Author Topic: LIVE THREAD: Obama to deliver rare Oval Office address Sunday..8pmest on terror threat  (Read 14207 times)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Yeah make me do the dirty work..... 8888crybaby
That is why you make the big 0 bucks.

Michelle Malkin ‏@michellemalkin 7m7 minutes ago

Obama wants us to remember Muslims in the US military. He forgets the lessons Nidal Hasan taught at Fort Hood.

He's done?
Donald J. Trump@realDonaldTrump
Is that all there is? We need a new President - FAST!

I have been tone deaf to discontent in the GOP...but really?  This is a Presidential address?  He didn't address nothing!  "We will continue..."  The man is tone deaf to reality.

Sean M. ‏@morelikeregular 13m13 minutes ago

So...
1. We'll fight them, but not really with like the Army and junk.

2. GUN CONTROL!!!!!11!!!

3. Be nice to Muslims.

That's it.

Almost completely summed up the speech in 3 points...only thing that was missed was this is the GOP's fault.

I did not mean to be insulting, DC.  Forty-six is 'young' to me.  My son was 42 when I lost him.  He was still my child.  So forgive my presumption.
Very sad.  No parent should have to bury their child.

He converted back around 1991-1992.

He was a great dancer.  Won cash prizes in the discos in Spain, while he was stationed in Germany.  So the brothas embraced him.

Adopted him.   Safety in numbers, I suppose.  To this day, he refers to them as his "peeps".

In 2005, my oldest boy was an antisocial teenager with no interest in girls.  My biggest fear was he was gay.  My next fear was he would climb a bell tower with a rifle.  My next fear was he would join the military because of my admiration of our US soldiers.  I resigned myself to love him regardless.  Seems like an easy decision, compared to your situation, but it kept me from sleeping many nights.

My son married a gorgeous catholic girl a couple years ago, and is soon to get a degree in music from a CA college.  I could not be happier for him.

I wouldn't presume to offer advice as a parent.  I will offer my sympathy and understanding of how you may be beating yourself up for your child's life choices.  They don't give us a manual to follow when we become parents, and parents are not mind readers.  Only your son can decide what is the right path for him.

You provided shelter, food, education, and love.  That is all you can do.

rangerrebew

'Muslims are our friends, neighbors and sports heroes': Obama interrupts Sunday night TV to preach tolerance and gun control but pledges no ground war against the 'thugs' of ISIS 'death cult'

Obama addressed the nation from the Oval Office for only the third time
    He spoke about the investigation into the San Bernardino killings as well as the threat to America from terrorism and his plan to defeat ISIS
    Obama declared the killings an 'act of terrorism' and said the perpetrators went down the 'dark path of radicalization'
    He called on Congress to pass legislation barring individuals on the no-fly list from purchasing guns, saying it was a matter of national security
    He also called for laws that make it harder for people to buy 'powerful assault weapons'
    Full news coverage of US President Obama at www.dailymail.co.uk/obama 

By Francesca Chambers, White House Correspondent For Dailymail.com

Published: 20:09 EST, 6 December 2015 | Updated: 01:22 EST, 7 December 2015

President Barack Obama used his Sunday night address on terrorism to reassure the American people that the San Bernardino shootings last week appear to be an isolated incident, despite one of the killers pledging allegiance to ISIS.

The president firmly dismissed a change in strategy in the war against the extremists that would require combat troops on the ground in Iraq and Syria.

And while the terrorist group is made up of 'thugs and killers' and is part of a 'cult of death', he again refused to call them 'radical Islamic terrorists'.

Americans must not take out their grievances with the fanatics on followers of Islam, he said.

'Muslim Americans are our friends and our neighbors are coworkers, our sports heroes. And yes, they are our men and women in uniform who are willing to die in defense of our country,' the president said, speaking from the Oval Office. 'We have to remember that.'

He also called on Congress to pass legislation barring individuals on the no-fly list from purchasing guns.

Scroll down for video
President Barack Obama used his Sunday night address on terrorism to assure the American people that the California shootings last week appear to be an isolated incident and urged them to treat followers of Islam with tolerance
+12

President Barack Obama used his Sunday night address on terrorism to assure the American people that the California shootings last week appear to be an isolated incident and urged them to treat followers of Islam with tolerance
Tashfeen Malik
+12
Syed Farook
+12

Tashfeen Malik (left) met husband and fellow San Bernardino attacker Syed Farook (right), 28, through a dating website. He flew to Saudi Arabia to meet her and brought her back to the US on a fiancée visa
Obama also pressed for gun control measures after the shooters' stockpile of weapons and ammunition were found. Above, the remains of an SUV involved in Farook and Malik's shootout with police
+12

Obama also pressed for gun control measures after the shooters' stockpile of weapons and ammunition were found. Above, the remains of an SUV involved in Farook and Malik's shootout with police

The symbolic use of the Oval Office was an attempt by Obama to set a tone of political gravitas equal to the moment after repeated accusations that he underestimated the threat from ISIS and was too slow to identify the San Bernardino mass murder as domestic terrorism.

In only the third Oval address, Obama declared the killings an 'act of terrorism' and said the perpetrators went down the 'dark path of radicalization'.

But there is 'no evidence' they were directed to commit the murders by a specific terrorist group nor is the United States under threat of an imminent attack, he said.

The FBI is still 'gathering the facts', Obama declared, but that much is known.

Syed Farook, a 28-year-old American, and Tashfeen Malik, his 29-year-old wife born in Pakistan - both Muslims - carried out the massacre which left 14 dead and 21 injured. The duo were killed in a police stand-off.

Malik is said to have pledged allegiance to ISIS on Facebook at the time of the rampage.

The FBI is investigating the shooting spree as a terrorist attack, it said Friday.

READ MORE

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3348743/This-act-terrorism-Obama-says-San-Bernardino-shooters-went-dark-path-radicalism-Oval-Office-address-presidency.html#ixzz3tdJiZG8h
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 11:24:47 am by rangerrebew »

rangerrebew

CAIR Welcomes Obama’s ‘Rejection of Islamophobia’ in Oval Office Address

(Update: CAIR welcomed what it called President Obama's "rejection of Islamophobia" following the speech on Sunday night. It pointed in particular to Obama's statement that "Muslim Americans are our friends and neighbors, our coworkers, our sports heroes, and yes, they are our men and women in uniform who are willing to die in defense of our country. We have to remember that."  Earlier story is below.)

(CNSNews.com) – Ahead of President Obama’s primetime Oval Office address on the terrorist threat Sunday – following what appears to be the deadliest terror attack on U.S. soil since 9/11 – the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) urged the president to use the opportunity to condemn what it called “rising Islamophobia”

“Hate-filled rhetoric and anti-Muslim attacks are putting the lives of American Muslims and their families in real danger,” said the group’s national executive director, Nihad Awad.

“We are particularly concerned by an emerging pattern of government officials and employees, as well as other public figures, seeming to endorse or encourage violence against Muslims.”

Awad said that since the Paris terror attacks last month CAIR has received more reports about attacks, threats, intimidation and discrimination against Muslims – or people thought to be Muslim – and against Islamic institutions “than during any other limited period of time since the 9/11 terror attacks.”

The Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS/ISIL) claimed credit for the orchestrated Nov. 13 attacks in the French capital, which cost 130 lives, and is also associating itself with last week’s mass shooting in San Bernardino, California.

Law enforcement authorities are treating the killing of 14 people at a party attended by county employees as a terrorist attack, although Attorney General Loretta Lynch said Sunday it was too soon to say whether ISIS was indeed responsible.

The perpetrators in San Bernardino, subsequently killed in a shootout with police, were a Muslim married couple – the U.S.-born son of Pakistani immigrants, Syed Rizwan Farook, and his Pakistani-born wife Tafsheen Malik, who lived for years in Saudi Arabia and moved to the U.S. in mid-2014 on a “fiancé visa.”

Awad called on Obama to include in his address “a clear condemnation of the rising anti-Muslim attacks and hysteria we have witnessed in recent weeks, and to state that violence against American Muslims and their institutions will not be tolerated.”

“ISIS knows it cannot defeat our nation militarily, so the terror group’s only hope is to divide Americans along religious and ethnic lines,” he said. “This address provides the opportunity to clearly demonstrate national unity, not division.”

CAIR, which calls itself “the nation’s largest Muslim civil rights and advocacy organization,” did not elaborate Sunday on its allegation about government officials and public figures “seeming to endorse or encourage violence against Muslims.”

But in previous recent statements it has accused some GOP presidential candidates of espousing “extreme anti-Muslim rhetoric and falsehoods.”

It has also said the climate was being worsened by the debate over Syrian refugees, charging that some state governors and lawmakers were “playing on public fears and spreading misinformation about the federal government's ability to screen Syrian refugees being resettled into the United States.”

Source URL: http://cnsnews.com/news/article/patrick-goodenough/condemn-rising-islamophobia-cair-urges-obama-ahead-oval-office

rangerrebew

Obama, however, does not reject cop-phobia, anglo-phobia, conservative-phobia, or veteran-phobia to name a few phobias Obama wants people to accept.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
In 2005, my oldest boy was an antisocial teenager with no interest in girls.  My biggest fear was he was gay.  My next fear was he would climb a bell tower with a rifle.  My next fear was he would join the military because of my admiration of our US soldiers.  I resigned myself to love him regardless.  Seems like an easy decision, compared to your situation, but it kept me from sleeping many nights.

My son married a gorgeous catholic girl a couple years ago, and is soon to get a degree in music from a CA college.  I could not be happier for him.

I wouldn't presume to offer advice as a parent.  I will offer my sympathy and understanding of how you may be beating yourself up for your child's life choices.  They don't give us a manual to follow when we become parents, and parents are not mind readers.  Only your son can decide what is the right path for him.

You provided shelter, food, education, and love.  That is all you can do.

Thanks, Once-Ler.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online mountaineer

Why did Obammy stand during the speech? Maybe too much time with Reggie left his behind a little tender, I don't know.
Why was President Obama standing during his Oval Office address?

President Obama spoke on live TV from the Oval Office on Sunday night to tell the world that the United States will not take the threat of terrorism sitting down. So he didn't sit down.

Maybe it's as simple as that. Or maybe he strained his back playing basketball on Saturday and needed to stand for medical reasons. Whatever the impetus, let's get one thing straight: Obama's choice to stand at a podium in his office rather than sit behind the Resolute Desk, as is customary in an Oval Office address, was very deliberate — as all decisions about presidential imagery are.

It's not as though he keeps a dais parked in front of the desk all the time. The mere fact that he and his staff said, "Hey, let's bring one in," means they believed there was something to gain by getting the president on his feet.

What were they going for? And did it work?

Dismissing the hoops hypothesis as pretty far-fetched, I'm betting Obama's upright posture was the result of two considerations: the way he would be perceived and the way he would feel.

We've long been told — and know intuitively — that standing up makes you look more powerful and confident. This is why phrases such as "stand up for yourself" and the aforementioned "not going to take this sitting down" exist in our culture. Obama's critics consistently call him weak on terrorism, which was part of the reason he spoke Sunday night. Standing up is a simple, unstated way for him to project strength.

More important to the president, however, might be what standing up does for his own comfort level. As we at The Fix noted before the speech (and before we knew Obama would be at the lectern), he seemed stiff and uncomfortable in his two previous Oval Office addresses, when he took the more traditional seated posture. ...

Read the rest at WashPoo
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Why did Obammy stand during the speech? Maybe too much time with Reggie left his behind a little tender, I don't know.
Read the rest at WashPoo

He knows that he looks small behind the desk.  It definitely is an attempt at projecting strength to counter the world's perception that he is weak.  It is painful to watch.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline flowers

'Muslims are our friends, neighbors and sports heroes':
Name one muslim sports hero?

and here is the money quote for me..............................

For seven years, I've confronted this evolving threat each and every morning in my intelligence briefing, and since the day I took this office, I have authorized U.S. forces to take out terrorists abroad precisely because I know how real the danger is.

we know that is a lie. He has said it himself many times he only meets with them once or every two weeks. We also know our millitary is begging him to let them take out isis targets. So pretty much anything he had way after this last paragraph went in one hear  and out the other. Also why was he standing...they did the polls and found out that made him look better?  Cnn right after his speech wasn't happy about it for a bit.

Offline flowers

God, I ended up hearing it even though I wanted to avoid it. He didn't really double-down overtly...perhaps the evidence is too clear and too widely known...but it was a vacuous, empty message. He really wasted our time on a Sunday during Christmas to say that?  No gravitas.
Yes I was surprised a bit he didn't double down. He did do that whistle a couple of times. But he didn't say what I thought he would

Offline flowers

Offline DCPatriot

Sorry to hear this DC.

Thanks.  Hopefully it will all work out. 
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline flowers

1912 words 11128 characters
1912 words 11128 characters
Details

1912 Words
    11128 Characters
    Sentences 101
    Paragraphs 41
    Reading Level College Student
    Reading Time 7 mins

Keyword Density
18 (2%)isil 10 (1%)americans 10 (1%)war 9 (1%)terrorist 9 (1%)muslim 8 (1%)country 8 (1%)people 7 (1%)american 6 (1%)san 6 (1%)bernardino

Offline flowers

Thanks.  Hopefully it will all work out.
Hope so.

Offline flowers

Name one muslim sports hero?

and here is the money quote for me..............................

we know that is a lie. He has said it himself many times he only meets with them once or every two weeks. We also know our millitary is begging him to let them take out isis targets. So pretty much anything he had to say after this last paragraph went in one hear  and out the other. Also why was he standing...they did the polls and found out that made him look better?  Cnn right after his speech wasn't happy about it for a bit.

Obama Lies About Intelligence Briefings in Speech to Nation

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/12/07/obama-lies-about-intelligence-briefings-in-speech-to-nation/

President Barack Obama tried to reassure the American people from the Oval Office on Sunday evening that he takes the threat of terrorism seriously: “For seven years, I’ve confronted this evolving threat each morning in my intelligence briefing.” However, as the Government Accountability Institute (GAI) has shown, Obama skips more than half of his daily intelligence briefings.

The data comes from the White House itself, which has admitted Obama’s absence but has said he reads the material on his iPad.

In 2012, just before the Benghazi attacks, the GAI released a study covering Obama’s Presidential Daily Brief (PDB) attendance from January 2009 through mid-June 2012. It found that “During his first 1,225 days in office, Obama attended his PDB just 536 times–or 43.8 percent of the time. During 2011 and the first half of 2012, his attendance became even less frequent–falling to just over 38 percent. By contrast, Obama’s predecessor, George W. Bush almost never missed his daily intelligence meeting.”

In 2014, the GAI released another study, showing Obama’s pattern of absenteeism had continued. As Breitbart News’ Wynton Hall reported:

A new Government Accountability Institute (GAI) report reveals that President Barack Obama has attended only 42.1% of his daily intelligence briefings (known officially as the Presidential Daily Brief, or PDB) in the 2,079 days of his presidency through September 29, 2014.

The GAI report also included a breakdown of Obama’s PDB attendance record between terms; he attended 42.4% of his PDBs in his first term and 41.3% in his second.

Some PDB’s contained information about Islamic State.

When asked about the data, then-National Security Council spokesman Tommy Vietor said it did not matter that Obama skipped briefings. The Washington Post’s Marc Thiessen reported: “Vietor did not dispute the numbers, but said the fact that the president, during a time of war, does not attend his daily intelligence meeting on a daily basis is ‘not particularly interesting or useful.’”

Offline EdinVA

I was hoping to hear something along the lines of securing the borders, "inventory" of known alien visitors/residents (both legal or otherwise), temporary hold on any more refugees until security protocols reviewed and solidified.

Heard nothing of the sort....

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I was hoping to hear something along the lines of securing the borders, "inventory" of known alien visitors/residents (both legal or otherwise), temporary hold on any more refugees until security protocols reviewed and solidified.

Heard nothing of the sort....

As in, something that would effectively work to counter the actual threat?  Not out of this administration.

Offline DCPatriot

LOL!  Local radio talk show host Chris Plante said today that the Syed's wife came to the U.S. on a K-9 visa.

Offline andy58-in-nh

LOL!  Local radio talk show host Chris Plante said today that the Syed's wife came to the U.S. on a K-9 visa.

Now that's funny right there. :laugh:

Although come to think of it, I didn't think they liked dogs.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Last night was a stop gap attempt at damage control. The admin has doubled and tripled down on their narrative, and tried to shove it down our throats, and then reality came along to blow it all up in their faces. They are now desperately scrambling to regain traction and last nights bland C- speech illustrates it. It was a last ditch effort to get ahead of it and avoid looking completely irrelevant.

Obama and crew have smugly and smirkily bullied and played this nation like a harp for the last 7 years and one single event has completely leveled them. I'm not sure they know how to recover, and Obama is too inflexible to try something different.

It will be interesting to see what Hillary does. She's going to have to cut ties with this Admin at some point, and Obama isn't going to like that. Might result in an interesting little cat fight.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 07:00:55 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.