Author Topic: Obama claims ‘legal authority’ for exec action on guns, despite Hill backlash  (Read 4856 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/01/04/obama-claims-legal-authority-for-exec-action-on-guns-despite-hill-backlash.html?intcmp=hpbt1

Obama claims ‘legal authority’ for exec action on guns, despite Hill backlash
Published January 04, 2016 FoxNews.com

President Obama vowed Monday to press ahead with new executive actions on gun control after meeting with top law enforcement officials, claiming he has the “legal authority” to act – and defying congressional critics who say he’s pursuing a “dangerous” overreach.

The president, without giving any specifics, said he’ll be “rolling out these initiatives” over the next several days. He spoke after meeting with Attorney General Loretta Lynch, FBI Director James Comey and other top officials to review their proposals and finalize his plans.

Obama said their recommendations are “well within my legal authority” and would be supported by “the overwhelming majority of the American people including gun owners.” 

“The recommendations that are being made by my team here are ones that are entirely consistent with the Second Amendment,” Obama said, claiming they could “potentially save lives.”

The White House said that Obama will deliver remarks from the East Room at 11:40 a.m. Tuesday announcing a series of executive actions on gun control.

The revived push to tighten America’s gun laws via executive action, however, has resulted in a backlash on Capitol Hill and the campaign trail. 

Republicans made clear they would fight the administration and accused the president of overstepping.

"While we don’t yet know the details of the plan, the president is at minimum subverting the legislative branch, and potentially overturning its will,” House Speaker Paul Ryan, R-Wis., said in a statement. “This is a dangerous level of executive overreach, and the country will not stand for it.”

Rep. John Culberson, R-Texas, who chairs a key appropriations panel, warned Lynch on Monday that he would “use every tool at my disposal to immediately restrict” DOJ funding if the department proceeds with “new restrictions on our Constitutional rights.”

Republican presidential front-runner Donald Trump vowed to reverse any such actions if he’s elected.

"We're not changing the Second Amendment," Trump said Saturday at a campaign rally in Biloxi, Miss. "I will veto that. I will un-sign that so fast."

While Obama did not detail the proposals, a priority is an effort to expand background checks on gun sales by forcing more sellers to register as federally licensed gun dealers. The changes would be aimed at some unregistered sellers who skirt the background check laws by selling at gun shows, online or informal settings. Other moves being considered include improving reporting of lost and stolen weapons and beefing up inspections of licensed dealers, according to a person familiar with the plans.

The package includes measures this White House has long considered but not completed, mindful of the legal fight sure to follow as well as the potential for political backlash for some fellow Democrats.

While Obama took heat from Republicans, supporters of stronger action on gun control applauded the president’s new push.

"We definitely think there are things he can do," said Dan Gross, president of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, which advocates for expanding background checks. Gross says his recent conversations with White House aides have left him hopeful.

"It's very clear that the White House is feeling emboldened," he said.

Obama announced the meeting with Lynch in his weekly address from his Hawaii holiday vacation. On Thursday, he'll take his argument to prime time, participating in a town hall discussion of gun violence on CNN. He's slated to make his case for changes in his State of the Union address on Jan. 12.

The high-profile rollout reflects a White House continuing to look for ways to wrap up unfinished business, despite an uncooperative Congress.

After all but ignoring the issue in his first term, Obama changed course after the mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary in December 2012. Nevertheless, the president failed to push a package of gun measures through Congress, including one expanding background checks.

At the same time, Obama took nearly two dozen executive actions to tighten gun laws, but left a major expansion of background checks out of the mix.

But after the shooting at a community college in Roseburg, Oregon in October, Obama ordered his staff to redouble the effort to look for ways to work around Congress.

Under current law, federally licensed firearms dealers are required to seek background checks on potential firearm purchasers. But advocacy groups say many sellers are currently exempt from having to register, increasing the chance of sales to customers prohibited by law from purchasing a gun.

The administration is expected to reclassify some of those dealers using a mix of criteria, such as the number and frequency of guns sold, whether sellers profit off sales, whether they advertise, rent space or tables at gun shows and pay taxes.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online libertybele

..."Obama said their recommendations are “well within my legal authority” and would be supported by “the overwhelming majority of the American people including gun owners.” ...

Really?  I highly doubt that the majority of gun owners are going to approve of anything Hussein does with the 2nd Amendment. I think we all knew this day was coming and I don't see this ending well at all.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline musiclady

In case anybody missed this obvious fact.......... Obama lies about everything.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...

And he claims everything is within his "legal authority". If Obama decided to dissolve Congress and cancel elections, the first thing he would do is claim that it is his authority to do so.

The point is that Obama claiming 'legal authority' is laughable. He says that about every illegal act he does.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online mountaineer

Yes, it's called al-Taqiyya.    **nononono*
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

And actually believes there ARE no limits on his power! The current feckless Republican leadership has proven him correct up to this point!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/264728-obama-action-on-guns-coming-tuesday

Obama action on guns coming Tuesday

By Jordan Fabian - 01/04/16 06:50 PM EST
President Obama will announce his plans to sidestep Congress and take unilateral action gun control on Tuesday, a move that will spark a major election-year fight with Republicans.

The president will issue a long-anticipated policy that expands the definition of a licensed gun dealer to those who sell firearms at gun shows and online, the White House announced Monday.

Many sellers in those areas are unlicensed, which gun-control advocates say allows them to skirt federal background check requirements.

The policy does not set a specific number of gun sales that would force a seller to register with the federal government. Instead, the government would consider a number of factors, including whether the seller represents itself as an official dealer and the frequency of sales.

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) will issue new guidance to sellers on who must register as a licensed dealer, an effort to narrow the so-called "gun show loophole."

“It’s not where you are doing it, but what you are doing, that determines whether you are in the business of selling firearms,” Attorney General Loretta Lynch told reporters on a conference call.

The new rules will close a legal loophole that allows firearm buyers to skirt background checks by applying to purchase them through trusts and corporations.

Obama will announce the new rules mandating that sellers shipping guns are responsible for reporting weapon that are lost or stolen in transit.

The measures amount to Obama’s biggest push on gun control since a sweeping legislative effort following the 2012 Sandy Hook mass shooting failed in Congress.

Since then, the president has struggled to grapple with a spate of mass shootings — including a massacre at an Oregon community college in October that spurred him to consider new executive actions to keep guns out of the hands of criminals, mentally ill individuals and others.

But it’s unclear how effective the measures will be in curbing gun violence. Critics have pointed out that the background check proposals would not have blocked sales of firearms used at Sandy Hook and in the terrorist attack in San Bernardino, Calif., which were purchased legally at gun stores.

Obama plans an aggressive roll out to defend his policies and respond blistering criticism from Republicans. It starts with a statement in the East Room on Tuesday morning.

The president will participate in a CNN town hall discussion on gun violence that will air Thursday night in prime time.

The president offered the public a glimpse of his arguments on Monday, pledging the measures are within his legal authority and are backed by “the overwhelming majority of the American people, including gun owners.”

“This is not going to solve every violent crime in this country, it’s not going to prevent every mass shooting, it’s not going to keep every gun out of the hands of a criminal,” Obama said after meeting with Lynch and other top law enforcement officials.

But he added they “will potentially save lives and spare families the pain and the extraordinary loss that they’ve suffered as a consequence of a firearm getting in the hands of the wrong people.”

Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) blasted Obama’s plans as "a dangerous level of executive overreach" and accused him of defying the will of Congress.

Rep. John Culberson (R-Texas), a member of the Appropriations Committee, threatened to cut off funding for the Department of Justice to implement the actions.

After Sandy Hook, Obama issued 23 executive actions designed to curb gun violence, including enhanced information sharing for background checks and requiring private health insurers to cover mental health services.

But even after legislation failed, the background check measure was not adopted reportedly because of internal disagreements of whether it is legally defensible in court.

“We’re very comfortable that the president can legally take these actions now,” Lynch said.

The White House announced several additional steps, including efforts to speed up processing background checks to 24 hours per day, 7 days a week. The Federal Bureau of Investigation plans to hire more than 230 additional examiners and other staff to process the checks.

The Department of Health and Human Services is finalizing a rule that makes it easier for states to share background check information about people blocked from possessing a firearm for mental health reasons.

To enforce the new rules, the White House is asking Congress for funding to hire 200 new ATF agents and investigators and $500 million in funding to address mental health issues.
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline aligncare

Making it more difficult for law abiding citizens to acquire guns at a time when the home land is potentially facing a wave of threats to soft targets is as bad as it gets. Obama's rigid ideology makes this the height of presidential irresponsibility. He should be helping, not hurting efforts to protect ourselves and others around us in public.

Obama should be heeding the lesson of Switzerland, as Europe sees growing threats from gangs of young Islamic militants and violent jihadists.

Online libertybele

Making it more difficult for law abiding citizens to acquire guns at a time when the home land is potentially facing a wave of threats to soft targets is as bad as it gets. Obama's rigid ideology makes this the height of presidential irresponsibility. He should be helping, not hurting efforts to protect ourselves and others around us in public.

Obama should be heeding the lesson of Switzerland, as Europe sees growing threats from gangs of young Islamic militants and violent jihadists.

All true.  However the fact remains that Hussein's intent is to bring this country to its knees.  He has openly stated several times that he wants to transform America.  He cannot accomplish his goals without disarming America's citizens.  His seemingly irresponsibility in this case is by design.  He knows full well the lessons of England and Switzerland.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online libertybele

I don't think that his executive order(s) is going to be limited to background checks.  I think that it will go much further.   No one  in Congress has stopped Hussein in the past.  I don't expect them to act now. According to the Washington Post ... "In reviewing its options, the administration has shut out congressional Republicans, who joined with some Democrats in helping block legislation to expand background checks after the 2012 mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn. “The administration has not communicated with us, and we have not been briefed,” Doug ­Andres, a spokesman for House Speaker Paul D. Ryan (R-Wis.), said in an email. “We will consider options once we have information, but what seems apparent is none of these ideas would have prevented the recent atrocities. Our focus should be on the consistent causes of these acts — mental illnesses and terrorism — rather than infringing on law-abiding Americans’ constitutional rights.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2016/01/01/obama-to-impose-new-gun-control-curbs-next-week/

Meanwhile ...  124 Anti-gun Democrats Introduce Semi-Auto Gun and Magazine Ban in House of Representatives.  This is different than the original assault weapons ban.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20151229/124-anti-gun-democrats-introduce-gun-and-magazine-ban-in-house-of-representatives

Also: Federal Appeals Court Upholds Bans on America’s Most Popular Rifles and Magazines

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20151019/federal-appeals-court-upholds-bans-on-america-s-most-popular-rifles-and-magazines
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 02:35:15 am by libertybele »

Offline Paladin

Article quote, #1: "To enforce the new rules, the White House is asking Congress for funding to hire 200 new ATF agents and investigators and $500 million in funding to address mental health issues."

Article quote, #2: "Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) blasted Obama’s plans as "a dangerous level of executive overreach" and accused him of defying the will of Congress."

So does anyone think Ryan understands funding for Obama's " dangerous level of executive overreach" must come from the Congress? Does anyone think the Ryan led and Republican dominated House will deny him the money to implement his " dangerous level of executive overreach"?

Gotta admit I laughed out loud when I read quote #2, I so distrust Ryan and the other Republicans.
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Online libertybele

Article quote, #1: "To enforce the new rules, the White House is asking Congress for funding to hire 200 new ATF agents and investigators and $500 million in funding to address mental health issues."

Article quote, #2: "Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) blasted Obama’s plans as "a dangerous level of executive overreach" and accused him of defying the will of Congress."

So does anyone think Ryan understands funding for Obama's " dangerous level of executive overreach" must come from the Congress? Does anyone think the Ryan led and Republican dominated House will deny him the money to implement his " dangerous level of executive overreach"?

Gotta admit I laughed out loud when I read quote #2, I so distrust Ryan and the other Republicans.

Glad you are able to laugh at this.  I can't seem to shake the feeling that this will go much further and will create such an upheavel that he will suspend the elections and retain office.

Offline EdinVA

Offline GourmetDan

Not saying you do... but anybody who thinks Bammy's intent is to do the right thing is...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Everyone is focused on the background checks, but I think the crux of Obama's action today is the one being overlooked, for the most part.  Doctors being told to inform about any patient or member of their family that has a "mental issue" - which could include families with autistic children, soldiers with PTSD, etc.  This could potentially have a huge impact on gun ownership - much more than the additional guidelines on background checks.  This little "thing" is just being slipped in - and screw HIPAA.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Online libertybele

Everyone is focused on the background checks, but I think the crux of Obama's action today is the one being overlooked, for the most part.  Doctors being told to inform about any patient or member of their family that has a "mental issue" - which could include families with autistic children, soldiers with PTSD, etc.  This could potentially have a huge impact on gun ownership - much more than the additional guidelines on background checks.  This little "thing" is just being slipped in - and screw HIPAA.

Bingo.  Anyone who has ever been issued a prescription for any type of sedative/narcotic/opiate regardless of what it has been prescribed for will eventually lose their right to carry. As for HIPPA, it is my understanding that HIPPA doesn't apply to government agencies or law enforcement as long as they show a need for the information.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Bingo.  Anyone who has ever been issued a prescription for any type of sedative/narcotic/opiate regardless of what it has been prescribed for will eventually lose their right to carry. As for HIPPA, it is my understanding that HIPPA doesn't apply to government agencies or law enforcement as long as they show a need for the information.

I think this is the real purpose of Obama's new initiative.  The background checks are just the subterfuge. 

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

HAPPY2BME

BY: Stephen Gutowski   Follow @@StephenGutowski
January 4, 2016 7:30 pm

The Obama administration announced during a conference call with reporters Monday evening that the president’s upcoming executive order may require somebody selling even a single firearm to obtain a Federal Firearms License.

During the call White House Press Secretary Josh Earnest, White House Senior Adviser Valerie Jarrett, and Attorney General Loretta Lynch explained the details of the order, which will be announced publicly by President Obama Tuesday at 11:40 a.m. The action, officials explained, would include guidance on how the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives will now determine who is “engaged in the business” of selling firearms under federal law and, therefore, who is required to obtain a license to sell firearms.

“ATF will make clear that whether you are ‘engaged in the business’ depends on the facts and circumstances,” Jarrett said. “On factors such as: whether you represent yourself as a dealer, such as making business cards or taking credit card statements. Whether you sell firearms shortly after they’re acquired or whether you buy or sell in the original packaging.”

“Numbers are relevant. The ATF and DOJ did not identify a magic number of weapons that makes you engaged in the business because that would limit their ability to bring prosecution.”

Jarret then said that selling as few as “two firearms” could require somebody to obtain a federal firearms license. However, later in the call, Attorney General Lynch revised that number down further. “It can be as few as one or two depending upon the circumstances under which the person sells the gun,” Lynch said.

The federal firearms license application process takes several months to complete and costs a significant amount of money, according to the ATF website.

In addition to the new guidance on who must obtain a firearms license, Valerie Jarrett announced that the president would require the Social Security Administration to begin the rule-making process for prohibiting certain Social Security recipients from legally obtaining guns, a move that could bar millions from legally owning firearms.

The order will also include a number of other initiatives, including hiring more ATF agents, increasing research into so-called “smart gun” technology, adding further state recorders to the federal background check system, and making that system operate around the clock.

http://freebeacon.com/issues/obama-executive-order-may-require-those-selling-even-a-single-firearm-become-licensed-dealers/

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
Well, there is one thing that Obama is very good at...he makes for booming, robust black markets.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline aligncare

Not saying you do... but anybody who thinks Bammy's intent is to do the right thing is...

I totally get your point, and take no offense. But, is it too much to ask of Republicans whom we voted for, to do something to stop Obama? Whether Obama is just a stupid incompetent, or is a subversive enemy agent – either way. I doubt the Constitution was designed to protect a president who acts in a way that is counter to the best interests of the American people. The problem is congress is gutless.

HAPPY2BME

Obama’s Gun-Control Plan Includes Gun-Ban For Some Social Security Beneficiaries

The White House released a fact-sheet Jan. 4 which previews the executive gun control Obama will unveil Tuesday and one aspect of the new controls is the inclusion of “information from the Social Security Administration in the background check system about beneficiaries who are prohibited from possessing a firearm.”

On July 18 Breitbart News reported on Obama’s push to ban gun-possession for Social Security beneficiaries who are believed incapable of handling their own finances.

At that same time, the Los Angeles Times reported that a ban was being put together “outside of public view,” so all the details were not known. But the Times did  know that the ban would cover those who are unable to manage their own affairs for a multitude of reasons–from “subnormal intelligence or mental illness” to “incompetency,” an unspecified “condition,” or “disease.”

The ban pertaining to Social Security beneficiaries is now tucked into the “mental health” aspects of Obama’s executive gun control.

According to the White House executive order preview:

Current law prohibits individuals from buying a gun if, because of a mental health issue, they are either a danger to themselves or others or are unable to manage their own affairs. The Social Security Administration (SSA) has indicated that it will begin the rulemaking process to ensure that appropriate information in its records is reported to NICS. The reporting that SSA, in consultation with the Department of Justice, is expected to require will cover appropriate records of the approximately 75,000 people each year who have a documented mental health issue, receive disability benefits, and are unable to manage those benefits because of their mental impairment, or who have been found by a state or federal court to be legally incompetent. The rulemaking will also provide a mechanism for people to seek relief from the federal prohibition on possessing a firearm for reasons related to mental health.

Again, the push for a ban on gun possession for certain Social Security beneficiaries was already in the works during the summer, but it is also incorporated into the “mental health” aspect of Obama’s executive gun control.

And this means that information on beneficiaries who meet the criteria of mental impairment–demonstrated in part by an inability to manage their own benefits–will be added to the National Instant Criminal Background System (NICS) so that the beneficiaries cannot buy a gun.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2016/01/04/obamas-gun-control-plan-includes-gun-ban-social-security-beneficiaries/

HAPPY2BME

Obama executive actions on guns coming Tuesday

President expected to create 'national registry' through back door

The White House announced it will unveil President Obama’s promised executive orders Tuesday morning on “common sense” gun control, but Second Amendment advocates and Republicans in Congress say “not so fast.”

They’re gearing up for a battle that will extend to the legislative branch and the courts.

Obama is expected to announce his unilateral plans to work around Congress to rein in gun sales and “make our communities safer,” according to a White House statement that appears to borrow the exact talking points of Michael Bloomberg’s Every Town For Gun Safety. He plans to deliver remarks at 11:40 a.m. EST Tuesday from the East Room. The president also plans to pitch his ideas at a nationally televised town hall Thursday with Anderson Cooper on CNN.

On Monday evening, the White House released a memo titled, “Promoting Smart Gun Technology.” The memo ordered the Department of Defense, the Department of Justice and the Department of Homeland Security to “conduct or sponsor research into gun safety technology that would reduce the frequency of accidental discharge or unauthorized use of firearms, and improve the tracing of lost or stolen guns.” The White House also instructed the departments to “explore potential ways to further [the technology's] use and development to more broadly improve gun safety.”

In the memo, Obama said he directed the Department of Justice in 2013 to review gun safety technologies “such as devices requiring a scan of the owner’s fingerprint before a gun can fire.”

As WND reported, Frank Miniter, author of “The Future of the Gun,” has warned that mandatory smart-gun technology could make every existing gun in the U.S. illegal.

Also, under the plan announced by the White House:

Obama plans to expand the definition of a licensed gun dealer to include anyone who sells firearms at gun shows and online. He argues the move will close a purported “legal loophole” that lets gun buyers bypass background checks by purchasing firearms through trusts and corporations.
    Legal barriers will be removed so states can share information on Americans disqualified from gun ownership due to mental health reasons.
    The FBI will hire more than 230 new examiners to process background checks 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
    Obama plans to ask Congress to authorize $500 million to fund increased access to mental health care.

Obama insists his actions are within his legal authority and supported by “the overwhelming majority of the American people, including gun owners.”

But if Obama acts without Congress’ approval to expand background checks to person-to-person gun transfers among fellow gun enthusiasts, he will in effect be laying the foundation for a national gun registry, critics say. And they’re preparing to push back hard against any such measures.

“If you think Obama is going to stop now, you are badly mistaken. This is only the beginning,” Alan Gottlieb, executive vice president of the Second Amendment Foundation, told WND.

“President Obama is determined to take away our Second Amendment rights before he leaves office. He has made a public promise to enact his gun control agenda with or without Congress,” Gottlieb said. “Now it appears he is starting to make good on his promise through executive orders. This is a direct assault on our Second Amendment rights.”

Gottlieb said if Obama follows through with this assault, he should expect SAF and other groups to mount a vigorous legal challenge.

“We intend to bring a lawsuit against to the Obama administration if he follows through on his executive orders and regulations against our constitutional and civil rights,” Gottlieb said.

Rep. Dave Brat, R-Va., said Republicans in Congress will attempt to cut funding for any executive orders on gun control, but the legislative body has already given up much of its leverage by passing the omnibus budget bill just before Christmas.

“I hope we will (defund), but that’s been part of the problem. And we’ve funded the government through September, so again we’ve given up some of our leverage before we’ve ever been able to negotiate,” said Brat, who was one of the minority of Republicans who voted against omnibus.

Brat told WND he believes Obama may also be seeking to distract the American public from his failed foreign policy and slack national security policy in the wake of the Dec. 2 attack by two jihadists that killed 14 Americans in San Bernardino, California.

“That gun issue is a smoke screen for the most important issues right now, which are foreign policy, national security, refugees and the poor economic performance,” Brat told WND. “That’s what has the American people feeling so unsettled right now. So the president has managed to create a policy that eats up the headlines.”

Fox News’ Senior Judicial Analyst Andrew Napolitano told Neil Cavuto Monday that Obama’s executive actions will be “clearly unconstitutional” and will most likely be invalidated in the courts.

“The president is attempting to rewrite the law in a way that Congress has rejected,” Napolitano said.

That sets up a rematch of a battle between the administration and the National Rifle Association over the issue of expanded background checks.

Obama huddled Monday with his attorney general, Loretta Lynch, to discuss the pending executive action on guns. The most likely regulations, according to numerous reports, are expanding background checks and also broadening the definition of what constitutes a firearms “dealer.”

Former New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg has played an advisory role in Obama’s emerging executive orders.

“He personally met with the president and is working with him to get public support for his going around Congress to implement this plan of action against Second Amendment constitutional rights,” Gottlieb said.

Jerry Henry, president of GeorgiaCarry.org and an expert on firearms laws, said the so-called “gun show” loophole in the federal law requiring background checks is “non-existent.”

Any licensed dealer who sells at a gun show must conduct a background check on everyone he sells to, whether it’s at a gun show, in a store, in a private residence or on a street corner.

But many Americans buy or sell several guns per year as a hobby. Some of these person-to-person sales, known as “private sales,” are conducted at gun shows simply because this is where a lot of hobbyists find each other.

“If I’m walking down the aisle of a gun show and I’ve got a gun over my shoulder and someone says, ‘How much you want for that?,’ then I can sell it to him and that’s what’s known as a private sale. And no background check is required,” Henry said. “However, if I know that person to be a suspicious person and I sell him the gun anyway, I have just committed a felony.”

One of the possible ways around this “loophole” is to place a limit on the number of guns a person can sell privately before being considered a firearms dealer.

“They’ve been talking about trying to force people who sell five or more guns a year to become a federal firearms dealer,” Henry said. “Right now, if you’re not in the business of selling firearms, you don’t have to have a license. But if you are in it to make a living at it, then you have to have one. There is no specific number right now that triggers the need for a license.”

Henry said he believes the real reason behind such rules is to hassle law-abiding gun owners and allow the government to track the movement of all guns, creating in effect a national gun registry.

“Some just like to trade firearms. I know a guy who will get a gun and he’ll have it a month or three weeks and decide he didn’t really want it and he’ll trade it for something else. People like him would have to get a license,” Henry said.

Another option is to go the way of Washington state, which recently passed a voter-approved initiative requiring all transfers of guns, even loans of guns between family members, to trigger the need for a background check.

“Other than those two things, I don’t know what else he can do that would be even close to being legal, and I’m not sure he can do any of this with it being legal,” he added.

“What they are really aiming at doing, what they have really wanted over years and years is a national registry. And if they do get that, every gun that changes hands, you will have to register it, and you have what is known as a national gun registry, where the government knows where all the guns are,” Henry said.

From that point, the next step – confiscation – can easily be implemented at any time, either selectively against certain groups or wholesale.

Henry said this is the critical point that many Americans who support universal background checks don’t understand.

“If there should ever come to be a national registry, then that means the government would be able to walk into your house anytime they want to and check if you have guns that are not on their lists,” he said. “And if you do have one of those guns, you should be carted off to jail.”

“People will say, ‘I don’t see a problem with that.’ But they don’t stop to think, ‘If the government can come into my house to check to see if I have something not on that list, they then can come into your house and check, too,’” he said.

“That will basically be the end of what few civil rights we have left in this country.”

CNN is hosting a town hall on “gun violence” with Anderson Cooper and President Obama on Thursday night.

GOP presidential candidates react

Many of the GOP presidential candidates have come down forcefully against Obama’s looming executive orders on guns.

Cruz said President Obama thinks he can work around Congress because he’s got “a pen and a phone.”

“He can abuse his power all he wants,” Cruz said in a stump speech in Iowa Monday. “Well, if you live by the pen, you die by the pen. And my pen has got an eraser.”

Marco Rubio issued a similar ultimatum, saying he would undo any executive order restricting gun purchases “on my first day in office.”

Jeb Bush said said Obama’s “first impulse always is to take rights away from law-abiding citizens, and it’s wrong.”

Trump looking one step ahead

Donald Trump said he believed Obama’s executive actions were merely a starting point, not an end game, when it comes to guns.

“Pretty soon you won’t be able to get guns,” he told CNN’s Chris Cuomo. “It’s another step in the way of not getting guns.”

Trump suggested that the keys to blunting mass shootings are an increased focus on mental health – a focus on “the people that actually pull the trigger on the gun” – and a push to put those weapons in the hands of civilians.

“If the people in Paris had guns, you know what, you wouldn’t have had 134 people and many more to follow get killed,” he said. “And if people in California had guns, a couple of guns in that room, you wouldn’t have had 16 people killed.”

Trump also used the interview to slam areas where guns are prohibited or restricted, saying, “Whenever I see gun-free zone, that’s a flag for the wackos to come in and start shooting people.”

Henry said he expects the CNN town hall meeting to be largely a staged event meant to sway public opinion. Polls show the vast majority of Americans don’t want stiffer gun-control laws.

“I don’t guess you’ll see the list of Second Amendment supporters that will be asking questions of Barack Obama,” Henry said. “You can guess he is not. And if he is, his answer has been totally vetted. The answer will come up on the teleprompter.”

“One of the things that makes me feel kind of decent about this is he’s taking so long to do it, and that means he’s having trouble figuring out what he’s going to do and how he’s going to do it,” Henry said.

Paul Ryan calls plan ‘executive overreach’

Ryan issued a statement Monday saying Obama was subverting the Constitution and distracting attention from “radical Islamic terror.”

His statement read in part:

“We should also better enforce the laws we have on the books now to keep guns out of the hands of violent criminals. Instead, the president is again targeting law-abiding citizens, intruding further into innocent Americans’ lives. At a time when the country wants the president to lead the fight against radical Islamic terror, this is yet another attempt to divide and distract from his failed policies.

“While we don’t yet know the details of the plan, the president is at minimum subverting the legislative branch, and potentially overturning its will. His proposals to restrict gun rights were debated by the United States Senate, and they were rejected. No president should be able to reverse legislative failure by executive fiat, not even incrementally. The American people deserve a president who will respect their constitutional rights – all of them. This is a dangerous level of executive overreach, and the country will not stand for it.”

http://www.wnd.com/2016/01/obama-executive-actions-on-guns-coming-tuesday/

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Support the USO

HAPPY2BME

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Support the USO