Author Topic: Senior U.S. Supreme Court Associate Justice Antonin Scalia found dead at West Texas ranch  (Read 11109 times)

Wingnut

Obama decided not to throw down a gauntlet.

His mouth was saying one thing but You know his mind was saying: Recess appointment recess appointment....

Offline sinkspur

Raising the tension quietly, sounding more statesman-like than the first sounds from Senate Republicans. Holding his cards to his vest.  He signaled to the Senate R's that he will bring out the knives if he needs to.  This will be a brutal battle but he wants the higher ground.  They will plan this out.

The "higher ground" is to let the next president decide. American voters understand that. Let them decide which direction the court will go. He is not going to get a confirmed candidate on the court.  He may recess appoint, but that's an entirely different matter.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline flowers

Raising the tension quietly, sounding more statesman-like than the first sounds from Senate Republicans. Holding his cards to his vest.  He signaled to the Senate R's that he will bring out the knives if he needs to.  This will be a brutal battle but he wants the higher ground.  They will plan this out.
they have had this  speech in the works since he took office. nothing is overlooked by them. NOTHING.

Offline Lando Lincoln

He will nominate and the Senate has plenty of time to approve...the rest of his statement was platitudes to Scalia and his family

Thanks.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline sinkspur

they have had this  speech in the works since he took office. nothing is overlooked by them. NOTHING.

It was a nothing speech.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Everybody over to the Live thread
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline flowers

The "higher ground" is to let the next president decide. American voters understand that. Let them decide which direction the court will go. He is not going to get a confirmed candidate on the court.  He may recess appoint, but that's an entirely different matter.
why won't he get one confirmed? this has been a goal for the left for decades. Rule the SC. please tell me why you don't think it will happen.

Offline flowers

did he order the flags to be lowered?

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS

Not in Obama's view it isn't...nor his partisans.  I would not be too certain about what American voters understand, that depends entirely on where their interests and loyalties lie.  He may appoint and raise the pressure to a very high intensity...then recess appoint.  This is for the Democrats the Golden Calf of all Golden Calfs, they will not let this go without The Mother of All Battles, there will be scorched earth.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
I had been out tonight, just logged in and found this.  Just awful news.  I am speechless for now.  It looks like you guys have pretty much covered all the implications.

Offline sinkspur

why won't he get one confirmed? this has been a goal for the left for decades. Rule the SC. please tell me why you don't think it will happen.

Because McConnell has already said he will not bring the nomination to the Judiciary Committee. No hearing, no vote, no confirmation.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
President Obama Says He Will Nominate Justice Scalia’s Replacement

http://time.com/4220790/president-obama-justice-scalia-replacement/

"I plan to fulfill my constitutional responsibilities to nominate a successor in due time"

President Obama said he would nominate someone to replace Justice Antonin Scalia on the U.S. Supreme Court, who died Saturday at age 79. Obama called Scalia a “larger than life presence on the bench.”

“I plan to fulfill my constitutional responsibilities to nominate a successor in due time,” Obama said. “These are responsibilities I take seriously as should everyone.”

President said though the nomination is important, Saturday night was about honoring Scalia’s life and offering condolences to the family.

“He influenced a generation of lawyers, judges and students,” Obama said. “Tonight, we honor his extraordinary service to our nation and honor one of the most towering legal figures of our time.”

Obama’s signal that he will nominate a replacement flies in the face of statements made by Republicans on the campaign trail and in the Senate, despite signals from Senate leaders that the process would be difficult.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said Saturday that the “American people‎ should have a voice in the selection of their next Supreme Court Justice. “Therefore,” he said in a statement, “this vacancy should not be filled until we have a new President.”

McConnell’s statement was met with a fiery retort from Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid, who said leaving a seat on the Supreme Court vacant for a year until Obama’s successor takes office would be “unprecedented.”

“Failing to fill this vacancy would be a shameful abdication of one of the Senate’s most essential Constitutional responsibilities,” Reid said.

Scalia’s death came at a volatile time in American politics and as TIME’s Jay Newton Small writes, could upend both the Republican party and the Court. “Currently the court swings 5-4 conservative. But if President Obama manages to confirm a liberal to the bench, it will swing the court 5-4 the other way,” Jay writes. “This could have profound and reaching implications on everything from abortion and women’s rights to campaign finance and Second Amendment rights.”

President Obama has successfully appointed two justices during his two terms in office, including Justice Sonia Sotomayor in 2009 and Justice Elena Kagan in 2010. Though Obama said Saturday he would fulfill his presidential duty of appointing another justice given the seat left vacant by Scalia, the road ahead will be bumpy.

Obama did not say who he would be nominating in the coming months, but whoever he taps will likely face significant opposition from Republican lawmakers.
The Republic is lost.

Offline flowers

Not in Obama's view it isn't...nor his partisans.  I would not be too certain about what American voters understand, that depends entirely on where their interests and loyalties lie.  He may appoint and raise the pressure to a very high intensity...then recess appoint.  This is for the Democrats the Golden Calf of all Golden Calfs, they will not let this go without The Mother of All Battles, there will be scorched earth.
as you posted before....game over. this is one of the top items they have wanted for very many years. The SC. they will stop at nothing to get and they will get it. they have been appointing their like minded judges for many years. this is the icing on the cake for them. they will not be denied.

Offline sinkspur

Let 'em scorch the earth.  And, he can recess appoint after January 3 of next year. And he will. And if Hillary wins (or some other Democrat), then that candidate will be her nominee.

It's been 80 years since a justice nominee has been nominated and confirmed in an election year.  It won't happen this year.

Offline flowers

Because McConnell has already said he will not bring the nomination to the Judiciary Committee. No hearing, no vote, no confirmation.
then it is kabuki theater. when has McConnel not given obama what he wants? 

Offline flowers

Let 'em scorch the earth.  And, he can recess appoint after January 3 of next year. And he will. And if Hillary wins (or some other Democrat), then that candidate will be her nominee.

It's been 80 years since a justice nominee has been nominated and confirmed in an election year.  It won't happen this year.
these are different days sink. nothing is normal. they have won. bet on it.

Offline sinkspur

as you posted before....game over. this is one of the top items they have wanted for very many years. The SC. they will stop at nothing to get and they will get it. they have been appointing their like minded judges for many years. this is the icing on the cake for them. they will not be denied.

Mitch McConnell says you are wrong.

Offline sinkspur

these are different days sink. nothing is normal. they have won. bet on it.

I'll bet that I'm right.

A thousand dollars.

You game?

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Remember, Mitch McConnell wants to see government work and that filibusters and procedural blocks are beneath the office of the Senate. I have no doubt he will eventually cave on some "compromise" candidate who is probably on the same level as Sonia Sotomayor—who has turned out to be a reliable pro-Obama vote.

This could be the turning point of our country's history. One needs only to look at the Warren Court to see the kind of carnage and destruction a runaway liberal court can cause.

I truly fear for the Republic.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Scalia’s death came at a volatile time in American politics and as TIME’s Jay Newton Small writes, could upend both the Republican party and the Court. “Currently the court swings 5-4 conservative. But if President Obama manages to confirm a liberal to the bench, it will swing the court 5-4 the other way,” Jay writes. “This could have profound and reaching implications on everything from abortion and women’s rights to campaign finance and Second Amendment rights.”
Not quite. You had three conservatives (Scalia, Thomas and Alito), two swing votes (Roberts, Kennedy) and four liberals (Sotomayor, Kagan, Breyer and Ginsburg). The court was in a delicate balance ever since the early 1990s, one that is dangerously close to being upset.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Charlespg

They will chip it away in pieces.

I tell you, the Democrats will rip this country into pieces, go to war - literally, on the streets - to get this appointment. If the Republican Senate delays or rejects the appointment, there will be violence.
Let them  I have resigned myself to God ,but I do not intend to go lightly or with out a fight
Rather Trump Then Cackles Clinton

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
We are going to have to help and encourage our Senators to resist letting this ...president appoint the next justice.

Offline R4 TrumPence

I am Repub4Bush on FR '02

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
This will be the biggest get-out-the-vote issue for Democrats this year.  Hillary is dancing a jig, she knows the Republicans holding firm in the Senate - the massive hullabaloo it will cause in the media - gets her people to the polls, particularly blacks who feel the Senate is dissing their homie.

Exactly, Scott.

The Media complex with the Democrats will make this ISSUE #1 for the coming campaign.

When they get through hammering this, the youth vote will come out in droves....as well as every Negro on the Continent.

Not only is the GOP screwed, but the Constitution and the country as founded is finished if a Republican doesn't win in November.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
How history can pivot on a dime.   

It is most likely, that the next President will be the one confirming Scalia's replacement. We are about to find out that the biggest issue of this election is not immigration, or the great great Wall somebody is promising, or  how best to defeat ISIS or keep jobs in America and Taxes low. But How to retain a 5/4 SCOTUS, and assure a 6/3 if another appointment opens up.     Trump saying his pro-abortion sister would make a great Supreme Court Judge, could come back to haunt him beginning at tonight's debate.

Just the other day, I said that these Conservative judges need to get tasters...or stay the hell out of public...commit themselves to 'House Arrest'.

I understand this happens to people 79 years of age.  Everyday.  But...the timing here is devastating and can't help but wonder.....

Everything seems so logical to me and yet nobody else seems to see it.

Am I going crazy?   :shrug:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald