Author Topic: Biden Apologizes to Mexico for GOP Comments - Said 'these countries' dysfunctional in 2007  (Read 502 times)

HAPPY2BME

In 2001, Biden said something similar about Mexico and Colombia. "If you study any of these countries you realize that they end up where they are in large part because of dysfunctional systems they have, because of dysfunctional societies relating to access to opportunity within those societies."

CNN reports that on Thursday, Vice President Joe Biden spoke in Mexico City and "came close to offering an apology for comments made by Republicans about Mexico and Mexican immigrants on the campaign trail."

"I almost feel obliged to apologize for some of what my political colleagues said," Biden said alongside Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto. "It's a heated campaign season and I just want you to know, Mr. President, that the most heated rhetoric you've heard from competitors for the nomination for president is not who we are as the American people. It is not the view that is the view of the majority of the American people. It's the exact opposite. It's the opposite view."

But in 2007, Biden called Mexico a "dysfunctional society."

"Joe Biden shared his views on illegal immigration with an Iowa crowd, saying that the solution starts with big changes in the Mexican economy. 'They're being irresponsible. This is the second-wealthiest nation in the hemisphere - we're not talking about Sierra Leone,' the Democratic presidential candidate said. 'This is a dysfunctional society.'

In 2001, Biden said something similar about Mexico and Colombia. "If you study any of these countries you realize that they end up where they are in large part because of dysfunctional systems they have, because of dysfunctional societies relating to access to opportunity within those societies."

http://www.weeklystandard.com/article/2001312

HAPPY2BME

dysfunction

: the condition of having poor and unhealthy behaviors and attitudes within a group of people