Author Topic: Given violence, Rubio raises doubts that he can support Trump as the GOP nominee  (Read 1850 times)

HAPPY2BME

LARGO, Fla. — Sen. Marco Rubio strongly condemned the chaos exhibited at Donald Trump’s recent rallies and called on the Republican front-runner to denounce the violence.

Visibly frustrated by the prospects of Trump’s ascendance, Rubio’s voice cracked as he raised — for the first time — the specter of not supporting the businessman as the Republican Party’s presidential nominee.

“I mean, I already talked about the fact that I think Hillary Clinton would be terrible for this country, but the fact that you’re even asking me this question,” he said, pausing before continuing. “I still at this moment continue to intend to support the Republican nominee, but it’s getting harder every day."

Later, he warned supporters here in his home state that if Trump is the party nominee, “it will fracture the Republican Party.”

[Kasich blames Trump but stops short of saying he won't support him]
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2016/03/12/kasich-trump-has-created-toxic-environment/

Rubio and other presidential contenders lashed out Friday night and faulted Trump for failing to condemn violence and threats of violence at his recent public events. Their comments came as the Trump campaign abruptly canceled a rally in Chicago amid fears that the event would lead to widespread violence inside and outside the venue.

On Saturday morning, Rubio spoke especially to the caustic rhetoric used at Trump rallies, saying that “Our politics have basically become like the comments section of blogs. This is what happens when political candidates talk as if they’re people on Twitter. And the result is now bleeding over into the broader culture.”

“In many ways he doesn’t want to say anything to his supporters, because he doesn’t want to turn them off. Because he understands that the reason they’re voting for him is because he’s tapped into this anger,” he added. “The problem is leadership has never been about taking people’s anger and using it to get them to vote for you. If it is, it’s a dangerous style leadership.”

Rubio lay blame across society for the the violence and caustic rhetoric of recent weeks — he faulted candidates, people protesting those candidates, political parties and the news media.

“The protesters are not blameless, some of these people are organized elements who are paid. Others just went there for the intent of disrupting an event,” he said. “And you don’t have a right to disrupt an event just because you disagree with someone.”

“But I think we also have to look at the rhetoric of the front-runner in the presidential campaign,” he added. “This is a man who in rallies has told his supporters to basically beat up the people who are in the crowd and he’ll pay their legal fees. Someone who’s basically encouraged the people in the audience to rough up anyone who stands up and says something he doesn’t like.”

The media is also at fault, Rubio said, because for too long Trump’s taunts of protesters and calls for violence were ignored. “Some people thought they were cute. And he’s gotten an extraordinary amount of coverage for all the stuff he says that’s outrageous. … It’s wall-to-wall coverage, and it’s only elevated him even more.”

Rubio grew visibly frustrated as he recounted how policy speeches he gave for months were largely ignored and his rallies were rarely covered live on cable television news until last month when he decided to taunt Trump’s physical appearance and behavior. The senator later apologized for the Trump remarks and said again on Saturday that he never plans to attack his rival like that again.

The winner-take-all Florida Republican primary is on Tuesday, and Rubio is still trailing Trump in recent surveys. He is campaigning Saturday in the Tampa region before flying to Pensacola later in the day for a rally. He is scheduled to visit the Villages, a large retirement community north of Orlando, on Sunday. At the events, he is poised to encourage supporters to vote this weekend — the early voting period ends on Sunday.

With his campaign on the brink of collapse, Rubio wouldn’t say Saturday whether he will remain in the presidential race if he loses on Tuesday.

“I’m focused on winning Florida — I haven’t thought about Wednesday. I said it yesterday. I literally don’t know what I’m having for lunch or dinner today. … I intend to win Florida, we haven’t made any decisions about after Florida,” he said.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2016/03/12/given-violence-rubio-says-he-now-doubts-that-he-can-support-trump-as-the-gop-nominee/

Offline Frank Cannon

Rubio's way out of touch here. GOP voters love riots and violence at their political events. The Right has been clamoring for a candidate who openly calls for people being beat up from the stump.

Make America Great Again.....Beat The Shit Out Of Someone.

Offline raml

Bull this came after a meeting of the elite republicans on how to get rid of Trump. These guys were paid either by the republican elites or the left Bernies little thugs.. It won't work I am hearing that people who weren't going to vote for him are like me changing from Cruz and Rubio to Trump they have had enough of thugs trying to ruin this country. Trump now is the only one I will vote for won't vote for Cruz if they anoint him or any other establishment candidate I am sick and tired of these bullies ruining our country

HAPPY2BME

Bull this came after a meeting of the elite republicans on how to get rid of Trump. These guys were paid either by the republican elites or the left Bernies little thugs.. It won't work I am hearing that people who weren't going to vote for him are like me changing from Cruz and Rubio to Trump they have had enough of thugs trying to ruin this country. Trump now is the only one I will vote for won't vote for Cruz if they anoint him or any other establishment candidate I am sick and tired of these bullies ruining our country

===============================

Letters From Former Cruz Voters

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdMll1kAtjc
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 02:00:58 am by HAPPY2BME »

A-Lert

Rubio's way out of touch here. GOP voters love riots and violence at their political events. The Right has been clamoring for a candidate who openly calls for people being beat up from the stump.

BP check needed here.

Offline PzLdr

But of course, if Rubio got the nomination, he would expect us to support him.
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Bill Cipher

But of course, if Rubio got the nomination, he would expect us to support him.

At this point, probably not.  It would be nice, of course - particularly since folks like I are still willing to vote the party nominee, whomever he is - but certainly not expected.

Offline PzLdr

At this point, probably not.  It would be nice, of course - particularly since folks like I are still willing to vote the party nominee, whomever he is - but certainly not expected.

Interestingly, the Republican National Committee doesn't seem too upset about Rubio violating that pledge to back the winner they crafted for Trump when he threatened  third party at rthe beginning of the process back when, and made all the candidates sign.
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline libertybele

...hmm...sounds like it could be a song ... kind of like "Take This Job and Shove It"!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Bill Cipher

Interestingly, the Republican National Committee doesn't seem too upset about Rubio violating that pledge to back the winner they crafted for Trump when he threatened  third party at rthe beginning of the process back when, and made all the candidates sign.

Maybe you should try reading what he said, rather than just going with what you think he said; to wit: "I still at this moment continue to intend to support the Republican nominee, ...."

Where is the violation of that pledge?  Counselor?

Offline sinkspur

Carthago delenda est ‏@JayCostTWS  1h1 hour ago

Not a great talking point for Rubio, but at this point it's all about the delegates. Trump goes 0/19 in DC, 1/12 in WY. Good day for America
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline PzLdr

Maybe you should try reading what he said, rather than just going with what you think he said; to wit: "I still at this moment continue to intend to support the Republican nominee, ...."

"I still AT THIS MOMENT continue TO INTEND TO SUPPORT the Republican nominee, BUT IT'S GETTING HARDER every day".

The violation? He's now made the pledge CONDITIONAL, "at this moment". Parse the sentence, professor.

Offline NavyCanDo

:amen:

The defense rest.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Bill Cipher

"I still AT THIS MOMENT continue TO INTEND TO SUPPORT the Republican nominee, BUT IT'S GETTING HARDER every day".

The violation? He's now made the pledge CONDITIONAL, "at this moment". Parse the sentence, professor.

But there is no violation.  Period.  At this point there is no GOP nominee and therefore everyone's promise is still conditional in that sense - everyone still "intends" to support the eventual GOP nominee.  If this is a violation, then even Trump is in violation because the most he can say at this point is that he "intends" to support the eventual GOP nominee (notwithstanding that we all know he will not if the nominee is not his Yuge self).

You can dance all you want to counselor, but at the end of the day you haven't proven your case.  Perhaps you should be charging him with attempted violation, or conspiracy to violate?  Hmmm.

Offline PzLdr

But there is no violation.  Period.  At this point there is no GOP nominee and therefore everyone's promise is still conditional in that sense - everyone still "intends" to support the eventual GOP nominee.  If this is a violation, then even Trump is in violation because the most he can say at this point is that he "intends" to support the eventual GOP nominee (notwithstanding that we all know he will not if the nominee is not his Yuge self).

You can dance all you want to counselor, but at the end of the day you haven't proven your case.  Perhaps you should be charging him with attempted violation, or conspiracy to violate?  Hmmm.

Since you want to couch this in legalese, let's. Rubio's statement is composed of 'weasel words'. It's akin to Hillary Clinton telling all those Grand Juries, "I don't recall", or "I don't remember". Lots of folks on this site and others got a good chuckle out of it. But, what she was doing was making sure she couldn't be charged with perjury. If you can't recall, you're not lying. We in the trade call them weasel words.

Now you and I will disagree on Rubio's statement[although most of the press accounts and columns I've read seem to agree with me], but, to use a baseball analogy, Marco's got one foot out of the batter's box and is getting ready to bail. "Still, at this moment" and "intend" are NOT the functional equivalent of "I will support". Weasel words. But then Rubio is a weasel. In two languages.

Bill Cipher

Since you want to couch this in legalese, let's. Rubio's statement is composed of 'weasel words'. It's akin to Hillary Clinton telling all those Grand Juries, "I don't recall", or "I don't remember". Lots of folks on this site and others got a good chuckle out of it. But, what she was doing was making sure she couldn't be charged with perjury. If you can't recall, you're not lying. We in the trade call them weasel words.

Now you and I will disagree on Rubio's statement[although most of the press accounts and columns I've read seem to agree with me], but, to use a baseball analogy, Marco's got one foot out of the batter's box and is getting ready to bail. "Still, at this moment" and "intend" are NOT the functional equivalent of "I will support". Weasel words. But then Rubio is a weasel. In two languages.

Thank you for conceding.  Motion to dismiss granted.

Offline sinkspur

Rubio and Cruz are cowards.  Both should come out after Florida and Ohio and state that they will not support Trump.

May as well.  They're going to get there anyway.

Offline NavyCanDo

I'm not raising my hand pledging alligence to Trump. If Rubio or Cruz put their values and principles ahead of  a silly pledge made  during a debate, they would gain respect by me.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline libertybele

I find Rubio just as despicable as Trump and neither one of them deserve my vote.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline PzLdr

Thank you for conceding.  Motion to dismiss granted.

I conceded nothing, except perhaps, your density. Congratulations on your appointment to a bench.

Offline Carling

I'm not raising my hand pledging alligence to Trump. If Rubio or Cruz put their values and principles ahead of  a silly pledge made  during a debate, they would gain respect by me.

Now the pledge is "silly."

Rubio is a total disaster and a total loser..  His meltdown as a legitimate candidate has been epic.  I do like when he gets excited and the flop sweat and high-pitched whiny voice appear yet again.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 07:31:59 pm by Carling »
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline sinkspur

Now the pledge is "silly."

Rubio is a total disaster and a total loser..  His meltdown as a legitimate has been epic.

Adopting Trump language.  I guess you think it's cool to mimic a bigot.

Offline Carling

Adopting Trump language.  I guess you think it's cool to mimic a bigot.

It was supposed to be funny, but you have zero sense of humor and little regard for the truth, Deacon.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 07:35:05 pm by Carling »
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline sinkspur

It was supposed to be funny, but you have zero sense of humor and little regard for the truth, Deacon.

I like humor. Here's some:

Offline sinkspur

Here's more: