Author Topic: Ridiculous News of the Day  (Read 528696 times)

Online mountaineer

Re: Ridiculous News of the Day
« Reply #2100 on: August 20, 2019, 10:26:59 pm »
Why do you suppose they want everybody with an Alexa to buy a Nest thermostat?  "Near you" will be on the wall just outside your bedroom.
Just another reason not to have Alexa or the other always-listening devices in your home.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #2101 on: August 20, 2019, 10:29:56 pm »
Just another reason not to have Alexa or the other always-listening devices in your home.

Verizon was selling the thermostats in their store, along with Alexas.  There was a nice rebate from the electric company when you buy the thermostat.  I laughed.  My wife laughed.  The Alexa laughed, so I shot it.

Good times!
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online mountaineer

« Reply #2102 on: August 20, 2019, 10:30:24 pm »
St. Louis County councilwoman sworn into office using a Dr. Seuss book
Posted 11:20 am, August 20, 2019, by Associated Press

CLAYTON, Mo. (AP) – A newly elected St. Louis County councilwoman has been sworn into office using a Dr. Seuss book.

The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that the council doesn’t require members to be sworn in on a Bible, and newly elected 2nd District member Kelli Dunaway chose “Oh, the Places You’ll Go!” Her 5-year-old son and 7-year-old daughter held it for her during last week’s ceremony.  ...
More at KTVI/FOX2

If I had voted for her, I'd be just a smidge annoyed at how flippantly she views her oath of office, but that's just me.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #2103 on: August 20, 2019, 10:33:44 pm »
Verizon was selling the thermostats in their store, along with Alexas.  There was a nice rebate from the electric company when you buy the thermostat.  I laughed.  My wife laughed.  The Alexa laughed, so I shot it.

Good times!

:silly:

Online roamer_1

« Reply #2104 on: August 20, 2019, 10:43:15 pm »

Good times!

:silly: :beer:

Offline Applewood

« Reply #2105 on: August 20, 2019, 10:50:15 pm »
More at KTVI/FOX2

If I had voted for her, I'd be just a smidge annoyed at how flippantly she views her oath of office, but that's just me.

A Democrat, I'll bet. 

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #2106 on: August 20, 2019, 11:14:45 pm »
Just got hit with an ad from Amazon as a long term Prime Customer, they said they would give me an Echo/Alexa for free. I respectfully declined their gracious offer. Don't want it. Even for free.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2107 on: August 20, 2019, 11:16:16 pm »

Just got hit with an ad from Amazon as a long term Prime Customer, they said they would give me an Echo/Alexa for free. I respectfully declined their gracious offer. Don't want it. Even for free.

Same here.  Don't want it and won't have it under any circumstances.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2108 on: August 20, 2019, 11:21:17 pm »

Same here.  Don't want it and won't have it under any circumstances.
I get annoyed enough at my old dumb phone when I bump the button and it cranks out with "Say a Command", among a host of other things, it doesn't seem to recognize "exit", so I just give it the silent treatment or set it next to the radio.

Alexa is out.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2109 on: August 20, 2019, 11:35:32 pm »
I get annoyed enough at my old dumb phone when I bump the button and it cranks out with "Say a Command", among a host of other things, it doesn't seem to recognize "exit", so I just give it the silent treatment or set it next to the radio.

Alexa is out.

My wife uses the voice command thing on her phone and gets annoyed with me for refusing to.  :shrug:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #2110 on: August 20, 2019, 11:48:59 pm »
I predict that for the next generation there will be no way to opt-out of Alexa.
Alexa will be embedded in everything with no way to disable it.
New car - Alexa automatically enabled
New cell phone - Alexa automatically enabled
New computer - Alexa automatically enabled
New television - Alexa automatically enabled
New home/apartment - Alexa automatically enabled
Eventually it will come to Alexa embedded in your refrigerator/new kitchen appliances/alarm clocks/washing machine/well...everything. I believe we will live to see this in our lifetime.

Then that will really be 24hr surveillance of everything you say, everywhere you go, everything you do. By correlating data from various sources associated with you, the NSA will know your wife is cheating and with whom before you do. They will know if you are about to get married or divorced. They will know if you are about to get a bonus or declare bankruptcy. They will know if you are getting a raise or getting fired at work. They will know everything about you life situation. And they will know it before you even have a clue what is about to happen.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #2111 on: August 21, 2019, 12:10:33 am »
I predict that for the next generation there will be no way to opt-out of Alexa.
Eventually it will come to Alexa embedded in your refrigerator/new kitchen appliances/alarm clocks/washing machine/well...everything. I believe we will live to see this in our lifetime.

Then that will really be 24hr surveillance of everything you say, everywhere you go, everything you do. By correlating data from various sources associated with you, the NSA will know your wife is cheating and with whom before you do. They will know if you are about to get married or divorced. They will know if you are about to get a bonus or declare bankruptcy. They will know if you are getting a raise or getting fired at work. They will know everything about you life situation. And they will know it before you even have a clue what is about to happen.
Think about that, and the power it would give people to eff with you at the worst possible times....

The potential for personal and petty abuse is astronomical. How many people could resist the temptation to get back at someone who had just ticked them off? (Too few, I'd wager, but it would only take one.)

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Hoodat

« Reply #2112 on: August 21, 2019, 02:57:33 am »

Yet President Bush is the bad guy because he listened in on cell phone conversations in Pakistan which violated their Constitutional rights.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #2113 on: August 21, 2019, 03:03:42 am »
Yet President Bush is the bad guy because he listened in on cell phone conversations in Pakistan which violated their Constitutional rights.
Pakistan has a Constitution? With Rights? Who knew?

C S Lewis

Online mountaineer

« Reply #2114 on: August 22, 2019, 04:09:47 pm »
Pamela Geller agrees with me about the St. Louis County Council member sworn in on a Dr. Seuss book (and confirms the councilwoman is a Democrat):
What is this attention whoring but making a mockery of American governance and elected office? She did this in front of her son and daughter, teaching them the same contempt for America. These know-nothings haven’t the vaguest idea of the singular greatness of America and what it was our founding fathers achieved.
https://gellerreport.com/2019/08/democrat-gets-sworn-in-dr-seuss-book.html

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #2115 on: August 22, 2019, 09:32:33 pm »
Pamela Geller agrees with me about the St. Louis County Council member sworn in on a Dr. Seuss book (and confirms the councilwoman is a Democrat):https://gellerreport.com/2019/08/democrat-gets-sworn-in-dr-seuss-book.html
Maybe the Grinch will steal her Christmas if she violates her oath....

C S Lewis

Online Hoodat

« Reply #2116 on: August 23, 2019, 03:09:20 am »

They should be paying you for the privilege of spying on you in your own home.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online mountaineer

« Reply #2117 on: August 23, 2019, 10:56:50 pm »
How a Bitter Divorce Battle on Earth Led to Claims of a Crime in Space
By Mike Baker
    Aug. 23, 2019
    Updated 6:38 p.m. ET
Summer Worden, a former Air Force intelligence officer living in Kansas, has been in the midst of a bitter separation and parenting dispute for much of the past year. So she was surprised when she noticed that her estranged spouse still seemed to know things about her spending.  ...

Ms. Worden put her intelligence background to work, asking her bank about the locations of computers that had recently accessed her bank account using her login credentials. The bank got back to her with an answer: One was a computer network registered to the National Aeronautics and Space Administration.

[Here's the ridiculous news aspect of this]:   Ms. Worden’s spouse, Anne McClain, was a decorated NASA astronaut on a six-month mission aboard the International Space Station. She was about to be part of NASA’s first all-female spacewalk. But the couple’s domestic troubles on Earth, it seemed, had extended into outer space.

Ms. McClain acknowledged that she had accessed the bank account from space, insisting through a lawyer that she was merely shepherding the couple’s still-intertwined finances.   ...

The couple’s dispute revolved largely around Ms. Worden’s son, who was born about a year before the two met.

Ms. Worden, who had previously worked at the National Security Agency, resisted allowing Ms. McClain to adopt the child, even after they were married at the end of 2014.  ...
New York Times

Glad to see we have such stable individuals serving as astronauts.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #2118 on: August 23, 2019, 11:00:24 pm »
By Mike Baker
    Aug. 23, 2019
    Updated 6:38 p.m. ETNew York Times

Less bizarre that the astronaut lady who drove cross-country wearing diapers to kill her lover's girlfriend.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #2119 on: August 23, 2019, 11:01:05 pm »
By Mike Baker
    Aug. 23, 2019

Less bizarre that the astronaut lady who drove cross-country wearing diapers to kill her lover's girlfriend.
I will NOT comply.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #2120 on: August 23, 2019, 11:03:05 pm »

There seems to be a trend...  :shrug:

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #2121 on: August 23, 2019, 11:04:35 pm »
By Mike Baker
    Aug. 23, 2019

Not surprised. I once worked at a Top Secret government installation. We all were vetted and had clearances to be there. Never met such a crazy group of weirdos in my life. Furthermore, there were Chinese and other foreigners in the group, which I couldn't believe.

Government vetting is not done by the U.S. Government. They contract it out to contractors who get paid by the unit. These guys will 'clear' just about anybody. After all, that's their job. That's how they get paid.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #2122 on: August 24, 2019, 01:54:55 am »
There seems to be a trend...  :shrug:

Yep.

Women are nuts.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #2123 on: August 24, 2019, 01:25:26 pm »
By Mike Baker
    Aug. 23, 2019

Well, doggone it, they just wanted a normal family, like everyone else....

C S Lewis

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #2124 on: August 24, 2019, 08:19:20 pm »
Well, doggone it, they just wanted a normal family, like everyone else....
Well it looks like they finally got what they wanted, to be just like married heterosexuals, bitter divorces, custody battles and spying on each other. May they thoroughly enjoy the fruits of marriage they demanded. :silly: :silly: :silly: