Author Topic: Jeffress on Trump: Evangelicals desire electability  (Read 3692 times)

HAPPY2BME

Jeffress on Trump: Evangelicals desire electability
« on: March 01, 2016, 07:50:04 pm »

A high-profile Southern Baptist pastor says evangelicals "by the droves" are flocking to support billionaire Donald Trump because polls indicate there's not much support nationally for a born-again Christian to be elected – and electability, says the pastor, should now take center stage.

Alabama Senator Jeff Sessions has passed on fellow Senator Ted Cruz and officially endorsed Trump. And while he has not officially endorsed Trump, Dr. Robert Jeffress, the pastor of First Baptist Church-Dallas – who garnered national attention when he participated in a Trump rally in late January – appeared at another Trump rally this past Friday.

Today on American Family Radio, Jeffress summarized his comments at that rally.

Jeffress: "I had been asked to come there and pray. I'm happy to pray. I prayed II Chronicles 7:14 to the crowd there, but then Trump invited me unexpectedly to come up and talk about some things. So I thought, Well, here's my opportunity to talk about the values that are important to evangelical voters – and I talked about the importance of the sanctity of life. I said very clearly: Now some people may not believe in Donald Trump's conversion to pro-life; but even if you don't believe it, let me remind you that Hillary Clinton doesn't even claim a pro-life conversion – and if she's elected, we'll have the most pro-abortion candidate in history."

Jeffress further explained that appearance, as well as comments he made during a recent interview with National Public Radio.

Jeffress: "I was trying to explain why so many evangelicals are open to Donald Trump. I'm not saying I think that's the way it should be. I was quoting what I believe many evangelicals are thinking. I was not agreeing with that position. After the same-sex ruling last June, I think it was such a gut punch to many evangelicals that they pretty much gave up on the idea of depending upon government to uphold biblical values and they're saying, Okay, let's let the church do that and let's just depend upon government to do the other.

"Let me make it clear. I'm not saying that's what I think; I'm saying that is the explanation for why evangelicals by the droves are going to Donald Trump. So there's a real difference between the way things are versus the way things should be, in my estimation. And let me be clear: I think it is important to vote for a candidate who will uphold things that we believe in .... I think the gay marriage issue is gone. It's never going to be re-litigated. Even Ted Cruz said that behind closed doors in New York when he was talking to donors."

But what about Trump's well-documented use of vulgar language on the campaign trail – an issue pastor and author Max Lucado addressed in a recent guest column published by The Christian Post?

Jeffress: "Let me tell you, George Patton couldn't care less about tone and language; he was intent on wining a war – and I think we are in a war right now. We need to win the war and I think we need a president who is intent on doing that who can get elected.

"Look, I would love to have a born-again Christian who has humbled himself before God and whose faith is part of every area of his life – if he could get elected. I'm saying I don't think that candidate can get elected today."

In Jeffress' opinion, Trump is the most electable of the Republican candidates.

Jeffress: "William F. Buckley said, We need to nominate the most conservative candidate who's electable – and I think that's why there's a case for Donald Trump. [Many evangelicals] may not agree with me – that's fine. Everybody needs to make their own mind up about this. But nobody has the right to be a Pharisee and try to impose their opinion as an obligation on other people. I think we need to respect the right of other Christians to disagree."

Jeffress went on to say: "The Bible gives absolutely no checklist for how to vote, because voting was not present in biblical times."

http://www.onenewsnow.com/politics-govt/2016/02/29/jeffress-on-trump-evangelicals-desire-electability?utm_source=OneNewsNow&utm_medium=email&utm_term=16783277&utm_content=888203562696&utm_campaign=23900

HAPPY2BME

Re: Jeffress on Trump: Evangelicals desire electability
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 07:50:28 pm »
Rubio and Cruz are banking on the Evangelical vote.

How many times have Evangelicals been LIED to by the Republican Party?

On abortion?

On defending the traditional man/woman family?

On Planned Parenthood?

On Common Core?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 07:52:02 pm by HAPPY2BME »

HAPPY2BME

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 07:55:55 pm »
Is Rubio electable among swing voters?

Is Cruz?

Is Trump?

1.  No.

2.  No.

3.  Yes.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 08:16:32 pm »
Jeffress throws his lot in with bigots and racists.  Great example, Bobby boy.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2016, 08:26:35 pm »

Offline aligncare

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2016, 08:30:39 pm »
 :2popcorn:

I'm taking bets on how many views this receives from our resident Trump skeptics (and also how many replies).

In all sincerity though, any comments would be interesting. Primarily because of the charges leveled at Trump about his being unmoored from any moral foundation and all the rest, you know the drill.

Any takers?

Wingnut

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2016, 08:36:26 pm »
Jeffress went on to say: "The Bible gives absolutely no checklist for how to vote, because voting was not present in biblical times."

That maybe true but it certainly offered some clues....

Guideline for Christian Voters:

I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men; 2  For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty.  1 Timothy 2: 1-2
We are called to pray for our leaders so that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in godliness and honesty.  If God wants us to pray for those in authority, then surely He wants us to pray about who we should vote for in every election. Because we have friends who are both Democrats and Republicans and Independents who are Christians, I felt it might be helpful to share some basic things when making any political choice for the presidential candidates and any other political office, local and national, and vote with those precepts and principles in mind. Our vote should not be based on someone’s skin color or ethnic background, traditional background, or whether they are male or female, or Democrat or Republican, as there are good and bad people in all of these categories. The most important thing when voting is not whether we are a Republican or Democrat or any other party, but rather what Biblical principles are we following when choosing any candidate for an office. Here are some guidelines that we pray will be helpful.

1.)  Are the candidates qualified for the particular office they are running for? You would not what someone operating on you that was not qualified to do the surgery, neither do you want someone who is not qualified, nor experienced in governmental matters to be in a position of authority they are not qualified for or they do not have enough knowledge and experience for the job. Without experience and the proper qualifications, bad decisions made by those in power will affect all of the people adversely and sometimes it is years before they can even be reversed, if ever.

Hosea 4:6a:  “My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge—“

2.)  What have they said? What is their past voting record?  For all of us, the words we say and the deeds we do determine who we really are. Talk is cheap, as that is probably the main problem the average person has with most politicians of the past, they have promised much and delivered little. Certainly we need to allow politicians to change their opinions in certain areas that are fluid themselves (i.g. the war, the economy, etc.) These kinds of situations require a different approach because the circumstances have now changed or sometimes they have been given additional information later that they did not have when making their original decision or vote in the matter. However, changing a judgment about a matter is different than saying something in order to get votes or win favor at the moment. Some politicians will lie for the moment just to get into office so we must check for the truth and the facts in controversial matters.

Proverbs 12:19:  “The lip of truth shall be established for ever: but a lying tongue is but for a moment.”

3.)  Who do they associate with?  The old adage of “birds of a feather flock together” reveals our own nature. People we associate with or have been associated with, definitely have an influence in what we believe. We all hang out with the people we like and whom we have things in common with. The choice of our friends and associates reveal our own beliefs, and ideology. We even use the expression, “Look at the crowd they are running with.”

Proverbs 22:24: “Make no friendship with an angry man; and with a furious man thou shalt not go: Lest thou learn his ways, and get a snare to thy soul.”

Proverbs 13:20: “He that walketh with wise men shall be wise: but a companion of fools shall be destroyed.”

Proverbs 14:7:  “Go from the presence of a foolish man, when thou perceivest not in him the lips of knowledge.”

4.)  How do they stand on the life and death issues like abortion and euthanasia? In essence the answer to these questions will determine their integrity and character. Character is very important to me personally and what they believe about abortion is of major concern to me as anyone who does not see that abortion is murder has either bad character, flawed judgment or is grossly deceived and I would not want that person in a position of authority.  For instance, if they believe in euthanasia, I ponder, what if I was that person that was dispensable in their judgment?  I think the Bible is very clear that He is the One who should be in charge of life and death situations regarding birth and death, not any man.  How it must grieve the heart of God that over 57 million babies have been aborted in our nation at the time of this writing. The Bible clearly states we will come under judgment for this action. As Christians, if we vote for someone who believes in abortion, then we share in the guilt of this crime and the Bible says we will suffer a curse on our land for it and that curse is death in our land.

Proverbs 6:16-17: “These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him:  A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood.”

Deuteronomy 27:25:  “Cursed be he that taketh reward to slay an innocent person.”

Deuteronomy 19:10:  “That innocent blood be not shed in thy land, which the LORD thy God giveth thee for an inheritance, and so blood be upon thee.”

5.)  Lastly, but most important is we should saturate our decisions in prayer so we can get the Holy Spirit’s approval to our choices since He sees the hearts of men and can warn us if we are leaning in the wrong direction.  We must remember we are not voting for perfect people, but certainly some people are better than others and the Holy Spirit can give us spiritual insight as to who these men and women might be.  Candidates can fool people by their persuasive rhetoric, but they cannot fool God and if we stay close to God, He will guide us in the best choice for each office.

I pray this is a helpful guide in helping you to select those who will rule over us as we will be blessed or cursed by our choices. May we choose wisely.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2016, 08:36:47 pm »
This is the most astounding thing I've ever read from a religious leader:

So, it's perfectly fine to vote for a man who refuses to back away from the KKK, uses vulgarities against women, makes fun in public of the handicapped, insults his opponents, stiffs his creditors, cheats on his wives, and lies when the truth will do.

Jeffress has lost all credibility.  What kind of preacher tells his congregation to vote for an amoral man for the highest office in the land?

His reason for voting for Trump?  "Just win, baby!!"

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2016, 08:39:47 pm »
Rubio and Cruz are banking on the Evangelical vote.

How many times have Evangelicals been LIED to by the Republican Party?

On abortion?

On defending the traditional man/woman family?

On Planned Parenthood?

On Common Core?

So what better way to react than to double down on the liars.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2016, 08:41:16 pm »

So, it's perfectly fine to vote for a man who refuses to back away from the KKK, uses vulgarities against women, makes fun in public of the handicapped, insults his opponents, stiffs his creditors, cheats on his wives, and lies when the truth will do.

Jeffress has lost all credibility.  What kind of preacher tells his congregation to vote for an amoral man for the highest office in the land?

This is a new one.  Hey guys, let's ignore everything the Bible says so we can WIN!

He'd better spend less time on the stump, and more time in the Word.

He's got it all backwards.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2016, 08:46:59 pm »
Sadly mistaken, if you think an endorsement from Jeffress or any other pastor changes the reality of Trump's moral depravity. I won't list his character short-comings as the list is long and it wouldn't matter to most who already on the Trump bandwagon.

You seem to be grounded in reality and that's a good thing. Rely on it. You're going to need it to face tomorrow morning with that first cup of coffee.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2016, 08:47:17 pm »
Sadly mistaken, if you think an endorsement from Jeffress or any other pastor changes the reality of Trump's moral depravity.

Depravity?????    :facepalm:

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2016, 09:08:40 pm »
I probably should have used a stronger term, but I fear I might also be under the negative effects of what Trump is doing to America.

I would go with: licentiousness
unrestrained by law or general morality; lawless; immoral.
going beyond customary or proper bounds or limits; disregarding rules

Offline aligncare

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2016, 09:10:05 pm »

Do I sense tension in the room.

Offline Carling

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2016, 09:10:28 pm »
Jeffress throws his lot in with bigots and racists.  Great example, Bobby boy.

When all you have left are disgusting ad hominen insults and dumb slogans, the party is already over.

Buh bye, GOPe minions.  Go vote for Hillary like your leaders will do.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 09:11:05 pm by Carling »
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2016, 09:13:09 pm »
When all you have left are disgusting ad hominen insults and dumb slogans, the party is already over.

When did Trump denounce the KKK?  I missed it.

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2016, 09:16:29 pm »
Do I sense tension in the room.

As a public service to TBR I will now interrupt this thread to let everyone breathe and relax

« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 09:18:32 pm by Scottftlc »
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2016, 09:17:41 pm »

Moral relativism, as advocated by a "man of God".   Folks here love to rail against political elites - well, count me as one who's appalled by the behavior of our religious elites, bowing and scraping before an amoral man.     
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Wingnut

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2016, 09:18:50 pm »

Look out.  Carling's gonna snap!

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2016, 09:19:32 pm »

What "we have left" is the truth.   Trump is devisive and dangerous,  a strongman for the weak-minded.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Wingnut

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2016, 09:21:38 pm »
As a public service to TBR I will now interrupt this thread to let everyone breathe and relax

Oh...where is the bucket of Corona and the Limes

Offline Carling

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2016, 09:22:56 pm »
Moral relativism, as advocated by a "man of God".   Folks here love to rail against political elites - well, count me as one who's appalled by the behavior of our religious elites, bowing and scraping before an amoral man.   

You're going to vote for HRC, who is so morally bankrupt that she attacks women her husband sexually assaulted, and she is one of the strongest supporters of abortion in America.

You commenting on anybody else's morality is laughable.

Offline Relic

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2016, 09:24:32 pm »
You're going to vote for HRC, who is so morally bankrupt that she attacks women her husband sexually assaulted, and she is one of the strongest supporters of abortion in America.

You commenting on anybody else's morality is laughable.

That's going to leave a mark!  :silly:

Offline Carling

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2016, 09:25:37 pm »
What "we have left" is the truth.   Trump is devisive and dangerous,  a strongman for the weak-minded.

The woman you're voting for has said that the enemy she is proudest to have made in her life "are probably the Republicans."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t48MyL5QdAc&feature=youtu.be

I'm literally laughing at you calling another candidate "devisive" and dangerous when you're advocating a vote for HRC over Trump.

I can only assume you also support violence against women, illegal immigration, unfettered access of Muslim "refugees" from Syria who amazingly mostly seem to be single males in their 20s, abortion, gun grabbing, etc. etc.

Yet it's Trump who is "devisive?"   :silly:
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 09:32:19 pm by Carling »

Offline Carling

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2016, 09:28:33 pm »
Look out.  Carling's gonna snap!

No, but I may die from laughing tonight as the results roll in and I get to read the GOPe minions' posts get even more juvenile and more paranoid as the night proceeds.