Author Topic: Letter from RNC Chairman Reince Priebus to NBC News  (Read 6981 times)

Offline Lando Lincoln

Letter from RNC Chairman Reince Priebus to NBC News
« on: October 30, 2015, 06:14:39 pm »
Letter from RNC Chairman Reince Priebus to NBC News

Mr. Andrew Lack
 Chairman, NBC News
 30 Rockefeller Plaza
 New York, New York 10112

Dear Mr. Lack,

I write to inform you that pending further discussion between the Republican National Committee (RNC) and our presidential campaigns, we are suspending the partnership with NBC News for the Republican primary debate at the University of Houston on February 26, 2016. The RNC’s sole role in the primary debate process is to ensure that our candidates are given a full and fair opportunity to lay out their vision for America’s future. We simply cannot continue with NBC without full consultation with our campaigns.

The CNBC network is one of your media properties, and its handling of the debate was conducted in bad faith. We understand that NBC does not exercise full editorial control over CNBC’s journalistic approach. However, the network is an arm of your organization, and we need to ensure there is not a repeat performance.

CNBC billed the debate as one that would focus on “the key issues that matter to all voters—job growth, taxes, technology, retirement and the health of our national economy.”  That was not the case. Before the debate, the candidates were promised an opening question on economic or financial matters. That was not the case. Candidates were promised that speaking time would be carefully monitored to ensure fairness. That was not the case.  Questions were inaccurate or downright offensive. The first question directed to one of our candidates asked if he was running a comic book version of a presidential campaign, hardly in the spirit of how the debate was billed.

While debates are meant to include tough questions and contrast candidates’ visions and policies for the future of America, CNBC’s moderators engaged in a series of “gotcha” questions, petty and mean-spirited in tone, and designed to embarrass our candidates. What took place Wednesday night was not an attempt to give the American people a greater understanding of our candidates’ policies and ideas.

I have tremendous respect for the First Amendment and freedom of the press. However, I also expect the media to host a substantive debate on consequential issues important to Americans. CNBC did not.

While we are suspending our partnership with NBC News and its properties, we still fully intend to have a debate on that day, and will ensure that National Review remains part of it.

I will be working with our candidates to discuss how to move forward and will be in touch.

Sincerely,

Reince Priebus
Chairman, Republican National Committee

https://gop.com/nbc-letter/
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Re: Letter from RNC Chairman Reince Priebus to NBC News
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 06:51:06 pm »
This kind of thing has been going on forever in GOP debates (Candy Crowley?).  The difference now is that the CANDIDATES are fighting back!  Trump, Cruz, Carson, Rubio - and others are putting their feet down and the public supports them.  Priebus has to do something or the candidates will go on strike.  This is what Romney failed to do.  Say what you want about Trump - but he led the effort when he initiated a boycott of the CNBC debate over the 3 hour format, etc. 

THIS is how you get things done - don't back down now GOP!

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline musiclady

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 06:52:41 pm »
Reince is being forced to do this.  He wouldn't do a thing to stop it on his own.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2015, 06:55:05 pm »
Reince is being forced to do this.  He wouldn't do a thing to stop it on his own.

Trying to stave off out right open rebellion!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2015, 07:00:52 pm »
Very tepid letter with a lot of "well maybe" type language.  Still, I like it.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 09:25:29 pm by Lando Lincoln »
John Steinbeck

Offline flowers

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2015, 07:52:04 pm »
Yep!  No way a grew a pair.

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2015, 08:42:12 pm »

Well, the GOP will back down ASAP... it's the candidates who need encouragement... THEY are the ones getting things done... not the GOP...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline Longiron

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2015, 09:15:58 pm »
Yep!  No way a grew a pair.

RNC POed because Bushie did not get enough questions? IF TRUMP, CARSON, CRUZ do their own debate and do not invite BUSHIE the RINOGOP is done. Will RUBIO show up If they do this? The RNC is tying to stop an attempt by the SERIOUS candidates to do there own debate. The RNC wants to stay revelent and they CREATED this and who ever labeled them "The Party of STUPID" nailed it. :silly:

http://therightscoop.com/cnbc-says-rnc-officials-went-to-them-during-the-debate-and-asked-them-to-give-jeb-more-time/
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 04:25:40 pm by Longiron »

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2015, 09:25:30 pm »
The RNC wants to stay revelent and they CREATED this and who ever labeled them "The Party of STUPID" nailed it.

Eh... they aren't 'stoopid'... they do it deliberately...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2015, 09:25:56 pm »
RNC POed because Bushie did not get enough questions? IF TRUMP, CARSON, CRUZ do their own debate and do not invite BUSHIE the RINOGOP is done. Will RUBIO show up If they do this? The RNC is tying to stop an attempt by the SERIOUS candidates to do there own debate. The RNC wants to stay revelent and they CREATED this and who ever labeled them "The Party of STUPID" nailed it. :silly:

The RNC PAYS for these debates.  Did you know that?  The campaigns are not going to pay for them.  So the RNC will be involved, unless Trump wants to pay for the next one.

Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2015, 01:25:34 am »
sinkspur wrote:
"The RNC PAYS for these debates.  Did you know that?  The campaigns are not going to pay for them.  So the RNC will be involved, unless Trump wants to pay for the next one."

You know, that's a very good idea.

Let Trump (with help from at least some of the other candidates) hire Mark Levin, Rush Limbaugh and Michael Savage to be moderators, buy some TV time, and perhaps we can have a REAL debate about the future of the Republican party and conservatism put before the American people!

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2015, 01:47:59 am »
sinkspur wrote:
"The RNC PAYS for these debates.  Did you know that?  The campaigns are not going to pay for them.  So the RNC will be involved, unless Trump wants to pay for the next one."

You know, that's a very good idea.

Let Trump (with help from at least some of the other candidates) hire Mark Levin, Rush Limbaugh and Michael Savage to be moderators, buy some TV time, and perhaps we can have a REAL debate about the future of the Republican party and conservatism put before the American people!

I love that idea.  It would be amazing to watch!

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2015, 03:31:51 am »
Maybe so, but whatever the reason, this is a good thing and deserves some praise if only from a lowly RINO.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2015, 01:25:55 pm »
Maybe so, but whatever the reason, this is a good thing and deserves some praise if only from a lowly RINO.

Absolutely.

(But you have to remember that I'm one of the people who thinks the term "RINO" is ridiculously overused, so I'd never call you that.   :patriot: )
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2015, 01:32:12 pm »
Absolutely.

(But you have to remember that I'm one of the people who thinks the term "RINO" is ridiculously overused, so I'd never call you that.   :patriot: )

Agreed!  At most, I'd respectably call him "our RINO" (that may be the first time I have ever used it).  :patriot:
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 01:32:37 pm by Lando Lincoln »
John Steinbeck

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2015, 02:38:04 pm »
This kind of thing has been going on forever in GOP debates (Candy Crowley?).  The difference now is that the CANDIDATES are fighting back!  Trump, Cruz, Carson, Rubio - and others are putting their feet down and the public supports them.  Priebus has to do something or the candidates will go on strike.  This is what Romney failed to do.  Say what you want about Trump - but he led the effort when he initiated a boycott of the CNBC debate over the 3 hour format, etc. 

Did you listen to the post debate interview Trump did with CNBC minutes after the debate ended? I was expecting him to rant and rave about  hostile  line of questioning like several of the other candidates did during the debate, but he did not. Instead he gave the CNBC high praises, even saying the debate was fun, and he enjoyed it.
If I did not watch, and that was the only editorial I heard about the event, I would had thought it was the best of the three debates so far.   Trump would have been better served and maybe pick up a little respect from me, if he would be honest, and said, "Listen, you are getting no interview from me, and I would not blame any of the other candidates for also just walking out - that was a horribly run debate, the worse I seen ever, have a nice day.",

A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2015, 02:44:19 pm »
Agreed!  At most, I'd respectably call him "our RINO" (that may be the first time I have ever used it).  :patriot:

I call em like I see um!  Always have and always will.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2015, 02:46:20 pm »
Did you listen to the post debate interview Trump did with CNBC minutes after the debate ended? I was expecting him to rant and rave about  hostile  line of questioning like several of the other candidates did during the debate, but he did not. Instead he gave the CNBC high praises, even saying the debate was fun, and he enjoyed it.
If I did not watch, and that was the only editorial I heard about the event, I would had thought it was the best of the three debates so far.   Trump would have been better served and maybe pick up a little respect from me, if he would be honest, and said, "Listen, you are getting no interview from me, and I would not blame any of the other candidates for also just walking out - that was a horribly run debate, the worse I seen ever, have a nice day.",

Could that possibly be because Trump really doesn't WANT to talk about anything substantive?

Naw! That's just me letting my mind wander!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2015, 02:50:08 pm »

Like I said, he led the effort and got results in that they cut the debate from 3 to 2 hours.  Didn't watch later.  Trump is mellowing from being so bombastic - but you can't ever say one single positive thing about him.  I think he has contributed a lot of good things to this election - but again, you can't think of a single good thing to say about a guy that has been the front-runner for the whole race.   **nononono*

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2015, 03:00:17 pm »
Like I said, he led the effort and got results in that they cut the debate from 3 to 2 hours.  Didn't watch later.  Trump is mellowing from being so bombastic - but you can't ever say one single positive thing about him.  I think he has contributed a lot of good things to this election - but again, you can't think of a single good thing to say about a guy that has been the front-runner for the whole race.   **nononono*

Much like the many here that can't say a positive thing about Paul Ryan.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2015, 03:02:41 pm »

Ryan has a brilliant mind and he is ethical.  I will give him a chance.  I will not condemn him before his family's pictures are on his new desk.
John Steinbeck

Offline libertybele

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2015, 03:03:22 pm »
Let's see...Reince has been the longest serving chairman of the RNC.  He is a RINO. I haven't contributed to the RNC since he was elected as he has done absolutely nothing to benefit conservatives.  Perhaps he's realizing that the GOPe is in trouble and there is no denying the Bush is slipping in the polls.  If it weren't for Trump and Carson demanding a shorter debate time and Cruz calling out the moderators for attacking the candidates to demean the Republican party; Reince would continue to do nothing.

As for Bush.  I'm afraid he's in for the long haul.  He's simply waiting in the background waiting for other candidates who don't have his kind of money to drop out.  He is nothing more than a despicable RINO and his last debate performance spoke volumes.  He was the only one that seemed to be on the "attack" of the other candidates. He certainly isn't climbing in the polls on his record that's for sure..pitiful.  Absolutely pitiful.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2015, 03:06:02 pm »
Ryan has a brilliant mind and he is ethical.  I will give him a chance.  I will not condemn him before his family's pictures are on his new desk.

Seems to me we have no choice other than to give him a chance at this point.

We'll see but I, for one, ain't gonna hold my breath.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 03:09:49 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline libertybele

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2015, 03:10:00 pm »

No choice now but to give Ryan a chance, but at this point, what's there positive to say about Ryan?  His record speaks for itself:

Ryan at a Glance

Rep. Paul Ryan was elected to the House of Representatives in 1998.  Since his arrival in the House, he has been regarded by many as a rising star in a new generation of conservatives.  However, his voting record as well as behind-the-scenes backing of an establishment agenda, reveals that he is one of the more moderate members of the House Republican Conference.

Before he ran for office, Ryan worked for Republicans Sen. Bob Kasten and Rep. Jack Kemp. He joined Empower America, a think-tank formed by Rep. Kemp and William Bennett, and became legislative director for Kansas Senator Sam Brownback. He then went home to Wisconsin where he won a seat in the House of Representatives at the age of 28. (National Journal)

Ryan positioned himself as a leading conservative voice on fiscal and economic issues during his tenure as chairman of the House Budget Committee. His budget plan, the Path to Prosperity, “called for freezing most domestic spending for five years and repealing the economic stimulus law in the course of cutting spending more than $6 trillion over 10 years, shrinking federal spending as a percentage of the economy to its lowest level since 1949.” (National Journal) The plan proved controversial with Democrats and the media, who took particular issue with the budget’s plan to eventually replace Medicare with a subsidy that used free market forces to drive down the cost while raising the level of care. (National Journal)

In the wake of his budget passing the House and promoting a more conservative roadmap for the nation’s fiscal future, Ryan was chosen by Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney as his running mate. Ryan was selected with the goal of brining a more conservative approach to balance out Romney’s moderate policies, and provide a more youthful demeanor to challenge President Obama, despite Ryan’s voting record. (Washington Post) While the ticket lost in the general election, Ryan was viewed as an asset to Romney’s efforts, providing substance on the campaign trail, reaching out to conservatives while staying loyal to Romney’s talking points.

After the election, Ryan returned to the House and pursued what was supposed to be a more pragmatic approach to policy, that moved Ryan closer to the center.  He said that the presidential election reminded him that "[t]he Electoral College matters. That's what I learned." (National Journal) Ryan seemed to be increasingly concerned with creating a more geographically broad base for Republicans and his voting record tracked more to the middle.  In December 2013, he helped broker a budget deal with liberal Senator Patty Murray that repealed one of the key conservative victories under President Obama’s reign—the sequester budget caps that helped keep spending in check. The Ryan-Murray budget increased fees, and claimed to reduce the deficit in the final years of the 10-year plan, making it unlikely that said reductions would ever be realized. (FreedomWorks) Simplified, Ryan-Murray was trading real spending cuts occurring at the time, for increased spending and spending cuts in future years, which are unlikely to materialize.

In the 114th Congress, Rep. Ryan became chairman of the powerful House Ways and Means Committee, where he plans to “fix the tax code, hold the I-R-S [sic] accountable, strengthen Medicare and Social Security, repair the safety net, promote job-creating trade agreements, and determine how best to repeal and replace Obama-care with patient-centered solutions." (The Drive FM) He has announced that he would not run for president in 2016, choosing instead to devote his efforts in the House to leading the Ways and Means Committee. (FoxNews)

Reflecting his recent move toward the political center, Rep. Ryan has earned a poor Liberty Score.

There can be no doubt that some of Ryan’s prominent entitlement reform efforts—such as the introduction of the Medicare “premium support” proposal that garnered national attention during the 2012 election—have helped conservative solutions enter the forefront of political debate. He has similar success in landing a media spotlight on conservative welfare reform proposals, helping to jumpstart a conversation about the untenable state of spending in these areas. Nonetheless, these contributions to the mainstream dialogue do not excuse his often patently liberal votes. While championing fiscal sanity from his perch on Budget Committee, Ryan voted for an extension of unemployment benefits, for a bailout of the IMF, and several times to increase the debt limit with no discernible reductions.

In the pre-Tea Party days of Washington, Ryan quietly but firmly supported the No Child Left Behind Act, the failed big government approach to education policy, as well as the enormous Medicare prescription drug program. He opposes crony capitalism in theory, but this has not stopped him from endorsing bailouts for banks and the auto industry, as well as a failed stimulus package. He continually supports status quo transportation spending, and even led the charge in the House to make amnesty a reality.

Friendly Republicans will defend Ryan’s consistent moves to the middle as “pragmatic,” but the policy results are the same—gains for a big government agenda. (Mediaite) While Ryan may have an eye toward a more conservative governing vision, and would one day like to see that vision realized, it is a mistake to see him as an enemy of Speaker Boehner or the establishment—he simply provides no true contrast to their culture of surrender.

- See more at: https://www.conservativereview.com/members/paul-ryan/#sthash.FUopLdk4.dpuf

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2015, 03:11:42 pm »
Gee...Levin stated that Priebus needs to be fired...another person who I'm sure motivated him to get off his RINO butt and do something.

http://nation.foxnews.com/2015/10/30/mark-levin-rnc-chair-reince-priebus-should-be-fired