Author Topic: Trump surges among likely Republican primary voters: Reuters/Ipsos poll  (Read 6895 times)

Oceander

Re: Trump surges among likely Republican primary voters: Reuters/Ipsos poll
« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2015, 02:35:06 am »
Trump just finished a rally in Texas.  I actually watched it (online).  Here's what I noticed:   He truly connects with the people.  When he speaks he's not lecturing, he's not preaching--he's talking, he's explaining and he's relating.  These are strengths few politicians have, and they are essential to success.

The connection Trump has with the thousands and thousands who hear him is becoming a bond.  And IMO if Trump makes it to the general election,  that bond will hold and he will win.

Sounds just like a certain junior senator from Illinois in 2008.  Look where that got us.  It also sounds like a short little dark-haired politician in Weimar Germany.

Oceander

« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2015, 02:37:06 am »

I hereby declare I will vote for the nominee. Period. I am man enough to admit when I am wrong, and adjust my thinking.

If the consensus of my fellow Republicans/conservatives that they want to run with Donald Trump, I can adapt.

As will I.

Oceander

« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2015, 02:38:05 am »
There is no complacency involved in being opposed to Trump.  In fact, it is my lack of complacency that makes me so strongly against having him in the Oval Office.  I am sick to death of having a childish narcissist Democrat running the country, and it makes me sick to think that people are considering putting another one just because they're angry.

Use the anger to move us forward and make us strong.  Don't succumb to the anger that makes you put another dictator-wannabe in the Oval Office.......just because he's claims to be on "our" side.

THINK!!

Absolutely.  Could not have said it better.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2015, 04:11:50 am »
Sounds just like a certain junior senator from Illinois in 2008.  Look where that got us.  It also sounds like a short little dark-haired politician in Weimar Germany.

There's a young African-American who works for Glenn Beck who was a teenage worker for Obama, and he attended a Trump rally and said that it was just like the Obama rallies he had been part of.  Everyone was going crazy, but no one knew why they were supporting the guy.

It was entirely emotional.

I find this whole thing unnerving.  There is no thought here.  There is no reason.  It's not healthy no matter which side it's coming from.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #54 on: November 15, 2015, 04:52:24 am »
There's a young African-American who works for Glenn Beck who was a teenage worker for Obama, and he attended a Trump rally and said that it was just like the Obama rallies he had been part of.  Everyone was going crazy, but no one knew why they were supporting the guy.

It was entirely emotional.

I find this whole thing unnerving.  There is no thought here.  There is no reason.  It's not healthy no matter which side it's coming from.

I saw the same interview with that young man on Beck's show. Frightening simularities.   Seems the same people appauled by Obama's Greek Temple, arn't really looking for a humbled president from our side - a George Washington. No, they want our own rock star narcissist.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #55 on: November 15, 2015, 07:16:41 am »
Although I do not support Trump, I also do not think he would be a disaster in the general election.  The "Low Info Voters" are pop culture obsessed, and Trump is a pop icon.  Ultimately, they'll vote for the guy because they saw how good he was at getting things done on television, plus they'd rather see him on their TV screens for the next four years than Hillary.

I actually think Trump would (mop) the floor with Hillary.  But I still would prefer he was not the nominee. He has taken too many positions I disagree with.

I think the GOP nominee will win, who ever that may be.
Your comments about LIVs being pop culture obsessed are insightful, and undoubtedly explain much of Trump's popularity.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #56 on: November 15, 2015, 01:32:39 pm »
Your comments about LIVs being pop culture obsessed are insightful, and undoubtedly explain much of Trump's popularity.

"Much" but not all.  There are bright, insightful conservatives I have known since the 1990s supporting the guy.  Trump also seems to have get support from the likes of Rush Limbaugh, Mark Levin and Jeff Sessions.  These are not people i consider LIV material.

I just don't know what has come over the Trumpeteers.

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #57 on: November 15, 2015, 01:42:00 pm »
"Much" but not all.  There are bright, insightful conservatives I have known since the 1990s supporting the guy.  Trump also seems to have get support from the likes of Rush Limbaugh, Mark Levin and Jeff Sessions.  These are not people i consider LIV material.

Some things about the "phenomenon" simply mystify me.  His big bounce after the first debate, for example; from where did it come?   :shrug:
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline libertybele

« Reply #58 on: November 15, 2015, 01:42:35 pm »
He continues to poll well, but I am not confident that if he were to win the nomination that he would be able to beat Hillary or Sanders in a debate UNLESS he can come across a little more "polished" and more articulate.  His demeanor is more that of a "bully" rather than presidential.  One thing I have observed about him is, rather than expounding on an issue to get his point across he simply repeats it.  IMHO it makes him look less presidential and lacking in the ability to effectively communicate.  But on the other hand, perhaps his repetition when speaking may be how he is getting his point across.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Longiron

« Reply #59 on: November 15, 2015, 02:12:33 pm »
Trump just finished a rally in Texas.  I actually watched it (online).  Here's what I noticed:   He truly connects with the people.  When he speaks he's not lecturing, he's not preaching--he's talking, he's explaining and he's relating.  These are strengths few politicians have, and they are essential to success.

The connection Trump has with the thousands and thousands who hear him is becoming a bond.  And IMO if Trump makes it to the general election,  that bond will hold and he will win.

Right, VA you just po'ed real bad all the Trump haters big time on here by the post just made. Life is a bitch when you are right ? You are 100% spot on. :patriot:

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #60 on: November 15, 2015, 02:18:26 pm »
Right, VA you just po'ed real bad all the Trump haters big time on here by the post just made. Life is a bitch when you are right ? You are 100% spot on. :patriot:

I am not a supporter of Trump.  But why in heaven's name would RiV's post piss me off?  It is an opinion fairly expressed.

Yours is the provocative comment.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 02:18:42 pm by Lando Lincoln »
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline libertybele

« Reply #61 on: November 15, 2015, 02:28:17 pm »

As I have stated before, I think that more voters will be focused on the elections after the holidays and after the first of the year.  What happens at the Iowa caucus will be more indicative of how the candidates rank and I think voters will be looking at candidates a little more seriously.  Also, the mud slinging from the MSM will be in full force and the attack ads against each other and against the other party will be bombarding us.  The RNC/GOPe will be pushing Rubio and the DNC will be pushing Hillary.  Things are about to get ugly.  In order for Trump to survive, he will need to keep his "personality" in check otherwise I think he will destroy himself.  If he runs 3rd party as a result, he will not only perhaps show his true colors, but surrender any chance of the GOP getting into the White House. 
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #62 on: November 15, 2015, 03:38:10 pm »

Not a Trumpeteer...yet. But I can say this, I don't distrust Trump. His message has been consistently in line with my own philosophy. As has Cruz's.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #63 on: November 15, 2015, 04:08:23 pm »
Not a Trumpeteer...yet. But I can say this, I don't distrust Trump. His message has been consistently in line with my own philosophy. As has Cruz's.

Trump's "message" is that he will personally attack his competitors and get down in the gutter to do that.

Is that your philosophy too?
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline GAJohnnie

« Reply #64 on: November 15, 2015, 05:39:54 pm »
he GOPe talking heads want to claim that the Paris attacks will hurt Trump. Voters will now, supposedly, turn to an &acirc;&#128;&#156;experienced, serious&acirc;&#128;&#157; politician</p><P>

Actually Trump is probably going to benefit since voters see him as the candidate with the strongest leadership skills. He is saying what most voters are thinking. "Why are we dancing around here waging a PC war, just finish these people off now."</p><P>

ISIS is another example of the corrupt, incompetent nature of the DC Political/Media/Business machine. DC cannot even get its act together to exterminate terror group that carved a minor state-let in the ME.</p><P>

Most obvious examples of things we should be doing.</p><P>

How is ISIS still funding its activities? Pretty tough to keep a terrorist army together when you cannot buy guns, bullets and food for your soldiers. Why is any activity allowed between the terrorist areas and the rest of the world?</p>

Offline Longiron

« Reply #65 on: November 15, 2015, 05:57:17 pm »
he GOPe talking heads want to claim that the Paris attacks will hurt Trump. Voters will now, supposedly, turn to an &acirc;&#128;&#156;experienced, serious&acirc;&#128;&#157; politician</p><P>

Actually Trump is probably going to benefit since voters see him as the candidate with the strongest leadership skills. He is saying what most voters are thinking. "Why are we dancing around here waging a PC war, just finish these people off now."</p><P>

ISIS is another example of the corrupt, incompetent nature of the DC Political/Media/Business machine. DC cannot even get its act together to exterminate terror group that carved a minor state-let in the ME.</p><P>

Most obvious examples of things we should be doing.</p><P>
I
How is ISIS still funding its activities? Pretty tough to keep a terrorist army together when you cannot buy guns, bullets and food for your soldiers. Why is any activity allowed between the terrorist areas and the rest of the world?</p>

Ditto but do not forget Barry and the RINOGOP will send him a strongly worded polite memo?

Offline Longiron

« Reply #66 on: November 15, 2015, 05:59:34 pm »
I am not a supporter of Trump.  But why in heaven's name would RiV's post piss me off?  It is an opinion fairly expressed.

Yours is the provocative comment.

Your opine, but it is ok for the Trump haters on here as long as you agree with them! But do not call them out then you become provocative. Yes, !

Offline GAJohnnie

« Reply #67 on: November 15, 2015, 06:04:10 pm »
Rubio has the potential, and he's gaining in the early primary states, which are the only ones that matter.  National polls are meaningless in primaries, especially if the leader of those polls loses Iowa, NH, and SC.

Rubio has serious image issues. You cannot run as a Tea Party Conservative, go to DC and become the consummate insider, then go back and run for President as an "outsider"

Rubio has been at odds with the base on too many issues. It going to be pretty tough to sell him to the GOP base as anything but more of the same.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #68 on: November 15, 2015, 06:08:30 pm »
Rubio has serious image issues. You cannot run as a Tea Party Conservative, go to DC and become the consummate insider, then go back and run for President as an "outsider"

Rubio has been at odds with the base on too many issues. It going to be pretty tough to sell him to the GOP base as anything but more of the same.

Nah.  He's gaining traction.  Why would it be tough to sell him to the GOP base?

The GOP base is wetting itself over a big-mouthed Democrat.  At least Rubio's been a Republican all his life.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #69 on: November 15, 2015, 06:14:14 pm »
Nah.  He's gaining traction.  Why would it be tough to sell him to the GOP base?

The GOP base is wetting itself over a big-mouthed Democrat.  At least Rubio's been a Republican all his life.

"You're a funny guy Sully, I like you. That's why I'm going to kill you last"...John Matrix, Commando 
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline GAJohnnie

« Reply #70 on: November 15, 2015, 06:26:09 pm »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marco_Rubio

Will the real Marco Rubio please stand up? Standard issue Business  as usual insider or "Tea Party Conservtive"?

From Rubio bio

In late 1999, a special election was called to fill the seat for the 111th House District in the Florida House of Representatives, representing Miami. The seat had been held by Representative Carlos Valdes, who had run for and won an open Florida State Senate seat.[20] It was considered a safe Republican seat, so Rubio's main challenge was to win the GOP nomination.[18] He campaigned as a moderate, advocating tax cuts and early-childhood education.[18]

ccording to National Journal, during this period Rubio did not entirely adhere to doctrinaire conservative principles, and some colleagues described him as "a centrist who sought out Democrats and groups that don’t typically align with the GOP".[18] He co-sponsored legislation that would have let farm workers sue growers in state court if they were shortchanged on pay, and co-sponsored a bill for giving in-state tuition rates to the children of undocumented immigrants.[18] In the wake of the September 11 attacks, he voiced suspicion about expanding police detention powers, and helped defeat a GOP bill that would have required colleges to increase reporting to the state about foreign students.[18]

As a state representative, Rubio requested legislative earmarks (called "Community Budget Issue Requests" in Florida), totaling about $145 million for 2001 and 2002, but none thereafter.[31][32] Additionally, an office in the executive branch compiled a longer list of spending requests by legislators, including Rubio,[33] as did the non-profit group Florida TaxWatch.[34] Many of those listed items were for health and social programs that Rubio has described as "the kind of thing that legislators would get attacked on if we didn't fund them."[34] A 2010 report by the Tampa Bay Times/Miami Herald said that some of Rubio’s spending requests dovetailed with his personal interests.[33] For example, Rubio requested a $20 million appropriation for Jackson Memorial Hospital to subsidize care for the poor and uninsured,[34] and Rubio later did work for that hospital as a consultant.[33] A spokesman for Rubio has said that the items in question helped the whole county, that Rubio did not lobby to get them approved, that the hospital money was necessary and non-controversial, and that Rubio is "a limited-government conservative ... not a no-government conservative".[3
3]

House speaker

On September 13, 2005, at the age of 34,[35] Rubio clinched the speakership after State Representatives Dennis Baxley, Jeff Kottkamp, and Dennis A. Ross dropped out. He was actually sworn in over a year later, in November 2006. He became the first Cuban American to be speaker of the Florida House of Representatives, and would remain speaker until November 2008.[36]

When he was chosen as future speaker in 2005, Rubio delivered a speech to the House in which he asked members to look in their desks, where they each found a hardcover book titled 100 Innovative Ideas For Florida’s Future; but the book was intentionally blank, because it had not yet been written, and Rubio told his colleagues that they would fill in the pages together with the help of ordinary Floridians.[18] In 2006, after traveling around the state and talking with citizens, and compiling their ideas, Rubio published the book.[37][38] The National Journal called this book "the centerpiece of Rubio’s early speakership".[18] About 24 of the "ideas" became law, while another 10 were partially enacted.[38] Among the items from his 2006 book that became law were multiple-year car registrations, a requirement that high schools provide more vocational courses, and an expanded voucher-like school-choice program. Rubio's defenders, and even some critics, point out that nationwide economic difficulties overlapped with much of Rubio's speakership, and so funding new legislative proposals became difficult.[18]

At the time Rubio took office as speaker, Jeb Bush was completing his term as governor, and Bush left office in January 2007. Rubio hired 18 Bush aides, leading capital insiders to say the speaker's suite was "the governor’s office in exile." An article in National Journal described Rubio's style as being very different from Bush's; where Bush was a very assertive manager of affairs in Tallahassee, the article says, Rubio's style was to delegate certain powers, relinquish others, and invite former political rivals into his inner circle.[18] As incoming speaker, he decided to open a private dining room for legislators, which he said would give members more privacy, free from being pursued by lobbyists, though the expense of doing so led to a public relations problem.[18]

In 2006, Florida enacted into law limitations upon the authority of the state government to take private property, in response to the 2005 Supreme Court decision in Kelo v. City of New London which took a broad view of governmental power to take private property under eminent domain. This state legislation had been proposed by a special committee chaired by Rubio prior to his speakership.[39]

Jeb Bush's successor as governor was Charlie Crist, a moderate Republican who took office in January 2007. Rubio and Crist clashed frequently. Their sharpest clash involved the governor's initiative to expand casino gambling in Florida. Rubio sued Crist for bypassing the Florida Legislature in order to make a deal with the Seminole Tribe. The Florida Supreme Court sided with Rubio and blocked the deal.[40][41]

Rubio also was a critic of Crist's efforts to fight climate change through an executive order creating new automobile and utility emissions standards. Rubio accused Crist of imposing "European-style big government mandates," and the legislature under Rubio's leadership weakened the impact of Crist's climate change initiative.[18][41]

Rubio introduced a plan to reduce state property taxes to 2001 levels (and potentially eliminate them altogether), while increasing sales taxes by 1% to 2.5% to fund schools. The proposal would have reduced property taxes in the state by $40–50 billion. His proposal passed the House, but was opposed by Governor Crist and Florida Senate Republicans, who said that the increase in sales tax would disproportionately affect the poor. So, Rubio agreed to smaller changes, and Crist's proposal to double the state's property tax exemption from $25,000 to $50,000 (for a tax reduction estimated by Crist to be $33 billion) ultimately passed.[18][39][42] Legislators called it the largest tax cut in Florida's history up until then.[39][43] At the time, Republican anti-tax activist Grover Norquist described Rubio as "the most pro-taxpayer legislative leader in the country."[42]

As speaker, Rubio "aggressively tried to push Florida to the political right," according to NBC News, and frequently clashed with the Florida Senate, which was run by more moderate Republicans, and with then-Governor Charlie Crist, a centrist Republican at the time.[41] Although a conservative, "behind the scenes many Democrats considered Rubio someone with whom they could work," according to biographer Manuel Roig-Franzia.[44] Dan Gelber of Miami, the House Democratic leader at the time of Rubio's speakership, considered him "a true conservative" but not "a reflexive partisan," saying: "He didn't have an objection to working with the other side simply because they were the other side. To put it bluntly, he wasn't a jerk."[45] Gelber considered Rubio "a severe conservative, really far to the right, but probably the most talented spokesman the severe right could ever hope for."[41]

While Speaker of the Florida House, Rubio shared a residence with another Florida State Representative, David Rivera, which the two co-owned in Tallahassee. The house went into foreclosure in June 2010, after five months of missed mortgage payments.[46] At that point, Rubio assumed responsibility for the payments, and the house was sold in June 2015.[47][48]

In 2010 during Rubio's senate campaign, and again in 2015 during his presidential campaign, issues were raised by the media and his political opponents about some items charged by Rubio to his Republican Party of Florida American Express card during his time as House speaker.[49][50][51] Rubio charged about $110,000 during those two years, of which $16,000 was personal expenses unrelated to party business, such as groceries and plane tickets.[52] Rubio said that he personally paid American Express more than $16,000 for these personal expenses.[53][54] In 2012, the Florida Commission on Ethics cleared Rubio of wrongdoing in his use of the party-issued credit card, although the commission inspector said that Rubio exhibited a "level of negligence" in not using his personal MasterCard.[55][56] In November 2015, Rubio released his party credit card statements for January 2005 through October 2006, which showed eight personal charges totaling $7,243.74, all of which he had personally reimbursed, in most instances by the next billing period.[51][52][57] When releasing the charge records, Rubio spokesman Todd Harris said, "These statements are more than 10 years old. And the only people who ask about them today are the liberal media and our political opponents. We are releasing them now because Marco has nothing to hide."[51]

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #71 on: November 15, 2015, 07:42:11 pm »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #72 on: November 16, 2015, 03:16:12 am »
mass wrote above:
"I just don't know what has come over the Trumpeteers."

Dey all be pumpkin heads!

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #73 on: November 16, 2015, 06:49:16 am »
Totally agree. I was sure after the first debate's performance that he was toast. I thought his performance was abysmal and yet his poll numbers went up. After watching the video of his attacks on Carson I said finally it will be over and it appears not to be the case. Although I will vote for him if he is the nominee, I find Trump to be the least appealing candidate I have ever encountered. His persona is a total turn-off for me especially in the role of someone seeking the highest office in the land while boasting of bankruptcies and disparaging people for the looks and heritage. He just lacks any class at all. And yet some of the finest posters here support him enthusiastically. It is so baffling. The worst part is that if he were the nominee I fear the worst trouncing our party has seen in decades. There is just too many videos of Trump insulting individuals or groups. Also with his tendencies to go off on rants, he would be destroyed in a general election.
I think his appeal is that of a "strong man" in part like Putin. Never mind what political philosophy.

Insult native born Hispanic citizens, no problem if the Donald does it. Take property with eminent domain, for rich developers. No problem if the Donald does it.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline aligncare

« Reply #74 on: November 16, 2015, 12:24:01 pm »

Millions of legal, first and second-generation immigrants will vote for Trump.