Author Topic: Political Graphics II  (Read 818379 times)

Online roamer_1

Re: Political Graphics II
« Reply #2525 on: March 10, 2020, 01:19:23 am »

City people. They see no need to stock up on anything because they drive past several stores each day they could stop at and buy stuff like that.

People who have to make 40-50 mile round trips to buy a 6 pack of toilet paper or a box of cereal tend to take a different approach.

@sneakypete
Maybe it's my mamma's country roots, but even when we were in the city (Chicago in my early youth) there was a root cellar in the basement packed full... Even then she would go to farmer's markets and buy by the case and put it up... It has always been just part of the furniture... And while she was probably all the more-so, she was not alone - My grandma on my father's side did likewise - though with cans instead of canning... And she never lived in the country in her life.

Modern houses, at least last I was looking, do not have a pantry, or if they do it is the size of a broom closet. It was odd to me... I remember a serious discussion with my wife on whether I could convert a dining room in one of them to be a pantry... Not to mention a root cellar...

It just boggles me. How folks do like that is a mystery.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #2526 on: March 10, 2020, 01:27:08 am »
@sneakypete
Maybe it's my mamma's country roots, but even when we were in the city (Chicago in my early youth) there was a root cellar in the basement packed full... Even then she would go to farmer's markets and buy by the case and put it up... It has always been just part of the furniture... And while she was probably all the more-so, she was not alone - My grandma on my father's side did likewise - though with cans instead of canning... And she never lived in the country in her life.

@roamer_1

Chances are she grew up during the depression. Those folks tend to take a "buy in bulk and can" outlook on grocery buying,too.

I grew up in the 50's in a city in Virginia,and almost everybody in my neighborhood was involved in construction on one level or another. Not a single pu truck to be seen anywhere. You would see an occasional stationwagon,but that was it.

Now if drive through an exclusive housing area,chances are half the driveways will have pu trucks in them that never haul anything.

Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online roamer_1

« Reply #2527 on: March 10, 2020, 01:46:43 am »
City folks tend to not have as much room to stock up. Apartments are limiting in that regard.

Yes and no... I only have 1120 ft2, which I know is probably fairly spacious compared to an apartment, but even so, with no root cellar and a pantry doubling as a utility room, I have had close to 2 years stored up for a time. Shoot, just what's under the bed in the guest room would keep me for quite a while. there's an upright bureau in the living room that my wood for the stove sits under - That thing is full of case goods too... My ex's bureau in my bedroom is stuffed full too... You can make do, sure enough.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #2528 on: March 10, 2020, 01:59:54 am »
Chances are she grew up during the depression. Those folks tend to take a "buy in bulk and can" outlook on grocery buying,too.

@sneakypete

Yeah - That'd be right.  :beer:

I grew up in the 50's in a city in Virginia,and almost everybody in my neighborhood was involved in construction on one level or another. Not a single pu truck to be seen anywhere. You would see an occasional stationwagon,but that was it.

That is odd to me, of course. pickup trucks are everywhere here. And always have been. Same with the KS area where my mamma comes from.  Chicago, back in the day, did not have em, due to folks stealing out of the back... Everyone had vans (to this day wrt my uncles).

Now if drive through an exclusive housing area,chances are half the driveways will have pu trucks in them that never haul anything.

That's somewhat a different thing - 4dr pickups, Tahoes, and Suburbans are pretty common family sedans here too - I thought it a lot because of the demands of the terrain... But as a matter of inquiry, anecdotal answers have tended toward two things:

1) Pickup class vehicles are considered safer, still having a full frame and more tin between you and what you are hitting...

2) Room and comfort for more than 2 kids, storage for kid stuff, room for groceries.

And as a rule, pickups tend to have more performance as they are exempt from a whole lot of the regulations that got rid of station wagons and the like.

Now, I am a minivan guy. my run-around car is a minivan. It gets way better mileage than the pickup, and can handle 80% or better of my hauling needs day by day... And I can pile ALL the grands in and take em out for ice cream... So there are alternatives that make do.

But day to day, If I had 4 kids in this day and age, the old lady would be driving a Suburban, not a minivan.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #2529 on: March 10, 2020, 02:53:07 am »
@roamer_1

City people. They see no need to stock up on anything because they drive past several stores each day they could stop at and buy stuff like that.

People who have to make 40-50 mile round trips to buy a 6 pack of toilet paper or a box of cereal tend to take a different approach.

I lived in Phoenix for 40 years, and always maintained a pantry.  It's just how I am.   :shrug:

I've always been a bit of an Agoraphobic, and don't like shopping in marketplaces.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 02:54:17 am by Cyber Liberty »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #2530 on: March 10, 2020, 06:04:59 am »
I lived in Phoenix for 40 years, and always maintained a pantry.  It's just how I am.   :shrug:

I've always been a bit of an Agoraphobic, and don't like shopping in marketplaces.

@Cyber Liberty

Well,it's better to have something and not need it,that it is to need it and not have it.

I used to live in an area where the closest place to buy gas was about 10 miles away,and they closed at 6 PM on Sat,and weren't open on Sunday. The next closest place was another 10 miles away and had similar hours. When fishing,it was right at a 65 mile round trip to the fish market,and then back home.

If somebody got sick or injured at night,it was about 45 miles one way to the nearest hospital,and there were no ambulances. The best you could hope for was a stationwagon from the Sheriff's dept if there was one in the area,and even then you had no phone so there was no way to call and check. The closest doctors office was maybe 20 miles away,but there was no guarantee he would be there after hours.

One Golden Rule for all the locals was "You NEVER come home with a empty gas tank! You stop and fill up on the way home,even if you have a half tank."

Pretty much the same thing with groceries. Closest place to buy groceries was around 12 miles away,and they closed at 6 PM. Miss them,and you had to add another 20 miles one way to your grocery trip. You always bought two of anything you would need,and then buy one replacement after using one of the ones in stock,and rotated back to front to maintain freshness.,and you NEVER left home without a shopping list of things to buy on your way back home. Didn't have telephones until the late 60's in that area,so there was no such thing as calling home to see what was needed.

If there was someone elderly or sick and living alone,you just automatically stopped at their house and asked them if they needed anything from the store if you were heading that way and right back home.

AFAIK,nobody ever locked their houses. No need to. Everybody knew everybody else,and nobody was going to steal anything from you or try to hurt you.

The closest anybody came to stealing anything was my big Chesapeake Bay retriever,Jack. People that didn't have a duck dog would stop by and ask if they could borrow him,but if nobody was home,they would just call him and he'd jump in the back of their truck. Jack was fussy,though. If you missed a couple of shots in a row,he would swim to shore and walk back home. Even if you were doing well he would just leave and go back home when he got hungry unless you fed him your lunch.

Sometimes he would lay down on the warm asphalt on the road in front of the house to nap in cold weather,and people would have to nudge him with the bumper and beep their horns to get him to move.

Jack was huge for a Chesapeake. He could,and would,stand flat-footed and look in your window when you came in the yard,and "grin" at you. Scared the hell out of people who didn't know him and thought he was snarling. Broke my heart when he died of old age. His heart just gave out one day. He let out a terrible moan,and just fell over dead. I had him from the time he was weaned. Smart as hell. My mother trained him to bring in firewood from outside and drop it in the wood box in the kitchen. I remember one time she was ironing in another room and had the kitchen door propped open so he could come in and out while she was ironing,and then it got cold and she remembered she had left the door open for Jack. When she went to close the door she spotted him laying on the couch and taking a nap. She grabbed a broom and started beating the hell out of him with the broom to chase him out of the house. That was the end of him hauling firewood for her. She never trusted him after that.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 06:23:00 am by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline ChemEngrMBA

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #2531 on: March 10, 2020, 02:20:59 pm »

You've been a bit of an agoraphobe.  Noun.
The Book Commentary: "The book (Brilliant Creations - The Wonder of Nature and Life) is pure genius."
Review by John Orosz, M.D. "It is beyond outstanding. Please send me twenty signed copies for colleagues, family, and libraries."
"I was running every morning for twenty years with a genius." - Mike McCartney, D.D.S.
"You have the most agile mind of anyone I know." -
Avice Marie Griffin, PhD, Clinical Psychologist

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #2532 on: March 10, 2020, 02:41:42 pm »
You've been a bit of an agoraphobe.  Noun.

You are 100% correct. 888high58888
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #2533 on: March 11, 2020, 07:25:31 pm »
Big day for Bernie at Fox News.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2534 on: March 11, 2020, 07:34:44 pm »
If the Dems want to "deem" Biden the winner and call off the rest of the primaries, that shows they really are scared of Bernie, maybe even Hillary crawling into the arena. (And that they want to end the gaffes before everyone is alienated.)

They have nothing to offer, and it grows more apparent.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #2535 on: March 11, 2020, 10:56:44 pm »

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I will NOT comply.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #2537 on: March 12, 2020, 07:29:04 pm »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

« Reply #2538 on: March 13, 2020, 03:11:40 pm »

Offline corbe

« Reply #2539 on: March 13, 2020, 07:42:41 pm »
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

« Reply #2540 on: March 14, 2020, 03:09:18 pm »

« Reply #2541 on: March 14, 2020, 03:10:28 pm »

« Reply #2542 on: March 15, 2020, 01:34:11 am »

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #2543 on: March 15, 2020, 01:55:34 am »

« Reply #2544 on: March 15, 2020, 05:03:18 am »

Offline corbe

« Reply #2545 on: March 15, 2020, 06:45:23 pm »
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #2546 on: March 15, 2020, 06:57:00 pm »

ROFL!  consider it stolen!   :patriot:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

« Reply #2547 on: March 16, 2020, 03:11:10 am »

« Reply #2548 on: March 16, 2020, 03:40:40 am »

Bernie Force-chokes Biden at debate

Offline DB

« Reply #2549 on: March 16, 2020, 04:39:28 am »

Bernie Force-chokes Biden at debate

That photo is perfect to add bolts of energy coming off Bernie's finger tips striking Biden... Sheev Palpatine style...