Author Topic: Cruz challenges Trump to one-on-one debate  (Read 2354 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Cruz challenges Trump to one-on-one debate
« on: January 27, 2016, 02:45:39 am »
http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/gop-primaries/267125-cruz-challenges-trump-to-one-on-one-debate

January 26, 2016, 08:18 pm
Cruz challenges Trump to one-on-one debate

By Harper Neidig

Republican presidential candidate Ted Cruz says if rival Donald Trump won’t face the entire GOP field in Thursday’s Fox News debate, then he wants to go one-on-one.

“If Donald is afraid of Megyn Kelly, I would like to invite him on your show to participate in a one-on-one debate between me and Donald, mano y mano,” Cruz said during an interview on “The Mark Levin Show,” adding that Trump could choose the moderator.

"And the fact that Donald is now afraid to appear on the debate stage, that he doesn’t want his record questioned, I think that reflects a lack of respect for the men and women of Iowa, that he’s unwilling to go to Des Moines and be questioned."

Cruz also argued that Trump dropping out of the debate shows that the front-runner isn't qualified to be president.

“This is a job interview, you need to be willing to answer the questions of the American people, and if Donald is afraid to defend his record, that speaks volumes,” he said.

“And if he thinks Megyn Kelly is so scary, what exactly does he think he’d do with Vladimir Putin? I promise you Putin is a lot scarier than Megyn Kelly."

Cruz added that Trump needs to explain to voters “how he is prepared to be commander-in-chief if he’s terrified of a television host.”

The comments came shortly after the Trump campaign announced Tuesday that he would not participate in the Fox News debate on Thursday.

In a press conference on Tuesday, Trump referred to Kelly as "lightweight" and said that she's "not a reporter."

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Vulcan

Re: Cruz challenges Trump to one-on-one debate
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 03:08:22 am »
A debate between the two wouldn't end well for liberal Donald Trump.

HAPPY2BME

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 03:09:28 am »
“The Mark Levin Show,” adding that Trump could choose the moderator.

========================

Does Cruz have family affiliations with Mark Levin?

It doesn't matter.

This is a good offer, and one I don't see how Trump can turn down, and especially given the offer for Trump to pick his own moderator.

HAPPY2BME

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 03:10:59 am »
A debate between the two wouldn't end well for liberal Donald Trump.

=================================

I HOPE Trump takes Cruz up on this.

It will prove many things, one of them being that NOBODY needs Fox News Network to be able to decide how to vote.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 03:11:43 am by HAPPY2BME »

Offline Carling

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 03:11:02 am »
Ted Cruz' team just put up this website!!   :silly:

https://www.tedcruz.org/l/ducking-donald/

If Donald Trump is afraid of Megyn Kelly, then Ted Cruz is willing to debate "Ducking Donald" one-on-one. Ted Cruz is willing to stand up defend his record, anytime, any place. Why isn't Ducking Donald?
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline Carling

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 03:11:46 am »
=================================

I have Trump takes Cruz up on this.

It will prove many things, one of them being that NOBODY needs Fox News Network to be able to decide how to vote.

Cruz just destroyed Trump on Hannity.  I love it!!

HAPPY2BME

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2016, 03:26:46 am »
Cruz just destroyed Trump on Hannity.  I love it!!

==========================

After the 2012 Romney/Obama freak circus, I no longer watch Hannity or Fox News.

Many other don't watch Fox news anymore either.  But you had better pray to god that Cruz didn't just destroy him just in front of Fox News viewers and expect THAT to win him the election.

Offline Carling

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2016, 03:28:29 am »
==========================

After the 2012 Romney/Obama freak circus, I no longer watch Hannity or Fox News.

Many other don't watch Fox news anymore either.  But you had better pray to god that Cruz didn't just destroy him just in front of Fox News viewers and expect THAT to win him the election.

Cruz just showed his message on Trump that he'll use Thursday, even if Donald shows up at the last minute.

I find it a winning narrative, and Trump won't be there to defend himself with Cruz being the clear Big Dog on that stage w/out Donald.

What a fun primary season!

HAPPY2BME

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2016, 03:32:39 am »
I find it a winning narrative, and Trump won't be there to defend himself with Cruz being the clear Big Dog on that stage w/out Donald.

====================================

Do you realize what you just said?

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2016, 03:37:10 am »
I didn't catch all of Cruz's segment with Hannity.  But from the parts I saw, Cruz was "spinning" the narrative like any politician would.  (Not being critical of Cruz, it is what all politicians and/or their surrogates do!)

Having said that, he completely mischaracterized the situation, Trump is not "afraid" of being on the same stage that he's occupied for the past 7 debates. 

I believe that Trump is making two points here:
1.  There is a case to be made that Ms. Kelly is a more biased moderator than National Review (which the RNC has had removed), I presented it here.
2.  As others have suggested, he is making a statement (of which we have yet to see be completed) on the role of the media in the 2016 process.

As I said, I don't fault Mr. Cruz for spinning it as such, but any honest observer understands that "fear" has nothing to do with Trump's decision.

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2016, 03:40:36 am »
Cruz is going for the last refuge of the candidate losing momentum and the polls.

Maybe Beck gave him this advice.   :pondering:

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2016, 03:44:37 am »
Trump: Senator, we don't even know if you eligible. No President has been born outside the US.

You should get that cleared up. For now I intend to raise money for wounded warriors and vets.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

HAPPY2BME

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2016, 03:47:30 am »
I didn't catch all of Cruz's segment with Hannity.  But from the parts I saw, Cruz was "spinning" the narrative like any politician would.  (Not being critical of Cruz, it is what all politicians and/or their surrogates do!)

===============================

OK.  Let's recap.

#1 - Donald Trump just told Megyn Kelly and Rupert Murdoch they (incredibly) will have no further bearing on how he conducts (the remainder) of his campaign. 

#2 - Ted Cruz come on FOX NEWS (you know, owned by Rupert Murdoch) Hannity show (you know, the one who gets paid from Rupert Murdoch) and gets instant gratification that Donald Trump will NOT be participating in the FOX NEWS debate MODERATED by none other than Megyn Kelly (owned and operated by Rupert Murdoch).

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2016, 03:49:06 am »
Trump: Senator, we don't even know if you are eligible. No President has been born outside the US.

You should get that cleared up. For now I intend to raise money for wounded warriors and vets.

:thumbsup3:

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2016, 03:51:28 am »

#2 - Ted Cruz comes on FOX NEWS (you know, owned by Rupert Murdoch) Hannity show (you know, the one who gets paid from Rupert Murdoch) and gets instant gratification that Donald Trump will NOT be participating in the FOX NEWS debate MODERATED by none other than Megyn Kelly (owned and operated by Rupert Murdoch).

Methinks Cruz is going to miss Mr. Trump when Rubio and Paul go at him without interruption.   :smokin:

HAPPY2BME

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2016, 03:59:05 am »
Methinks Cruz is going to miss Mr. Trump when Rubio and Paul go at him without interruption.   :smokin:

============================

One thing is for certain.  Megyn Kelly will have to COMPLETELY REDO all her questions.

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2016, 03:59:51 am »

OK.  Let's recap.

#1 - Donald Trump just told Megyn Kelly and Rupert Murdoch they (incredibly) will have no further bearing on how he conducts (the remainder) of his campaign. 

#2 - Ted Cruz come on FOX NEWS (you know, owned by Rupert Murdoch) Hannity show (you know, the one who gets paid from Rupert Murdoch) and gets instant gratification that Donald Trump will NOT be participating in the FOX NEWS debate MODERATED by none other than Megyn Kelly (owned and operated by Rupert Murdoch).

I hear you loud and clear, Hap.

Truth be told, we rarely ever have FNC on.  I set the DVR for the Kelly File since the 8/6 debate so that I could keep a check on her "performance" as I had a fairly good suspicion that what played out today would come to pass.  I wanted to know what the reality of the situation has been, so I keep track of it myself.  (I actually thought that it would last for a few shows, I have been amazed at how long it has carried on!)  Tonight we tuned in live in anticipation of the fireworks!

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2016, 04:00:28 am »
============================

One thing is for certain.  Megyn Kelly will have to COMPLETELY REDO all her questions.

So true.   88devil

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2016, 04:03:50 am »
I hear you loud and clear, Hap.

Truth be told, we rarely ever have FNC on.  I set the DVR for the Kelly File since the 8/6 debate so that I could keep a check on her "performance" as I had a fairly good suspicion that what played out today would come to pass.  I wanted to know what the reality of the situation has been, so I keep track of it myself.  (I actually thought that it would last for a few shows, I have been amazed at how long it has carried on!)  Tonight we tuned in live in anticipation of the fireworks!

So if the Donald has known who would be moderating this debate since way back in August why did he wait until now to pullout?
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2016, 04:08:24 am »
So if the Donald has known who would be moderating this debate since way back in August why did he wait until now to pullout?

He's been hinting at it and talking about for some time, on and off.  Why did he wait until now?  Because it has the greatest impact!

ETA:

And because someone in FNC blundered out with this today:

We learned from a secret back channel that the Ayatollah and Putin both intend to treat Donald Trump unfairly when they meet with him if he becomes president — a nefarious source tells us that Trump has his own secret plan to replace the Cabinet with his Twitter followers to see if he should even go to those meetings.

http://www.mediaite.com/online/fox-news-responds-to-trumps-latest-twitter-poll-with-first-rate-trolling/

They put it up on the tee for him!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 04:17:26 am by katzenjammer »

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2016, 04:34:08 am »
This could backfire on Trump.  Take what Cruz said about Trump being afraid and times it by 8 as each candidate goes after him with no equal time.  That's why I think he will "change his mind" and participate. 

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2016, 04:40:28 am »
This could backfire on Trump.  Take what Cruz said about Trump being afraid and times it by 8 as each candidate goes after him with no equal time.  That's why I think he will "change his mind" and participate.

You could be correct, Vic.  We've been knocking this back and forth here at home for the past couple of days, trying to anticipate if he would boycott or participate.  The one thing that we've agreed upon earlier this evening, is that Trump is not walking out of this blindly.  He and his close advisers have game planned all of the scenarios out, including Cruz (and possibly others) requesting a one-on-one debate.  All avenues and contingencies have been up on a white board somewhere for days.

Having said that, there are no guarantees....  something about the best laid plans of mice and men often go somewhere....

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2016, 05:02:05 am »
Trump will never debate Cruz one on one.

It's not a matter of cowardice, but sanity. Trump is a TERRIBLE debater. Every debate so far, as soon as actual policy came up, he basically disappeared from the stage for 30 minutes at a time. He can't do that in a one on one.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline aligncare

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2016, 05:16:32 am »
Trump will never debate Cruz one on one.

It's not a matter of cowardice, but sanity. Trump is a TERRIBLE debater. Every debate so far, as soon as actual policy came up, he basically disappeared from the stage for 30 minutes at a time. He can't do that in a one on one.

Agreed, not his strength. That part happens in negotiations, which now that I think of it, is the biggest part of day to day presidential duties. Except to manage the occasional world crisis, I expect. Maybe greet a space alien landing on the north lawn. Stuff like that.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2016, 06:23:16 am »
Agreed, not his strength. That part happens in negotiations, which now that I think of it, is the biggest part of day to day presidential duties. Except to manage the occasional world crisis, I expect. Maybe greet a space alien landing on the north lawn. Stuff like that.

So true - rarely does a sitting president have to "debate".  Like you said, it's deals and strategies and that's what he's good at. 

He has nothing to win by going against Cruz in a debate.  Cruz is starting to remind me of my cousin - he's a lawyer with all this book edjumacation  and very little people skills.

So, Cruz has memorized the Constitution.  Does anyone seriously think Trump isn't going to avail himself to the best legal and constitutional advisers you can get?  Being a CEO means you surround yourself with the best people and not try to micromanage everything. 

Don't take the challenge Donald - you're already in the lead.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!