Author Topic: Rising star Nikki Haley says she is open to becoming GOP running mate  (Read 7177 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
https://www.yahoo.com/politics/rising-star-nikki-haley-says-she-is-open-to-160906818.html

Rising star Nikki Haley says she is open to becoming GOP running mate
Michael Walsh
Reporter
January 13, 2016

South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley says she would consider being the vice presidential candidate for the Republican Party this year.

The rising political star revealed that she is open to the possibility in an appearance on NBC News’ “Today” show Wednesday, a day after delivering the GOP response to President Obama’s final State of the Union address.

“If a candidate wanted to sit down and talk, I would sit down and talk,” she told host Matt Lauer. “I think that’s a big decision. It’s a family decision. It’s a state decision. It’s something I’d have to think about. But I absolutely would sit down and talk with anyone that wanted to talk about it.”

Despite speculation that Haley is being prepped to join the Republican ticket, she said that she has not given the prospect much thought even if people in the media do not believe it.

It’s worth noting that her speech the night before did not merely target the Obama administration. She warned against the siren call of the country’s angriest voices and said Republicans share the blame for our current state of affairs and should look in the mirror.

"I was given an opportunity to say what I think, and I appreciate that from Speaker [Paul D.] Ryan and Senator [Mitch] McConnell,” she said.

It’s likely that the Republican establishment tapped Haley to deliver the SOTU response not simply to criticize Democrats — but to distance the GOP from its current frontrunner, Donald Trump, whose dominance in the polls continues unabated.

Last June, in the wake of a domestic terrorist attack, Haley rose to national prominence by calling for the Confederate flag’s removal from South Carolina’s state capitol. Her critiques of the nativist rhetoric that’s galvanized segments of the Republican base further cemented her image as a tolerant and inclusive alternative.

Republican presidential candidate and former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush praised Haley’s speech as providing a clear vision for a better tomorrow.

“Proud of my friend @nikkihaley for delivering a positive & uplifting response to Pres. Obama’s #SOTU. Clear vision for a brighter future,” he tweeted.

Similarly, House Speaker Paul D. Ryan said Haley stood in stark contrast to the president, whom he accused of not confronting the reality of his failing policies. The young governor, he said, is one of the most “effective leaders in our party.”

“She has turned conservative principles into real solutions in South Carolina,” he said in a statement late Tuesday. “The vision she outlined for our country was inclusive and optimistic, and perhaps most important, it was grounded in reality. This is someone who’s done the tough work of governing. I think that showed in her remarks, and I commend her on a job well done.”

But not all conservatives shared this enthusiasm, particularly those who capitalize on the same sense of disenfranchisement as Trump. They were disappointed the response was not a full-blown partisan attack.

Laura Ingraham, a conservative political commentator, described Haley as an “establishment fave” who should have teamed up with Obama for a joint-rebuttal of Trump and Texas Sen. Ted Cruz. She said Haley missed her opportunity to stand with the working people who want borders enforced and government shrunk.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mountaineer

Re: Rising star Nikki Haley says she is open to becoming GOP running mate
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 06:55:52 pm »
Gee, I wonder which presidential nominee Gov. Haley would like to run with as the VP candidate.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Longiron

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 07:47:11 pm »
HILLARY and the Party of ONE! :2gunz:

Offline Carling

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 07:50:49 pm »
That GOP response by Haley was an absolute disaster for the GOPe.

The funny thing is they think that because all of the DC establishment is applauding it that it means the desertion of GOP voters from the GOPe candidates is over.

I was embarrassed for my party watching that kiss on the lips to the Democrats and Obama.  She was tougher on Trump than she was Hillary or the Dems.
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline Longiron

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 07:53:59 pm »
The Party of Stupid and you cannot fix stupid!

http://www.steynonline.com/7418/the-stupid-party-gets-stupider

Offline Carling

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 08:47:20 pm »

http://www.steynonline.com/7418/the-stupid-party-gets-stupider

The party leaders are stupid, but its voters are waking up in large numbers and are sick of the lies.  At this point, is there any question that the GOPe and their donors ever wanted to truly defeat the Democrats and their policies?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 08:48:10 pm by Carling »
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2016, 08:48:41 pm »

It's spelled 'stoopid'... the difference is subtle... but important...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline aligncare

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2016, 08:53:23 pm »
It's spelled 'stoopid'... the difference is subtle... but important...

:laugh:

I think I'm finally getting the distinction.

Offline Relic

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2016, 08:58:10 pm »
:laugh:

I think I'm finally getting the distinction.

Yep, stooped politicians end up wealthy.
Stupid politicians end up in jail, or doing commentary on cable tv.
There are very few stupid politicians.

HonestJohn

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2016, 10:22:36 pm »
A governor from the state of South Carolina isn't going to bring much to the election, considering that South Carolina will most likely vote Republican no matter what.

A VP candidate should really come from the swing state (Florida and Ohio come to mind).

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2016, 10:38:13 pm »
Yep, stooped politicians end up wealthy.
Stupid politicians end up in jail, or doing commentary on cable tv.
There are very few stupid politicians.

Winner! Winner! Chicken Dinner!

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2016, 10:43:54 pm »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikki_Haley

Haley was born Nimrata Nikki Randhawa[1][2] in Bamberg, South Carolina, on January 20, 1972, to an Indian Sikh family.[12] Her parents, Ajit Singh Randhawa and Raj Kaur Randhawa, are immigrants from Amritsar District, Punjab, India, where Ajit had been a professor at Punjab Agricultural University. Haley's parents emigrated to Canada after her father received a scholarship offer from the University of British Columbia. After earning his PhD in 1969, Ajit moved his young family to South Carolina to accept a position as a professor at Voorhees College

Although Wikipedia does not state when her parents became US citizens, from this paragraph it does not appear she qualifies to be president so she may need to go back and review the constitution before she makes herself look foolish.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2016, 11:33:02 pm »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikki_Haley

Although Wikipedia does not state when her parents became US citizens, from this paragraph it does not appear she qualifies to be president so she may need to go back and review the constitution before she makes herself look foolish.
According to many interpretations, all that is required is to be born in the US, regardless of parents' citizenship. Think Obama.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2016, 04:56:36 am »
Nikki,

The beauty of the English language is that 'fat chance' and 'slim chance' mean the same thing [NO chance].
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2016, 01:58:18 pm »
The party leaders are stupid, but its voters are waking up in large numbers and are sick of the lies.  At this point, is there any question that the GOPe and their donors ever wanted to truly defeat the Democrats and their policies?

Trump is a cure that's worse than the disease. 
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Longiron

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2016, 03:53:26 pm »

Tell all what the CURE is and how your candidate will do it? Of course you have not made up your mind yet who to support? :nothappen:

Offline libertybele

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2016, 04:03:00 pm »
Nikki Haley a 'rising star'?  Who writes this crappola?
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2016, 04:25:23 pm »

So, now your a doctor?  :dx1:

Offline flowers

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2016, 07:15:28 pm »
She is truly a GOPe.....when she came out and banned the Dixie flag from the state capitol showed me her true colors.  :chairbang:

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2016, 07:24:11 pm »
She is truly a GOPe.....when she came out and banned the Dixie flag from the state capitol showed me her true colors.  :chairbang:

Good lord .  .  . are we still fighting the Civil War?   Is belief in the Lost Cause now a prerequisite for "true conservatism"?   Gov. Haley IS governor of ALL of South Carolina - not just the unreconstructed white folks. 

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2016, 07:26:05 pm »

She's been awful from the start.  Just another one of the MANY politicians that were happy to glom onto the "Tea Party" banner to gain office.

Offline flowers

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2016, 07:28:41 pm »
Good lord .  .  . are we still fighting the Civil War?   Is belief in the Lost Cause now a prerequisite for "true conservatism"?   Gov. Haley IS governor of ALL of South Carolina - not just the unreconstructed white folks.
So you are OK with them removing that flag?

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2016, 07:30:32 pm »
Is historic revisionism a conservative virtue?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2016, 07:30:45 pm »

So attempting to erase our history is OK with you?
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2016, 07:35:04 pm »
So you are OK with them removing that flag?

I'm a yankee, it's not up to me.  Whatever the folks in S.C. decide. 

But I object to the implication that, unless one is in favor of the South Carolina government waving that rag in front of its citizens that sincerely consider it racist, one's not a true conservative.