Author Topic: John Kasich wishes more Republicans liked Democrats’ ideas  (Read 7025 times)

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
Re: John Kasich wishes more Republicans liked Democrats’ ideas
« Reply #75 on: April 23, 2016, 12:39:16 am »
I also want to add here that the hatred both sides feel towards the other prevents them from working together on things they agree on. I know not all of you agree on all of these, but I'll list a few issues that I think could definitely get bipartisan support (at least from the electorate) if people were more open to working together.

-More funding for the VA

-Get money out of politics

-Break up big banks until they are no longer too big to fail

-Fight against trade agreements that hurt the middle class

-Fight against mass surveillance

-Fight against the erosion of our internet freedoms. Everybody seems to be on the same page here, but many are ignorant about what the problems actually are.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 01:17:38 am by Dexter »
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline Fantom

« Reply #76 on: April 23, 2016, 12:42:17 am »
Kasich is not Boehner.  Study his record in Ohio - he pushed to limit the power of public employee unions like Walker did (admittedly, he went too far and was repudiated by the legislature).   Look at his record in Congress, where he was a budget hawk.

Kasich's conservative credentials are bona fide.   Now, I'll come clean - my conservative button issues are economic growth, fiscal responsibility entitlement reform, and sound foreign policy.  Kasich checks all my boxes.   I don't prioritize social issues at all.   I'm just a pragmatist (extreme, no-exceptions abortion planks in the GOP platform cost us votes) and a libertarian when it comes to most social issues (Pot?  Legalize, regulate and tax it)

But for what matters to me,  Kasich is not only a proven conservative,  but his electability gives us a shot at the trifecta - GOP President, GOP Congress, and the ability to appoint Constitutionalist judges.   Do you know how rare an opportunity that is?   Do you realize what we can accomplish with it?  instead we insist on the perfect at the expense of the good,  threatening to nominate an alt-right cretin or a ideological purist with a dark streak like Nixon.   

But carry on, keep trashing Kasich.   We'll get the President we deserve.

Jazz... I like you. You are a honest man with a honest opinion.  We disagree, but your words are worth reading.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline Dexter

« Reply #77 on: April 23, 2016, 12:43:59 am »
Jazz... I like you. You are a honest man with a honest opinion.  We disagree, but your words are worth reading.

Respect.  :beer:
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 12:44:57 am by Dexter »
-Socrates

Offline Fantom

« Reply #78 on: April 23, 2016, 12:47:37 am »
I also want to add here that the hatred both sides feel towards the other prevents them from working together on things they agree on. I know not all of you agree on all of these, but I'll list a few issues that I think could definitely get bipartisan support (at least from the electorate) if people were more open to working together.

-More funding for the VA

-Get money out of politics

-Break up big banks until they are no longer too big to fail

-Fight against trade agreements that hurt the middle class

Money in politics is no problem. If money won elections Jeb Bush would be the nominee.  People vote.. not money.

VA..... end it. Restart a limited battle specialty resource health as needed . But let most medical issues be resolved in the private system with guaranteed payment by the US government. Let out vets go anywhere they choose.

Right with you on breaking up the banks.

Trade agrements.. that is a tuffie...lots of gray there.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline Dexter

« Reply #79 on: April 23, 2016, 12:51:02 am »
Money in politics is no problem. If money won elections Jeb Bush would be the nominee.  People vote.. not money.

When is the last time somebody won a presidential election without many millions of dollars? Access to obscene amounts of money is a mandatory part of being relevant. Your success as a politician should not be limited by how much money you can spend. It should depend on your message and how intelligently you communicate it. You're right that money doesn't guarantee a win, but not having it will guarantee a loss.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 12:54:28 am by Dexter »
-Socrates

HonestJohn

« Reply #80 on: April 23, 2016, 12:52:35 am »

VA..... end it. Restart a limited battle specialty resource health as needed . But let most medical issues be resolved in the private system with guaranteed payment by the US government. Let out vets go anywhere they choose.

Right with you on breaking up the banks.

Trade agrements.. that is a tuffie...lots of gray there.

I'd agree with the VA portion, but the VA does more than just provide (piss-poor) heathcare to vets.  They also pay out disability pensions to veterans.  Somebody has to cover that if the VA goes away.

Maybe keep the VA, but make it small - just big enough to disburse the funds to do the above?

Online mountaineer

« Reply #81 on: April 23, 2016, 12:53:43 am »
When is the last time somebody won a presidential election without many millions of dollars? Access to obscene amounts of money is a mandatory to be relevant. Your success as a politician should not depend on how much money you can spend. It should depend on your message and how intelligently you communicate it. You're right that money doesn't guarantee a win, but not having it will guarantee a loss.
... and then there's the real world. How does one make his message heard without paying for access to the media? How does one pay for air time without raising money?

Most candidates aren't Trump, whose every little fart is broadcast by the news media without his having to pay a dime. Not saying it's a great system, but that is the way things operate.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Dexter

« Reply #82 on: April 23, 2016, 12:56:13 am »
... and then there's the real world. How does one make his message heard without paying for access to the media? How does one pay for air time without raising money?

Most candidates aren't Trump, whose every little fart is broadcast by the news media without his having to pay a dime. Not saying it's a great system, but that is the way things operate.

England has a really good system that I think we should emulate to an extent. Their election process is way quicker and candidates are on a much more even playing field.
-Socrates

Offline Fantom

« Reply #83 on: April 23, 2016, 12:57:00 am »
I'd agree with the VA portion, but the VA does more than just provide (piss-poor) heathcare to vets.  They also pay out disability pensions to veterans.  Somebody has to cover that if the VA goes away.

Maybe keep the VA, but make it small - just big enough to disburse the funds to do the above?

Certainly that would have to continue.

We can agree, now if we can disagree without being disagreeable... but then some of it is fun is it not.  :tongue2:

Frederick Douglass

Offline Fantom

« Reply #84 on: April 23, 2016, 12:58:08 am »
England has a really good system that I think we should emulate to an extent. Their election process is way quicker and candidates are on a much more even playing field.

And they are all mucked up no?

Night all...Mom says it's bedtime.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 12:59:16 am by Fantom »

Frederick Douglass

Offline Dexter

« Reply #85 on: April 23, 2016, 01:05:18 am »
And they are all mucked up no?

Night all...Mom says it's bedtime.

England is doing alright as far as I know, and their election process is way better in my opinion.
-Socrates

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #86 on: April 23, 2016, 01:17:36 am »

Why thanx, Tom!   Welcome to the Board;  I'm fairly new here myself and think that the place is honest too (and, yeah, worth reading)
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #87 on: April 23, 2016, 01:40:31 am »
Title:
"John Kasich wishes more Republicans liked Democrats’ ideas..."

Well if they did, they'd be....... closet democrats.

Just like YOU, Mr. Kasich...

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #88 on: April 23, 2016, 01:52:54 am »
jmyrle wrote above:
"That's not true in a system where the Democrats have slowly but steadily been gaining. If inertia holds, progressivism will continue to make gains until it has pure hegemony or the nation collapses, whichever comes first. A radical change of course—requiring disruptive and direct force—is what is needed to correct the slow leftward creep that has accelerated into a rapid gallop the past decade."

You said it better than I could have.

The time for Dexter's "compromises" is over.
We must defeat leftism by whatever means possible.
If this eventually means the use of "non-nonviolence", so be it.

The alternative is to accept the defeat of traditionalism and conservatism, and submit to the will of leftist ideology (I chose the word "submit" carefully).

Eventually, if the left wins, islam's numbers and power will gradually increase to the point at which it will be able to overthrow -the left-, and put them to the sword. We're seeing the beginnings of this transformation in Western Europe right now. If things keep going the way they're goin', it's only a matter of time before this happens in the Western Hemisphere, as well.

Aside:
The only possible "third way" I can foresee -- other than the triumph of the left or an insurrection to stop it -- is an "Article V Convention of the States". But the idea doesn't seem all that popular with folks around here...

Offline HootOwl

« Reply #89 on: April 23, 2016, 03:20:18 am »
    :seeya:  Johnny-One-State  was somewhat conservative before he became Gov. here.  This is his second run at the presidency.  I forgot that 4 yrs. ago he was also a candidate for president but was run out- soon  after Iowa  :seeya:  Bye Johnny-One-State.

geronl

« Reply #90 on: April 23, 2016, 03:41:46 am »
Words equal deeds to you?

Quite literally used the IRS to shut down conservative organizations to keep them from activity during an election.