Author Topic: Trump wins Missouri; Cruz snags most of the delegates  (Read 1774 times)

Offline sinkspur

Trump wins Missouri; Cruz snags most of the delegates
« on: April 19, 2016, 04:11:52 pm »
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/cruz-shows-up-trump-in-missouri-delegate-fight/article/2588892#.VxZQ6GF7WH4.twitter

Cruz shows up Trump in Missouri delegate fight

By DAVID M. DRUCKER (@DAVIDMDRUCKER) • 4/19/16 7:18 AM

Sen. Ted Cruz is crushing Donald Trump's delegate operation in yet another state, Missouri, according to well-placed party sources.

Trump's operation to secure real supporters rather than notional ones to send to the July's presidential nominating convention was caught napping and only activated in Missouri a week before delegate voting began. By the time the crucial delegate contests were over, the New York businessman found that the Texan tornado had left him in his dust.

It means, as with Cruz's superior operations in Arizona, Arkansas and several other states, that Missouri delegates who must vote for Trump on the first ballot are really Cruz supporters who will defect if there is a second ballot and the Cleveland convention is contested.

Trump won the Missouri primary by a mere 0.2 percentage points, which meant he took 37 of the 52 delegates available. But party operatives say many of the 37 are likely to be under Cruz control and will abandon the New York businessman if he doesn't win the nomination on the first ballot.

Missouri Republican insiders, and even local Cruz supporters, are mildly surprised that Trump didn't up his game in the state. His top grassroots advisor there, Valinda Freed, is the sitting vice chairman of the Missouri Republican Party. She and other Trump supporters aren't novices or as unfamiliar with the delegate process as their counterparts in other states the campaign bungled.

"Most of the people who are bellyaching — they have caucused before," Bev Ehlen, a top Cruz organizer and a co-chairman of his Missouri campaign, said in a telephone interview. "There might be a lot of Cruz people in Cleveland. They might have to vote for Trump the first time, but that will be all there is."

Freed referred a request for comment to Trump campaign Midwest regional political director Stephanie Milligan. Milligan acknowledged the Examiner's request but at press time had not responded to questions relayed via email.

However, the Trump campaign over the weekend indicated unhappiness with the process in Missouri. Paul Manafort, the chief delegate strategist for the Trump campaign, said Sunday during an interview on NBC's "Meet the Press" that a formal protest over the results of delegate elections in Missouri would likely be filed.

Trump is leading the overall hunt for delegates with 744, followed by Cruz at 559 and Kasich at 144. To clinch, a candidate needs to accumulate a 1,237 majority. Trump is expected to pad his lead on Tuesday with a big win over his rivals in the New York primary, where 95 delegates are at stake.

Trump won the March 15 primary in Missouri, defeating Cruz by just 1,786 in a contest that was so close it went to a recount and wasn't called for weeks. Delegates were awarded five per congressional district and 12 for winning statewide. Trump, by winning five districts to Cruz's three, and narrowly capturing the statewide vote, netted 22 more delegates than the Texas senator.

But as in most states, GOP rules in Missouri call for delegates to the quadrennial presidential nominating convention to be elected by their fellow Republicans. The process begins with county caucuses, open to all registered Republicans. The nearly 2,000 Republicans who emerge from those elections proceed to congressional district elections, and the state GOP convention, where they vote for the final delegate slate.

This process began April 9, and is now in the district elections phase, with the state convention, in Branson, to come May 20-21.

As in other states where Cruz has dominated, his campaign laid a foundation for success in delegate elections months ago, assembling leadership teams and dispatching field volunteers to establish relationships with local grassroots Republicans. That work included recruiting and fielding delegate candidates, in many cases without any competition from Trump or Kasich.

Lately, Cruz's strategy has evolved to reach out to supporters of Sen. Marco Rubio of Florida, who suspended his presidential campaign on March 15, and integrate them into their teams.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

geronl

Re: Trump wins Missouri; Cruz snags most of the delegates
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 05:54:42 pm »
Trump runs a top-down superficial campaign. He is not building any infrastructure, he is not building anything remotely like a credible campaign apparatus for the general election.

He has no intention of beating Hillary if he is nominated

Offline AnybodyButaDem

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 06:17:03 pm »
Yes, we already know the GOPe and their donors are calling in favors to ensure that Trump doesn't get to 1237.

Why people are celebrating it is exactly what's wrong with the party at this point, and why it's dead to many of us.

Cruz is doing the same thing in PA.  Will of the voters?  Screw them, says Ted and the GOPe.
Guess who got the NYT's endorsement in the GOP primary?

Offline musiclady

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2016, 06:19:09 pm »
Yes, we already know the GOPe and their donors are calling in favors to ensure that Trump doesn't get to 1237.

Why people are celebrating it is exactly what's wrong with the party at this point, and why it's dead to many of us.

Cruz is doing the same thing in PA.  Will of the voters?  Screw them, says Ted and the GOPe.

You're in bad shape, ABD.  You just can't stand that Cruz is following the rules and Trump isn't.

And I'll bet you're one of those guys Rush was talking about who doesn't support state's rights.

And yet, you claim to be a Republican/Conservative??

I think not.......
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2016, 06:20:24 pm »
Trump runs a top-down superficial campaign. He is not building any infrastructure, he is not building anything remotely like a credible campaign apparatus for the general election.

He has no intention of beating Hillary if he is nominated

Of course not.  He wants to help his pals Bill and Hill to regain power.

And get glory for himself, of course.  Because in reality, when it comes to Donald, Donald is the only one who really matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

A-Lert

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2016, 06:28:37 pm »

Screw the will of the people. The GOPers are doing everything possible to lose another presidential election.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2016, 06:39:38 pm »
Screw the will of the people. The GOPers are doing everything possible to lose another presidential election.

The will of the people doesn't mean jack squat in our elections. Remember the 2000 elections? Learn how to play the game by the rules instead of whining like a little beeotch.

Offline AnybodyButaDem

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2016, 07:10:38 pm »
You're in bad shape, ABD.  You just can't stand that Cruz is following the rules and Trump isn't.

And I'll bet you're one of those guys Rush was talking about who doesn't support state's rights.

And yet, you claim to be a Republican/Conservative??

I think not.......

Well, you misrepresented me in every way imaginable.

Offline AnybodyButaDem

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2016, 07:13:04 pm »

I have to laugh at the "Cruz ground game" talk.  The GOPe controls every state Republican party and the primaries, and of course they have a better "ground game" since they run the elections and the convention.  Trump is a complete outsider.  He actually has to get votes from primary voters to get his share.

Cruz has nothing to do with it, other than he is sucking up to the establishment like a beaten puppy coming back home.

He's no leader.  He's a follower, and voters have rejected him.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 07:13:46 pm by AnybodyButaDem »

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2016, 07:18:23 pm »

You do realize that we live in a Republic
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2016, 07:30:35 pm »
I have to laugh at the "Cruz ground game" talk.  The GOPe controls every state Republican party and the primaries, and of course they have a better "ground game" since they run the elections and the convention.  Trump is a complete outsider.  He actually has to get votes from primary voters to get his share.

Cruz has nothing to do with it, other than he is sucking up to the establishment like a beaten puppy coming back home.

If Trump got delegates apportioned by actual votes, he would be at 37% of the delegates (not 47%) and nowhere close to securing the nomination.  WTA states work in his favor but, of course, he never mentions that he "steals" delegates from Cruz and other candidates.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2016, 07:36:57 pm »
Well, you misrepresented me in every way imaginable.

Actually, if you were "misrepresented," you did it with your own words (and silly whining).

Offline musiclady

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2016, 07:40:36 pm »

There are a lot of laugh lines in this post, ABD, but I'm sure you intended to be serious.

You are aware, aren't you, that the rational votes of Republican were divided among multiple candidates of which Cruz was only one, and that the Populist Progressive Trump was pulling votes from the enemy (i.e. Dem) party, which you claim to not like?

As for the establishment, that's the biggest joke of all.  Trump is in the Donor class, he's a poster boy for corrupt establishment politics, he IS the system.  Cruz stood nearly alone (a leader) in opposing the Washington cartel and got beaten to a pulp by the establishment and the media.  You have it exactly backwards.

Trump's just pulling the wool over the eyes of a segment of angry, fearful people who refuse to admit that he's actually on the other side of every issue that a conservative stands for.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 07:41:57 pm by musiclady »

Offline AnybodyButaDem

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2016, 07:43:10 pm »
Actually, if you were "misrepresented," you did it with your own words (and silly whining).

No, it's quite obvious that you made things up about me and posted them in this thread.  You must be a fan of Lyin' Ted?

Offline musiclady

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2016, 07:49:05 pm »
No, it's quite obvious that you made things up about me and posted them in this thread.  You must be a fan of Lyin' Ted?

I didn't make anything up.  But if you start calling me a liar, you're going to get in trouble.

In case you didn't realize it, that's not permitted on this forum  (I know you're brand new, unless you're a retread). 

So take a breath, step back, and start thinking.

I didn't make anything up.

And Donald Trump has lied about pretty much everything he's said  on the campaign trail, so if you have problems with liars, you'd best stay away from Progressive Poseur, le Donald.