Author Topic: CBS’s ‘Blue Bloods’ Shames Flag Burners and It's Awesome  (Read 659 times)

rangerrebew

CBS’s ‘Blue Bloods’ Shames Flag Burners and It's Awesome
« on: December 13, 2015, 01:16:14 pm »

CBS’s ‘Blue Bloods’ Shames Flag Burners and It's Awesome
By Dylan Gwinn | December 12, 2015 | 6:30 PM EST

Okay, so Blue Bloods’ Frank Reagan (Tom Selleck) is essentially the television spirit animal of all conservatives. On Friday night’s edition, an episode titled “Flags of Our Fathers,” (see what they did there? No, you don’t yet. But you will) an insulting and silly anti-war nut does his part to throw gasoline on the flaming fire of anti-war radicalism by organizing a protest, complete with flag burning at a Veteran’s memorial. 

But not before NYPD Commissioner Reagan attempts to talk him out of it:

Baker: Excuse me. I have David Gore for you, Commissioner.

Reagan: Well, let’s have him. Thanks for coming in. May I call you David?

Gore: Of course.

Reagan: Please.

Gore: It's good to meet you, Commissioner.

Reagan: I've reviewed your application to demonstrate.

Gore: Is that standard procedure?

Reagan: It is not. But I have some questions.

Gore: Chief among them if we intend to burn the American flag?

Reagan: That would be one of them.

Gore: We do.

Reagan: Well, of course, that is your right.

Gore: It is.

Reagan: But you and I both know that’s gonna make a lot of people very angry.

Gore: "Peace demands the most heroic labor and the most difficult sacrifice."

Reagan: Thomas Merton.

Gore: I'm impressed.

Reagan: Look, David, you and I don’t agree on a whole hell of a lot, but whatever message you’re trying to end here, burning the flag will drown it out.

Gore: It is a polarizing act. But the pro-war forces in this country have vastly superior resources, which forces us to take radical action.

Reagan: At the Veterans Memorial.

Gore: We respect the sacrifice of veterans.

Reagan: Now, why dishonor them when your argument is with the government?

Gore: My father was a Marine. He died in Iraq in 1990.

Reagan: Then the memorial honors his service.

Gore: The only thing his death accomplished was to strengthen the war machine that runs this country.

Reagan: Sometimes you have to fight for what you believe in.

Gore: That's exactly why I'm here.

Reagan: Here’s your permit. Only a fool seeks peace by inciting violence.

Gore: Martin Luther King.

Reagan: Frank Reagan.

Of course, it’s a little hard to say his father’s sacrifice accomplished nothing, considering that it liberated an entire country and removed a large percentage of the world’s oil resources from the hands of a madman.

Harder still to say that all it did was “strengthen the war machine,” seeing as how the U.S. military was substantially gutted less than 5 years after Desert Storm. But hey, facts are stubborn things.

So are anti-anti-war protestors, apparently. The flag burning protest was awesomely crashed by veterans, leaving our protest leader in a hospital and, shockingly, blaming the NYPD for the butt-whipping he so richly deserved.

However, Commissioner Reagan pays him a visit to give him another talking to that he badly deserves:

Reagan: How you feeling, David?

Gore: Mild concussion, a few stitches. I’ll live.

Reagan: Could have been a lot worse. And it didn’t have to happen.

Gore: I'm glad it did.

Reagan: Really?

Gore: A group of peaceful protestors being attacked on live television? That's a good day for us.

Reagan: Your lucky a lot of your people weren't seriously injured.

Gore: No thanks to your officers. The police assigned to protect us intentionally failed to do so.

Reagan: I didn't figure you for the kind that plants a bomb and then blames the bomb squad when it goes off.

Gore: Your people stood down, Commissioner.

Reagan: They manned their posts.

Gore: I was there. NYPD was openly hostile to my people, to our cause...

Reagan: Two of my men were hospitalized.

Gore: I'm sorry they were hurt, but they have an affirmative duty to protect the rights of citizens, whether they agree with them or not.

Reagan: We did our job.

Gore: We're not done. I rescheduled the demonstration. We will burn the American flag in the name of peace.

Reagan:  That flag, that you consider a prop and a stunt, has draped the coffins of Americans who died to give you the right to ignore that sacrifice. You're spitting on their graves.

Preach, spirit animal
Source URL: http://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/culture/dylan-gwinn/2015/12/12/cbs-blue-bloods-shames-flag-burners-and-its-awesome