Author Topic: 'Active shooter' reported at US family planning clinic  (Read 7168 times)

Offline Paladin

Re: 'Active shooter' reported at US family planning clinic
« Reply #150 on: November 29, 2015, 02:59:01 am »
"The gunman suspected of storming a Planned Parenthood clinic and killing a police officer and two others told the officers who arrested him “no more baby parts,’’ after being taken into custody, according to a law enforcement official.

The attack on the clinic was “definitely politically motivated,’’ the official — who has been briefed on the investigation and spoke on condition of anonymity because it is still unfolding — told The Washington Post. NBC News, which first reported the comment attributed to suspect Robert Lewis Dear, said Dear also mentioned President Obama in a range of statements to investigators that left unclear his precise motivation in targeting the clinic.

Yet even as authorities worked to determine the exact motive and released few details about Friday’s shootings, the politics of the highly charged abortion issue seemed to outstrip their efforts to be methodical. While anti-abortion activists denied any knowledge of Dear and said he is not affiliated with their movement, pro-choice activists countered that rhetoric by conservatives against Planned Parenthood had precipitated the nation’s latest mass shooting.

Dear is accused of killing two civilians in addition to University of Colorado police officer Garrett Swasey, as well as injuring at least four other officers and five more civilians. He is being held without bond and is scheduled to make his first appearance in court on Monday, where he is expected to be receive state murder charges. A law enforcement official said federal charges are also being considered."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2015/11/28/investigators-search-for-motive-in-planned-parenthood-shooting-that-left-three-dead/

Tonight I watched the NBC report on this tragedy and it was one of the slickest pieces of propaganda I have ever witnessed. For example, when it came to the issue of those videos of PP selling baby parts, it used some kind of qualifier like "purported" and only allowed one person to comment on whether or not PP in fact does that: Cecile Richards, the president of the Planned Parenthood. Yeah, her word can be trusted. 

Dear deserves no sympathy. He murdered 3 people and has done incalculable harm to the ProLife movement. He may not have acted in opposition to abortion, though it looks like he did, but that is how it is being played and its going to stick.

Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Oceander

« Reply #151 on: November 29, 2015, 03:10:26 am »
Dear me (probably something I should avoid saying for the time being).  :silly:

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #152 on: November 29, 2015, 11:33:15 am »
Why is he referred to as "she" and "her" on the genealogy?

Government records are never the best. I am referred to as Ms. on my blood donor records, and am magically 10 years younger on my damned passport! The second is awkward and I've tried correcting it each time the passport gets renewed, to no avail.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

rangerrebew

« Reply #153 on: November 29, 2015, 01:36:30 pm »
November 29, 2015
Interesting family background of the Colorado Springs shooter
By Rosslyn Smith

Many outlets have been saying the Colorado Springs shooter was from Western North Carolina, where I live. Since I have been active in the local prolife community, this bothered me.  So I did a little snooping on-line.

I found that Dear does own property in Buncombe County (Asheville) though he lists his address on the property records for both parcels as South Carolina. The properties are low end. He also appears to have a residence in unincorporated Hartsel, Colorado and was registered to vote there as an unaffiliated voter. I'd say that makes him a Colorado resident. He never registered to vote in North Carolina.

Since Dear doesn't seem to have held a regular job, one has to wonder how he paid his bills. Property taxes are probably low on those two parcels, but it still takes ready cash. The family is from South Carolina. I have to wonder if the tax bills go to a relative or trustee there.  From a professional point of view, he seems to me like the type of person whose inheritance might be put in a spendthrift trust. And I do suspect there might be some money in his family.  One report says Dear listed his occupation as a "self employed art dealer." That's not usually an occupation for someone with middle or working class roots.

His full name is actually Robert Lewis Dear, Jr.   His namesake was a WWII veteran and Citadel graduate who was employed by Liggett & Myers Tobacco Company for 40 years.  During that time the family may have relocated for business more than once, as senior's obituary noted he lived in Florida, Kentucky and Missouri before he returned to his native South Carolina for the last 15 years of his life. Senior was a joiner -- a member of the
Honorary Order of Kentucky Colonels and the Citadel Brigadiers Club. Poor people don't tend to be invited into such beneficial organizations. The well-to-do are also more likely to clam up whenever a relative brings disgrace to the family name. So far I have not heard a peep from the extended family and all the names were in the easy to find obituary.

Unlike his sire, Dear Jr. is said to be a loner. He had no on-line presence anyone has found.  He lived in Walterboro, SC for several years, where he was far from unknown to the local authorities because of a variety of incidents -- complaints of domestic violence, animal abuse, peeping tom.  From those reports he seems to be a bit of a paranoid crank, quick to take offense at a neighbors while oblivious to when he gave offense.  But he was still middle class enough to call the police to assist him from time to time.  Once in SC he claimed his motorcycle was damaged by a neighbor.   Another time he called in the law in a dispute with a tenant over installment payments on a truck she had purchased from him and then claimed it had disappeared when he tried to repossess it.   The appliances also disappeared when the tenant moved out of the place she had rented from him.  The lack of job information for a man his age plus these reports that indicate poor judgment/erratic behavior fits the pattern of a child of the upper middle class who may inherit via a spendthrift trust.

I suspect the media may quickly lose interest. He probably doesn't fit a convenient narrative for them, as he seems far more mentally ill than politically motivated.  The Asheville Citizen Times, which makes the Minneapolis Star-Tribune look almost middle of the road, has found no evidence of any political motivations in Dear.

From what I have found so far, Dear looks like a pretty sad figure, the not quite right in the head child who never grew up.  He apparently never got along all that well with people even before he dropped out to live off the grid.  I have to wonder if his parents never stopped contributing to his upkeep and that when senior was alive junior was kept on a short enough leash to seem respectable.

In Walterboro, Dear Jr. had a wife, at least one child and a home in a day trip tourist town known for historic preservation and quaint antique stores/folk art galleries. Then in recent years his life seems to have gone off the tracks.  Perhaps the combination of divorce, the death of his father and an economic environment in which those who are too difficult for other people to deal with simply won't find work was the trigger that sent him into an off the grid shack on Black Mountain.

A neighbor in North Carolina reported

You can tell his personality is just off. The way he looked at you, the way he talked, he just seemed off,” said James Russell, who lives a few hundred feet down the mountain. “If you talked to him, nothing with him was very cognitive — topics all over place.”

There is no information so far on why Dear, Jr. moved to Colorado after apparently spending so many years in the Carolinas.  It would be funny if legalized pot has something to do with it.   He does look like quite a few of the badly aging hippies, many of them scions of respectable, affluent families, who get drawn to low cost of living communities in areas around towns like Asheville or Colorado Springs.

Read more: http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2015/11/interesting_family_background_of_the_colorado_springs_shooter.html#ixzz3st4wEyUc
Follow us: @AmericanThinker on Twitter | AmericanThinker on Facebook

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #154 on: November 29, 2015, 01:58:58 pm »
Government records are never the best. I am referred to as Ms. on my blood donor records, and am magically 10 years younger on my damned passport! The second is awkward and I've tried correcting it each time the passport gets renewed, to no avail.

How about having a certified copy of your birth certificate with you and saying to the man behind the counter..."And I'm not leaving this place until a get a corrected passport"?
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #155 on: November 29, 2015, 02:07:07 pm »
Tried that in 2004 - took in my birth cert, military ID, driving licence (all of which were checked, photocopied etc) - they STILL gave me a passport with the date that's on file with them. Once a gov dept makes a mistake, they won't change it.  :shrug:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline aligncare

« Reply #156 on: November 29, 2015, 02:33:38 pm »
Tried that in 2004 - took in my birth cert, military ID, driving licence (all of which were checked, photocopied etc) - they STILL gave me a passport with the date that's on file with them. Once a gov dept makes a mistake, they won't change it.  :shrug:

...it's called double-down stupidity. Or, as the government training manual for new hires calls it: "doing your job."

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #157 on: November 29, 2015, 08:02:16 pm »
Let's see, we have an anonymous 'law enforcement' source claiming he made a statement of 'no more baby parts', then the AG of the DOJ adamantly insists this was politically motivated (read: right-wingers), yet all that seems inconsistent with the timeline of events and what we know about Dear himself.

They don't even need an incident any more. Just a close call incident that they can write the narrative from.
The Republic is lost.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #158 on: November 29, 2015, 09:31:54 pm »
Well well... some possible online postings by him have been found and unlike what the left wants to admit, it doesn't seem he was anything like a pro-life champion, but instead, a pot smoking nut. (disclaimer, there is a chance these may not be him, often the media is too quick to jump on fake accounts made after the fact)

'We are in the end times': The paranoid online ramblings of Colorado Planned Parenthood shooter who ranted about the apocalypse and quoted from the Bible... while seeking sadomasochistic sex

....ince his 2000 divorce, Dear seems to have become a loner who lived a quiet life - but he appears to have been much more aggressive online - seeking bondage and sadomasochistic sex online and companions to smoke marijuana with.

He also appears to have posted a series of Biblical ramblings on the message boards of Cannabis.com ten years ago under a username apparently linked to Dear.

The New York Daily News reported that, in December 2005, the user posted 'aids, hurricanes, we are in the end times' and 'accept the LORD JESUS while you can.'....

...And an online advert posted under Dear's pseudonym asked for bondage and sadomasochistic sex and company to smoke marijuana.

A page on the adult dating site SexyAds.com lists 'BDSM' and 'casual sex' sought by a man matching Dear's description.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3338454/We-end-times-paranoid-online-ramblings-Colorado-Planned-Parenthood-shooter-ranted-apocalypse-quoted-Bible-seeking-sadomasochistic-sex.html#ixzz3sv0cTFsi

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #159 on: November 29, 2015, 11:27:05 pm »
Colorado Shooting: The Media’s Biased Narrative on Abortion and Guns
Posted On Nov 29 2015
By : Susan Swift Arnall
Politichicks
Christmas has come early for the Leftwing Media and its near-giddy hysterics over the shooting in Colorado that ended in a Planned Parenthood clinic. Why? Because it invokes the two most cherished issues for Liberals: abortion and guns.

The tragic business of death is an everyday occurrence inside abortion chop shops harvesting baby parts for cash, but only newsworthy to the Media when a miscreant nutcase uses a gun. It is newsworthy because it feeds a fraudulent Leftwing narrative of peaceful, noble abortion clinics under constant assault by conservative, Christian, mostly-male, anti-choice extremists.

So far, what we KNOW is that a religiously and politically unaffiliated, crazy-looking 57 year loner with a creepy legal history went postal, killing one police officer, two others, and holding hostages inside Planned Parenthood before surrendering.

The Left has not waited to learn the shooter’s mental ability, his criminal intent, his political views, or whether he was high out of his mind on a PCP-laced doobie. Robert Lewis Dear is already cemented as a white, middle-aged male Christian terrorist launching a war against women and “reproductive rights”. Regardless of the facts, Dear is now permanently enshrined as a political prop for Planned Parenthood’s abortion business, a tragedy they will relentless exploit to attack any critics or efforts to defund.

“Pro-abortion presidential candidate Hillary Clinton sent a tweet exploiting the active shooting before the shooter was apprehended or a motive known to push for support for the abortion business.”

Despite the absence of facts and motive for the shooting, President Obama also wasted no time, releasing a statement politicizing the shooting:

The last thing Americans should have to do, over the holidays or any day, is comfort the families of people killed by gun violence — people who woke up in the morning and bid their loved ones goodbye with no idea it would be for the last time.

Hold up, Mr. President, does this apply to gun violence and murders by your illegal immigrants? Does it apply to the murder of Kate Steinle? It took you a couple of hours to publicly speak of the Planned Parenthood shooting, but after five months, you remain silent over Kate’s murder at the hands of one of your illegal immigrants. The reason for the President’s silence, as everyone knows, is that Kate Steinle’s murder does not fit a political narrative that the President can exploit.

Nor will you see the Media comparing this shooting to the 2012 shootings inside the Family Research Council office in Washington D.C. when pro-abortion zealot Floyed Corkins entered with a gun and shot a worker there. Corkins, who admitted his motivation was the hate rhetoric against the FRC by pro-abortion groups, is a buried, never-to-be-resurrected memory to the Left and its Media.

And executing the liberal playbook with clockwork precision, the President promptly renewed demands for tougher gun controls laws, insinuating that any failure by Congress to restrict such “weapons of war” will result in more deaths outside more abortion facilities, and regardless whether any of the new laws would have prevented this crime. Taking the cue, the Left is already exploiting the event as a mass shooting. Writes CNN,
    As he has time and again after mass shootings, the President called on policymakers to do something to prevent them. ‘This is not normal. We can’t let it become normal,’ he said. ‘If we truly care about this — if we’re going to offer up our thoughts and prayers again, for God knows how many times, with a truly clean conscience — then we have to do something about the easy accessibility of weapons of war on our streets to people who have no business yielding (sic) them.’ (emphasis added).

Never mind the everyday deaths inside Planned Parenthood. Our culture is numb to that atrocity. That’s normal and the Left’s conscience is clean as it offers up its daily sacrament of abortion.

And if the media can find any shred of evidence suggesting that Robert Dear harbors even mildly pro-life sentiments, you can bet your bottom dollar that the Left will go full retard, linking the pro-life perspective to domestic terrorism. Twenty year-old stories about the abortion clinic shootings in the 1990s are no doubt already cued up at MSNBC, CNN and the like.

Regardless of relevance, the Left’s media machine has its political narrative for the week laid out: Link abortion “haters” with gun violence. Expose the lurking dangers of pro-life domestic terrorism and how any member of the pro-life cult could suddenly snap and begin a terrible shooting spree taking innocent lives . . . outside the womb.

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Paladin

« Reply #160 on: November 29, 2015, 11:29:44 pm »
Interesting observation from a FB page:

"
--"Planned Parenthood officials say that all 15 staff members who were in the Centennial Boulevard clinic at the time of the shootings on Friday are unharmed."--

It is hard to get facts about what happened.
 Why is it labeled a Planned Parenthood shooting when the people at/in Planned Parenthood weren't shot?

The story isn't clear yet, but it seems like he went in there & shot OUT at people.
 Were the killed & wounded shot before he went in PP or after?

Matt wrote - "They call it a Planned Parenthood attack when the gunman went into the PP facility and fired outward at ranges up to 300 yards. No one inside the PP building was hurt. But hey, don't let the facts get in the way of the narrative."
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Offline Paladin

« Reply #161 on: November 30, 2015, 06:20:00 am »
Curious development, at least to me. Anyone have an idea why this is so?

"COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (AP) — Colorado Springs police say they will not disclose why a gunman opened fire at a Planned Parenthood clinic, killing three people.

Police say in a statement Sunday that they are sealing the warrants related to the case against 57-year-old Robert Lewis Dear. They say they are not providing information on the weapon used in Friday’s shooting, a timeline of events or a motive of the suspect."

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015/11/29/police-wont-release-motive-in-planned-parenthood-shooting/

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #162 on: November 30, 2015, 06:24:51 am »

"COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (AP) — Colorado Springs police say they will not disclose why a gunman opened fire at a Planned Parenthood clinic, killing three people.

Police say in a statement Sunday that they are sealing the warrants related to the case against 57-year-old Robert Lewis Dear. They say they are not providing information on the weapon used in Friday’s shooting, a timeline of events or a motive of the suspect."

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015/11/29/police-wont-release-motive-in-planned-parenthood-shooting/

Seen that. Now things are starting to really smell.
The Republic is lost.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #163 on: November 30, 2015, 11:42:35 am »

"COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (AP) — Colorado Springs police say they will not disclose why a gunman opened fire at a Planned Parenthood clinic, killing three people. ...
Well, if I had to speculate, I'd say maybe there's no way he can be passed off as an patriotic conservative, Republican, Christian pro-lifer.  :pondering:

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #164 on: November 30, 2015, 12:34:30 pm »
We are in the end times': The paranoid online ramblings of Colorado Planned Parenthood shooter who ranted about the apocalypse and quoted from the Bible... while seeking sadomasochistic sex

*Robert Dear, 57, allegedly burst into the clinic in Colorado Springs on Friday and opened fire, killing three people

*Dear's ex-wife, Pamela Ross, said he was once a happily married family man who lived with her and their son in South Carolina
    But after their divorce, he appears to have posted apocalyptic rants online and sought sadomasochistic sex and pot-smoking companions

*In December 2005, a user linked to Dear wrote 'aids, hurricanes, we are in the end times' and 'accept the LORD JESUS while you can'

*Ross said that Dear believed abortion was wrong, but 'it was never really a topic of discussion'

*Planned Parenthood say evidence backs suspicions he is anti-abortionist

*Police plan to charge Dear with terrorism; anti-abortionist Republican Mike Huckabee called Dear a 'terrorist' in an interview

*Locals told Daily Mail Online that Dear moved to a remote cabin in Colorado a year ago and kept himself to himself

By Ruth Styles In Hartsel, Colorado For Dailymail.com and Khaleda Rahman For Dailymail.com
Published: 13:48 EST, 29 November 2015 | Updated: 17:46 EST, 29 November 2015

Full story at Daily Mail (U.K.)
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #165 on: November 30, 2015, 02:04:01 pm »
Well, if I had to speculate, I'd say maybe there's no way he can be passed off as an patriotic conservative, Republican, Christian pro-lifer.  :pondering:

And just as important...the fact that one of the shooting victims is a police officer, and Colorado has no death penalty....they won't be playing "Let's Make a Deal" for him to change his story.

...unless it's a promise to keep him 'safe' inside.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline flowers

« Reply #166 on: November 30, 2015, 03:41:45 pm »

If it was helping their agenda we would know all of those things.

Offline flowers

« Reply #167 on: November 30, 2015, 03:45:33 pm »
I noticed yesterday Cnn paid tribute to the dead policeman. I don't remember them doing that for  the cops who where murdered around the country this year. Only now when it may involve PP.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 03:48:26 pm by flowers »

Offline Millee

« Reply #168 on: November 30, 2015, 03:56:54 pm »
And just as important...the fact that one of the shooting victims is a police officer, and Colorado has no death penalty....they won't be playing "Let's Make a Deal" for him to change his story.

...unless it's a promise to keep him 'safe' inside.

Colorado does have the death penalty for now, but we have a feckless governor who won't carry out the executions.