Author Topic: In face of criticism, Trump surges to his biggest lead over the GOP field  (Read 4927 times)

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/in-face-of-criticism-trump-surges-to-his-biggest-lead-over-the-gop-field/2015/12/14/b9555e30-a29c-11e5-9c4e-be37f66848bb_story.html

In face of criticism, Trump surges to his biggest lead over the GOP field

By Dan Balz and Scott Clement
December 15 at 12:01 AM 

Following his proposal to temporarily bar Muslims from entering the country, Donald Trump has increased his lead in the Republican primary to its largest margin yet, according to a new Washington Post-ABC News poll.

The results are the latest sign that Trump’s outspoken comments on immigration and terrorism continue to find an audience among rank-and-file Republicans in spite of sharp condemnation from Democrats, GOP leaders, some of Trump’s rivals and a chorus of world leaders.

The survey puts Trump’s support at 38 percent among registered Republicans and GOP-leaning independents, six points higher than in October and November. Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas, who also is running an anti-establishment campaign, has surged into second place with 15 percent, effectively doubling his support since last month.

Sen. Marco Rubio of Florida and Ben Carson are tied for third, with 12 percent each. Carson, who with Trump was at the top of the field earlier this fall, saw his support cut roughly in half over the past month. No other candidate in the new poll registers in double digits. Former Florida governor Jeb Bush stands at 5 percent among registered Republicans.

At this point in the campaign, even with the first votes fewer than 50 days away, national polls are not always the reliable predictors of where presidential nominating contests are heading. At this time four years ago, former congressman Newt Gingrich was tied with eventual nominee Mitt Romney on the Republican side. Eight years ago, former New York City mayor Rudy Giuliani led the GOP field, while Hillary Clinton held a wide lead over then-Sen. Barack Obama among Democrats. Giuliani and Clinton eventually lost.

National surveys can change quickly and sometimes dramatically after voters in the early states begin to register their preferences.

In Iowa, which kicks off the nominating season with caucuses on Feb. 1, Trump trailed Cruz in a Des Moines Register-Bloomberg Politics poll released over the weekend. Trump continues to lead in New Hampshire, which holds the first primary on Feb. 9, but that race has shown fluidity in recent weeks amid jockeying by a group of Republican candidates battling for establishment support.

The Post-ABC survey isn’t all good news for Trump. In a hypothetical ­general-election race, Trump trails Clinton, the Democratic front-runner, by 53 percent to 40 percent among all adults and 50 percent to 44 percent among registered voters. The latter margin is within the range of sampling error.

Beyond that, 69 percent of adults nationally say they would feel anxious with Trump as president, with 49 percent saying the would feel “strongly” so. That compares with just 29 percent of Americans who say they would feel comfortable. In contrast, 51 percent say they would feel anxious with Clinton in the Oval Office, compared with 47 percent who say they would feel comfortable.

Regardless of how attitudes may change in the coming weeks, the survey underscores the degree to which Trump has dominated the GOP race in virtually all respects this year. He has skillfully used a megaphone through the media to spread his views on immigration and terrorism. He has tapped a vein of anger on the right, and he has been a relentless critic of any opponent who appears ready to challenge him.

The new poll was taken in the days immediately after Trump came under perhaps the heaviest criticism of the campaign. Early last week, he called for a ban on the entry of Muslims into the United States until U.S. officials could guarantee a more reliable process for screening out potential terrorists.

As in other cases when he has made controversial or questionable statements, however, the widespread criticism of the billionaire reality TV star that followed did not result in any diminution his support among Republicans. That is in large part because 59 percent of Republicans agree with his proposed ban, even as 60 percent of all adults say it is the wrong thing to do.

Trump’s dominance over his GOP rivals nationally is seen throughout the poll. He holds huge leads over the other top candidates when it comes to whom Republicans see as the strongest leader in the field, who is most likely to bring change to Washington and who among the field has the best chance of winning a general election.

On who is the strongest leader, 54 percent of Republicans and GOP-leaning independents cite Trump. On the question of who can best shake up Washington, 51 percent name Trump. On the question of who has the best chance of winning in the general election, 47 percent pick Trump. He enjoys 4-to-1 leads over the nearest candidate on strength and changing Washington and a 3-to-1 advantage on who can win.

On two other attributes — honesty and personality — Trump is either first or second, but with only about a quarter of Republicans citing him. He is bunched closely with the four others — Cruz, Rubio, Carson and Bush — who make up the top five.

After major terrorist attacks in Paris and San Bernardino, Calif., Republicans see terrorism as the most important issue in the election by a wide margin; it is cited by 38 percent, compared with 29 percent who name the economy and just 6 percent who highlight immigration. (Democrats rank the economy as the top issue.)

Asked to choose which candidate among the top five they would trust most to deal with threats of terrorism, half of Republicans cite Trump. Half also say they would trust him to deal with immigration.

The poll underscores the desire for change and the appeal of outsiders among Republican rank-and-file that has been a staple of this political year — though not among all Americans.

Nationally, 57 percent of adults say they prefer someone with experience in the political system as the next president, while 37 percent say they prefer someone from outside the system. Among all Republicans, however, 58 percent say they want an outsider more than someone with political experience. Trump is the overwhelming choice for the nomination among this group.

Trump leads among every demographic and ideological group of Republicans in the survey, but he has significantly greater support among those with less education and lower incomes and among men.

He has the support of 46 percent of white Republicans without college degrees, compared with 29 percent among those with college degrees. Similarly, he does far better among GOP voters whose household incomes are below $50,000 than with those at $50,000 and above. Men are far more likely to say they support Trump than are women, with the gender gap larger than in previous surveys.

Beneath Trump, the shifts in support suggest that many Republican voters are still weighing their options. Cruz’s rise to second in the Post-ABC poll parallels his even more dramatic surge in the Iowa poll. Carson’s decline, which has come amid questions about his foreign policy capabilities, has been reflected in state polls as well. Meanwhile, Rubio has held steady in Post-ABC polls over the past two months.

The Post-ABC poll was conducted Thursday through SundayDec. 10-13 among a random national sample of 1,002 adults reached on conventional and cellular telephones. Overall results have a margin of sampling error of plus or minus 3.5 percentage points. The error margin is plus or minus six points among the sample of 362 Republican and Republican-leaning registered voters.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: In face of criticism, Trump surges to his biggest lead over the GOP field
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 03:08:01 pm »
Please take a few minutes to review the chart and numbers on this page:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/apps/g/page/politics/republicans-trust-trump-on-terrorism/1915/

Pay particular attention to the poll questions, "Who do you trust most to handle...."

Trump is already breaking 50% -- an absolute majority.

Look at Rubio's and Bush's numbers vis-a-vis Mr. Trump's.

Can you see the future that is a-comin' down the line?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 03:08:46 pm by Fishrrman »

Offline Relic

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 03:19:39 pm »
There are a couple of posters here that should be put on suicide watch.   :seeya:

Offline Longiron

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 03:27:31 pm »
There are a couple of posters here that should be put on suicide watch.   :seeya:

DITTO and by tomorrow they will be saying that TRUMP lost the debate to everyone?? :silly:

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 03:29:43 pm »
Buh buh buh, it's still a month and a half till Iowa. He's gonna crash man, crash hard. Just wait man, you'll see. I can feel it man.
The Republic is lost.

Offline GAJohnnie

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2015, 03:31:45 pm »
Buh buh buh, it's still a month and a half till Iowa. He's gonna crash man, crash hard. Just wait man, you'll see. I can feel it man.

Trump has peaked, he cannot break 50%, he is goign to impode, how soon does Trump drop out........... :chairbang:

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2015, 03:43:31 pm »
Please take a few minutes to review the chart and numbers on this page:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/apps/g/page/politics/republicans-trust-trump-on-terrorism/1915/

Pay particular attention to the poll questions, "Who do you trust most to handle...."

Trump is already breaking 50% -- an absolute majority.

Look at Rubio's and Bush's numbers vis-a-vis Mr. Trump's.

Can you see the future that is a-comin' down the line?

Yeah, look at those numbers:

The Post-ABC survey isn’t all good news for Trump. In a hypothetical ­general-election race, Trump trails Clinton, the Democratic front-runner, by 53 percent to 40 percent among all adults and 50 percent to 44 percent among registered voters. The latter margin is within the range of sampling error.

Beyond that, 69 percent of adults nationally say they would feel anxious with Trump as president, with 49 percent saying the would feel “strongly” so. That compares with just 29 percent of Americans who say they would feel comfortable. In contrast, 51 percent say they would feel anxious with Clinton in the Oval Office, compared with 47 percent who say they would feel comfortable.

Win the primaries, lose the general.

Let's get behind the Orangutan.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Relic

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2015, 03:46:55 pm »
Yeah, look at those numbers:

Win the primaries, lose the general.

Let's get behind the Orangutan.

If you can't win the primary, how do you propose to win the general?

If Hillary will wipe the floor with Trump because he is such a weak candidate, why can't one of the Republican challengers do the same?

Offline Longiron

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2015, 03:50:10 pm »
Trump has peaked, he cannot break 50%, he is goign to impode, how soon does Trump drop out........... :chairbang:

He will be there in a couple of weeks BUT will implode when he hits 60%. That is the plan the Party of STUPID has in place. Get him over confident then lower the BOOM with Bushie and RUBIO coming out of wherever they are at. :silly:

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2015, 03:57:55 pm »
If you can't win the primary, how do you propose to win the general?

If Hillary will wipe the floor with Trump because he is such a weak candidate, why can't one of the Republican challengers do the same?

Because 40% of the GOP has lost its collective mind.  I never thought I'd live long enough to see Republicans mimic Democrats in their shallowness.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2015, 04:11:45 pm »
IMO, this is all nonsense.

Wanna know who's going to elect Donald Trump?  ISIS, that's who.

Each and every time there is even a THREAT...as there was in Los Angeles, CA., today, which school cancellations...let alone a San Bernardino-type attack, more and more Americans will turn to Donald Trump...whether he's a Republican candidate OR leading a third party.

If Obama and Hillary could reach ISIS-Command they would plead with them to hold off on any suicide/terror attacks inside the United States until after next November. 

But alas, they can't help themselves.   I want to see more attacks as we lead up to the election.  As Hillary might say...."It's for the greater good".  Anything to drive a stake thru the Democrat Party.  They alone OWN the chaos.  They alone are guilty of killing Americans.

Donald Trump is the ONLY one who said he would stop all Muslims from being admitted into the USA until they get a handle on what's going on [with their vetting system].

Ted Cruz rhetorically asked if sand glowed in the dark and promised "we're going to find out", by carpet-bombing ISIS fighters in the Middle East.

Cruz is going to make a wonderful POTUS someday.  But 2016 is not his time.

It's too late for him to take on a Trump persona...."I'm not rich, but I'm the smartest guy in any room I enter.  Ask Alan Dershowitz...he'll tell ya.  I wanna kill each and every one of those sons-a-bitches...kill 'em dead.  And the mainstream media can kiss my as$".

Had he done that as Donald Trump has been wont to do...it would be a different race right now.

Just my opinion....
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2015, 04:17:36 pm »
I want to see more attacks as we lead up to the election

So, this is what Trump supporters have come to:  wishing death and destruction to their fellow citizens to help their boy get elected.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 04:18:01 pm by sinkspur »

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2015, 04:26:40 pm »

Each and every time there is even a THREAT...as there was in Los Angeles, CA., today, which school cancellations...let alone a San Bernardino-type attack, more and more Americans will turn to Donald Trump...whether he's a Republican candidate OR leading a third party.

If Obama and Hillary could reach ISIS-Command they would plead with them to hold off on any suicide/terror attacks inside the United States until after next November. 

But alas, they can't help themselves.   I want to see more attacks as we lead up to the election.  As Hillary might say...."It's for the greater good".  Anything to drive a stake thru the Democrat Party.  They alone OWN the chaos.  They alone are guilty of killing Americans.

Donald Trump is the ONLY one who said he would stop all Muslims from being admitted into the USA until they get a handle on what's going on [with their vetting system].

Ted Cruz rhetorically asked if sand glowed in the dark and promised "we're going to find out", by carpet-bombing ISIS fighters in the Middle East.

It's too late for him to take on a Trump persona...."I'm not rich, but I'm the smartest guy in any room I enter.  Ask Alan Dershowitz...he'll tell ya.  I wanna kill each and every one of those sons-a-bitches...kill 'em dead.  And the mainstream media can kiss my as$".

Had he done that as Donald Trump has been wont to do...it would be a different race right now.

Just my opinion....

"Wanna know who's going to elect Donald Trump?  ISIS, that's who."

Excellent observation!  ISIS can destroy everyone's plans practically in one day - as in the Los Angeles school threat.  Over six hundred thousand students and their parents impacted by that!

It's high drama right now, watching these events unfold in real time - this is a good movie!  Oh, wait...it's real life.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2015, 04:34:52 pm »

So, this is what Trump supporters have come to:  wishing death and destruction to their fellow citizens to help their boy get elected.

You want me to go back into the archives here...to see what you really think of Ted Cruz?

Virtually his entire time in the Senate, you've bad-mouthed him.  But now, you're ready to embrace him why?

Because of your hatred for Donald Trump.

I don't like his personality either, Sink.  You don't have a monopoly on that. 

But, I consider myself a "big picture" guy.   And I thought you were, too.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Longiron

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2015, 04:37:40 pm »

Just my opinion....

DITTO and also agree that TC will be a GREAT POTUS but not his TIME  yet. TRUMP is the non politician STRONG leader we need in these TIMES. He is a ball BUSTER and the exact OPPOSITE of the weed monkey. hate to say it BUT there will be more ISIS attacks in this country and even if ABORTED and hope they are, the need for TRUMPS immigration policy will be at a ALL TIME HIGH.  JMO

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2015, 05:01:45 pm »
You want me to go back into the archives here...to see what you really think of Ted Cruz?

Virtually his entire time in the Senate, you've bad-mouthed him.  But now, you're ready to embrace him why?

Because of your hatred for Donald Trump.

I don't like his personality either, Sink.  You don't have a monopoly on that. 

But, I consider myself a "big picture" guy.   And I thought you were, too.

Nice evasion.

You want your statement to stand, that you want more of your fellow citizens to die so that your rodeo clown gets elected?

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2015, 05:05:26 pm »
Because 40% of the GOP has lost its collective mind.  I never thought I'd live long enough to see Republicans mimic Democrats in their shallowness.

I never thought I'd live long enough to see Republicans actually engage in battle with Democrats.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2015, 05:12:17 pm »
I never thought I'd live long enough to see Republicans actually engage in battle with Democrats.

:laugh:

I'd given up on that too!

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline GAJohnnie

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2015, 05:14:52 pm »

The projection is strong with this one.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2015, 05:19:43 pm »
Nice evasion.

You want your statement to stand, that you want more of your fellow citizens to die so that your rodeo clown gets elected?

Come on sink..he never said such a thing
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2015, 05:21:03 pm »

This comment has been up for a while.  Neither the original poster nor any of the other posters on this thread have disavowed it.

So, it's pretty clear that's how Trumpster-Divers feel.  In exchange for Trump's election, they'd gladly see more of their fellow citizens massacred.

Wonder if all those lurking guests will suddenly rush to sign up now. 

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2015, 05:21:45 pm »

This is what he said:

How do you interpret that?

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2015, 06:03:53 pm »
DITTO
You people sicken me.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2015, 07:04:12 pm »
Nice evasion.

Sorry, had to step out and get some work done.

Truthfully, I was thinking of the attempt by the duo in Texas, that ended up with their being the only 'victims'.

My point was that I want them to stop hiding in the shadows and act on their insanity.

Every time it happens, gun sales go thru the roof, nationally. 

As Rush just pointed out a few minutes ago....paraphrased, "Something else has to be going on....you can't tell me everybody inside the Beltway is devoid of common sense..  Who actually thinks open borders is a good idea at this time?  Who actually thinks it was smart to destroy the best health-care system in the world for Obamacare?  Who actually thinks the unemployment rate is 5%?"

The ONLY person speaking out is Donald Trump....and they can't find ONE single person that knows him that would badmouth him or disavow his candidacy.  Why?

Because he's actually an engaging and very nice guy...that's why.

Other candidates like Bush...at 3%...claims that he can never beat Hillary.  But he says he can?

As Rush said...."if YOU can't beat Trump, what makes you think YOU could beat Hillary".

Of course, I don't want to see my fellow Americans slaughtered for political gain.   But I sure as hell want them to try.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 07:05:12 pm by DCPatriot »

Offline Relic

« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2015, 07:08:14 pm »
You people sicken me.

That's the beauty of this place. You taking offense is not all powerful, as it is in our liberalized country.

Much worse has been said of Trumpster-Divers, or even those who don't actively disdain Trump.

You can deal with it, or not, frankly scarlett, I don't give a damn.