Author Topic: Senior U.S. Supreme Court Associate Justice Antonin Scalia found dead at West Texas ranch  (Read 11094 times)

Offline flowers

I highly doubt Obama will appoint his replacement.
he already has a name in valjars desk. Senate will run at warp speed to give it to him.

Offline MACVSOG68

I highly doubt Obama will appoint his replacement.

My guess is he's meeting with valjar as we speak.  He not only hopes he can get a replacement seated, but if not, his Party can use it in the Fall.
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Offline MACVSOG68

he already has a name in valjars desk. Senate will run at warp speed to give it to him.

Why would the Senate do that?  It's in Republican hands.
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
Senate will run at warp speed to give it to him.

I don't think so.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline aligncare

All at once I'm saddened - and worried.

RIP Antonin Scalia. You will be sorely missed.

Offline flowers

Why would the Senate do that?  It's in Republican hands.
They have given him everything else he has wanted. AG Lynch is a example. That other real hard core lefty fed judge just a few weeks ago too.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Maybe this will wake people up to the seriousness of elections and whats at stake. Especially when we see who Obama nominates.

Offline flowers

I don't think so.
I hope you are correct. What is going to happen with the decisions they have now that are supposed to come out in June?  The process will wait until 2017?

Offline ABX

They have given him everything else he has wanted. AG Lynch is a example. That other real hard core lefty fed judge just a few weeks ago too.

I bet there will be one senator or two who says no, and he'll be mocked as not getting along.

Offline EdinVA

Will Obama try another recess appointment?
Or does that apply to the SCOTUS?

Offline ABX

Will Obama try another recess appointment?
Or does that apply to the SCOTUS?

He'll try anything, legal or not and the deal makers in the Senate will go along.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
McConnell won't hold a vote in an election year.

And this will be one of THE major issues in the election.  We know what Hillary or Sanders would do.

We do not know what Trump would do.

McConnell better not try and seat a new Justice this year...it's not an emergency and can wait until 2017
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mountaineer

Heartbreaking.  May Congress stand up to The Won and refuse to confirm whatever Muslim or homosexual he names.  8888crybaby
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 11:08:50 pm by mountaineer »
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline flowers

McConnell better not try and seat a new Justice this year...it's not an emergency and can wait until 2017
what happens to all the decisions they have right now? immigration, voter rights, obamacare? they wait until new senate??? does anyone here know?

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2016/02/13/pete_williams_id_be_very_surprised_if_senate_even_considers_supreme_court_nomination_in_election_year.html

Pete Williams: I'd Be "Very Surprised" If Senate Even Considers Supreme Court Nomination In Election Year
123 Shares
Posted on February 13, 2016

NBC chief legal analyst Pete Williams reacts to the death of Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia, aged 79, on Saturday. Williams says he would be "very surprised" if the vacancy would be filled before the next Supreme Court term starts in October.

"I would be very surprised, frankly, if a vacancy can be filled in time for the next term to start when it starts in October, but it's such an unexpected thing, such a sudden thing, it's such a shock, and that's the way these things tend to go," Williams said.

Williams' full commentary below, aired on MSNBC:

PETE WILLIAMS, NBC'S CHIEF LEGAL ANALYST: The president will have to pick a nominee, President Obama, and the question here is whether the Senate will even consider a nominee under these circumstances in the middle of an election year. Normally when Supreme Court Justices think about retiring, because of ill health or whatever considerations, they don't historically do it in an election year if they can all avoid it because they don't want the nomination of their replacement to be a political football.

When something like this happens there is no choice but it is a very difficult time and it's certainly going to be something that the Senate is going to have to think about, whether they're going to leave the Supreme Court with just eight Justices and wait until the presidential election to see if a Republican gets elected and will appoint the next nominee or go ahead and fill this vacancy.

I would be very surprised, frankly, if a vacancy can be filled in time for the next term to start when it starts in October, but it's such an unexpected thing, such a sudden thing, it's such a shock, and that's the way these things tend to go.
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

HAPPY2BME

VERY disturbing!

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
This should make the debate very interesting tonight
Support the USO

HAPPY2BME

He'll try anything, legal or not and the deal makers in the Senate will go along.

=================================

Apply that to everything.

HAPPY2BME

This should make the debate very interesting tonight

================================

The questions have already been crafted and reviewed by approving eyes and ears.

They will have to jump through hoops to change the script now, but they can still do it.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
The court can operate with eight justices, but any decisions that result in a 4-4 split among the justices leave the lower court decision unchanged:

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/corner
Support the USO

Offline katzenjammer

what happens to all the decisions they have right now? immigration, voter rights, obamacare? they wait until new senate??? does anyone here know?

The Court can operate with only eight Justices.  The number of SC Justices is established by Congress via statute.  It has varied in the past. 

Offline flowers

U.S. Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia dies of natural causes in luxury Texas resort, aged 79

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3445976/Associate-Justice-Antonin-Scalia-dies-natural-causes-luxury-Texas-resort-aged-79.html

Scalia, 79, died of apparent natural causes at the Cibolo Creek Ranch south of Marfa, Texas, on Saturday
    The Supreme Court Justice was at the resort to go quail hunting and to attend a party on Friday
    When he didn't show up for breakfast on Saturday, a person associated with the ranch went to his room and found a body
    Scalia was nominated to the US Supreme Court in 1986 and is the longest-serving justice

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Support the USO

HAPPY2BME

Senior U.S. Supreme Court Associate Justice Antonin Scalia found dead at West Texas ranch

A man guards the entrance to Cibolo Creek Ranch Saturday Feb. 13, 2016 on U.S. 67 near Shafter, Tx.

Associate Justice Antonin Scalia was found dead of apparent natural causes Saturday on a luxury resort in West Texas, federal officials said.

Scalia, 79, was a guest at the Cibolo Creek Ranch, a resort in the Big Bend region south of Marfa.

According to a report, Scalia arrived at the ranch on Friday and attended a private party with about 40 people. When he did not appear for breakfast, a person associated with the ranch went to his room and found a body.

Chief U.S. District Judge Orlando Garcia, of the Western Judicial District of Texas, was notified about the death from the U.S. Marshals Service.   

U.S. District Judge Fred Biery said he was among those notified about Scalia's death.

"I was told it was this morning," Biery said of Scalia's death. "It happened on a ranch out near Marfa. As far as the details, I think it's pretty vague right now as to how," he said. "My reaction is it's very unfortunate. It's unfortunate with any death, and politically in the presidential cycle we're in, my educated guess is nothing will happen before the next president is elected."

The U.S. Marshal Service, the Presidio County sheriff and the FBI were involved in the investigation.

Officials with the law enforcement agencies declined to comment.

A federal official who asked not to be named said there was no evidence of foul play and it appeared that Scalia died of natural causes.

A gray Cadillac hearse pulled into the ranch Saturday afternoon and left about 5 p.m. The hearse came from Alpine Memorial Funeral Home.

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott released a statement Saturday afternoon, calling Scalia a man of God, a patriot and an "unwavering defender of the written Constitution."

"He was the solid rock who turned away so many attempts to depart from and distort the Constitution," Abbott said. "We mourn his passing, and we pray that his successor on the Supreme Court will take his place as a champion for the written Constitution and the Rule of Law. Cecilia and I extend our deepest condolences to his family, and we will keep them in our thoughts and prayers."

Scalia was nominated to the U.S. Supreme Court in 1986 by President Ronald Reagan.

Staff writers Vianna Davila, Tyler White, Richard A. Marini and John MacCormack contributed to this report.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/us-world/article/Senior-Associate-Justice-Antonin-Scalia-found-6828930.php

HAPPY2BME

One more communist on the USSC coming our way.