Author Topic: USF study shows police body cameras reduce use of force  (Read 195 times)

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
USF study shows police body cameras reduce use of force
« on: October 13, 2015, 02:23:38 pm »
http://www.fox13news.com/news/local-news/32567496-story

USF criminologists said a study of police body cameras revealed that they dramatically reduce the use of force. Research focused on the Orlando Police Department, where 100 officers were monitored with body cameras. In the year before they wore body cameras, the officers used force an average of 3.5 times. During the year after half of the officers started wearing body cameras, the use of force dropped more than 50 percent, from 3.5 to 1.6. "The degree and nature of the decline was pretty considerable," said Wesley Jennings, Ph.D., one of the study's three authors.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: USF study shows police body cameras reduce use of force
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 04:02:00 pm »
They also reduce false claims against the police by a ridiculous amount - I've seen the figure 80% bandied about. Removing TWO claims of the "he said, she said" variety pays for the use of the cameras for the year.

So - double reason to use them universally. Get rid of the thugs in uniform (which we all know exist) and shut up the thugs on the street. Why is using them even a question?  :shrug:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink