Author Topic: Again: Nothing is off limits for Donald Trump, including spouses  (Read 4760 times)

Offline sinkspur

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2016/03/23/again-nothing-is-off-limits-for-donald-trump-including-spouses/

Again: Nothing is off limits for Donald Trump, including spouses

By Jenna Johnson March 23 at 12:56 PM 

Ted Cruz and his wife, Heidi Cruz, with their two daughters at a campaign rally in Houston on March 15. (Trish Badger/Reuters)
As Republicans in Utah waited for their caucuses to start on Tuesday night, Republican front-runner Donald Trump — who had lagged in the state's polls and went on to lose Utah — tweeted an attack on his chief rival that got personal.

“Wow Sen. Ted Cruz, that is some low-level ad you did using a picture [of] Melania in a G.Q. shoot. Be careful or I will spill the beans on your wife," Trump tweeted 17 minutes before the Utah caucuses were scheduled to start.

Within seconds, Trump deleted the tweet. Ten minutes later, he posted a more polished version of his seemingly impromptu attack: "Lyin' Ted Cruz just used a picture of Melania from a G.Q. shoot in his ad. Be careful, Lyin' Ted, or I will spill the beans on your wife!"

"Be careful" is what Trump often utters or tweets when he feels threatened by a rival, a super PAC or a new line of attack. It's his way of reminding those involved that he doesn't abide by the traditional rules of political decorum, and he will not only go after opponents in shockingly belittling ways — he will do the same to their spouses, parents, relatives and loved ones.

"BE CAREFUL," Trump warned Democratic front-runner Hillary Clinton in late December when she accused him of having "a penchant for sexism" after he accused her of lacking the strength and stamina required for the presidency. Trump then accused former president Bill Clinton of having a "terrible record of women abuse," prompting several days of rehashing Clinton's history of womanizing and allegations of abuse. On the campaign trail since then, Trump has bragged that he gave the political power couple a very bad weekend, and has warned that his attacks in a general election would pale in comparison.

Ahead of the Iowa caucuses, former first lady Barbara Bush filmed a video message to the supporters of her son, former Florida governor Jeb Bush, that seemed to take a veiled shot at Trump in this line: "When push comes to shove, people are going to realize Jeb has real solutions, rather than talking about how popular they are, how great they are." Trump then tweeted in late January that Bush "desperately needed mommy to help him" — an attack that he would repeat over and over again until Bush dropped out of the race. Bush fired back with a photo of his mother in football pads with this note: "I'd be careful Donald."

But Trump continued to use Bush's "mommy" to belittle his rival, while saying that he was sure she was a lovely woman. Ahead of the South Carolina primary, Trump also suggested at a GOP debate that Bush's brother, former president George W. Bush, should have been impeached. That same week, Trump mocked Jeb Bush's low poll standings and taunted: "Go home. Go home to Mom. Go home to Mommy."

On Tuesday night, Trump threatened to tell all about Cruz's wife because of an ad circulating on social media that showed a 15-year-old photo of Melania Trump posing seemingly nude on a blanket of fur for a magazine photo shoot with this message: "Meet Melania Trump. Your next first lady. Or, you could support Ted Cruz on Tuesday." The ad is the work of an anti-Trump super PAC that calls itself "Make America Awesome" and this week targeted Mormon voters in Utah with a series of social media ads.

Cruz quickly pointed out on Twitter Tuesday night that he is not tied to the ad: "Pic of your wife not from us. Donald, if you try to attack Heidi, you're more of a coward than I thought. #classless." Trump responded on Twitter on Wednesday morning: "Lyin' Ted Cruz denied that he had anything to do with the G.Q. model photo post of Melania. That's why we call him Lyin' Ted!" Later in the morning, top Trump adviser Stephen Miller said in an interview on CNN that Cruz should "tell his super PACs to stand down."

Trump defends these sorts of attacks by saying that he's simply defending himself and implying that it's the fault of his rivals for putting their loved ones in a position to be attacked: Clinton accused him of sexism, so he went after her husband for being sexist. Barbara Bush made a veiled attack at him in a video, so he used her to mock her son. Melania Trump's modeling photo was used to encourage Utah voters to pick Cruz, so he threatened to share unflattering information about Cruz's wife.

Often these attacks are vague and open-ended, but they signal to Trump's supporters that they should feel free to launch their own attacks. After Trump threatened to "spill the beans" on Heidi Cruz on Tuesday night, Twitter filled with speculation about what those beans might be. There were links to a heavily redacted 2005 Austin Police Department report detailing an officer finding Heidi Cruz next to an expressway and deciding she was a "danger to herself," along with links to articles about her Wall Street career and a slew of unflattering hashtags.

The power of this social media barrage is not to be underestimated and is well recognized by the Trump campaign. As Trump tried to get Megyn Kelly booted from a debate in late January, which he eventually skipped, Fox News put out a statement saying that Trump's campaign manager said in a phone call with a Fox News executive "that Megyn had a ‘rough couple of days after that last debate’ and he ‘would hate to have her go through that again.'"

Late Tuesday night, former Trump campaign adviser Roger Stone tweeted: "Melania HOT, Heidi NOT."

Stone, who remains a confidante to Trump, included a link in the tweet to a column he wrote for the Daily Caller last week that accused the Cruzes of having "a sometimes troubled relationship" and accused the presidential candidate's parents of having a "troubled marriage... plagued by alcohol and infidelity." The column detailed the incident in Austin and noted that Heidi Cruz is receiving help from her mother-in-law and a live-in nanny in caring for her children.

Cruz was on the "Today" show on Wednesday morning and defended his wife against the attack Trump had technically not yet launched, calling him "a bully." Heidi Cruz then addressed the situation herself during a campaign stop in Wisconsin, saying that the photo of Melania Trump that sparked the Twitter war the night before was not circulated by her husband's campaign.

“In no way, shape, or form were we related to it," Heidi Cruz told a small group of reporters at the campaign's office in Waukesha. "And we are really excited today about the incredible results from yesterday.”

As Cruz tried to nudge the conversation to the campaign’s strategy and win record, reporters kept asking about the tweet.

How did she feel when she saw it? “You know, as I said, you probably know by now that most of the things Donald Trump says have no basis in reality,” she said.

What message did she think the tweet sent to the women of Wisconsin? “What I think most women want is a better future for their children,” she responded.

Did she think that candidates' spouses should be off limits? “Like I said, we have run our campaign on the principles that Ted and I believe in,” Cruz said. “And a lot of the things that are done from time to time are not from our campaign. So I want you to focus on what our campaign puts out, a positive, hopeful, optimistic agenda for this country.”
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Re: Again: Nothing is off limits for Donald Trump, including spouses
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 05:25:36 pm »
Again, is Trump and his supporters accusing Cruz of illegality?
The Republic is lost.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 05:31:24 pm »

If they want to open up that can of worms, I suggest everyone go to his FEC filings under Expenses and look at how much money is given to Wizbang solutions- the same person who runs the Make America Great Again PAC.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2016, 05:34:46 pm »

Apparently this PAC isn't a pro-Cruz PAC; it's an anti-Trump PAC.  And, I guess to that extent it makes it pro-Cruz as he is the only remaining real opposition to Trump's candidacy.

Offline GAJohnnie

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2016, 06:04:52 pm »
GOPE attack bots  attacks Trump wife then whine hysterically when he punches back.

Don't throw punches if you object to being punched back.

Offline GAJohnnie

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2016, 06:07:03 pm »
Arf arf arf af arf, removed by Mod.

5 arfs, 5 hour ban.

Bad choice.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 06:18:38 pm by Mod1 »

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2016, 06:14:13 pm »
GOPE attack bots  attacks Trump wife then whine hysterically when he punches back.

Don't throw punches if you object to being punched back.

Except of course when it's Trump throwing punches. He then whines when he gets punched back.

And for what you say to happen Cruz would be breaking the law. Which you won't come out and say, because that's the hit and run style of Trump we've all come to know and love. The tough guy folds like a tent when he's challenged.
The Republic is lost.

Offline ABX

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2016, 06:18:39 pm »
Except of course when it's Trump throwing punches. He then whines when he gets punched back.

I don't know if you ever catch South Park, but the character Cartman is the big bully calling everyone names (frankly, I think Trump pattered his current campaign persona on him). But in one episode, he was getting all tough, challenged one of the other guys to a fight, and as soon as he was hit once, he started crying like a baby.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2016, 06:45:01 pm »
Fox News put out a statement saying that Trump's campaign manager said in a phone call with a Fox News executive "that Megyn had a ‘rough couple of days after that last debate’ and he ‘would hate to have her go through that again.'"

Trump is a thuggish goombah.  Who the hell in their right minds support this kind of behavior? 

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2016, 06:54:01 pm »
If I may, I'd like to intrude for a brief moment with a straightforward question:  Do you agree or disagree with using the wife of a candidate as a slut to promote oneself in a close campaign?

Please, don't ramble on about who deserves it, or asked for it, or about whom you have no sympathy. 

I am not looking for your measure of a candidate.  I am asking for you to present the measure of yourself--and a simple yes or no will do it. 

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2016, 07:21:23 pm »
If I may, I'd like to intrude for a brief moment with a straightforward question:  Do you agree or disagree with using the wife of a candidate as a slut to promote oneself in a close campaign?

Please, don't ramble on about who deserves it, or asked for it, or about whom you have no sympathy. 

I am not looking for your measure of a candidate.  I am asking for you to present the measure of yourself--and a simple yes or no will do it.

No.  The context here, however, is that Cruz had nothing to do with an ad that was put out by an anti-Trump PAC.

Offline ABX

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2016, 07:25:30 pm »

What about using the husband of a candidate as a slut? Case in point:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2016, 07:30:54 pm »
Trump is a thuggish goombah.  Who the hell in their right minds support this kind of behavior?

Truly desperate people who are just happy to finally have a politician tell them what they want to hear.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline ABX

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2016, 07:34:54 pm »
Truly desperate people who are just happy to finally have a politician tell them what they want to hear.

Hoping for Change results in radical shifts, often not with good results.

Bill Cipher

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2016, 07:37:45 pm »

I don't agree with your hypothetical statement.  However, since Cruz didn't do anything like this to promote himself, the implications of your statement fall flat. 

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2016, 07:48:15 pm »
Hoping for Change results in radical shifts, often not with good results.

For some people,hope is all they have left,so they have nothing to lose.

After 18 years of fighting the fight to try to restore Constitutional Government in the US,I have also given up all hope of ever seeing it again in my lifetime. It just isn't going to happen unless there is a violent revolution,and I don't think that is going to happen because what few Constitutionalists  we have left in this country are so outnumbered by the professional welfare class,the illegal aliens,and the government employee and other union parasites,who are all going to vote for anybody that promises them more "free stuff" that somebody else paid for.

I think Hillary has a 50/50 chance of becoming president by default after Trump drops out and leaves the alleged Republican party without a candidate. The reason I don't say 100 percent is because the DNC don't  like or trust the Clinton's any more than we do. I think she will be forced to step down for "health reasons",and Gore,Kerry,or Biden will take the spot. America loses,regardless of who starts wearing the crown.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2016, 07:52:34 pm »
Believe me, this photo released by the Super Pac in their ad, is only a tiny taste of what Hillary has waiting for him.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2016, 07:59:03 pm »
Funny thing is I don't even care about the nude Melania photo.  Heck, in this day and age, most people are greatly overexposed on Facebook, just for instance.   This photo isn't even particularly bad. 

What disgusts me is Trump going after Heidi Cruz because the photo that has been floating around the internet for some time is used in an anti-Trump ad.  A) he should have been able to anticipate it being used, and B) to go after his fellow Republican candidate's wife because the photo of his wife was used is revolting.

Offline ABX

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2016, 08:01:40 pm »
Funny thing is I don't even care about the nude Melania photo.  Heck, in this day and age, most people are greatly overexposed on Facebook, just for instance.   This photo isn't even particularly bad. 

What disgusts me is Trump going after Heidi Cruz because the photo that has been floating around the internet for some time is used in an anti-Trump ad.  A) he should have been able to anticipate it being used, and B) to go after his fellow Republican candidate's wife because the photo of his wife was used is revolting.

Spot on. There are actually a lot worse images than that one out there as well as a couple of Cinemax worthy movies that I anticipate Hillary will unleash. I'm surprised those haven't come up yet except they can't be easily made into a meme to pass around.

The real story is Trump's feigned anger about it after he set the tone of this campaign way down in the gutter and below.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 08:03:35 pm by AbaraXas »

Offline ABX

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2016, 08:02:46 pm »
Believe me, this photo released by the Super Pac in their ad, is only a tiny taste of what Hillary has waiting for him.

That's what I've been trying to tell people when they get all concerned about negative Trump articles. What has been posted so far is nothing compared to the stuff out there. Better it come out now when our side has a choice than when we think we don't have a choice and Hillary uses it.

Wingnut

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2016, 08:11:32 pm »
That's what I've been trying to tell people when they get all concerned about negative Trump articles. What has been posted so far is nothing compared to the stuff out there. Better it come out now when our side has a choice than when we think we don't have a choice and Hillary uses it.

The Clinton are like the The Corleone Sicilian Mafia family.   Never go against the familia.  People will sleep with the fishes. 

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2016, 08:23:25 pm »
Funny thing is I don't even care about the nude Melania photo.

Me,either, After all,it was taken years ago when she was working as a model,and on top of that there is nothing obscene or vulgar about it.

Trump being Trump,is most likely upset because now that he has bought her,thinks nobody else should be able to look without paying him a fee.

What is worse in MY opinion is that it seems that Cruz's wife went through a period of depression years ago,and was drunk and distraught when the police spotted her and detained her. She had committed no crime,but it SEEMS there was some concern over her mental condition and that she might have been a threat to herself.

Low blows don't get any lower than that,and it just proves what a scumbag Trump is for publicizing it. LOTS of people have had low spots in their lives,and then turned things around and lived happily. Heidi Cruz seems to be one of them, Rubbing her face in it in public when there is a chance even her children didn't know is several steps below "dirty politics". Even for the 12 year old punk with the orange possum on his head.

Offline LottieDah

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2016, 08:27:38 pm »

Whatever Hillary Clinton and her crew have up their sleeves are pale in comparison.  As an aside "The Donald" must have known that the photo(s) in question would have been released.  He is supposed to be soooooooooooooooooo brilliant.  If he didn't know then he doesn't deserve to be President.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2016, 08:30:17 pm »
Only Sink said "no". 

All of this has been very illuminating. 

I apologize for the intrusion; carry on.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 08:30:47 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2016, 08:50:26 pm »