Author Topic: Ridiculous News of the Day  (Read 528877 times)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Re: Ridiculous News of the Day
« Reply #1125 on: September 21, 2017, 04:53:44 pm »
Greeneville, TN: Residents mistake Halloween decorations for an actual crime scene
http://wate.com/2017/09/20/greene-county-residents-mistake-halloween-decorations-for-crime-scene/
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #1126 on: September 23, 2017, 12:17:52 pm »
Hurricane victims call sex hotline after FEMA mistakenly tweets wrong number
POSTED 7:17 PM, SEPTEMBER 22, 2017, BY TRIBUNE MEDIA WIRE
http://wgntv.com/2017/09/22/hurricane-victims-call-sex-hotline-after-fema-mistakenly-tweets-wrong-number/
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #1127 on: September 23, 2017, 02:32:57 pm »
Hurricane victims call sex hotline after FEMA mistakenly tweets wrong number
So that's what FEMA employees have been doing!  :pondering:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline musiclady

« Reply #1128 on: September 23, 2017, 03:16:34 pm »
So that's what FEMA employees have been doing!  :pondering:

:silly: :silly:
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #1129 on: September 23, 2017, 05:25:43 pm »
That happened to me on a wellsite. I called an instrumentation company's tech support line and dialed "800" instead of "866"...and got a sex hotline. I just told the lady that was not the sort of technical support I was looking for...and got the number right the second try.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #1130 on: October 04, 2017, 07:52:45 pm »
Woman gets $400K package of oxycodone; wanted yoga mat
Tuesday, October 3rd 2017, 1:29 pm EDT    Tuesday, October 3rd 2017, 1:44 pm EDT
http://www.waff.com/story/36511109/woman-gets-400k-package-of-oxycodone-wanted-yoga-mat

ROCK HILL, SC (WSOC/CNN) - A woman walked out to meet her mail carrier, thinking a yoga mat she ordered had arrived. Instead, she was handed a heavy box filled with $400,000 worth of illegal oxycodone.

[...]

"Most of this is counterfeit, and it comes from other countries. And it's being shipped in," York County drug agent Marvin Brown said.

It's likely the package was supposed to be sent to the woman's old apartment that's now vacant, and someone was supposed to watch the place and pick it up, he said. Instead, it was forwarded to the woman's new address, he said.

[...]

Excerpt.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #1131 on: October 04, 2017, 09:41:17 pm »
FDA fines bakery for listing 'love' as one of the ingredients in its granola

ingredients “must be listed by their common or usual name. ‘Love’ is not a common or usual name of an ingredient, and is considered to be intervening material because it is not part of the common or usual name of the ingredient,” the FDA wrote.

http://wivb.com/2017/10/04/fda-love-is-not-a-real-ingredient-in-bakerys-granola/
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #1132 on: October 04, 2017, 09:45:19 pm »

ingredients “must be listed by their common or usual name. ‘Love’ is not a common or usual name of an ingredient, and is considered to be intervening material because it is not part of the common or usual name of the ingredient,” the FDA wrote.

http://wivb.com/2017/10/04/fda-love-is-not-a-real-ingredient-in-bakerys-granola/
Just because their mommas didn't put love in any of their cookies when they were little, no doubt.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #1133 on: October 04, 2017, 09:53:34 pm »

I agree with the 'ridiculous' decision to fine them.

"ounces of Love"....tomorrow will see, "cup of tenderness", "commitment to perfection", and "angel's wings"

Ingredient labels are not supposed to be a marketing 'field'.   It's supposed to be a serious notice on the packaging.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #1134 on: October 04, 2017, 10:00:32 pm »

"ounces of Love"....tomorrow will see, "cup of tenderness", "commitment to perfection", and "angel's wings"

Ingredient labels are not supposed to be a marketing 'field'.   It's supposed to be a serious notice on the packaging.
Maybe they were one of those outfits adding the 'special sauce' in the back...

C S Lewis

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #1135 on: October 04, 2017, 10:02:00 pm »

I'm with you on this.  I saw this story on Fox Business Channel this morning, and my wife said she thought FDA was being humorless.  I said, "So am I when it comes to ingredient labels.  It's difficult enough sifting through all the unpronounceable chemicals looking for the ones that will kill me without having to deal with the cutsie additions."
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 10:04:41 pm by Cyber Liberty »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #1136 on: October 04, 2017, 10:14:31 pm »

Good thing there is no actual winery selling wine using this song for an ad.

Strawberries cherries and an angel's kiss in spring
My summer wine is really made from all these things

Offline thackney

« Reply #1137 on: October 05, 2017, 01:05:18 pm »

I am with you.  "Made with Love" is fine on the packaging.  Ingredients labels are not the place for marketing schemes.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #1138 on: October 11, 2017, 08:47:30 pm »
Deputies: Pinellas Park man Googled 'how to rob a bank' then robbed a bank
Times staff
Tuesday, October 10, 2017 12:14pm
http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/crime/deputies-pinellas-park-man-googled-how-to-rob-a-bank-then-robbed-a-bank/2340560

William Joe Johnson, 26, stole an undisclosed amount of money from Achieva Credit Union at 10125 Ulmerton Road, according to the Pinellas County Sheriff's Office. [Pinellas County Jail]

PINELLAS PARK — Sheriff's deputies on Monday arrested a man accused of robbing a bank near Largo last week, then using the money on utilities, rent and a drug binge.

[...]

After an investigation, deputies found him at the hotel. In an interview, detectives said Johnson told them he was in need of money and searched on Google "how to rob a bank."

[...]
+++++++++

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #1139 on: October 11, 2017, 09:19:16 pm »
Deputies: Pinellas Park man Googled 'how to rob a bank' then robbed a bank
Times staff
Tuesday, October 10, 2017 12:14pm
http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/crime/deputies-pinellas-park-man-googled-how-to-rob-a-bank-then-robbed-a-bank/2340560

William Joe Johnson, 26, stole an undisclosed amount of money from Achieva Credit Union at 10125 Ulmerton Road, according to the Pinellas County Sheriff's Office. [Pinellas County Jail]

PINELLAS PARK — Sheriff's deputies on Monday arrested a man accused of robbing a bank near Largo last week, then using the money on utilities, rent and a drug binge.

[...]

After an investigation, deputies found him at the hotel. In an interview, detectives said Johnson told them he was in need of money and searched on Google "how to rob a bank."

[...]

Shoulda used "Ipswitch."
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #1140 on: October 12, 2017, 12:31:56 am »
Johnson told them he was in need of money and searched on Google "how to rob a bank."
Should have googled "how to rob a bank but i'm really just kidding."

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #1141 on: October 12, 2017, 02:03:52 am »
Should have googled "how to rob a bank but i'm really just kidding."
"Unsolved bank robberies" might be the best search term... :shrug:

C S Lewis

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #1142 on: October 13, 2017, 12:13:29 pm »
Another clever bank robber:
Wilkinsburg Man Robs Bank, Stops To Buy Beer Nearby Minutes Later
October 12, 2017 6:52 PM By Julie Grant

WILKINSBURG (KDKA) — A suspected bank robber is behind bars Thursday after police caught him buying beer down the street minutes after the robbery.

Police say after he robbed the bank he was caught minutes later buying beer down the street. Police also say, this isn’t his first robbery.  ...
More at KDKA Pittsburgh.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #1143 on: October 15, 2017, 05:34:25 pm »
Juvenile Prison Catches Worker Who Stole $1.2 Million Worth Of Fajitas

http://dailycaller.com/2017/10/15/juvenile-prison-catches-worker-who-stole-1-2-million-worth-of-fajitas/

Texas prosecutors have charged a former juvenile detention center employee with stealing $1.2 million worth of fajitas over a nine-year period in a Tex-Mex food trafficking scheme.

The scheme came to light when Gilberto Escaramilla, an employee of the Cameron County Juvenile Justice Department, took off work Aug. 7 and a delivery driver tried to drop of 800 pounds of fajitas. The detention center does not serve fajitas.

“If it wasn’t so serious, you’d think it was a Saturday Night Live skit. But this is the real thing,” Cameron County District Attorney Luis V. Saenz told the Valley Morning Star.

------

Who wants to be a fajita millionaire?
The Republic is lost.

Online Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #1144 on: October 15, 2017, 06:40:12 pm »
------

He must have been very hungry. Or very high.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 06:40:40 pm by Freya »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #1145 on: October 15, 2017, 06:46:54 pm »
I will NOT comply.

Online Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #1146 on: October 15, 2017, 07:05:46 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5rlbOqQq7w

No Jack In THe Boxes near me. We do have a sonic which is a big deal besides McDonalds and BK.

And White Castle!!! (Harold and Kumar were there)
@Cyber Liberty
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 07:07:22 pm by Freya »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #1147 on: October 16, 2017, 10:38:47 pm »
------

My brother dated a descendant of the inventor of the "fajita".  "Fajita" is actually a cut of beef, not the strips.  But it has become corrupted, so "fajita strips" are now called "fajitas" and the word is used for chicken, etc.  The latter infuriated the family, who insisted that "fajita strips" were beef, and the others were just "chicken strips", etc.
+++++++++

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #1148 on: October 18, 2017, 10:53:00 am »
Heel Striker: Woman Sets Marathon Record in 3-Inch Stilettos
As if 26.2 miles wasn't hard enough, one woman took her race to the next level.
By McGee Nall Tuesday, October 17, 2017, 1:30 pm

While training for a marathon, some runners might test their endurance by wearing heavy backpacks, tackling steep inclines, or running in intense heat. Irene Sewell's tactic of choice? Wearing high heels for 26.2 miles at Sunday's 7 Bridges Marathon in Chattanooga, Tennessee.

The 27-year-old Blacksburg, Virginia native first got the idea when she heard about a London woman who attempted a Guinness World Record by running a marathon in heels a few years ago. Unfortunately, that woman was disqualified when she took off her shoes less than halfway through the course and finished the race barefoot. ...  Rest of story at Runners World

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #1149 on: October 18, 2017, 11:27:24 am »
Heel Striker: Woman Sets Marathon Record in 3-Inch Stilettos
As if 26.2 miles wasn't hard enough, one woman took her race to the next level.
By McGee Nall Tuesday, October 17, 2017, 1:30 pm

While training for a marathon, some runners might test their endurance by wearing heavy backpacks, tackling steep inclines, or running in intense heat. Irene Sewell's tactic of choice? Wearing high heels for 26.2 miles at Sunday's 7 Bridges Marathon in Chattanooga, Tennessee.

The 27-year-old Blacksburg, Virginia native first got the idea when she heard about a London woman who attempted a Guinness World Record by running a marathon in heels a few years ago. Unfortunately, that woman was disqualified when she took off her shoes less than halfway through the course and finished the race barefoot. ...  Rest of story at Runners World

Why?