Author Topic: Donald Trump tries to put money on Communion plate  (Read 3119 times)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Donald Trump tries to put money on Communion plate
« on: February 01, 2016, 04:10:07 am »
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/donald-trump/12132971/After-tomorrow-Donald-Trump-could-be-unstoppable.html

Donald Trump launched a last minute blitz ahead of the first US presidential vote in Iowa on Monday, showing off the Bible his mother gave him, sending his sons to shoot AR-15 rifles, and inviting children to play on his private plane.

At a rally Mr Trump told voters: "We really are on the cusp of something so big. But it all doesn't matter if you don't vote.
"I don't care if you're feeling horrible, you have a 104 temperature, if your wife leaves you for another man, get out and vote."
A final authoritative poll by the Des Moines Register put Mr Trump on 28 per cent, five percentage points clear of his closest rival, the firebrand conservative senator Ted Cruz.
In Iowa 57 per cent of probable voters are evangelical Christians and Mr Trump released a video in which he showed his mother's Bible, saying it was "very special to me".
He added: "I want to thank the evangelicals. I will never let you down."

On Sunday the Republican front-runner, who is a Presbyterian, attended a non-denominational church with his wife Melania in Council Bluffs, Iowa.
He took Communion but momentarily became confused and tried to put some money on one of the silver plates being passed around.
"I thought it was for offering," he explained and laughed.
The pastor told Mr Trump that "Jesus will guide your decisions". Mr Trump replied: "Thank you, I need that."

More at link

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Re: Donald Trump tries to put money on Communion plate
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 07:38:40 am »
Drew ‏@FigDrewton 4h4 hours ago

Communion Protocol is outlined in Three Corinthians 

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 12:02:21 pm »
Did he not see the little crackers on the plate? Or notice what the pastor had said just a minute earlier (about Jesus being with his disciples and saying, "This is my body, broken for you")?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 01:02:03 pm »
Remember folks. Tip your server ....
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Longiron

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 01:04:59 pm »
What a great reason not to vote for him.  :silly:

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 01:17:40 pm »
Actually, I think it's kind of funny.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2016, 01:24:37 pm »
Funny but sad, maybe.  :shrug:

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2016, 01:27:09 pm »

Combined with a million other reasons, yes it is!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2016, 01:36:44 pm »

The issue isn't whether Trump knows the slightest bit about Christianity,  but that evangelical Trump supporters are just as quick to put their faith and principles in a lockbox as any other kind.   They've heard the siren song -  they've seen how a "strong" President can abuse and misuse the Constitution for his own ends, and want one of "theirs" to do the same.   Two wrongs make a right,  they conclude, so long as the wrong is committed on their behalf, against the folks they dislike or fear.
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline aligncare

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2016, 01:55:35 pm »
The issue isn't whether Trump knows the slightest bit about Christianity,  but that evangelical Trump supporters are just as quick to put their faith and principles in a lockbox as any other kind.   They've heard the siren song -  they've seen how a "strong" President can abuse and misuse the Constitution for his own ends, and want one of "theirs" to do the same.   Two wrongs make a right,  they conclude, so long as the wrong is committed on their behalf, against the folks they dislike or fear.

Sharp comment. I think you're right.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2016, 01:58:31 pm »
This is one thing you can't buy, Donald........    **nononono*
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
Donald Trump Goes To Church And Beclowns Himself
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2016, 07:41:55 pm »
Donald Trump Goes To Church And Beclowns Himself

streiff
RedState
January 31, 2016

... Trump dragged his third trophy wife off to church to try to convince Evangelicals that he was actually one of them.

Trump attended services at the First Christian Orchard Campus, a nondenominational church in Council Bluffs.

He, his wife, Melania, and two staffers took communion when it was passed. But Trump, momentarily confused, mistook the silver plates circulated around the auditorium and dug several bills out of his pocket.

"I thought it was for offering," he said with a laugh to his staff.
Full article
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 08:31:54 pm by Machiavelli »

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2016, 07:49:10 pm »
Lighten up on Our DonaldTM. He was just trying to tip the priest. He shouldn't be expected to know how these things work. He just thought it was a waiter bringing him a half-time snack.

Wingnut

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2016, 07:59:20 pm »
Simple mistake....he thought the o-shibori plate was empty.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2016, 08:05:27 pm »
No problem. By comparison Cruz and his father, would issue and mail a report on everybody in your neighborhood, about their voting, their churchgoing habits etc.

He would attempt to "shame" you. I'll take the Donald's little miscue, over Cruz' worldview.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2016, 08:08:36 pm »
No problem. By comparison Cruz and his father, would issue and mail a report on everybody in your neighborhood, about their voting, their churchgoing habits etc.

He would attempt to "shame" you. I'll take the Donald's little miscue, over Cruz' worldview.
Really? Has Cruz done that? I'm surprised it hasn't been reported.  :whistle:

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2016, 08:52:24 pm »
Okay, you can be flummoxed by the communion plate or you can be flummoxed by war.
Ben Kesling   @bkesling
Donald Trump said as long as US troop vehicles are armored, when they get hit by IEDs troops just "go for a little ride."

Geoffrey Ingersoll ‏@GPIngersoll
@bkesling Where did he say this? Is there a link?

Paul Szoldra ‏@PaulSzoldra
@GPIngersoll @bkesling pretty sure he’s live tweeting a rally

Offline musiclady

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2016, 08:59:48 pm »
Okay, you can be flummoxed by the communion plate or you can be flummoxed by war.

Donald Trump said as long as US troop vehicles are armored, when they get hit by IEDs troops just "go for a little ride."

WHAT?????
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 09:01:12 pm by musiclady »
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Longiron

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2016, 09:01:44 pm »
Combined with a million other reasons, yes it is!

Lets here the reasons and tell us what you person will do differently? **nononono*

Offline flowers

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2016, 09:12:24 pm »

link?

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2016, 11:29:57 pm »
link?
The only link I had was the twitter feed from the guy, Ben Kesling, who reportedly was tweeting while in attendance at Trump's rally. Will see if there's other reporting of this comment.

Ben Kesling ‏@bkesling 55m55 minutes ago
The direct quote from Donald Trump earlier in Cedar Rapids is:  “They go for a little ride upward and then they come down.”

Here we go:  Foreign Policy
At an 11th-hour pre-caucus campaign event Monday in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, Republican frontrunner Donald Trump said that U.S. troops riding in armored vehicles “go for a little ride” when they hit roadside improvised explosive devices.

This latest attestation came during an event where the billionaire real-estate mogul sought to present himself as a benefactor of soldiers and veterans. Trump skipped last Thursday’s Republican debate, due to a feud with Fox New anchor Megyn Kelly, to host a benefit for war veterans.

Over the course of 12 years, the United States gave over 3,000 humvees to Iraqi forces. The Islamic State captured 2,300 in the battle for Mosul. In Cedar Rapids, Trump said troops in the sort of vehicles that were captured “go for a little ride upward, and they come down” after hitting IEDs. “Armor plated, top, bottom, all over, if a bomb goes off our wounded warriors — instead of losing their legs, their arms, worse, they’re okay,” he said.

Thousands of U.S. troops, many of them riding in armored vehicles, have been killed by IEDs in Iraq and Afghanistan. As of 2013, IEDs were the top killer of U.S. troops. The Pentagon has spent billions of dollars on technology to counter improvised explosives. Armor cannot always stop bombs, and militants adapt and improve their devices as the U.S. issues new protections. Even when the most advanced armor completely blocks heat and shrapnel, shock waves can still damage organs, including the brain, rending horrific injuries.

In 2006, ABC anchor Bob Woodruff suffered debilitating injuries when a bomb struck the Iraqi armored vehicle he was in. The blast left him with permanent brain damage, diverting his career and nearly ending his life.

A Defense Department spokesman was not immediately able to say how many U.S. service members have died in IED attacks against armored vehicles Afghanistan and Iraq. As of 2013, some 2,483 such deaths were IED-related.

Observers on Twitter were swift to lambaste Trump for his comments, although he is not alone among GOP candidates in making a series of bizarre defense-related remarks, seemingly in hopes of outdoing one another in cavalier bravado. Ted Cruz has issued calls to “carpet-bomb ISIS.” Ben Carson believes that destroying ISIS-occupied cities would be “merciful.” And earlier in the campaign, Trump said the U.S. should “take out” the families of Islamic militants — war crime or no. ...
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 11:37:52 pm by mountaineer »

Offline flowers

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2016, 12:03:31 am »
The only link I had was the twitter feed from the guy, Ben Kesling, who reportedly was tweeting while in attendance at Trump's rally. Will see if there's other reporting of this comment.

Ben Kesling ‏@bkesling 55m55 minutes ago
The direct quote from Donald Trump earlier in Cedar Rapids is:  “They go for a little ride upward and then they come down.”

Here we go:  Foreign Policy
thanks for link.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2016, 12:13:29 am »
My position is that I'd respect him more if he just admitted his lack of interest in Christianity. The pretense is almost painful to observe.
It’s Official: Donald Trump Knows Almost Nothing About Christianity
Amanda Prestigiacomo
February 1, 2016
Daily Wire

Donald Trump is many, many things. Christianity savant, he is not. On the heels of his “Two Corinthians” botch, The Donald confused the communion plate for the offertory during a church visit in Iowa on Sunday. Oops!

The Republican presidential frontrunner has been overtly stepping-up his Christian game in the attempt to win over “The Evangelicals” whom he loves so much. His short, bizarre ad via social media showing off a Bible which his mother gave him is evidence of this.

Back at again, this time with the churches in Iowa in his crosshairs, the real-estate mogul attended a service at a nondenominational church, First Christian Orchard Campus, in Council Bluffs. Here, Mr. Trump, joined by his wife and a couple staffers, "mistook the silver plates circulated around the auditorium and dug several bills out of his pocket," WHDH News reports.

"I thought it was for offering," Trump said to his staffer, reportedly giving off a laugh.

Unfortunately, this screw-up only piles-on to the previous religious faux pas made by Trump. He has referred to 2 Corinthians in the Bible as "Two Corinthians" and also told Frank Luntz in an interview that he "doesn’t think so" when asked if he has ever asked God for forgiveness. He did say that he eats his "little cracker" and drinks his wine as often as he can, though.

Despite all this, Trump, as per usual, has defied all logic and left many scratching their heads with key endorsements from strong Evangelical leaders, namely, Jerry Falwell Jr.

Later that same service in Iowa, Trump received a quick prayer from one of the pastors of the church.

"That Jesus would guide his decisions and that only Christ could guide his decisions," said the pastor with his hands on The Donald's shoulders.

"Thank you, I need that," replied the candidate. (Insert smart-remark here.)

HAPPY2BME

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2016, 12:41:33 am »
This is better than going to the movies.

edit/add: I'm waiting for someone to come up with a hidden cam of the don taking a crap.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 12:42:46 am by HAPPY2BME »

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2016, 12:46:30 am »
We're not interested in his bowel habits, thanks. I am interested in knowing whether or not he's a phony, however. It would appear he's providing enough evidence on that front.