Author Topic: Obama says gun control to be top issue of final year  (Read 407 times)

rangerrebew

Obama says gun control to be top issue of final year
« on: November 18, 2015, 10:42:54 am »
Obama says gun control to be top issue of final year

President Obama hopes to make gun control the top issue of his final year in office, saying Americans aren’t more violent than other people but they “have more deadly weapons to act out their rage.”

In an interview published Tuesday in GQ magazine, Mr. Obama said easy access to guns is “the only variable” between the U.S. and other developed countries.

“The main thing that I’ve been trying to communicate over the last several of these horrific episodes is that, contrary to popular belief, Americans are not more violent than people in other developed countries,” Mr. Obama said. “But they have more deadly weapons to act out their rage.”

PHOTOS: Best handguns ever made

Asked by interviewer Bill Simmons of HBO if gun control will be the “dominant” issue on his agenda next year, Mr. Obama replied, “I hope so.”

“We have this weird habit in this culture of mourning and, you know, 48, 72 hours of wall-to-wall coverage, and then … suddenly we move on,” Mr. Obama said. “And I will do everything I can to make sure that there’s a sustained attention paid to this thing.”

The president has begun to speak out about gun regulations more forcefully in recent months, following mass shootings at a church in South Carolina and a community college in Oregon. He said in the magazine article that the aftermath of the Sandy Hook elementary school massacre in Connecticut in December 2012 was “the worst few days of my presidency.”

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/nov/17/obama-says-gun-control-be-top-issue-final-year/
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 10:43:58 am by rangerrebew »

rangerrebew

Re: Obama says gun control to be top issue of final year
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 10:45:10 am »
And here I naively thought "global goreing" was the most important issue in the universe. :shrug: