Author Topic: Ridiculous News of the Day  (Read 528521 times)

Offline Applewood

Re: Ridiculous News of the Day
« Reply #1725 on: January 16, 2019, 11:23:01 pm »

@Applewood

This happened in Pittsburg. The guy was just as likely wanting to break something to cost someone else money and grief as he was to try to get money from robbing the joint.

Not so sure about that.  I believe the video report at the link shows surveillance video inside the store.  After the robber gets inside, he runs around from display case to display case only to finally realize all of the cases are empty.  The video also shows a sign in the front window to the effect that the store does not leave jewelry in display cases overnight; the merchandise is locked away in a vault.  The store started doing this after a burglary some years ago where a thief drove his vehicle through the front door and took everything in the display cases. 

The cases stay lighted overnight and are visible from the street.  But even if the robber didn't see that, he should have seen the sign in the front window.  As bugs Bunny would say, "what a maroon!" 

Offline Applewood

« Reply #1726 on: January 18, 2019, 03:07:23 pm »
Man jumps from 11th story cruise ship balcony, gets lifetime ban from Royal Caribbean

Royal Carribean has banned a group of men from ever traveling with the cruise line again after one of them jumped off a ship’s deck and posted a video of the stunt on social media.

Nick Naydev, of Vancouver, Washington, posted the video on Instagram Friday showing him standing on the balcony of the Symphony of the Seas and then jumping off into the waters in the Bahamas where the ship was docked. The video has more than 80,000 views and more than 1,000 comments. One of his friends Konstantin Kryachun recorded the video and posted the full video which shows Naydev splashing into the water and wading.

“I was still drunk from the previous night. When I woke up I just decided to jump,’’ he responded to a user on Instagram. “My feet were actually fine. It was my neck and tailbone that hurt.”

“I could barely walk for 3 days because my ass hurt so bad. The flight home was a nightmare but I’m fine now.”

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/travel/fl-ne-royal-caribbean-passengers-banned-for-life-jumping-ship-20190117-story.html

(emphasis added)

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #1727 on: January 18, 2019, 03:51:09 pm »
Man jumps from 11th story cruise ship balcony, gets lifetime ban from Royal Caribbean

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/travel/fl-ne-royal-caribbean-passengers-banned-for-life-jumping-ship-20190117-story.html

(emphasis added)

And here I thought I was pushing my luck with Royal Caribbean by sneaking a bottle of Whiskey on board....
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #1728 on: January 19, 2019, 07:20:11 pm »
If that was me, I would have kicked the ass out of whomever was holding the camera.  How can you not get a shot of him hitting the water?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #1729 on: January 24, 2019, 04:34:35 pm »
This is interesting and enough mainstream, it could have gone into normal stories, it's real strange too:
Magazine
How a Trump judicial nominee reignited the debate over dwarf tossing

By Scott Nover
January 22

If you've never heard the term "dwarf tossing," you're probably picturing some antiquated practice nestled between gladiator duels and damnatio ad bestias (execution by wild beasts) atop the Colosseum playbill. But it's not from ancient Rome. It's a modern form of pub entertainment in which patrons throw little people — paid performers, generally — onto mattresses or against Velcro walls. Over the years, it has periodically been a source of both controversy and disgust. And now, thanks to Neomi Rao — President Trump's nominee to replace Brett Kavanaugh on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit — it's in the news once again.

Dwarf tossing is believed to have originated in Australia in the early to mid-1980s and arrived in America soon after. (It makes an appearance as a symbol of financial-sector excess in the 2013 film “The Wolf of Wall Street.”) Florida banned the practice in 1989, and New York followed suit in 1990. “Any activity which dehumanizes and humiliates these people is degrading to us all,” New York Gov. Mario Cuomo said at the time.

In 1991, when the Paris suburb of Morsang-sur-Orge banned dwarf tossing at discotheques, Manuel Wackenheim, a little person, sued because he wanted to continue making a living being tossed. France’s highest administrative court upheld the ban in 1995, stating that dwarf tossing “affronted human dignity.” The United Nations Human Rights Committee upheld the decision in a 2002 ruling on similar grounds. The Wackenheim case has since appeared in legal ethics journals and textbooks. (Wackenheim, now 51, lives in Sarreguemines on the French-German border and earns a living repairing computers. “People did not really understand the show,” he said in an email, referring to his dwarf-tossing days. “There are people who found it a little degrading, but for me this had made it all the more daring.”)
More: https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/magazine/how-a-trump-judicial-nominee-reignited-the-debate-over-dwarf-tossing/2019/01/22/65fd885a-0d21-11e9-8938-5898adc28fa2_story.html?utm_term=.115cd02ad8a4
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 04:35:06 pm by TomSea »

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #1730 on: January 26, 2019, 02:22:30 pm »
Not an entirely accurate headline... but hey, English tabloids:

Man's fury as mum tries to split him and girlfriend up - because she's his sister
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/mans-fury-mum-try-split-13890113

(Disclaimer: they weren't related when they started dating, but then their divorced parents got married and now they're trying to split the young couple up.)
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #1731 on: January 26, 2019, 03:12:03 pm »
And here I thought I was pushing my luck with Royal Caribbean by sneaking a bottle of Whiskey on board....

Sneaking one on board may not be that much of an issue. Jumping from an 11th story height to get some more lands you in hot water.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1732 on: January 26, 2019, 05:27:39 pm »
Sneaking one on board may not be that much of an issue. Jumping from an 11th story height to get some more lands you in hot water.

@bigheadfred

Or a cold slab in the morgue if you're not lucky.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #1733 on: January 26, 2019, 05:39:12 pm »
@bigheadfred

Seems like drunks walk away from crashes that others don't survive.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #1734 on: January 26, 2019, 05:39:44 pm »
@bigheadfred

That fellow on the cruise ship has to be the luckiest man on Earth.  I've seen people killed doing much shorter jumps, and (according to the story) this supposedly happened at pier, so if the impact didn't kill, it's likely the relatively shallow depth of the water should have when he hit bottom.  Must have had cliff-diving experience.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1735 on: January 26, 2019, 06:27:31 pm »
Seems like drunks walk away from crashes that others don't survive.

@bigheadfred

Ain't THAT the truth!

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #1736 on: January 26, 2019, 06:31:01 pm »
@bigheadfred

Ain't THAT the truth!

As someone who worked many years as a medic, I can attest to that being true.  Sadly, the sober ones (frequently children) paid the price while the drunken driver did not. 

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1737 on: January 26, 2019, 06:31:51 pm »
That fellow on the cruise ship has to be the luckiest man on Earth.  I've seen people killed doing much shorter jumps, and (according to the story) this supposedly happened at pier, so if the impact didn't kill, it's likely the relatively shallow depth of the water should have when he hit bottom.  Must have had cliff-diving experience.

@Cyber Liberty

Had a similar occurrence within a mile of me a couple of years ago. Three local "youts" were crossing a body of water on a bridge that went up high enough for ships to sail under it,and got the bright idea to jump off the bridge. The first one did jump,and when he didn't come back up to the surface,the other two ran to get help. These rocket scientists didn't consider how deep the water was,or more correctly,how deep it WASN'T,and when he hit he sank in the mud up to his knees and couldn't get out. He drowned right there.

And come to find out,the guy that jumped thinking he was playing and would be ok wasn't the first one to try it.

You would think local boys would know better,but teens don't always think before they act. Don't ask me how I know this. It's too painful to discuss.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 06:33:09 pm by sneakypete »

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #1738 on: January 26, 2019, 06:57:06 pm »
@Cyber Liberty

Had a similar occurrence within a mile of me a couple of years ago. Three local "youts" were crossing a body of water on a bridge that went up high enough for ships to sail under it,and got the bright idea to jump off the bridge. The first one did jump,and when he didn't come back up to the surface,the other two ran to get help. These rocket scientists didn't consider how deep the water was,or more correctly,how deep it WASN'T,and when he hit he sank in the mud up to his knees and couldn't get out. He drowned right there.

And come to find out,the guy that jumped thinking he was playing and would be ok wasn't the first one to try it.

You would think local boys would know better,but teens don't always think before they act. Don't ask me how I know this. It's too painful to discuss.

My kids used to bridge jump out at the park where I fish sometimes. When they were in high school. About a 20' jump. Lots of kids did then. They have since banned it.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #1739 on: January 26, 2019, 10:42:59 pm »
As someone who worked many years as a medic, I can attest to that being true.  Sadly, the sober ones (frequently children) paid the price while the drunken driver did not.
Yep. We had a passenger (back in the days of the steel dashboard) go feet first through the windshield, drunk as a lord, only identified while wandering around with the usual looky-loos by the amazing amount of grass in his afro and a few scuff marks. He'd been sober enough to see they were going to hit the tree, and put his feet on the dash to brace himself. They slipped on impact and he went out through the windshield feet first, into the weeds, limber enough to not suffer any serious injury. The driver was pinned, broken leg, facial injuries from the steering wheel, and had to have the car pried from around him.... :shrug: Go figure. He wasn't the first, nor the last, person who was drunk who survived unscathed what seriously injured others more sober.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline corbe

« Reply #1740 on: January 27, 2019, 01:29:06 am »
Police: Man drives stolen car to jail to bond out girlfriend who was arrested for driving stolen car 

Both suspects behind bars

By Isabel Hughes

Akhria Cooper, left, and Derrick Taylor-Canty

Ride sharing services can be useful for a lot of things — like providing a means of transportation so you don’t have to drive to jail in a stolen car.

Yet that’s exactly what one man did recently when he went to bond out his girlfriend — who had been arrested for driving a different stolen vehicle — from the Gwinnett County Jail, police said.

Duluth residents Derrick Taylor-Canty, 26, and Akhria Cooper, 24, are now both behind bars, having been charged with felony and misdemeanor theft by receiving stolen property, altering serial numbers and several other charges for having four stolen cars in their possession, police said.

<..snip..>

https://www.gwinnettdailypost.com/local/police-man-drives-stolen-car-to-jail-to-bond-out/article_45b70821-ceed-590f-923b-fab36ae37f7f.html
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #1741 on: January 27, 2019, 01:48:45 am »
Lots of stories like this. I can't remember how many articles I have read about defendants showing up to court drunk while being charged with DUI. And they drove to get there.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #1742 on: January 30, 2019, 01:07:09 am »
Good News
Published December 10
Men say ‘Voice of God’ saved them from highway crash that mangled their vehicle

Two men traveling on the Ohio Turnpike say the voice of God helped spare their lives right before a semi totaled their vehicle.

Jordan Cole and Kenneth Bryant were traveling to a pastor’s conference, along with other men, when their MudMan Food Truck, part of a non-profit that sells hamburgers to raise money for Potter’s Field Ministries, broke down and led to their divine encounter.

“We heard a voice,” Cole told FOX 8 Cleveland, “and it was to get out of the truck and I look down and I saw a semi swerving toward us.”

Read more at: https://www.foxnews.com/us/voice-of-god-saved-men-from-highway-crash-that-mangled-their-vehicle?intcmp=oborg_fai&intcmp=ob_article_footer_text

I just saw this at fox news too, with the cold weather some are having:
Iowa
Published 1 day ago
Iowa teen found dead after running away from home in frigid temps over fight with parents, police say

An Iowa teen who ran away from home in freezing temperatures after arguing with his parents was found dead Sunday morning, police said.

Corey Brown’s body was discovered in a secluded area of Marshalltown, according to a news release from Marshalltown Police Chief Michael Tupper. Police didn’t give the exact location.

“This is still an active investigation, and all possible scenarios will be thoroughly investigated,” Tupper said.

Read more at: https://www.foxnews.com/us/iowa-teen-found-dead-after-running-away-from-home-in-frigid-temperatures-over-fight-with-parents-police-say

May the Lord have mercy on his soul, poor boy.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1743 on: January 30, 2019, 11:17:51 am »

@TomSea

Seems like a case of Mother Nature Natural Selection to me. That boy was destined to die early.

Offline DB

« Reply #1744 on: January 30, 2019, 11:38:47 am »

Attempting to restore the subject name of the thread.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #1745 on: January 30, 2019, 11:52:07 am »
@TomSea

Seems like a case of Mother Nature Natural Selection to me. That boy was destined to die early.
Cold is to be respected. I knew two people who froze to death, and one more saved by his folks letting the yapper dog out--it woke him up, and he only lost some fingertips. Nothing to mess with.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline verga

« Reply #1746 on: January 30, 2019, 05:28:16 pm »
Cold is to be respected. I knew two people who froze to death, and one more saved by his folks letting the yapper dog out--it woke him up, and he only lost some fingertips. Nothing to mess with.
Yeah but here in the south at least it is a dry cold /Sarc
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #1747 on: January 30, 2019, 08:50:10 pm »
Yeah but here in the south at least it is a dry cold /Sarc
Dry cold just means you get freezer burn quicker.... :shrug:

C S Lewis

Offline verga

« Reply #1748 on: January 30, 2019, 11:30:26 pm »
Dry cold just means you get freezer burn quicker.... :shrug:
It was a commentary on my uncle telling me that the heat in Arizona was a dry heat, so it was more tolerable.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #1749 on: January 31, 2019, 01:14:27 am »
Famed opera singer David Daniels, husband arrested for felony sex assault
By Gabrielle Fonrouge
January 30, 2019
A world-famous opera singer, who is also a University of Michigan professor, was arrested along with his conductor husband on felony sexual assault charges for a nearly decade old incident in Houston, police said Wednesday.

Opera man David Daniels and his husband Scott Walters were arrested separately yesterday around 1:30 p.m. and are currently being held at Washtenaw County Jail, Ann Arbor police confirmed to The Post.

The couple, who were wed by Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg in 2014, face extradition to Texas where they’re accused of raping opera singer Samuel Schultz in May 2010 when Schultz was 23 and pursuing his master’s degree, according to the Houston Police Department and a statement on Schultz’s website. ...

Schultz’s allegation isn’t the first time Daniels, a renowned countertenor, has been accused of sexual misconduct.

He’s named in a federal civil lawsuit against former UM student Andrew Lipian on “quid pro quo sexual harassment” allegations, court papers show. Lipian claims he was invited to Daniels’ apartment in March 2017 to watch “Ru Paul’s Drag Race” because Daniels was “lonely,” records show. Lipian alleges Daniels gave him “several drinks of bourbon” and tricked him into taking ambien that Lipian mistook for Tylenol PM, court papers say.

Daniels then removed Lipian’s clothes and “forced himself upon” Lipian and “groped and touched his genitals and face.”  ...  Full story at New York Post

The perps (Daniels at right)
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org