Author Topic: Yes, It Was Fair for Ben Sasse to Question Donald Trump About His Many Affairs  (Read 3414 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/430387/ammon-bundy-ryan-bundy-past-time-protesters-leave

Yes, It Was Fair for Ben Sasse to Question Donald Trump About His Many Affairs
By David French — January 27, 2016

Earlier this week, Senator Ben Sasse launched a barrage of questioning tweets at Donald Trump. Most dealt with policy. Unsurprisingly, the tweet that got personal is getting most of the attention:

Ben Sasse

@BenSasse

.@realDonaldTrump
Q4: You brag abt many affairs w/ married women. Have you repented? To harmed children & spouses? Do you think it matters?
8:13 PM - 24 Jan 2016

Low blow? Only if you think voters shouldn’t consider character and personal integrity when evaluating a president. Here’s what Sasse is talking about:

Trump engaged in a highly publicized affair with actress Marla Maples while he was married to his first wife, Ivana Trump, and has written about having relationships with married women.

“If I told the real stories of my experiences with women, often seemingly very happily married and important women, this book would be a guaranteed best-seller,” Trump wrote in his book “The Art of the Comeback.”

Trump also wrote in “Think Big and Kick Ass” that he’s been with married women: “Beautiful, famous, successful, married — I’ve had them all, secretly, the world’s biggest names.”

I don’t think affairs — by themselves — disqualify a person from the presidency, but the combination of infidelity and boastfulness is particularly damaging. Indeed this kind of braggadocio is more reminiscent of professional wrestlers or third-world strongmen than an American president. I’m reminded (with apologies to Jonah for borrowing one of his favorite references) of the Congolese dictator Joseph Desiré-Mobutu, who changed his name to Mobutu Sese Seko Kuku Ngbendu wa za Banga, meaning “the all-powerful warrior who because of his endurance and inflexible will to win will go from conquest to conquest leaving fire in his wake.” Perhaps for Trump we could find the equivalent translation for “the all-dealmaking mogul who because of his wealth and will to win goes from conquest to conquest leaving divorce in his wake.”

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again. The GOP primary features alternatives (Ted Cruz and — yes — Marco Rubio, for example) who’ve won real victories over the political class, have consistently defended core conservative principles, and — so far as we know — been faithful to God and to their families. Regarding immigration, Trump is no more consistent in his views than Rubio and less consistent than Cruz.

Integrity matters. I agree with the Southern Baptist Convention’s 1998 “Resolution on Moral Character of Public Officials.”

We urge all Americans to embrace and act on the conviction that character does count in public office, and to elect those officials and candidates who, although imperfect, demonstrate consistent honesty, moral purity and the highest character.

We have a rare opportunity in the GOP primary to strike a blow against a failing political class and do it with candidates who’ve demonstrated the strength of their Christian convictions. We just can’t do that with Donald Trump.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Frank Cannon

Start stacking all these small issues with Trump up and you really start getting a big pile. Pile of what you ask? I'll leave that to others to say.

Offline musiclady

I dunno........... to me bragging about committing adultery is a deal breaker.  Not to mention bragging about womanizing, which, in most cases is rooted in misogyny.  Women are to be used, not respected.

This is a big deal to anyone who values trustworthiness, honor, commitment, keeping your word........ any number of personal issues that could affect ones attitudes and behavior in office.

Ben Sass was definitely right to bring it up.

(Not that it will move the immutable, unthinking supporters of the Donald.  After all, he could shoot someone and they'd still support him.  He said it himself...... )
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online mountaineer

Does he have to repent if he's eaten that little cracker?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline musiclady

Does he have to repent if he's eaten that little cracker?

No.  He never needs to repent because he never does anything bad.

He said so himself.

So forget about the sip of wine and little cracker.  He's good to go........... 

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Jerry Falwell Jr. gave Trump an endorsement, so he has to be good, right? Right???
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline aligncare

Yes, character matters. In fact, each candidate should be required to take a lie detector test, to make sure they are of the upmost highest character, to uncover any hidden secrets. See if they have ever had affairs that have not come to light. You know, kind of deep, personal secrets hidden away back in their past.

You know, Donald Trump's father sat him down one day and tried to explain to young Donnie what it means to be of good character. By a strange coincidence, I happen to know what he told Donald Trump that day.

Donald Trump's father, Fred, that was his name, Fred. Fred said to young Donnie, never trust a man who can't look you in the eye, never talk when you can listen, and never spend venture capital on a limited partnership without a detailed analytical fiduciary prospectus...

Offline musiclady

Jerry Falwell Jr. gave Trump an endorsement, so he has to be good, right? Right???

Methinks young Jerry didn't do his homework before he came out with that endorsement....

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
I'm sure he's paid the proper indulgences. Heck, he gave Jerry Fallwell Jr. his 30 pieces of silver. Leave Our DonaldTM alone. If he had an affair, it wasn't really a sin, it was just business. More like making a deal. A yuge deal.

Offline musiclady

I'm sure he's paid the proper indulgences. Heck, he gave Jerry Fallwell Jr. his 30 pieces of silver. Leave Our DonaldTM alone. If he had an affair, it wasn't really a sin, it was just business. More like making a deal. A yuge deal.

Yes.  Betrayal of the closest relationship one can have on earth, and harming the children of two different families is just business for the Donald.

But remember, he can be trusted as President, yes he can.........   **nononono*

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
"  “If I told the real stories of my experiences with women, often seemingly very happily married and important women, this book would be a guaranteed best-seller,” Trump wrote in his book “The Art of the Comeback.”

Trump also wrote in “Think Big and Kick Ass” that he’s been with married women: “Beautiful, famous, successful, married — I’ve had them all, secretly, the world’s biggest names.”

=============================================================

How old is this guy,12?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Yes, It Was Fair for Ben Sasse to Question Donald Trump About His Many Affairs 

The truth is everyone has known this for years.  His kids have turned out great, they're one big family, and they love and respect their dad.

No one cares.

HAPPY2BME

"  “If I told the real stories of my experiences with women, often seemingly very happily married and important women, this book would be a guaranteed best-seller,” Trump wrote in his book “The Art of the Comeback.”

=============================================================

How old is this guy,12?

=================================

This guy is 51.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
=================================

This guy is 51.

Trump is a physically older than 51,or he wouldn't have been a VN draft dodger. He does seem to be about 12 emotionally,though.

"WOW!" Look at me,I banged a bunch of women,and here I am just a mere billionaire!"

We all know how women hate and are repelled by money and influence,right?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 01:27:36 am by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

HAPPY2BME

We have a rare opportunity in the GOP primary to strike a blow against a failing political class and do it with candidates who’ve demonstrated the strength of their Christian convictions. We just can’t do that with Donald Trump.

==============================

Opportunity?  Rare?  Demonstrated 'Christian Values?'

Where, oh where were these good 'Christians' when THIS happened?

It happened in our 'good Christian leader' Mitch McConnell's home state.

One of thousands of examples ..

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Well, snap!  For some reason I thought he was considerably older.

HAPPY2BME

Well, snap!  For some reason I thought he was considerably older.

================================

Your joy.  Click on the '51.'

Offline libertybele

That endorsement was a surprise ... I would hate to think that Falwell was bought ... but that's the only thing that I can think of with Falwell...nothing else makes much sense.  It's not like Trump is very spiritual; his personal attacks upon others would say otherwise.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

Trump is a 69 year old womanizer with mommy issues.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Trump is a physically older than 51,or he wouldn't have been a VN draft dodger. He does seem to be about 12 emotionally,though.

"WOW!" Look at me,I banged a bunch of women,and here I am just a mere billionaire!"

We all know how women hate and are repelled by money and influence,right?

He is 69. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Trump

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
That endorsement was a surprise ... I would hate to think that Falwell was bought ... but that's the only thing that I can think of with Falwell...nothing else makes much sense.  It's not like Trump is very spiritual; his personal attacks upon others would say otherwise.
Perhaps. I wrote on another thread re: Falwell about how sons of religious leaders often stray quite far from their parents' teachings. Now, that's not always true: Franklin Graham, for instance, has done a good job keeping his father Billy's organization on track. But it does happen quite often. Satan attacks families of preachers with great fervor, all to compromise the Word.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline musiclady

I'm not sure that I can judge just by seeing one interview, but I got the impression that Jerry Jr. isn't all that bright.  (And that was well before his endorsement, so it doesn't factor in).

No matter what, Jerry clearly lowered his moral standards to do the endorsement, or failed to do his homework, and made a very stupid endorsement of a man that he shouldn't endorse EVER.

Offline musiclady

Perhaps. I wrote on another thread re: Falwell about how sons of religious leaders often stray quite far from their parents' teachings. Now, that's not always true: Franklin Graham, for instance, has done a good job keeping his father Billy's organization on track. But it does happen quite often. Satan attacks families of preachers with great fervor, all to compromise the Word.

That may be a good analysis, j myrle.  It may be a spiritual issue with Jerry Jr.  He may not believe in the same morality as his father did.

Offline aligncare

No man is perfect. But Trump goes so far beyond the boundaries of what is acceptable with his demeaning behavior towards women and a host of other groups. He crosses the proverbial line in the sand. He cannot become our next President.  Aligncare, you find nothing repugnant about Trump boasting about having affairs with married women in a book!

It's not something I would do.

Trump's moved on in his life. I'm not the same person now in my 60s I was in my 20s.

Tells us where we are in evolving social mores, that after his scandals president Bill Clinton's support and popularity continued, even increasing in opinion polls and in media and in democrat circles.  :shrug:
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 05:02:54 am by aligncare »

Offline NavyCanDo

I had no idea that he bragged about multiple affairs with married women in his book. It matters to me. This is different then having an affair and then being remorseful. He boasts about it.  What is going on with conservatives?? How can one ignore this total lack of character. Or just dismiss it by giving examples of how badly others have behaved. This is not acceptable for a candidate for the Office of the Presidency, no matter how great his children came out, no matter the infidelity of others, our President cannot be boasting in a book about having affairs with married women. That I have to even argue that here is unreal.

I was troubled with the idea I would have to back this guy if he won the GOP nomination.  After this latest revelation for me, there is no way I could vote for a man boasting of having affairs with married women. Absolutely not. No way.

What is going on with "conservatives" you ask......well the ones enamored with Trump anyway. They have become Alinskyites - "the ends justify the means".  The ends being the forced removal of 12 million illegals and the building of a "great great wall" that Mexico will pay for. [yea right] Then there is the utter destruction of the Republican Party, which they and he detest.    The means, they don't care about one iota. They have publicly said here, they don't care what he says or does. 
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn