Author Topic: How the Missouri football team just took down its university president  (Read 2584 times)

Offline musiclady

Re: How the Missouri football team just took down its university president
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2015, 10:49:37 pm »
More than enough.  32 boycotting, but there are 85 players on full scholarship, up to 105 on the roster depending on how many walk-on players paying their own schooling.

Yet, in a surprise to no one, the coddled special little flowers get their way.

A very, VERY dangerous precedent.    This definitely won't end here, since there are coddled little flowers on campuses all over the country.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2015, 10:53:02 pm »
This wouldn't have happened if the cowardly coach hadn't backed up the players on strike.  If he told them they risked suspension if they didn't play, and then followed through, that would have been the end of it.

And let the silly little grad student starve.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2015, 11:21:55 pm »
Rush predicted first thing today in his opening that now that the left has seen what controlling a college's football program can achieve, they won't stop at calling for a person's removal.

Football is worth millions of $$$ to universities.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Carling

« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2015, 01:01:15 am »
This wouldn't have happened if the cowardly coach hadn't backed up the players on strike.  If he told them they risked suspension if they didn't play, and then followed through, that would have been the end of it.

And let the silly little grad student starve.

If he didn't stand with them, he's called a racist and his recruiting pool will be comprised of whites, Mormons, and Somoans.  I agree it was cowardly of him, but he really didn't have a choice if he wanted to stay coaching in the SEC.
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2015, 01:15:19 am »
As I stated previously in this thread:
White cowards.

The president should have stood his ground.
He should have -forced- the board to terminate him -- and then turn around and sue the university.

Is that coach a cracker, too?
Another one with jelly in his guts.
And this guy is supposed to be a football coach?

This incident sets a precedent which is gonna snowball -- wait and see.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2015, 01:25:53 am »
If he didn't stand with them, he's called a racist and his recruiting pool will be comprised of whites, Mormons, and Somoans.  I agree it was cowardly of him, but he really didn't have a choice if he wanted to stay coaching in the SEC.

Since when do a bunch of semi-literates get to run the university?  I really don't care because the colleges created the diversity monster and they are getting burned by it.  They deserve this.

As for the coach, he will never have full control of that team again.  Ever.

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2015, 02:06:24 am »
The president should have stood his ground.
He should have -forced- the board to terminate him -- and then turn around and sue the university.

He was probably negotiating a nice golden parachute with the Board over the weekend so that he didn't have to do that.

There is an incentive for the Board not to endure a lawsuit plus the president gets paid and rides off into the sunset.

That's how these things usually work...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2015, 02:23:20 am »
He was probably negotiating a nice golden parachute with the Board over the weekend so that he didn't have to do that.
I have no doubt he rode off with a big bag of money. That's the way things "work" in academia.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Paladin

« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2015, 02:27:33 am »
"Missouri protest: List of demands issued to university

"excerpt:
I. We demand that the University of Missouri System President, Tim Wolfe, writes a handwritten apology to the Concerned Student 1-­9-­5-0 demonstrators and holds a press conference in the Mizzou Student Center reading the letter. In the letter and at the press conference, Tim Wolfe must acknowledge his white male privilege, recognize that systems of oppression exist, and provide a verbal commitment to fulfilling Concerned Student 1-9-5-­0 demands. We want Tim Wolfe to admit to his gross negligence, allowing his driver to hit one of the demonstrators, consenting to the physical violence of bystanders, and lastly refusing to intervene when Columbia Police Department used excessive force with demonstrators."

"Under some systems of communism, party members who had fallen out of favour with the nomenklatura were sometimes forced to undergo "self-criticism" sessions, producing either written or verbal statements detailing their ideological errors and affirming their renewed belief in the Party line. Self-criticism, however, did not guarantee political rehabilitation, and often offenders were still expelled from the Party, or in some cases even executed."

Years ago, 1969 to be exact, black students at Cornell seized one of the campus buildings "to protest Cornell's perceived racism, its judicial system and its slow progress in establishing a black studies program." Soon the occupiers armed themselves for what they claimed was needed protection from the police and campus groups threatening them.

Just as in Missouri today the administration caved to black demands and "the AAS students emerged from the Straight carrying rifles and wearing bandoleers."

Cornell has never been the same. At the time it had one of the most outstanding Political Science Depts in the nation but its top flight faculty left because they recognized the admin would not stand up to the mob. "Although physical disaster was averted, deep psychological scars burned into the minds of many on campus. Four decades later, feelings in some quarters are still raw. The university as a bastion of reasoned argument, thoughtful debate and academic freedom seemed to be under siege. Relationships among faculty members were destroyed. Students were torn. An atmosphere of pervasive fear and anxiety gripped the campus and the nation. The AAS students were not punished, outraging some faculty members, students and alumni."

UM has just set itself up for a similar outcome.
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2015, 02:30:18 am »
I have no doubt he rode off with a big bag of money. That's the way things "work" in academia.

That's how things 'work' in the big leagues... not just in academia.  In business, government, religion, etc, etc, etc...

The big boyz always get theirs... acting on principle is seen as destructive... heck, we even get that aroun' here...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2015, 02:32:55 am »
Rush predicted first thing today in his opening that now that the left has seen what controlling a college's football program can achieve, they won't stop at calling for a person's removal.

Football is worth millions of $$$ to universities.
Yes, but most of that $$$ is locked into long-term contracts with ESPN and CBS. They keep paying until 2027. There's not much either network can do to revoke that—and the NCAA, unlike the NFL, actually enforces the rules it sets!
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2015, 02:38:47 am »
Parents vote with their money and most can't be happy with this bowing to a bunch of semi-literates.

If Missourians send their kids to UM after this, then they're ready for their kids to remain babies into adulthood.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2015, 02:54:11 am »
Parents vote with their money and most can't be happy with this bowing to a bunch of semi-literates.

If Missourians send their kids to UM after this, then they're ready for their kids to remain babies into adulthood.
I'm hoping the alumni also vote with their money - and tell the institutional advancement office that the tap has run dry.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2015, 02:59:22 am »
I'm hoping the alumni also vote with their money - and tell the institutional advancement office that the tap has run dry.

Very good point. Alumni investors can't like this kind of negative attention.

When is the last time Missouri finished in the top 20 in football?  I can't remember........

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2015, 03:48:34 am »
Very good point. Alumni investors can't like this kind of negative attention.

When is the last time Missouri finished in the top 20 in football?  I can't remember........

If it were my school, and thank God it's not, small blessings, my support and even my membership in the alumni association would be over. I have a suspicion that A LOT of interference is being run right now by university staff...and I'd also guess that it is less than successful at the moment.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline Paladin

« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2015, 06:41:35 am »
"Mizzou And Yale Show Why It’s Time To Burn Universities To The Ground"

An excellent and highly recommended read on the state of our universities today using the situations at Mizzou and Yale as examples.

Closing paragraphs:

"The universities have done this to themselves. They created the whole phenomenon of modern identity politics and Politically Correct rules to limit speech. They have fostered a totalitarian microculture in which conformity to those rules is considered natural and expected. Now that system is starting to eat them alive, from elite universities like Yale, all the way down to, er, less-than-elite ones like Mizzou.

They created this Frankenstein monster, and it’s up to them to kill it before it kills them."

http://thefederalist.com/2015/11/09/mizzou-and-yale-show-why-its-time-to-burn-the-universities-to-the-ground/
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Offline Paladin

« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2015, 07:10:26 am »
Just damn.

"The Obama administration is praising protesters who successfully forced University of Missouri President Tim Wolfe to announce his resignation.

White House Press Secretary Josh Earnest praised the group of protesters for rallying together and demanding change, pointing out that Obama’s first presidential campaign was embodied by the same spirit.

“I think this also illustrates something that the president talked a lot about in the context of – in his campaign, that a few people speaking up and speaking out can have a profound impact on the communities where we live and work,” he said during the daily press briefing today.

The group of students accused Wolfe of enabling “a culture of racism” on campus and ignoring student concerns about recent events. Wolfe resigned after members of the college football team joined the protests, saying they wouldn’t suit up for the next game.

“That’s the kind of dialogue and work and unity that the Mizzou community is going to need to make progress on this issue,” Earnest said, in reaction to the decision calling it “a testament to the courage of the people on campus.”

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/11/09/white-house-praises-protestors-forcing-university-missouri-president-step/

Offline Carling

« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2015, 07:34:42 am »
Since when do a bunch of semi-literates get to run the university?  I really don't care because the colleges created the diversity monster and they are getting burned by it.  They deserve this.

As for the coach, he will never have full control of that team again.  Ever.

Semi-literates have been running higher education since the 1950s.
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline aligncare

« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2015, 08:20:33 am »
Just damn.

"The Obama administration is praising protesters who successfully forced University of Missouri President Tim Wolfe to announce his resignation.

White House Press Secretary Josh Earnest praised the group of protesters for rallying together and demanding change, pointing out that Obama’s first presidential campaign was embodied by the same spirit.

“I think this also illustrates something that the president talked a lot about in the context of – in his campaign, that a few people speaking up and speaking out can have a profound impact on the communities where we live and work,” he said during the daily press briefing today.

The group of students accused Wolfe of enabling “a culture of racism” on campus and ignoring student concerns about recent events. Wolfe resigned after members of the college football team joined the protests, saying they wouldn’t suit up for the next game.

“That’s the kind of dialogue and work and unity that the Mizzou community is going to need to make progress on this issue,” Earnest said, in reaction to the decision calling it “a testament to the courage of the people on campus.”

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/11/09/white-house-praises-protestors-forcing-university-missouri-president-step/

It's curious that Obama has never chosen a black press secretary. It would be fun exploring the social, political and psychological aspects of that question. A press secretary is an extension of a president, yet Obama selected a white man to represent his agenda, I'm sure quite deliberately.

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2015, 12:54:06 pm »
Semi-literates have been running higher education since the 1950s.

THAT is something I have tangled over with my liberal brother-in-law for years.  He reveres all things dressed in scholarly robes, particularly if they espouse leftist dogma.  Somehow, it is in his DNA that those sitting on their perches overlooking higher institutions of learning must be correct.  I, on the other hand, refer to those people (in a general sense Vic) as pseudo-intellectuals which infuriates the b-i-l.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2015, 12:55:16 pm »
As for Missouri - the so-called "adults" created and allowed this mess.
John Steinbeck

Offline Paladin

« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2015, 12:40:24 am »
The pointy headed Liberals who run our universities haven't created this mess on their own. Ben Shapiro at Breitbart has written an interesting piece on the situation at Mizzou entitled, "Seven Lessons from the University of Missouri Debacle". Here he relates the response of the rough and tough, law and order Republican leaders of MO.

"Republicans Are Cowards. It’s not just Democrats embracing the suck. Senator Sen. Roy Blunt (R-MO)tweeted, “Racism has no place in our society,” and then added that he hoped “that the students, faculty, campus leadership and the University of Missouri System will have an open and meaningful dialogue that will become an example for the MU System campuses, the state and country.” Republican Rep. Caleb Jones of Columbia stated, “The lack of leadership Mizzou has been dealing with for months has finally reached the point of becoming a national embarrassment. It’s time for a change in leadership and start the healing process.” Rep. Steve Cookson (R-Poplar Bluff) joined Jones in calling for Wolfe’s ouster. Lieutenant Governor Peter Kinder said he wanted student concerns to be heard, but added tepidly, “our universities cannot be run by individuals’ making demands or using extreme actions.”

This is why Republicans lose. Republicans who fail to label a shakedown a shakedown shouldn’t be expected to stand up against the brutal narrative barrage from the left."

The entire piece: http://www.breitbart.com/racism/2015/11/09/seven-lessons-university-missouri-debacle/
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 12:42:53 am by Paladin »

Offline aligncare

« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2015, 12:49:06 am »
The pointy headed Liberals who run our universities haven't created this mess on their own. Ben Shapiro at Breitbart has written an interesting piece on the situation at Mizzou entitled, "Seven Lessons from the University of Missouri Debacle". Here he relates the response of the rough and tough, law and order Republican leaders of MO.

"Republicans Are Cowards. It’s not just Democrats embracing the suck. Senator Sen. Roy Blunt (R-MO)tweeted, “Racism has no place in our society,” and then added that he hoped “that the students, faculty, campus leadership and the University of Missouri System will have an open and meaningful dialogue that will become an example for the MU System campuses, the state and country.” Republican Rep. Caleb Jones of Columbia stated, “The lack of leadership Mizzou has been dealing with for months has finally reached the point of becoming a national embarrassment. It’s time for a change in leadership and start the healing process.” Rep. Steve Cookson (R-Poplar Bluff) joined Jones in calling for Wolfe’s ouster. Lieutenant Governor Peter Kinder said he wanted student concerns to be heard, but added tepidly, “our universities cannot be run by individuals’ making demands or using extreme actions.”

This is why Republicans lose. Republicans who fail to label a shakedown a shakedown shouldn’t be expected to stand up against the brutal narrative barrage from the left."

The entire piece: http://www.breitbart.com/racism/2015/11/09/seven-lessons-university-missouri-debacle/

Yep. Political correctness. Comes in all political persuasions...and just as deadly to the health of society.

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #48 on: November 11, 2015, 01:14:51 am »
Unless I have missed something, I cannot believe the cowardice displayed in this nonsense. My dad would smack me.
John Steinbeck

rangerrebew

« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2015, 11:13:17 am »
Mizzou students 'operating like the Black Panthers'
'What we've witnessed is a racial, totalitarian hostage taking'
Published: 7 hours ago

A prominent group of black conservatives is slamming University of Missouri students, faculty, coaches and administrators for facilitating the campus upheaval that unfolded there this week.

Black students have been protesting what they consider administration indifference to alleged racial incidents, including a drunken student hurling racial epithets at black students and a fecal swastika allegedly smeared on a bathroom wall.

The issue cranked up to new heights in recent days when the university’s football team threatened to boycott the rest of the season if protesters’ demands were not met, and the specter of millions in lost revenues became very real. On Monday, University of Missouri President Tim Wolfe announced his immediate resignation. Chancellor R. Bowen Loftin soon revealed he would step down at the end of the academic year.

Wolfe said he hoped his resignation could spark some healing on campus, but Project 21 Conservative Black Leadership Network Co-Chair Horace Cooper told WND and Radio America it will do just the opposite.

“This isn’t going to provide healing. This is appeasement,” Cooper said. “In fact, what we’ve witnessed is a racial, totalitarian hostage taking. We have watched folks who are making demands based on unreasonable offenses that they have identified and that is predicated on a lie – the Michael Brown ‘Hands Up, Don’t Shoot’ story.”

He finds it baffling that Wolfe ever felt compelled to step down.

“The president of the university is no more responsible for any perceived slights and real or unfair injustices that any students have committed, any more than President Obama is responsible for what happened with the shooting that took place in Charleston,” he said.

Cooper said the demand for safe spaces and students refusing to hear ideas contrary to their own turns the concept of higher education on its head.

“It’s not just where you get your education. It’s not just what equips you with the skills for the future,” Cooper said. “It is, conceptually, the kind of place where you first are exposed to this idea: In life, you are going to be exposed to concepts, thoughts and opinions that you do not like, that you do not prefer and that offend you.”

He said the American way of responding to hostile ideas is to find ways to live with those who hold them or enter into a debate of ideas. On this front, he said the coaches and faculty at Missouri crashed and burned.

“The coaches didn’t encourage them to do this, and neither did the faculty members,” Cooper said. “This entire fiasco tells us everything about how the modern university is no longer living up to its responsibilities.”

Listen to the WND/Radio America interview with Horace Cooper:

He said the next president ought to have stern words for football coach Gary Pinkel and his staff for supporting the player boycott.

"I would make sure that this cancer stops where it is," he said. "It would start with telling the athletic department leadership team that when their contracts are over, they're not going to be renewed under any circumstances, and they might as well start looking for a job now.

"Second, I would issue a memorandum to all faculty members that there is now a new requirement before you can get tenure. You are going to have to show a commitment to tolerance, to the idea that people can have different perspectives and views," he added.

But it's not just the coaches who would get a tongue-lashing from Cooper. He would also have a clear message to the striking players.

"You signed an agreement that you would accept a scholarship to attend here predicated on you playing. If you're refusing to play, then you're going to have to be responsible for all the financial costs of attending here. Secondly, we recruited a back-up player for every person in the event of injury. We're going to go to the next game, and we're going to play without you. We might lose, but we're going to play without you," said Cooper, who believes the vast majority of players would drop the protest and suit up to keep their scholarships.

The tactics of the protest leaders also infuriate Cooper.

"They are operating far more like the Black Panthers than they are any kind of student group," he said.

As evidence, Cooper pointed to protester demands that the next university president be selected by a panel with a majority of minorities. They also want a special commission established to address racial or other troubling issues that arise that would be comprised of a majority of minority students, faculty members and people from the community.

Cooper hopes other schools are watching Missouri and learning what not to do.

"If this cancer is not cut off now," he said, "it is only going to metastasize."

Read more at http://www.wnd.com/2015/11/mizzou-students-operating-like-the-black-panthers/#eRyHJPWGjJqMr6qA.99