Author Topic: Ridiculous News of the Day  (Read 528569 times)

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Re: Ridiculous News of the Day
« Reply #2225 on: October 28, 2019, 07:22:39 pm »
First sinkhole I have seen with perfectly straight and square lines.

Damn those 3D street artists are making those drawings of hole more realistic all the time!

Offline Applewood

« Reply #2226 on: October 28, 2019, 07:26:49 pm »
@GtHawk

I think you're looking at a shadow of the bus on the street.  This video has a closeup of the bus -- the hole is more irregular here:

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2019/10/28/port-authority-bus-sinkhole-downtown-pittsburgh/

Online berdie

« Reply #2227 on: October 28, 2019, 08:10:58 pm »
@mountaineer

Did he have anything to protect his...uh...balls?

It does give one a thought, doesn't it?

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #2228 on: October 28, 2019, 08:19:40 pm »
@Applewood  I've been laughing about the PAT bus ever since this morning. Glad no one was hurt, but it really is kind of funny.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #2229 on: October 28, 2019, 08:23:07 pm »
@mountaineer

Did he have anything to protect his...uh...balls?

Hope the shaft on his putter wasn't damaged.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2230 on: October 28, 2019, 08:28:21 pm »

It does give one a thought, doesn't it?
Maybe they were in his golf bag... :tongue2:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #2231 on: October 28, 2019, 08:32:36 pm »
@GtHawk

I think you're looking at a shadow of the bus on the street.  This video has a closeup of the bus -- the hole is more irregular here:

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2019/10/28/port-authority-bus-sinkhole-downtown-pittsburgh/
Examining the available images at the link, the straight lines are the result of pavement parting at seams created by when the pavement was laid down (the machines that lay the surfacing material lay a strip roughly a lane wide). If there is an electrical vault and gas lines beneath, there was a structural failure in the subsurface construction which may or may not be related to natural processes.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Applewood

« Reply #2232 on: October 28, 2019, 09:32:57 pm »
@Applewood  I've been laughing about the PAT bus ever since this morning. Glad no one was hurt, but it really is kind of funny.

While I was looking for a better photo for @GtHawk I found several other stories about buses falling into sinkholes, including one story from Japan.  I guess this happens more often than we think. 

Offline Applewood

« Reply #2233 on: October 28, 2019, 09:49:08 pm »
Examining the available images at the link, the straight lines are the result of pavement parting at seams created by when the pavement was laid down (the machines that lay the surfacing material lay a strip roughly a lane wide). If there is an electrical vault and gas lines beneath, there was a structural failure in the subsurface construction which may or may not be related to natural processes.

Thanks for the explanation.  You know more about this stuff than I.  Actually, I was thinking the cause might be a water main break or underground pipe burst    The City of Pittsburgh has an antiquated water system.  Used to have water main breaks only in winter; now it's year round. And that's on top of periodic problems with the water itself, necessitating boil water advisories and sometimes shutoffs.   No money and no desire to fix the system or to upgrade it.  At one point it was suggested that the city transfer responsibility for the water system to a private company, but the powers that be put the kabosh on that idea.  Where I live in the 'burbs, we have a private water company which keeps our water and the mains and pipelines in top condition. 

And yes, the street is probably in bad shape.  Pittsburgh, like most of Pennsylvania, has awful roads.  When they fix or build a road, they use the cheapest materials they can find.  Roads are always being dug up and fixed, but a few months later, they have to be fixed again.  Sometimes when there is no money, a bad road can be in disrepair for months or years. 

it will be interesting to see and hear what the investigators determine as the cause. 

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #2234 on: October 28, 2019, 09:54:00 pm »
If there is an electrical vault and gas lines beneath, there was a structural failure in the subsurface construction which may or may not be related to natural processes.
The bus is still in the hole. Officials are trying to determine the status of underground gas, electric, water, etc., lines.
...  “The problem that we’re having is that we have to lift that Port Authority bus straight up, because we have a Duquesne Light electrical vault involved, we have several gas lines involved and we don’t want to create any further problems than what we have now. Traffic is going to be a problem for the next eight to 10 hours. I know that we have a Steelers game tonight.”

The sinkhole is about 20 feet deep.

Authorities say the bus is sitting on three major power lines. Those will need to be turned off before the bus can be removed. During that process, some downtown businesses could lose power, and at least one is already without water. ...
KDKA

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #2235 on: October 29, 2019, 02:41:30 am »
@GtHawk

No I was actually making a joke, kinda like in the cartoons where the Coyote paints a tunnel on a a cliff and the Roadrunner runs through it -- But obviously it came across a lot more irregular where you are :shrug:

Offline Applewood

« Reply #2236 on: October 29, 2019, 11:04:45 am »
In case anyone cares, here is a report and video of the bus being lifted out of the sinkhole:

https://www.wtae.com/article/pittsburgh-sinkhole-port-authority-bus/29607762

And @GtHawk you were right.  The hole was more squared than I thought.  You can see it better in the second aerial view video at the link. 

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #2237 on: October 29, 2019, 12:26:43 pm »
That was a big sink hole
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #2238 on: October 29, 2019, 11:16:24 pm »
It happens.
Deputies: Man Stabs Woman Over Fear She Would ‘Feed Him To Zombies’
October 29, 2019 at 4:33 pm

MONETTA, S.C. (CBS Local) — A South Carolina man allegedly stabbed a woman because he feared she would feed him to zombies, according to investigators.

William Berry, 29, of Aiken was arrested Saturday in Monetta after a woman was stabbed five or six times in the back, according to an Aiken County Sheriff’s Office incident report. ...

Berry allegedly told deputies he “poked someone” because “they were trying to feed him to zombies and being mean to him,” according to the incident report. ...
Rest of story

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #2239 on: October 29, 2019, 11:23:58 pm »
It happens.Rest of story

@mountaineer

Well,ya can't blame him for that. Nobody wants to get fed to zombies.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #2240 on: October 30, 2019, 12:01:27 am »
Oh goody.  Are limericks back on?
There once-ler from Nantucket.
Who kept all his cash in a bucket.
But his daughter, named San FranNan,
Ran away with a man
And as for the bucket, Nanfucket.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #2241 on: October 30, 2019, 12:39:48 am »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline verga

« Reply #2242 on: October 30, 2019, 01:23:17 pm »
Bath salts?
There is a local place the youth hangout to do various foolish youthful pursuits. There is rather tall rock face that a former student decided to "fly off of" after taking bath salts. It took about 5-6 of her "friends" to hold her back so she wouldn't. This was the straw that broke the camels back for her parents to finally get her some help.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #2243 on: October 30, 2019, 01:28:26 pm »
There is a local place the youth hangout to do various foolish youthful pursuits. There is rather tall rock face that a former student decided to "fly off of" after taking bath salts. It took about 5-6 of her "friends" to hold her back so she wouldn't. This was the straw that broke the camels back for her parents to finally get her some help.
At least she didn't try to eat their faces...

C S Lewis

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #2244 on: October 30, 2019, 01:31:20 pm »
At least she didn't try to eat their faces...
Yeah, that seems to be a typical effect of the drug.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #2245 on: October 31, 2019, 01:15:55 pm »
 Woman cracks mother’s skull with crucifix during fight: report
By Ben Feuerherd
October 29, 2019

A Texas woman attacked her mother with a crucifix on Sunday, repeatedly hitting her in the head and fracturing her skull, a report said.

The suspect, 25-year-old Christian Lydia Martinez, got into a fight with her 45-year-old mother after she came home after a day of drinking in San Antonio, the Smoking Gun reported.

During the fight, Martinez allegedly grabbed a crucifix from the wall and socked her mother in the head with it, according to the report.  ... NY Post

Offline verga

« Reply #2246 on: October 31, 2019, 01:31:32 pm »
Woman cracks mother’s skull with crucifix during fight: report
By Ben Feuerherd
October 29, 2019

A Texas woman attacked her mother with a crucifix on Sunday, repeatedly hitting her in the head and fracturing her skull, a report said.

The suspect, 25-year-old Christian Lydia Martinez, got into a fight with her 45-year-old mother after she came home after a day of drinking in San Antonio, the Smoking Gun reported.

During the fight, Martinez allegedly grabbed a crucifix from the wall and socked her mother in the head with it, according to the report.  ... NY Post
I am confused, which one was out all night drinking?
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #2247 on: October 31, 2019, 02:18:09 pm »
I am confused, which one was out all night drinking?
I believe it was the daughter.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #2248 on: November 08, 2019, 04:26:11 pm »
The Number Two Tavern is world’s first poo-powered pub
Steven Adams | Thursday, November 7, 2019 1:44 p.m.

It may look like a traditional Yorkshire pub but it’s flush with new technology.

The Number Two Tavern in Leeds, England, is a pop-up demonstration of a cutting-edge energy production using power created by anaerobic digestion, according to Yorkshire Water. The process converts sewage into biogas that can generate heat and electricity.

Visitors may pooh-pooh the limited menu, offering nothing but water. But visitors can quench their thirst while posing for photos with a prop toilet. ...

Rest of story

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #2249 on: November 08, 2019, 05:09:03 pm »
The Number Two Tavern is world’s first poo-powered pub
Steven Adams | Thursday, November 7, 2019 1:44 p.m.

This is Ridiculous!  Whoever heard of a proper "Tavern" that serves only water?  Water would be the one thing I would not want from there!  That sounds like a place where only the distilled spirits are safe.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: