Author Topic: Lost breakfast cereals of the 1960s and 1970s  (Read 4197 times)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Lost breakfast cereals of the 1960s and 1970s
« on: October 09, 2015, 12:53:10 am »
http://www.metv.com/lists/lost-breakfast-cereals-of-the-1960s-and-1970s

September 28, 2015

Earlier this month, Quisp celebrated its 50th birthday. As we raised a, er, toast to that crunchy breakfast treat we began to reminisce about our other favorite cereals from the past. Cereal aisle selection, sugar content and cartoon mascots escalated in the 1960s. By the 1970s, the options for a morning bowlful were downright weird. Kellogg's, Post and General Mills waged war with their animated tigers, panthers and pilots. Paired with some Saturday morning cartoons, these cereals were a highlight of childhood. Internet demand brought Quisp back to the shelves, so perhaps there is hope for these other gone but not forgotten cereals.

Do you remember or miss any of these? Watch commercials below, too. (List, with commercial videos, at the link.)
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline PzLdr

Re: Lost breakfast cereals of the 1960s and 1970s
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2015, 03:40:29 am »
When I was a teenager, we'd go up to the Parish Church when they had a wedding, and throw Puffed Rice. Started vicious rumors...
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Online NavyCanDo

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 06:19:04 pm »

Quisp and Quake, and Captain Crunch all favorites of mine in the 1960s were pretty much the same cereal, with the same flavor, just shaped differently and marketed differently.   I still buy Captain Crunch once in awhile, along with Cocoa Puffs, in hopes by child would learn to like them being breakfast is his most difficult meal.  But I end up eating them myself.  He will eat no cereal, and none of the traditional breakfast like pancakes, waffles, French toast, etc.   

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-sTnm_aPBY
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 06:28:48 pm »
Maltex.

It was amazing.

A cinnamon brown sugar oatmeal that had the spices infused in the oats...never recall seeing a tablespoon of granules going into the bowl with today's flavored oatmeals for the microwave.

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2015, 06:30:40 pm »

never mind!   It's at freaking WalMart.    :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2015, 07:01:48 pm »
Quisp and Quake, and Captain Crunch all favorites of mine in the 1960s were pretty much the same cereal, with the same flavor, just shaped differently and marketed differently.   I still buy Captain Crunch once in awhile, along with Cocoa Puffs, in hopes by child would learn to like them being breakfast is his most difficult meal.  But I end up eating them myself.  He will eat no cereal, and none of the traditional breakfast like pancakes, waffles, French toast, etc.   

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-sTnm_aPBY

I'm dating myself, but I remember that commercial from way back when ads were 60 seconds long. And if I'm not mistaken, this particular spot appears to have been produced by the Rankin-Bass animation studio (the source of numerous Christmas cartoon specials).
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 07:33:52 pm »
Here's a clown commercial for Post's Sugar Rice Krinkles, c. 1960:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2vBJt1iG60

We weren't big sugar junkies, but Rice Krinkles was one of the few sugared cereals my mother bought for us because it wasn't overly sweet.  I remember it as having a stereotypical Asian character on the box, though, not a clown (thank goodness, no one likes clowns).
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2015, 07:51:05 pm »
Sugar Smacks, Corn Pops in a pinch Frosted Flakes.

Had to eat it fast before the milk got to it.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2015, 07:52:26 pm »
Does anyone remember "JETS?"    My Dad was a dentist, but we could eat sugar cereals on Saturday mornings, and Jets were my favorite!   ^-^

(It's #8)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 07:53:51 pm by musiclady »
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2015, 08:02:07 pm »
Does anyone remember "JETS?"    My Dad was a dentist, but we could eat sugar cereals on Saturday mornings, and Jets were my favorite!   ^-^

(It's #8)

My one son could eat an entire box of Lucky Charms or Count Chocula at the age of 10.  He can still do it at 43.  Ewwwwww.

Online NavyCanDo

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2015, 03:43:32 am »
My one son could eat an entire box of Lucky Charms or Count Chocula at the age of 10.  He can still do it at 43.  Ewwwwww.

Remember how Jethro on The Beverly Hillbillies would empty an entire box of Kellogg's Cornflakes into a huge mixing bowl and "go tu eatun"?      I would do the same, me often imitating the crazy antics of Jethro, even his eating habits.   My mom stopped buying Cornflakes.   
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline LambChop

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2015, 03:58:12 am »
Lucky for me my favorite is still around, Peanut Butter Crunch. If you use cream instead of milk it's almost sinful  :laugh:

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2015, 04:13:19 am »
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2015, 04:15:01 am »
Ol' Andy Devine with a gun and a semi-crazed look on his face.

John Steinbeck

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2015, 04:16:58 am »
Talk about crazed looks...

John Steinbeck

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2015, 04:20:00 am »
John Steinbeck

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2015, 04:20:24 am »
John Steinbeck

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2015, 04:21:44 am »
It ain't cereal but I like it...

John Steinbeck

Online Lando Lincoln

John Steinbeck

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2015, 10:21:57 am »
Ol' Andy Devine with a gun and a semi-crazed look on his face.

LOL!  Now THAT'S something you'll never see today, right?

I can still hear Andy's voice.   :laugh:

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2015, 12:06:05 pm »
LOL!  Now THAT'S something you'll never see today, right?

I can still hear Andy's voice.   :laugh:

BTW DCP... I posted the Ginger (Ale) gal on behalf of the Templars-of-the-super-secret-society-and-fraternity-in-exile-Ginger-Iluminati.  I absolutely thought of you when I posted it.
John Steinbeck

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2015, 12:53:47 pm »
BTW DCP... I posted the Ginger (Ale) gal on behalf of the Templars-of-the-super-secret-society-and-fraternity-in-exile-Ginger-Iluminati.  I absolutely thought of you when I posted it.

LOL!   Thank you, my friend.

Our 'club' needs a secret handshake or something!  :laugh:

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2015, 12:59:20 pm »
LOL!   Thank you, my friend.

Our 'club' needs a secret handshake or something!  :laugh:

What club? (The ring ceremony is scheduled for the next secret meeting.)
John Steinbeck

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2015, 04:33:10 pm »
I never heard of Jax beer. Cool ad!
Speaking of things you won't see anymore: a Dorothy Dandridge video of "Jig in the Jungle" where she and the band are dressed as African "natives."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UWeLF4OVU4
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org