Author Topic: Senior U.S. Supreme Court Associate Justice Antonin Scalia found dead at West Texas ranch  (Read 11041 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
The Court can operate with only eight Justices.  The number of SC Justices is established by Congress via statute.  It has varied in the past.

many cases have been judged with fewer due to recusing or illness.

HAPPY2BME

Anyone wanna bet Obama WON'T nominate either a lesbian or a TRANSGENDER?

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
The Hill ‏@thehill 19m19 minutes ago

Judiciary Cmte member's spox says "zero" chance Obama appoints Scalia replacement

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/269382-reports-justice-scalia-dead
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mountaineer

One more communist on the USSC coming our way.
Eric Holder is available,  but will Obammy get bold and name a Muslim?  **nononono*
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Senator Harry Reid ‏@SenatorReid 7m7 minutes ago

The President can and should send the Senate a nominee right away. The Senate has a responsibility to fill vacancies as soon as possible.
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
SavageNation ‏@SavageNation 8m8 minutes ago

TWITTER ERUPTS With Hateful Tweets Following News That Conservative Justice Scalia Has Died:
Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Brit Hume ‏@brithume 10m10 minutes ago

Senate GOP would be smart not to announce they'll block any Obama SCOTUS nominee. Smart play would be simply to do it.
Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Michele Bachmann ‏@MicheleBachmann 33m33 minutes ago

Reading a Scalia dissent was akin to reading a Shakespearean sonnet. RIP
53 retweets 99 likes
Support the USO

Offline EdinVA

The President can and should send the Senate a nominee right away. The Senate has a responsibility to fill vacancies as soon as possible.

Uncle Harry needs another session with his exercise equipment... :)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Uncle Harry needs another session with his exercise equipment... :)

Is his brother available... :silly:
Support the USO

Offline Carling

Look at this ghoul.  This is going to backfire on the Dems.
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
This should scare everyone

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2016/02/13/senate-unlikely-confirm-obama-supreme-court-nominee/80351274/

The death of Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia creates a rare opportunity for President Obama to appoint a new justice for a lifetime term,  but winning confirmation by the Republican-controlled Senate in an election year would be nearly impossible.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., indicated the Senate will not move on an Obama nomination.

"The American people‎ should have a voice in the selection of their next Supreme Court Justice. Therefore, this vacancy should not be filled until we have a new President," he said in a statement.

Shortly after Scalia's death was confirmed, the communications director for Sen. Mike Lee of Utah, a member of the Judiciary Committee, signaled the battle ahead.

Conn Carroll posted on Twitter: "What is less than zero? The chances of Obama successfully appointing a Supreme Court Justice to replace Scalia."

The opening undoubtedly will fuel at debate in the presidential campaign about the importance of choosing his successor on a closely divided court.

The death was first reported by the San Antonio Express News on its website, quoting U.S. District Judge Fred Biery.

"It's unfortunate with any death, and politically in the presidential cycle we're in, my educated guess is nothing will happen until the next president is elected," Biery told the newspaper.

Sen. Patrick Leahy of Vermont, the top ranking Democrat on the Senate Judiciary Committee said there is no reason a new justice should not be confirmed.

"I hope that no one will use this sad news to suggest that the President or the Senate should not perform its constitutional duty," Leahy said. "The American people deserve to have a fully functioning Supreme Court. The Supreme Court of the United States is too important to our democracy for it to be understaffed for partisan reasons. It is only February. The President and the Senate should get to work without delay to nominate, consider and confirm the next justice to serve on the Supreme Court.”

Most lawmakers stuck to statements of tribute to Scalia's contributions to the nation, but some cast ahead to the political battle likely to follow.

Rep. Chris Stewart, R-Utah, tweeted "senate must not allow this Pres to seat his replacement."

---

The body is barely cold and lines are already being drawn. McConnell says he's on the 'no' side, but obviously the Dems are already pushing, no surprise there. We'll see how it pans out.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 11:42:41 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., indicated the Senate will not move on an Obama nomination.

I wish I could trust McConnell
Support the USO

Online mountaineer

I just responded to Reid's tweet by calling him a POS. I may be in trouble. 
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Right_in_Virginia

I wish I could trust McConnell

We have no choice.   **nononono*

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
My concern: Obama will appoint a minority woman then bring out out the armies of leftists to the charges of racism if the Senate balks and delays.  It works for the election and it works for making the Senate Republican cave.  Under that pressure, they will cave.  If not, Obama unleashes riots this summer in the cities.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline flowers

I just responded to Reid's tweet by calling him a POS. I may be in trouble.
you might be......then again being on a forum like this you already are in the line of fire.  :smokin:

Offline flowers

My concern: Obama will appoint a minority woman then bring out out the armies of leftists to the charges of racism if the Senate balks and delays.  It works for the election and it works for making the Senate Republican cave.  Under that pressure, they will cave.  If not, Obama unleashes riots this summer in the cities.
you are correct.....yet obama unleashes riots anyway this summer no matter what.

Maybe this will wake people up to the seriousness of elections and whats at stake. Especially when we see who Obama nominates.

I want Ted Cruz on the Supreme Court .... always have, and always will. 

Offline 17 Oaks

• The Ranch in S Texas
I want Ted Cruz on the Supreme Court .... always have, and always will.
X2!!!!!!!!!!
Don:  Got here thru God, Guns and Guts, I speak John Wayne, Johnny Cash and John Deere; this make ME: Christian, Conservative, Capitalist, Constitutionalist...

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Honest John wrote:
"If it's delayed until a Senate recess, then obama would be able to appoint anyone to the vacancy (at least, until the end of the next Senate)."

Let this become "the scenario".

The Senate should refuse to consider a nominee in 2016, and McConnell should specifically (and PUBLICLY) convey to obama that no nominee will be conisdered until 2017.

Let obama appoint a replacement if he dares.
The appointment will end with his presidency.

Offline flowers

Fight over Scalia replacement heats up as Democrats demand vote this year

http://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/feb/13/fight-over-antonin-scalia-replacement-heats-democr/

The battle over replacing Justice Antonin Scalia was already underway Saturday afternoon, an unseemly few hours after news of his death shook Washington, with Democrats insisting President Obama should be able to name a quick replacement.

With the court now divided between four Republican-appointed justices and four Democratic picks, Mr. Obama would have a chance to tilt the bench decidedly to the left, and liberal lawmakers said he should have that chance.

Offline 17 Oaks

• The Ranch in S Texas
Here is the reality folks:  FACT is there should be no diff between a Rep or Dim on the SCOTUS bench.  Their SINGULAR job is to decide upon where or not that when appears before the USSC is in compliance with the US Constitution or not...no more, no less!  Sadly its drifted far far from the that.
Don:  Got here thru God, Guns and Guts, I speak John Wayne, Johnny Cash and John Deere; this make ME: Christian, Conservative, Capitalist, Constitutionalist...