Author Topic: Ridiculous News of the Day  (Read 528465 times)

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Re: Ridiculous News of the Day
« Reply #1150 on: October 18, 2017, 11:41:09 am »
Heel Striker: Woman Sets Marathon Record in 3-Inch Stilettos
As if 26.2 miles wasn't hard enough, one woman took her race to the next level.
By McGee Nall Tuesday, October 17, 2017, 1:30 pm

While training for a marathon, some runners might test their endurance by wearing heavy backpacks, tackling steep inclines, or running in intense heat. Irene Sewell's tactic of choice? Wearing high heels for 26.2 miles at Sunday's 7 Bridges Marathon in Chattanooga, Tennessee.

The 27-year-old Blacksburg, Virginia native first got the idea when she heard about a London woman who attempted a Guinness World Record by running a marathon in heels a few years ago. Unfortunately, that woman was disqualified when she took off her shoes less than halfway through the course and finished the race barefoot. ...  Rest of story at Runners World

She's a better person than I. I wouldn't be able to do it. Not in those shoes
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 11:41:38 am by Freya »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Silver Pines

« Reply #1151 on: October 18, 2017, 01:17:40 pm »
She's a better person than I. I wouldn't be able to do it. Not in those shoes

@Freya

She's not better than you---just dumber.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #1152 on: October 19, 2017, 04:34:53 pm »
@Freya

She's not better than you---just dumber.

I went to high school with a girl who couldn't walk or run unless she was wearing high heels, her legs had gotten so used to them.  She was allowed to wear heels in gym class.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #1153 on: October 19, 2017, 04:37:10 pm »
Newspaper stories ruined pimp's 'good reputation,' lawsuit claims

Human trafficker Reza Moazami exits Vancouver provincial courtroom in this Dec. 2011 file photo.

Andrew Weichel, Digital reporter/editor, CTV Vancouver  @ctvandrew
Published Monday, October 16, 2017 5:19PM PDT

A violent pimp currently serving 18 years in prison has filed a lawsuit alleging some of the newspaper coverage of his trial besmirched his name.

Reza Moazami was found guilty on dozens of charges in September 2014, including sexual assault, sexual exploitation, sexual interference and human trafficking offences. His 11 victims ranged in age from 14 to 19 years old.

[...]

"Words published in the Vancouver Sun Newspaper and National Post Newspaper ruined [Moazami's] good reputation and character," the suit claims.

"Words used… were either directly or inadvertently defamatory especially given that many of the alleged accusations were proven false in court."

[...]
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline musiclady

« Reply #1154 on: October 19, 2017, 09:45:40 pm »
I went to high school with a girl who couldn't walk or run unless she was wearing high heels, her legs had gotten so used to them.  She was allowed to wear heels in gym class.

Ooooo.................. did she have to pay for the damage to the gym floor??

@Suppressed
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline corbe

« Reply #1155 on: October 20, 2017, 05:01:02 pm »
Spam heists in Hawaii prompt retailers to put the wildly popular canned meat in locked cases

The Washington Post Fred Barbash

1 day ago

A “Hawaii collector’s edition” Spam can with a picture “spam musubi” is shown at a grocery store in Kailua, Hawaii in 2004. 

Last month in the Pearl City community on Oahu, Safeway customer Arlene Sua watched as a man suddenly grabbed eight cases of Spam and headed for the door. She thought “‘Okay, this isn’t real. No, he’s not going to take it, no, no,” she told KHON TV.

But it was real. The man took off with the Spam and disappeared.

Elsewhere on the island at about the same time, three women loaded up shopping carts at a Long’s drugstore with 18 cases of — you guessed it — Spam. They made a rush for the exit.  Fortunately, an alert customer, Kurt Fevella, saw the attempted heist in progress, stationed himself at the door on Spam patrol and stopped them in their tracks. They shoved the carts toward at him and took off, Fevella told KITV4.

<..snip..>

http://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/restaurantsandnews/spam-heists-in-hawaii-prompt-retailers-to-put-the-wildly-popular-canned-meat-in-locked-cases/ar-AAtInC9?li=BBgdrt0&ocid=ientp&fullscreen=true#image=1
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #1156 on: October 20, 2017, 06:30:31 pm »
Spam heists in Hawaii prompt retailers to put the wildly popular canned meat in locked cases

The Washington Post Fred Barbash

1 day ago

A “Hawaii collector’s edition” Spam can with a picture “spam musubi” is shown at a grocery store in Kailua, Hawaii in 2004. 

Last month in the Pearl City community on Oahu, Safeway customer Arlene Sua watched as a man suddenly grabbed eight cases of Spam and headed for the door. She thought “‘Okay, this isn’t real. No, he’s not going to take it, no, no,” she told KHON TV.

But it was real. The man took off with the Spam and disappeared.

Elsewhere on the island at about the same time, three women loaded up shopping carts at a Long’s drugstore with 18 cases of — you guessed it — Spam. They made a rush for the exit.  Fortunately, an alert customer, Kurt Fevella, saw the attempted heist in progress, stationed himself at the door on Spam patrol and stopped them in their tracks. They shoved the carts toward at him and took off, Fevella told KITV4.

<..snip..>

http://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/restaurantsandnews/spam-heists-in-hawaii-prompt-retailers-to-put-the-wildly-popular-canned-meat-in-locked-cases/ar-AAtInC9?li=BBgdrt0&ocid=ientp&fullscreen=true#image=1

Spam is very popular in HI.  Go into any grocery store, and there is at least 10 feet of shelf space (4 shelves high) of Spam products.  I do not know why.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #1157 on: October 20, 2017, 06:40:04 pm »
Spam is very popular in HI.  Go into any grocery store, and there is at least 10 feet of shelf space (4 shelves high) of Spam products.  I do not know why.

I pointed that out on another thread and got scoffed at!  Well, it was more like a deafening silence.  Either way, who can understand the dietary desires of Hawaiians?

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #1158 on: October 20, 2017, 06:56:38 pm »
I pointed that out on another thread and got scoffed at!  Well, it was more like a deafening silence.  Either way, who can understand the dietary desires of Hawaiians?

I don't think it's the Haoles.  We should ask an expert on Hawaiian life.  @Emjay?  What's with the Spam out there?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #1159 on: October 20, 2017, 06:59:02 pm »
I don't think it's the Haoles.  We should ask an expert on Hawaiian life.  @Emjay?  What's with the Spam out there?

I think it goes back to WWII and the war effort in the South Pacific but not sure.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #1160 on: October 20, 2017, 07:02:52 pm »
I think it goes back to WWII and the war effort in the South Pacific but not sure.
As a former card-carrying (literally) member of the Official SPAM® Fan Club, I can confirm you are correct (though I'd say "Pacific," not just South Pacific).
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 07:03:54 pm by Suppressed »
+++++++++

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #1161 on: October 20, 2017, 07:16:26 pm »

One thing you need to understand is that there is no majority ethic population in Hawaii... orientals and whites are the most with a lot of other groups mixed in.  I don't even see race anymore.

I go to a large fabulous Safeway in Maui.  Spam occupies about the same amount of shelf space as it does anywhere.

But cost of living is so high here that maybe people resort to Spam as a less costly way to get protein.

And, well, you can't beat a fried spam sandwich.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #1162 on: October 20, 2017, 07:48:35 pm »
One thing you need to understand is that there is no majority ethic population in Hawaii... orientals and whites are the most with a lot of other groups mixed in.  I don't even see race anymore.

I go to a large fabulous Safeway in Maui.  Spam occupies about the same amount of shelf space as it does anywhere.

But cost of living is so high here that maybe people resort to Spam as a less costly way to get protein.

And, well, you can't beat a fried spam sandwich.

Well, when you have to import beef from the US mainland and all you have are chickens, it's no wonder people eat Spam.  ^-^

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #1163 on: October 20, 2017, 07:53:58 pm »
Well, when you have to import beef from the US mainland and all you have are chickens, it's no wonder people eat Spam.  ^-^

Thre are some very large cattle operations in Hawaii. I serioulsy doubt that they have to import a lot of beef.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline musiclady

« Reply #1164 on: October 20, 2017, 08:12:17 pm »
Thre are some very large cattle operations in Hawaii. I serioulsy doubt that they have to import a lot of beef.

When we were there last year, the reason given for the exorbitant price of milk was the lack of cows.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #1165 on: October 21, 2017, 01:04:05 am »
When we were there last year, the reason given for the exorbitant price of milk was the lack of cows.

Have no idea about dairy operations but I do know they raise a lot of beef cattle.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parker_Ranch

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline thackney

« Reply #1166 on: October 21, 2017, 01:05:42 pm »

http://westhawaiitoday.com/sections/news/local-news/food-security-state-senate%E2%80%99s-plate.html

...“Hawaii imports approximately 92 percent of its food … Hawaii’s reliance on out-of-state sources of food places residents directly at risk of food shortages in the event of natural disasters, economic disruption and other external factors,” the bill reads.

Such dependency on imports means that Hawaii currently has an inventory of fresh produce that would supply consumers for no more than 10 days. A total of 90 percent of the beef, 67 percent of the fresh vegetables, 65 percent of the fresh fruits and 80 percent of all milk purchased in the state are imported....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline musiclady

« Reply #1167 on: October 21, 2017, 01:12:56 pm »
http://westhawaiitoday.com/sections/news/local-news/food-security-state-senate%E2%80%99s-plate.html

...“Hawaii imports approximately 92 percent of its food … Hawaii’s reliance on out-of-state sources of food places residents directly at risk of food shortages in the event of natural disasters, economic disruption and other external factors,” the bill reads.

Such dependency on imports means that Hawaii currently has an inventory of fresh produce that would supply consumers for no more than 10 days. A total of 90 percent of the beef, 67 percent of the fresh vegetables, 65 percent of the fresh fruits and 80 percent of all milk purchased in the state are imported....

That looks like the info we were given last year........ and the reason food is off-the-charts expensive.  Like $8.00 for a gallon of milk??  (It's less than $2 here).

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #1168 on: October 21, 2017, 05:54:45 pm »
That looks like the info we were given last year........ and the reason food is off-the-charts expensive.  Like $8.00 for a gallon of milk??  (It's less than $2 here).
Sounds like a great place to start a dairy.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline thackney

« Reply #1169 on: October 21, 2017, 09:26:40 pm »
Sounds like a great place to start a dairy.

Not with the cost of feed and land in Hawaii.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline corbe

« Reply #1170 on: October 23, 2017, 05:41:23 pm »

Thong Jeans an idea whose time has come?
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline corbe

« Reply #1171 on: November 01, 2017, 08:37:47 pm »

11/1/2017 7:37 AM PDT

O.J. Simpson Dresses Up for Halloween, Greets Trick-Or-Treaters

Yes, O.J. actually greeted trick-or-treaters at the Las Vegas home where he's been living since getting out of prison -- and he even dressed up for the occasion. Sorta. Simpson grabbed one of his old Buffalo Bills jerseys -- maybe one he's planning to hawk online.

<..snip..>

http://www.tmz.com/2017/11/01/oj-simpson-halloween-costume-trick-or-treaters/

Offline verga

« Reply #1172 on: November 02, 2017, 01:19:03 am »

11/1/2017 7:37 AM PDT

O.J. Simpson Dresses Up for Halloween, Greets Trick-Or-Treaters

Yes, O.J. actually greeted trick-or-treaters at the Las Vegas home where he's been living since getting out of prison -- and he even dressed up for the occasion. Sorta. Simpson grabbed one of his old Buffalo Bills jerseys -- maybe one he's planning to hawk online.

<..snip..>

http://www.tmz.com/2017/11/01/oj-simpson-halloween-costume-trick-or-treaters/
Years ago When I was a kid, they would have open practices at one of the colleges. My father took me to see it. After the practice all us kids were lined up for autographs. Simpson was one of the few that stuck around and made sure that every kid that wanted an autograph got one. Flash forward and I still remembered this and ha da difficult time believing that one of my childhood heros had committed a horrific crime.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #1173 on: November 03, 2017, 06:21:09 pm »
No bond for man who shot himself in penis while robbing hot dog stand

https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/man-who-shot-himself-in-penis-charged-with-west-pullman-robbery/

A 19-year-old man who shot himself in the penis after allegedly holding up a South Side hotdog stand Tuesday won’t be going home when he’s released from the hospital.

Terrion Pouncy remained at Christ Hospital recovering from his injuries on Thursday, missing a bond hearing at the Leighton Criminal Courthouse on two counts of armed robbery.

----

My vote for best headline ever.
The Republic is lost.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #1174 on: November 03, 2017, 06:34:16 pm »
No bond for man who shot himself in penis while robbing hot dog stand

https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/man-who-shot-himself-in-penis-charged-with-west-pullman-robbery/

A 19-year-old man who shot himself in the penis after allegedly holding up a South Side hotdog stand Tuesday won’t be going home when he’s released from the hospital.

Terrion Pouncy remained at Christ Hospital recovering from his injuries on Thursday, missing a bond hearing at the Leighton Criminal Courthouse on two counts of armed robbery.

----

My vote for best headline ever.

The jokes write themselves.......  :laugh: