Author Topic: For the Fat Girl in Boise  (Read 5524 times)

Online massadvj

For the Fat Girl in Boise
« on: September 11, 2015, 07:46:08 pm »
I ran into this video.  It's going viral on Facebook.  Something really bugged me about it...  so I fixed it. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJJGtjo8xcU&feature=youtu.be
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 07:47:36 pm by massadvj »

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: For the Fat Girl in Boise
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 08:42:57 pm »
Hmmmm....I don't agree with you on this one Victor...there can be many reasons she is heavy other than self indulgence...and I think that is what she was trying to prove...

edited to say...that most women spend their lives dieting and watching their weight to try to reach this *ideal* that has been set...sometimes so high that many never achieve it through no fault of their own...just my 2 cents
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 08:46:00 pm by mystery-ak »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online massadvj

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2015, 09:40:23 pm »
Hmmmm....I don't agree with you on this one Victor...there can be many reasons she is heavy other than self indulgence...and I think that is what she was trying to prove...

edited to say...that most women spend their lives dieting and watching their weight to try to reach this *ideal* that has been set...sometimes so high that many never achieve it through no fault of their own...just my 2 cents

Well, we have to disagree sometime, Myst.  I will say that I don't judge her because of her weight, but i do judge her on her attempt to be enabled for doing nothing about her weight.  I don't really take issue with her being overweight if that is what she wants to do.  I love freedom, as you know.  But standing half-naked in the street asking others to celebrate one's flaws strikes me as utterly silly, and utterly "progressive."  Right up there with giving awards for participation instead of merit.

I am glad the video was able to provoke a response from you.  That was its purpose, after all.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2015, 10:58:02 pm »
If I may triangulate here:

I do agree that sometimes weight is not entirely a behavioral issue. Certain ethnicities tend to be heavier; I think of the Germans, who are very top-heavy.

But I also believe that the solution is not to stand half-naked in the street and beg people to give you attention and sympathy.

Let's not kid ourselves: obesity is a growing (no pun intended) problem in this country, fueled by cheap carbohydrate-rich foods and a major expansion of food-stamp benefits to buy them…and we shouldn't be enabling the obese. Not only is this woman overweight, but she's also mentally ill. No exhibitionist publicity stunt begging for attention is going to get to the root cause of that.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online massadvj

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2015, 01:52:59 pm »
Someone on YouTube posted the question "What did the original sign say?"

It said: I am standing with anyone who has struggled with a self-esteem issue like me because all bodies are valuable.  To support self-acceptance draw a heart on my body.