Author Topic: Lands' End apologizes for feature on feminist Gloria Steinem  (Read 974 times)

Wingnut

Lands' End apologizes for feature on feminist Gloria Steinem
« on: February 25, 2016, 09:19:14 pm »

DODGEVILLE, Wis. — Wisconsin-based retailer Lands' End is apologizing to customers for featuring an interview with feminist and political activist Gloria Steinem in its spring catalog and has removed references to her from its website.

The company on Tuesday removed a feature on Steinem from its website after customers complained about her support for abortion rights, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported http://bit.ly/1QG5CMQ. The retailer on Wednesday issued an apology after offended customers complained, including by flooding the company's Facebook page with hundreds of comments and vows to stop shopping the stores.
"We understand that some of our customers were offended by the inclusion of an interview in a recent catalog with Gloria Steinem on her quest for women's equality," the company said in a statement. "We thought it was a good idea and we heard from our customers that, for different reasons, it wasn't."

Steinem had been interviewed by company CEO Federica Marchionni for the Lands' End "Legend Series," which features people "who have made a difference in both their respective industries and the world at large," according to the company.
At least two private religious schools also have weighed in, saying they plan to stop purchasing uniforms from Lands' End and are urging others to do the same. In a letter to the company, Missouri College of the Ozarks administrator Sue Head said its decision to feature a "well-known abortion activist" helped lead to the school's decision to shop elsewhere. Head said the college has spent more than $150,000 in the company's uniform division.

More:
http://www.jsonline.com/business/lands-end-apologizes-for-featuring-gloria-steinem-in-spring-catalog-b99676381z1-370037781.html
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/lands-end-apologizes-for-feature-on-feminist-gloria-steinem/ar-BBq0mEA?ocid=spartandhp
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 09:21:44 pm by Wingnut »

Offline mountaineer

Re: Lands' End apologizes for feature on feminist Gloria Steinem
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2016, 09:24:27 pm »
I hope the genius at Lands' End who thought honoring Gloria Steinem and, I believe, sending money to her foundation were good ideas is currently perusing the help wanted section.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline flowers

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2016, 09:38:04 pm »
Wow....one for our side.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, 09:40:02 pm »
Wow....one for our side.

Yeah............ and they're few and far between!
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2016, 09:47:53 pm »
When I heard about this, especially the part about LE sending money to Steinem's foundation (which I read somewhere), my relationship with this company ended.

Wingnut

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2016, 09:48:20 pm »
One would think the CEO of a company based in rural Wisc, that does a great deal of business selling School uniforms to Private and religious schools would know better than donate money to an avowed abortionists pet baby killing fund? 

Offline flowers

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2016, 09:56:18 pm »
One would think the CEO of a company based in rural Wisc, that does a great deal of business selling School uniforms to Private and religious schools would know better than donate money to an avowed abortionists pet baby killing fund?
Yes you would.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2016, 10:25:44 pm »

The pressure from the left and the desire to be 'accepted' by this corrupt society has made more than one person/company to make a stupid decision that they should have known better and not made.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2016, 01:01:07 pm »
Malkin: Lands' End Learns Abortion Extremism is Bad Business
By: Michelle Malkin | February 24, 2016

If you’re a parent of school-age kids like me, chances are you’ve ordered clothes from Land’s End. The clothing company’s polo shirts in primary color and iron-knee pants are staples of both public charter and private school uniforms.

Offending a massive chunk of your client base would seem like a non-starter. But the retailer plunged ahead, anyway. Steven Ertelt of the indispensable LifeNews.com reported last night that Land’s End had launched “a year-long campaign to honor pro-abortion feminist Gloria Steinem by donating to one of her organizations.”   ...
Rest of article at conservative review
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 09:36:44 pm by mountaineer »

Wingnut

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2016, 01:22:44 pm »
UPDATE: A source in a position to know — I’ll say no more to protect privacy — tells me that Lands End’s executives were explicitly warned that it would be extremely stupid to praise Gloria Steinem, especially given that the company does an enormous business providing school uniforms to Catholic and Protestant schools. The executives who made the decision live in the NYC bubble — the Italian-born CEO is surrounded by New York cultural lefties, and had no idea that this would be a thing — and could not imagine that anybody would see Steinem as politically controversial.

NY values strike again!

Offline mountaineer

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2016, 02:05:59 pm »
NY values strike again!

Since precision of language seems needed, it's "Manhattan Values". Capece?
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee