Author Topic: George Lucas Explains Why Greedo Shoots Han Solo First in Star Wars  (Read 785 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Time for something really controversial.

Deep inside a compelling Washington Post profile of George Lucas is the Star Wars creator defending perhaps his most infamous bit of Special Edition tinkering: having Greedo shoot Han Solo first rather than the scruffy-looking smuggler taking a pre-emptive action.

Lucas says Han shooting first in the Mos Eisley cantina — which is what happened in the original edit of 1977’s debut Star Wars film — ran against the character’s principles. “Han Solo was going to marry Leia, and you look back and say, ‘Should he be a cold-blooded killer?’” Lucas asks. “Because I was thinking mythologically — should he be a cowboy, should he be John Wayne? And I said, ‘Yeah, he should be John Wayne.’ And when you’re John Wayne, you don’t shoot people [first] — you let them have the first shot. It’s a mythological reality that we hope our society pays attention to.”...

http://time.com/4129406/star-wars-george-lucas/

Offline PzLdr

Re: George Lucas Explains Why Greedo Shoots Han Solo First in Star Wars
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 01:49:46 pm »
"Mythological reality"? WTF?
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 02:07:50 pm »
"Mythological reality"? WTF?

Something that people with more spare time than you or I use instead of "archetype." Guess it sounds smarter or something.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 05:54:03 pm »
Something that people with more spare time than you or I use instead of "archetype." Guess it sounds smarter or something.

Which is all just an excuse instead of saying they made it up as they went along. Lucas was writing and changing the story as they filmed.