Author Topic: For Serious Coffee Drinkers  (Read 3855 times)

Offline 17 Oaks

• The Ranch in S Texas
For Serious Coffee Drinkers
« on: February 06, 2016, 02:42:48 pm »
So if you are like me and you look forward to a GREAT cup o joe each morning and you are not just drinking coffee to be drinking coffee (as I did most of my military career) but truly savor the flavor, then you drink it straight and nothing but hot.  You also go to the trouble to use grounds and make the perfect cup.

But how do you release the spectrum of flavors that great beans and provide?  Well to start with the beans have to be of good quality and I will let you chose the bean you want as they all bring different flavors and notes to the table.

Now we get to the seriousness of bringing out the flavor and to do this you MUST go for the deepest of all roasting, which is Italian Roast.  But it does not end there.  If you want to taste all the bean and roasting has to offer then the next step is the grind.  There is only one grind that lets all the bean and roasting has to offer and the flavors dance across your tongue smoother than Fred Astaire and that is the 'Turkish Grind'.  Not common in the US and in fact few places offer a Turkish Grind, let alone the looks you get when you ask for your beans to be treated as such.

No matter what you think of Starbucks, their Italian Roast Beans are superb and their stores can all do the Turkish Roast as they have the machines for it.  You may have to ask more than one of their baristas to get it, but they can do it.
If you love the flavor of coffee and want more intensity along with all the notes the bean can release then try it.

Enjoy...

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 02:44:08 pm by 17 Oaks »
Don:  Got here thru God, Guns and Guts, I speak John Wayne, Johnny Cash and John Deere; this make ME: Christian, Conservative, Capitalist, Constitutionalist...

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: For Serious Coffee Drinkers
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 07:01:48 pm »
I love French Roast...but I think I will try the Italian Roast...the Turkish might be a little too strong for me.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 07:55:02 pm »
So we got the origin of the bean, the type of the bean, the roasting of the bean, the grinding of the bean, before we even hit the ground bean with hot water.

What about type type of water, the temperature of the water, the type of coffee maker, filter etc. ?

I discovered hot coffee, one cold morning during Basic Training, when I decided to risk change, get in line for the bitter hot liquid, and alas, it was better than standing out there rubbing my hands together.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 08:13:08 pm »
So we got the origin of the bean, the type of the bean, the roasting of the bean, the grinding of the bean, before we even hit the ground bean with hot water.

What about type type of water, the temperature of the water, the type of coffee maker, filter etc. ?

I discovered hot coffee, one cold morning during Basic Training, when I decided to risk change, get in line for the bitter hot liquid, and alas, it was better than standing out there rubbing my hands together.

For me, I start with distilled water. No taste. I bring the water to a full boil.

Grind my own beans just before. I use a regular grinder, but supposedly a burr grinder is best. They are expensive though.

I use a Bodum coffee press (example: http://www.bodum.com/us/en-us/shop/detail/10938-01B/) to make the coffee. Let it steep 5-10 minutes.

Sam's Club and Costco has good cheap whole beans in bulk. My favorite though is Equal Exchange (http://equalexchange.coop/). Expensive as hell, but oh so worth it.

The Republic is lost.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2016, 08:22:29 pm »
I like Starbucks Italian Roast and Cafe Verona and drink it everyday.  I have a coffee press, but I rarely use it - just use a drip coffee maker for convenience.  Would the turkish grind work in a drip pot? 

I detest "flavored" coffee and would never use sugar - but I do love my cream!  Real cream, none of that powdered or flavored yuk. 

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2016, 08:25:34 pm »
For me, I start with distilled water. No taste. I bring the water to a full boil.

Grind my own beans just before. I use a regular grinder, but supposedly a burr grinder is best. They are expensive though.

I use a Bodum coffee press (example: http://www.bodum.com/us/en-us/shop/detail/10938-01B/) to make the coffee. Let it steep 5-10 minutes.

Sam's Club and Costco has good cheap whole beans in bulk. My favorite though is Equal Exchange (http://equalexchange.coop/). Expensive as hell, but oh so worth it.
I am not a connoisseur like you. Black, full flavor, not too bitter, and I am good.

But I can tell the difference between "very good," and "truly outstanding." (I do NOT like the bitterness of most Starbucks coffees.)

Here is the recognized local standard, truly outstanding coffee.

"Diedrich's" sold a chain of about 30 shops, to Starbucks, but kept going and now has another brand, "Kean's ."

He kept his wholesale bean business, and is probably well set financially. Doing it for the love of it.

http://www.keancoffee.com/Info/AboutMartin.aspx

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2016, 08:34:56 pm »
I am not a connoisseur like you. Black, full flavor, not too bitter, and I am good.

But I can tell the difference between "very good," and "truly outstanding." (I do NOT like the bitterness of most Starbucks coffees.)

Here is the recognized local standard, truly outstanding coffee.

"Diedrich's" sold a chain of about 30 shops, to Starbucks, but kept going and now has another brand, "Kean's ."

He kept his wholesale bean business, and is probably well set financially. Doing it for the love of it.

http://www.keancoffee.com/Info/AboutMartin.aspx

He's got nice selection there and I'd try every one if it was in my budget.
The Republic is lost.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2016, 08:46:35 pm »
I like Starbucks Italian Roast and Cafe Verona and drink it everyday.  I have a coffee press, but I rarely use it - just use a drip coffee maker for convenience.  Would the turkish grind work in a drip pot? 

I detest "flavored" coffee and would never use sugar - but I do love my cream!  Real cream, none of that powdered or flavored yuk.

I hate flavored coffee creamers....like you just a touch of cream and that's it
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline Paladin

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2016, 08:51:38 pm »
I wandered into the wrong room. Yes, I am a serious coffee drinker, but at home I drink a cheap brand I get at Walmart, and while out I look for a McDonalds 'cause I like their coffee.

I simply loathe Starbucks both for its taste and its politics.

I shall leave now.
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2016, 08:54:23 pm »
I wandered into the wrong room. Yes, I am a serious coffee drinker, but at home I drink a cheap brand I get at Walmart, and while out I look for a McDonalds 'cause I like their coffee.

I shall leave now.

Funny. My father is a serious coffee afficianado, but he loves Mickey D's coffee. It's about all he'll drink on the road. I love the good stuff too, but I also am more than happy with a bag of Eight O'Clock columbian.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2016, 08:55:41 pm »
Water is important.  Where I live we have slightly alkaline water.  Turns out that it neutralizes the acid of the coffee a bit, and makes full, round, deep flavored coffee. 

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2016, 08:56:46 pm »

I shall leave now.

No need to leave!  McDonald's does make good coffee!

Offline Paladin

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2016, 08:59:34 pm »
No need to leave!  McDonald's does make good coffee!

Thank you for having my back, Sanguine. And a 12 oz cup is only a buck for seniors, of which I are one. 
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2016, 09:05:53 pm »
You can now buy MacDonalds coffee to brew at Walmart ..just saw it last week
Support the USO

Wingnut

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2016, 09:07:51 pm »
I like my coffee like my women.

.....held tightly between my thighs while I'm driving...... :whistle:

Offline 17 Oaks

• The Ranch in S Texas
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2016, 12:49:20 am »

Water:  Pure clean, it can be store bought or from a home RO system or just a jug of distilled.  But avoid tap water as most of it has so many chemicals it alters the flavor of the coffee.  Unless of course you live in Flint Mi and you like a heavy flavor...

Temp:  I use almost boiling water, I pull the pot off the burner at boil and pour it over my ground that are in a #4 Melita brown paper organic IIRC filter on top of the cup I will drink out of.  I drink 2 16 oz cups in the morn.

Mickey D's:  Certainly a decent cup, its in fact a good cup.  When I travel in my camper I drink Nescafe Instant Coffee.

The Turkish grind is about 1 grind short of talcum powder.  In Turkey they do not use a filter, instead they just put the grounds in the cup, stir and drink.  I too enjoy adding some grounds to my morning cup, enhances the flavor and its so fine as you won't notice.

Now post the noon hour I drink expresso by Nesspro, as good as it gets this side of Italy and the Italians truly makes the best expresso in the world...

I'm no snob, just like great coffee and I have have spilled more coffee over the sides of a canteen cup as I hold it with both hands in the bitter winters up on the DMZ of Korea and the mountains of Germany.  Infantry soldiers know coffee..at a low boil in a Mess Hall Roasting pan, with a teaspoon of salt and a handful of egg shells.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 12:53:06 am by 17 Oaks »
Don:  Got here thru God, Guns and Guts, I speak John Wayne, Johnny Cash and John Deere; this make ME: Christian, Conservative, Capitalist, Constitutionalist...

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2016, 01:46:23 pm »
"DUNKIN'DONUTS", regular blend. The perfect symbiotic coffee for doughnuts!. And not bad by itself. For strong coffee, any Italian or Portuguese brand. Unfortunately, because of age and whatever, I have to drink [most of the time] low acid coffee. But once in a while...
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2016, 01:51:14 pm »

Double the caffeine of regular coffee.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2016, 02:12:25 pm »
LOL!  Thanks for this thread.

It caused me to get off my butt and fix my damned Keurig machine.  On the 10oz selection, the cup would only brew and half cup...and then I'd have to unplug the darn thing and plug it in again (on/off switch won't cure the problem) because I'd get a "PRIME" message after every 'pour'.

Took forever to make a single cup.

All I had to do was remove the water reservoir and wash the screen filter on the bottom with warm water and a sponge, which seemed strange as I only use pure filtered bottled spring water.

Keurig's Green Mountain "Nantucket Blend" is my favorite choice...with International brand's French Vanilla poured in.   :beer:
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 02:13:40 pm by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Wingnut

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2016, 02:31:01 pm »
LOL!  Thanks for this thread.
Keurig's Green Mountain "Nantucket Blend" is my favorite choice...with International brand's French Vanilla poured in.   :beer:

I like that one too but The Green Mountain has really shown extreeme price creep over the years. 
I recently found an acceptable brew sold at Big Lots.  Victor Allen Coffee.  80 K-Cups for $25 .  Every so often BL will email a 5 dollar off coupon and that brings it down to 25 cents per cup.

Offline 17 Oaks

• The Ranch in S Texas
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2016, 03:15:25 pm »
Another thing I do from time to time is take about a ¼ teaspoon of Hershey pure chocolate powder and put it in the bottom of my cup the pour my coffee into it.  It gives you a true Mocha.  Or if you are a bean grinder you can buy some Cocoa beans and integrate them with your coffee beans when you grind them.  Start off with just a few and then adjust the qty to get the blended taste you want.

This is my Nespresso machine and it does make a great cup.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 03:16:40 pm by 17 Oaks »

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2016, 03:17:42 pm »
Another thing I do from time to time is take about a ¼ teaspoon of Hershey pure chocolate powder and put it in the bottom of my cup the pour my coffee into it.  It gives you a true Mocha.  Or if you are a bean grinder you can buy some Cocoa beans and integrate them with your coffee beans when you grind them.  Start off with just a few and then adjust the qty to get the blended taste you want.

This is my Nespresso machine and it does make a great cup.

Love a little chocolate in the coffee on wintry days.
The Republic is lost.

Offline 17 Oaks

• The Ranch in S Texas
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2016, 03:25:09 pm »
Love a little chocolate in the coffee on wintry days.
Its great, some mornings I just have a hankering for a touch of Choco.  I also want a sweet cup from time to time.  My pick is either local honey or brown sugar.  But avoid White as it has no flavor other than sweet.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2016, 03:30:23 pm »
I like that one too but The Green Mountain has really shown extreeme price creep over the years. 
I recently found an acceptable brew sold at Big Lots.  Victor Allen Coffee.  80 K-Cups for $25 .  Every so often BL will email a 5 dollar off coupon and that brings it down to 25 cents per cup.

Thanks for the tip, Wingnut.

After the local COSTCO stopped selling NANTUCKET BLEND, I've been paying $7.99 for twelve k-cups.   Too expensive when your machine isn't right.

Used to be $34. for 80 cups.

It was reported that the new Keurig machines will NOT run with anything but sanctioned brands.  Seems the machine 'recognizes' something on the foil overlay that gets punctured, etc..
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline aligncare

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2016, 03:32:35 pm »

I've got the answer to everyone's dilemma: San Francisco Bay Gourmet Coffee (check them online). The best option I have found for the lowest cost and highest quality--make that, the "best tasting coffee"--on the planet. Try their "Fog Chaser." It's a simple blend that puts Green Mountain 100% Colombian to shame, and it's $20 cheaper per 80 Kurig cup than any of the other pretenders.

Trust me. You will not believe the freshness and flavor. At BJ's: Green Mountain $49, San Francisco Bay gourmet coffee $28.

You will thank me later.