Author Topic: Trump, Carson threaten boycott of CNBC debate Candidates. complain of length, 'criteria'  (Read 5560 times)

rangerrebew

Trump, Carson threaten boycott of CNBC debate
Candidates complain of length, 'criteria'
Published: 56 mins ago

The two top-tier Republican candidates for president, Donald Trump and Ben Carson, who are leading the GOP pack in polls, have both sent out threats to boycott the next party primary debate set for Boulder, Colorado, on CNBC because of length and format.

“The criteria that was outlined by CNBC was never discussed with any of the candidates or the campaigns,” said Corey Lewandowski, the campaign manager for Trump, in the New York Times. “So what CNBC did was send out a memo and said, ‘Here’s the criteria as you have approved them’ and that went out to all the campaigns. We said we never agreed to this criteria.”

Get the hottest, most important news stories on the Internet – delivered FREE to your inbox as soon as they break! Take just 30 seconds and sign up for WND’s Email News Alerts!

Specifically, the candidates said the planned debate was too long. It started at two hours but then rose to three – a change in plans that Trump said was aimed at generating more advertising revenue for the network.

“It’s unfair to the viewers because it’s too much, it’s too much to watch,” Trump said, during a Fox News interview.

Carson and Trump, in a letter to CNBC Washington bureau chief Matthew Cuddy, also took issue with the failure of the debate to include opening and closing statements.

The joint letter stated, NBC News reported: “Neither of our campaigns agreed to either the length you propose or your ban on opening or closing statements. In fact, neither of our campaigns were even consulted.”

Ed Brookover, one of Carson’s campaign aides, said opening and closing statements were crucial.

“It’s the fairest way to ensure that any candidate has an opportunity to be heard both early and late in the debate and not to rely on the good graces of the moderators,” he said, referencing the CNN debate in which Gov. Chris Christie was not asked a question for 30 minutes, the Hill reported.

Brian Steel, CNBC spokesman, said the network was considering the candidates’ concerns.

“Our goal is to host the most substantive debate. Our practice in the past has been to forego opening statements to quickly address the critical issues that matter most to the American people. We started a dialogue yesterday with all of the campaigns involved and we will certainly take the candidates’ views on the format into consideration as we finalize the debate structure,” Steel said in a statement reported by NBC News.

Who do you love? Get your favorite presidential bumper sticker here! Check out WND Superstore’s mind-blowing and hilarious selection

Not all the Republican candidates see the three-hour stage event or the lack of opening and closing speaking time as a negative, however.

Carly Fiorina criticized her GOP colleagues’ concerns on Fox News, saying: “I think apparently they’re worried about answering questions for three hours. For heaven’s sake, we have 10 candidates on the stage. I don’t think three hours is too long.”

The debate is scheduled for October 28.

Read more at http://www.wnd.com/2015/10/trump-carson-threaten-boycott-of-cnbc-debate/#l1EFIALj7rJWyLLi.99

Offline NavyCanDo

At 2-hours I would watch. At 3-hours I would DVR it, and watch later fast-forwarding through commercials or stopping only on hot topics, or notable '"he said what?" moments.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline GAJohnnie

And CNBC immediately caved. Perhaps the GOP Leaders should make note of this.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
And CNBC immediately caved. Perhaps the GOP Leaders should make note of this.

The art of the deal.  Sounds like Carson has been watching and learning too.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Longiron

The art of the deal.  Sounds like Carson has been watching and learning too.

Have to add Cruz in their? It is nice to start Winning even the little things. Trump, Cruz, Carson see what happens when you fight back other than the standard RINOGOP of Caving  :amen:

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Questions posed to all:

Can you imagine Jeb Bush, Lindsey Graham, John Kasich or Chris Christie demanding -- and then GETTING -- the changes that Mr. Trump and Mr. Carson wanted?

Can you imagine those establishment guys above going after "the media" in such a manner?

This little episode demonstrates the difference between those who will push their agenda forward, and the G.O.P. milquetoasts who will lap up what the media dishes out to 'em.

It demonstrates the difference between winners.... and losers.

Online libertybele

Questions posed to all:

Can you imagine Jeb Bush, Lindsey Graham, John Kasich or Chris Christie demanding -- and then GETTING -- the changes that Mr. Trump and Mr. Carson wanted?

Can you imagine those establishment guys above going after "the media" in such a manner?

This little episode demonstrates the difference between those who will push their agenda forward, and the G.O.P. milquetoasts who will lap up what the media dishes out to 'em.

Exactly.  The RINO' have been made insignificant and shown to be incompetent by the DEMS.  It is time for the outsiders and anti-establishment  candidates to lead this country towards restoration.  Enough is enough!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Oceander

No doubt they want a ban on detailed answers that address the facts too.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Questions posed to all:

Maybe.  Or maybe MSNBC wants their viewers to see the kind of men Trump and Carson are.

One thing is certain.  Money and ratings have never held any meaning to MSNBC in the past as their daily line up of programming will attest

Donald Trump
Donald T.
Don T.
Don't
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 03:57:44 am by Once-Ler »

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
I move that we start a fund, using $ 1 from every time somebody uses RINO and any variations, for lack of imagination, creativity, specificity, political maturity and vocabulary.

The fund will help defray the site's operating costs.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online libertybele

RINO = Republican In Name Only - aka Republican establishment; a term often used to indicate those "Republicans" who vote and side with the left thereby betraying not only the Republican party, but their constituents and this country.  Typing RINO is just so much darn quicker and much simpler!  RINO has been a term used now for years.  Some interesting "facts" from Wikipedia on the term "RINO":

In 1912, former President Theodore Roosevelt, then-President William Howard Taft, and Senator Robert LaFollette fought for ideological control of the Republican Party and each denounced the other two as "not really Republican".[citation needed] The phrase Republican in name only emerged as a popular political pejorative in the 1920s, 1950s and 1980s.

The earliest known print appearance of the term RINO was in the Manchester, New Hampshire newspaper then called The Union Leader.

Bill Clinton would have been proud of what was happening on the third-floor Senate corner at the State House this week.... The Republicans were moving out and the Democrats and "RINOs" (Republicans In Name Only) were moving in.
    — John DiStaso, "Merrill Taps Scamman, Strome and a Thomson". New Hampshire Union Leader. 31 December 1992.

The word "RINO" inside a circle, with a red slash indicating negation. The "No RINOs" button design. Buttons featuring the red slash through an image of a rhinoceros were spotted in the New Hampshire State House as early as 1992. In 1993, former Marine and future California Republican Assembly President Celeste Greig distributed buttons featuring a red slash over the word RINO to express opposition to Los Angeles mayor Richard Riordan. The term came into widespread usage during subsequent election cycles....

...During Republican primary campaign season, some conservative organizations target RINO Republicans who fail to adopt their stances. National Federation of Republican Assemblies started the "RINO Hunters' Club", whom they believe to be too moderate on such issues as taxes, gun rights, and abortion. The fiscally conservative 501(c)4 organization Club for Growth invented the "RINO Watch" list to monitor "Republican office holders around the nation who have advanced egregious anti-growth, anti-freedom or anti-free market policies"; other conservative groups published similar lists...

While the term RINO is of recent coinage, the concept of being an inauthentic member of the Republican Party by not representing its more conservative faction is a recurring theme in Party history...

Other political "terms":

Blue Dog Democrat
    Boll Weevil Democrat
    Democrat In Name Only
    Half-Breed
    Nixonian
    Obama Republican
    Ripon Society
    Rockefeller Republican
    Stalwart

Perhaps rather than using RINO or GOPe, and for purposes for those in the current administration the RINO should be called Obama Republicans; and using the acronym OMREP would be much easier!  :silly:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republican_In_Name_Only

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Longiron

Questions posed to all:

Very good point! It said a lot about the TRUMP, Carson and CRUZ vs the pretenders? :beer:

Offline Longiron

I move that we start a fund, using $ 1 from every time somebody uses RINO and any variations, for lack of imagination, creativity, specificity, political maturity and vocabulary.

The fund will help defray the site's operating costs.

Have a great solution for you? Don't read or respond to the POST?  :chairbang:

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
But you are a RINO.

You vote Republican candidates (down slate, at least - and you BETTER be doing that!) despite disagreeing with the party. Since they are the ones called Republicans, and you support them (reluctantly) you are therefore the RINO here.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Oceander

But you are a RINO.

You vote Republican candidates (down slate, at least - and you BETTER be doing that!) despite disagreeing with the party. Since they are the ones called Republicans, and you support them (reluctantly) you are therefore the RINO here.

Guess that makes me one, too, as I prefer to win, not be powerless because I chose to be a martyr primping and preening on one or two extreme principles.

Offline NavyCanDo

Count me a RINO as well I guess, because I'm going to vote for the Republican ticket, even if my favorites are not on that ticket.  But until then it's my job as an electorate to have the man or women who I think will represent our party the best, and best for America get the nomination. 
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Online kevindavis007

Count me as well as a RINO...
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline sinkspur

I'm for sure a RINO as I only vote for Republicans.

Which means I won't vote for Trump in a primary.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Online kevindavis007

:amen:

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
I will vote every election, Republican from top to bottom, unless something very unusual is involved.

The Republican will simply be more close to my political philosophy and have the best chance of winning, compared to any democrat or 3rd party attention seeker.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline NavyCanDo

:amen:     He can throw out all the red meat he wants, he will never convince me he is a Republican. This "red-meat" can easily be explained in his books, on how to influence people so you can get past them and to what you really want.   
The next President in office will likely replace 1 or 2 Supreme Court Justices effecting that court for decades to come, not to mention Federal courts, court of appeals and district judges that the president appoints. We seriously need to look beyond stump-speech red meat, and think about the consciences of our decision.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 03:09:34 pm by NavyCanDo »

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Guess that makes me one, too, as I prefer to win, not be powerless because I chose to be a martyr primping and preening on one or two extreme principles.
I like your avatar, my friend.

Oceander

I like your avatar, my friend.

Thanks!  I borrowed it from a wise friend.

Online kevindavis007

:amen:     He can throw out all the red meat he wants, he will never convince me he is a Republican. This "red-meat" can easily be explained in his books, on how to influence people so you can get past them and to what you really want.   
The next President in office will likely replace 1 or 2 Supreme Court Justices effecting that court for decades to come, not to mention Federal courts, court of appeals and district judges that the president appoints. We seriously need to look beyond stump-speech red meat, and think about the consciences of our decision.

Also I would like to know the following: Will Donald Trump respect the Constitution and the process or will he be like Barack Obama bypassing Congress by doing Executive Actions??

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!

Also I would like to know the following: Will Donald Trump respect the Constitution and the process or will he be like Barack Obama bypassing Congress by doing Executive Actions??

I would damn well expect him to use EOs....if only to hear the screams and wailing of the Left.

As I've stated, IMO, the GOP House and Senate will/should have a veto proof majority.  Especially with Democrat assistance.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald