Author Topic: There’s Only One Candidate People Actually Like – and It’s Not Trump or Clinton  (Read 1758 times)

bkepley

Rob Garver
Yahoo

The only one of the declared presidential candidates that Americans have positive feelings for overall isn’t a frontrunner and has never held public office before. According to a poll released Thursday by Public Policy Polling, retired neurosurgeon Ben Carson is the sole presidential candidate whose favorability rating is higher than his or her unfavorability rating.

When asked about Carson, 41 percent of the respondents in the national poll reported that they felt favorably about him, compared to 30 percent who have an unfavorable view. That puts him well ahead of all the other candidates in the field, though 29 percent of respondents said they were not familiar enough with Carson to make a judgment about him, suggesting that those numbers could change as he becomes more widely known. The only other candidate to come close to an overall favorable rating was former Hewlett-Packard CEO Carly Fiorina, who at 32/35 had an overall favorability rating of -3.

Of the two frontrunners, Donald Trump did just slightly better than Clinton on the favorability scale, coming in at 35/53 favorable/unfavorable for a net favorability rating of -19. Clinton clocks in at 36/55, for a net score of -19.

The good news for Clinton is that likability doesn’t appear to be directly tied to electability.

Despite the fact that voters appear to like Trump slightly better, in a theoretical head-to-head election match-up, Clinton actually edges the real estate billionaire 46 percent to 44 percent. And despite his vastly better favorability levels, Clinton ties Carson in a head-to-head poll 44-44. Clinton easily topped each of the other Republican candidates she was tested against.

More here: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/only-one-candidate-people-actually-191500200.html

Offline NavyCanDo

I knew nothing about Ben Carson until  stopping by a booth his supporters had set up at a gun show in late July. (The only candidate to be represented there.) They were handing out a free a 200 page  book called Ben Carson Rx for America, a collection of his writings, and quotes, where he stands on the issues,, his qualifications – and his amazing life story. I read the book, and quoted some of it here on the BR.   I will confess, I really like the guy, and I think he has what it takes to unite the party not divide it, and  like Reagan has what it takes to draw moderate Democrats over, not to mention minorities, with his Bill Cosby-like common sense  views on race and the root causes of problems in the black community.

Give him one-more solid debate appearance which will be followed up by more TV interviews, and I believe he can unseat Trump from his top spot, or at least be the catalyst to his eventual slip. Then maybe we can get back to good intelligent discussions here on this forum for the rest of the election cycle, rather than the Trump people and the No-Trump people using this sight as a front line battle ground.     
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Online kevindavis007

I knew nothing about Ben Carson until  stopping by a booth his supporters had set up at a gun show in late July. (The only candidate to be represented there.) They were handing out a free a 200 page  book called Ben Carson Rx for America, a collection of his writings, and quotes, where he stands on the issues,, his qualifications – and his amazing life story. I read the book, and quoted some of it here on the BR.   I will confess, I really like the guy, and I think he has what it takes to unite the party not divide it, and  like Reagan has what it takes to draw moderate Democrats over, not to mention minorities, with his Bill Cosby-like common sense  views on race and the root causes of problems in the black community.

Give him one-more solid debate appearance which will be followed up by more TV interviews, and I believe he can unseat Trump from his top spot, or at least be the catalyst to his eventual slip. Then maybe we can get back to good intelligent discussions here on this forum for the rest of the election cycle, rather than the Trump people and the No-Trump people using this sight as a front line battle ground.     

:amen:
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Offline NavyCanDo

A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline MBB1984

Carson is a nice guy and is strong on many issues.  But, he is weak on the 2nd amendment concerning weapons in the inner cities.  He has very limited experience in the political or big business arena.   To be completely honest, if he was white, I don't believe he would be polling as a top ten candidate.

Offline Longiron

Carson is a nice guy and is strong on many issues.  But, he is weak on the 2nd amendment concerning weapons in the inner cities.  He has very limited experience in the political or big business arena.   To be completely honest, if he was white, I don't believe he would be polling as a top ten candidate.

Carson is a good man but needs more grooming in the areas you mentioned. Good VP choice and a cabinet post candidate. Maybe 2020 or 2024 if he stays in politics that long. Like Rand Paul a very smart person in the medical world but lacks judgement and street smarts in business and politics. Paul blew it BIG time supporting McConnell and watch McConnell throw him under the bus the frst chance he gets. Again, street smarts and judgement in the real world and their are no degress for that and not taught in Med school.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
MBB1984 wrote above:
[[ Carson is a nice guy and is strong on many issues.  But, he is weak on the 2nd amendment concerning weapons in the inner cities.  He has very limited experience in the political or big business arena ]]

Just within the past day or two, Carson said that he favors a pathway to citizenship for illegals.

I didn't put that in quotes because I don't remember exactly what source I read it from (it was in a thread on TOS), but that was durn close.

If so, I can't support him, for that and other reasons as well (as MBB mentioned above).

There's no question he's a man of accomplishment.
But he's not my guy.
I don't think I'm gonna change my opinion on him in the future.
If I do, I'll let y'all know...

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Carson is a good man but needs more grooming in the areas you mentioned. Good VP choice and a cabinet post candidate. Maybe 2020 or 2024 if he stays in politics that long. Like Rand Paul a very smart person in the medical world but lacks judgement and street smarts in business and politics. Paul blew it BIG time supporting McConnell and watch McConnell throw him under the bus the frst chance he gets. Again, street smarts and judgement in the real world and their are no degress for that and not taught in Med school.

Agreed. I can understand his particular issue with guns in inner cities - the guy's spent a lot of his life patching up the results of gangbangers with guns and it's got to grate on him - but his position there, as currently stated, is just plain wrong.

Not going to throw him out or dismiss him just yet, but he's not top tier in my book.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline NavyCanDo

There is no evidence that Ben Carson is anti-gun. None. His words were twisted by the media - and they got the results they were looking for - people on conservative forums, and social media bearing false witness.

Carson's own words.

“There seemed to be group of people—I don't know exactly who they are—who seize upon one part of something that I said,” Carson said on the call, which Bloomberg Politics was allowed to dial into. “Sometimes people just hear one little thing and they don't hear anything else.”

“Perhaps I didn’t convey it appropriately,” he said. “I wanted to convey that, you know, I've lived in urban areas. I've worked in urban areas. I've seen a lot of carnage, and I'd prefer a situation where the kinds of weapons that create that kind of carnage don't fall to the hands of criminal elements or insane people. But that is secondary to the desire to always defend the Second Amendment.”

Carson said that “under no circumstances” would he “allow a bureaucrat to remove any law-abiding citizen's rights for any kind of weapon that they want to protect themselves.”

If he were in a position of national leadership, Carson said he would seek to allow people to possess any kind of weapon they can legally buy, including “automatic weapons and semi-automatic weapons.”

Asked by one call participant whether he would support convicted felons being allowed to possess guns after serving their time, Carson said it would “depend on what kind of criminal activity they were convicted for.” He added, “Is this somebody who is still considered a danger to society? If that's the case, they probably still should be in prison.”

Carson said a “mental patient” or someone with “history of violence” shouldn't be able to own “anything” to “wreak havoc on society.” That, he said, could be part of a “reasonable” gun-control law. The government also shouldn't “retrospectively” go back to make once-legal guns illegal, he said.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Thank you, Navy!  :beer:

A much more sensible position all around. I'm a bit leery of the "mental" proviso - not because it isn't simple common sense (it is), but because I know how these things work. Any agency involved is going to both err on the side of caution (to avoid liability more than anything) and work to a tick list when considering anyone - if you don't tick the right boxes, you'll fail, simple as that.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online libertybele

I couldn't agree more with you. He has absolutely zero political experience except him obviously campaigning for president and speaking to crowds about his opinions and he has very little business experience.  He is a black neurosurgeon that has written a few books conveying his conservative viewpoints.

I had stated when Carson first made the announcement that he was running for president, that about the only thing he really had going for him is the fact that he is black.  The other appeal to the voting base is he is not of the political establishment.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 11:48:09 am by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online libertybele

Yes, there IS evidence that Carson is anti-gun.

Carson argues that he doesn’t have a problem with “conventional weapons,” but expressed an openness to banning so-called assault weapons. (Raw Story)

Carson has said that conservatives need to be open to a gun control compromise in certain situations. (Raw Story)

Carson says he is critical of litmus tests on guns by conservatives and thinks so called “assault weapons” should be considered for gun bans. (YouTube)

Carson has argued that local governments should be able to ban certain guns or implement gun control. (YouTube)

Carson has changed his mind on gun registration. He was once for registration, but his thinking has changed.  Tony Lee of Breitbart points out that fears of martial law has changed Carson’s thinking. He was against gun registration because of “ ‘sinister internal forces’ that could surface in that scenario. He said he ‘used to think they needed to be registered, but if you register them they just come and find you and take your guns.’”(Breitbart)

When asked by Steve Deace at  Conservative Review to clarify controversial comments Carson made on the Glenn Beck Show in 2013 where he argued semi-automatic weapons should not be allowed in cities, Carson offered this honest response:...

- See more at: https://www.conservativereview.com/2016-presidential-candidates/candidates/ben-carson#article-13
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 01:20:36 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.