sometime after Indiana as the election heads west and the election turns decidedy to Cruz.. call it a Yuge wave...Youge wave..crashing on the shores of Cali..... a.. Cruzshendo.

Reagan got a lot of support from democrats, too. And if you think Cruz goes over well in California, you are deluded.

Here is California:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/ca/california_republican_presidential_primary-5322.html

Three polls all LV. Most recent lead is 27 points, smallest lead is 7 points. "Most likely outcome" Trump win.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #73 on: April 25, 2016, 11:40:49 pm »
That Battleground poll is an outlier, and you know that.  Just like that silly poll that showed Trump ahead in Wisconsin.  And, yes, Trump HAS underperformed his polls EXCEPT in New York. 

Unfavorables in the 70s with women, 80s with Hispanics and 50s with white men are not indicators that Trump is going to beat Hillary in November.

Thanks for the advice, noob, but I'll pass.

Wow...lets both place $1000 dollar bet on that...the admins can hold both our funds. OR.....you could go look at the RCP poll averages like I told you to do and see that you are completely wrong if you think New York is the only state Trump has outperformed his polls.

That said, I told you my data source...lets hear what yours is for determining that New York is the ONLY state Trump has beaten the polling averages.

I double dog dare ya!

As for the GW Poll being an outlier...not only do you NOT know that, nobody knows that. Until there is more polling AFTER the GW's result to compare with it, there is no way to statistically determine its outlier...or not outlier...status. I think perhaps you don't really understand how polling and statistics work at the basic level.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #74 on: April 25, 2016, 11:42:37 pm »
Reagan got a lot of support from democrats, too. And if you think Cruz goes over well in California, you are deluded.

Here is California:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/ca/california_republican_presidential_primary-5322.html

Three polls all LV. Most recent lead is 27 points, smallest lead is 7 points. "Most likely outcome" Trump win.

Reagan got Democrats with zero help from social media, cable news channels, or a cult of personality. He attracted democrats because he talked of smaller government, a better economy, and respect again on the world stage.   
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn