Author Topic: Saudi man arrested for flying ‘pretty’ rainbow flag unaware it symbolised LGBT pride  (Read 344 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
A Saudi doctor, arrested for flying the rainbow pride flag above his home, has claimed he was unaware of the flag’s LGBT symbolism.

The man said he bought the flag online after one of his children found the colours “pretty” and had no idea it represented LGBT pride, CNN reports.

The Saudi religious police, or the Committee for Promotion of Virtue and the Prevention of Vice, arrested the man after he raised the flag on a three metre pole above his home in Jeddah.

According to local media, the man was bailed after an “investigation” and agreed to remove the flag.

Homosexuality is illegal under Sharia law in Saudi Arabia and punishments for those engaging in same-sex relationships include execution, chemical castration, imprisonment and even death.

In September, Saudia Arabia insisted the UN remove gay rights from the organisation’s Global Goals, claiming it was “counter to Islamic law.”

The protest came from the Saudi Foreign Minister, Adel Al-Jubeir, who told the UN General Assembly that “mentioning sex in the text, to us, means exactly male and female. Mentioning family means consisting of a married man and woman”.

Faisal bin Hassan Trad, Saudi Arabia’s UN ambassador who was elected as chair of a panel of independent experts on the UN Human Rights Council, has previously said calls for the Kingdom to support rights for same-sex couples were “unacceptable” and a “flagrant interference in its internal affairs”.

More: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/saudi-man-arrested-for-flying-pretty-rainbow-flag-unaware-it-symbolised-lgbt-pride-a6955886.html

:thud:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Wingnut

Offline mountaineer

Whenever the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and all living creatures of every kind on the earth." So God said to Noah, "This is the sign of the covenant I have established between me and all life on the earth." Gen. 9:16-17.
And God added, "Unfortunately, the day will come, many years from now, when homosexuals will try to co-opt this sign of the covenant between God and all living creatures of the earth and pervert its true meaning." And God shook His head and sighed.

Okay, I added the second part, I admit.

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org