Author Topic: Democrats' cash crunch hurts bid to win Senate  (Read 449 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Democrats' cash crunch hurts bid to win Senate
« on: March 25, 2016, 02:06:38 am »
Democrats have expanded the Senate map this year, recruiting viable candidates in states no one expected them to compete in, such as Arizona and Missouri, and arguably positioning themselves to ride an anti-Trump wave to the Senate majority.

But there’s one big problem: Money.

Republicans are outspending Democrats in key races so far. There’s little indication that Democrats will close the gap as Election Day approaches, and signs the chasm will grow thanks to the longer roster of deep-pocketed outside groups on the right. That’s triggered growing anxiety within the minority party about relinquishing an opening to net the four or five seats they need to recapture the Senate.

Outside Republican groups have jumped to an early lead in spending on Senate races in key swing states like New Hampshire and Ohio. If Republicans come to see Donald Trump as a lost cause in the general election, conservative cash could flood congressional races, which is seen as the GOP’s last line of defense against a Clinton White House and a liberal Supreme Court. Already, some anti-abortion groups are focused on defending the majority rather than supporting Trump.

With a sprawling map of more than a dozen contested states, Democrats want to force Republicans to make hard choices about which vulnerable incumbents they spend to defend. Democratic insiders hope the GOP apparatus won’t be able to provide air cover for everyone and that even outside groups could be spread thin.
20160323_pat_toomey_1_GTY_1160.jpg

Embattled Toomey agrees to sit with Merrick Garland

By Seung Min Kim

But that might be wishful thinking.

The Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee has steadily outraised the National Republican Senatorial Committee, but the NRSC has slightly more cash on hand. And in an interview, DSCC Chairman Jon Tester of Montana raised a red flag that “these damn super PACs” might be an even bigger factor this year than in recent election cycles.

“We’re poised to compete, but the issue is that we need campaign finance reform badly and there’s going to be a lot of money spent this cycle,” Tester said. “Resources, especially in a presidential year, are finite.”

Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) put it more succinctly: “We’re always outspent. The question is, how much?”

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/03/senate-campaign-democrats-221112
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online libertybele

Re: Democrats' cash crunch hurts bid to win Senate
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2016, 02:12:16 am »
The GOP is in shambles and if we don't get our act together and quit all the insanity surrounding this election, thanks to Trump, I don't think that DEMS are going to have any problem taking the Senate and we may even lose the House.  Should that happen, the GOP is over.  The country is done.  8888crybaby
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Re: Democrats' cash crunch hurts bid to win Senate
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2016, 08:40:23 am »
The GOP is in shambles and if we don't get our act together and quit all the insanity surrounding this election, thanks to Trump, I don't think that DEMS are going to have any problem taking the Senate and we may even lose the House.  Should that happen, the GOP is over.  The country is done.  8888crybaby
As bad as it is, the rats have no agenda to point to, except "look what Obama has done."  Let us keep things in perspective, dear lady.  We still have some bullets to fire.

I agree that this presidential election kind of sucks, but I could not ask for a smarter tactician, a more loyal American, a braver soldier than you Liberty.  The rats will be running scared when they see real conservatives rally their friends to defend their Senators and Congressmen.

Remember your state legislators, your US Congressman, Your Senators and Governor play a bigger role in your life than any President.

In a few months we will lounge lazily on the white sandy beaches of Hawaii, I will massage your shoulders as you remind me of how you predicted a huge GOP victory.  A waiter will arrive with fruity alcohol drinks with brightly colored paper umbrellas, and I will caress your shoulders more vigorously.  You will exclaim "ouch!" and turn to me asking "what is your problem?"  I will look deeply in your eyes, confused and apologetic and say "what?"  You will forgive me for my clumsiness and we will watch the sunset...then you will whisper in my ear "you're such a dork!" and I will say "Thank God for President Cruz."

I'm pretty sure that is how this will all go down, but if not, thank you for sharing the dream with me.