Author Topic: Senior U.S. Supreme Court Associate Justice Antonin Scalia found dead at West Texas ranch  (Read 11106 times)

HonestJohn

Not sure...anyone?

I think it lasts until the next Senate session approves the appointment... or till the end of the next Senate session, if not. 

The only way to stop it is if the Senate does not go into recess.  Being an election year, I don't hold any hope that the Senate will stay in session for 11 months.  That would prevent the Senators from running their re-election campaigns.

Offline EdinVA

Evidently obama is getting ready to speak....

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Fox reporting that Obama will nominate someone soon..

Eric Holder.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

Of course he is..it's actually a little fast even for him....that SCOTUS list must be burning a hole in his pocket
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline flowers

They will chip it away in pieces.

I tell you, the Democrats will rip this country into pieces, go to war - literally, on the streets - to get this appointment. If the Republican Senate delays or rejects the appointment, there will be violence.
yep..

Offline flowers

Of course he is..it's actually a little fast even for him....that SCOTUS list must be burning a hole in his pocket
good gwad....that list has been buring a hole in valjars desk for many years.  **nononono* 

Offline flowers

i can hear it now....senate must act or i will. EA/EO. this is the one of  highest thing on these peoples wish list...supreme court. now they have it.

Offline NavyCanDo

One of the bulwarks is gone.

This goes to show how important this election will be.   The Senate will delay any replacement until the new President is known.

Folks,  I hate to sound like a broken record,  but this terrible loss should focus minds about what's really important, and what must be done.  Trump cannot be the nominee.   The time for games and vanity is over.  This election must be won. 

R.I.P.  Justice Scalia.

:thumbsup:
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Likely nominee?

Sri Srinivasan from the D.C. Circuit Court.

Then the Republican move to delay and not confirm can be turned into a race issue.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 01:22:10 am by Luis Gonzalez »
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
If you can stomach it, you can watch Obama's statement live (and also the debate later):

http://www.cbsnews.com/live/
The Republic is lost.

Offline sinkspur

Not sure...anyone?

Yes. If someone is nominated and approved, then the recessed-appointed Justice has to step down.
If nobody is appointed (by, say, a Hillary), the recessed justice gets to stay on the court until the end of the Congressional term, which is January of 2019
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Online Lando Lincoln

Then the Republican move to delay and not confirm can be turned into a race issue.

Political calculus to the extreme from here out. Our enemies within are relentless, incessant and always undaunted. Move incrementally and imperceptively always; and in huge leaps when opportunities arise.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline sinkspur

I think it lasts until the next Senate session approves the appointment... or till the end of the next Senate session, if not. 

The only way to stop it is if the Senate does not go into recess.  Being an election year, I don't hold any hope that the Senate will stay in session for 11 months.  That would prevent the Senators from running their re-election campaigns.

Even if they do stay in session for 11 months, the current Senate term ends January 3, 2017.  So Obama has 18 days to recess appoint and you can bet he will.

Offline NavyCanDo

Like most of you, I'm learning on the fly how these appointments work, but let me inject some facts in this discussion, - some pros and cons:

•Supreme Court appointments are rarely actually rejected. The last was Reagan's appointment of Robert Bork in 1987, which was rejected by a Democratic Senate in Reagan's last year of office, so a similar, but reversed situation to what we have now. Reagan's second appointee was forced to withdraw because of a scandal and finally Justice Kennedy was approved unanimously.

•Even lame duck presidents eventually get a nominee in, even if it is not their first nominee.

•An exception can be the so-called "Thurmond Rule" which according to Wikipedia "is an informal and somewhat amorphous rule in the United States Senate regarding confirmations of judicial nominees. The rule has been described as being that "no lifetime judicial appointments would move in the last six months or so of a lame-duck presidency." This is not really a rule, it is more like a political reality.

•The record for longest time period to go through the process is 125 days, although this one could set a new record. Obama has about 342 remaining in office. I think our best hope is that Obama nominates someone they can find grounds to reject and they take their time doing it. Then the next nominee starts pretty close to that six month window. Then they could drag their feet until the clock runs out and not actually have to reject the second nominee.

•More bad news: Obama could appoint a nominee during Senate recess and they have three big ones coming up: Summer, Fall and Winter. That appointment would only last for two years, though, not a lifetime. However, a Democratic Senate blocked Bush from making recess appointments using "pro forma" sessions, where one Senator stays behind on recess, opens the Senate each day to an empty chamber and they closes it ten minutes later. The Senate is technically still in session, so the president can't make a recess appointment, but nothing gets done.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline NavyCanDo

From what I have heard he had been quail hunting in west Texas yesterday and told his hunting companions he was not feeling well yesterday evening and passed in his sleep. He was discovered this morning when he did not show up at breakfast.

Not a bad way to end your journey in this life.

Offline flowers

Offline sinkspur

Mitch McConnell does not have to take up a nomination. And he will not take up an Obama nomination to Scalia's seat.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Jonathan Turley just stated that the time between Jan 3 and the 20th..the Senate is in recess and the President can appoint someone..
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Just got home and saw the sad news.  RIP Antonin Scalia.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline sinkspur

Obama decided not to throw down a gauntlet.

Online Lando Lincoln

What did he say?  If someone would be kind enough to summarize.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 01:53:15 am by Lando Lincoln »
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

...at least not yet..but you know that will change when pressure is put upon him
Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
What did he say?  If someone would be kind enough to summarize.

He will nominate and the Senate has plenty of time to approve...the rest of his statement was platitudes to Scalia and his family
Support the USO

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS

Raising the tension quietly, sounding more statesman-like than the first sounds from Senate Republicans. Holding his cards to his vest.  He signaled to the Senate R's that he will bring out the knives if he needs to.  This will be a brutal battle but he wants the higher ground.  They will plan this out. 
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline flowers

what did he say??