Author Topic: BREAKING: Shooting during live TV report in Virginia; reporter and cameraman dead  (Read 23408 times)

Online mountaineer

WDBJ

MONETA, Va. - 
Law enforcement is on scene following an incident at Bridgewater Plaza. The incident happened during a WDBJ7 live report.

Deputies from Franklin County and Bedford County are on scene.

Bridgewater Plaza is on Smith Mountain Lake.

Check back soon for more updates.

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online mountaineer

bkepley

Holy moly..

Online mountaineer

CNN

(CNN)—An apparently routine live TV interview went horribly wrong in Virginia on Wednesday morning.

Two WDBJ employees -- a reporter and a photographer -- were shot to death while reporting on a feature story Wednesday morning, the CNN affiliate in Virginia reported.

They were reporter Alison Parker and photographer Adam Ward, the station said.

The crew from WDBJ was involved in the shooting during a live interview at Bridgewater Plaza near Moneta.

Video circulated on social media showed a WDBJ reporter scream as what appeared to be gunshots were fired.

Online mountaineer

TV Reporter, Cameraman Killed After Gunman Opens Fire in Virginia
Aug 26, 2015, 8:57 AM ET
By MEGHAN KENEALLY, ABC News
A shooting on live television has left a reporter and a cameraman dead, according to their news station.

Alison Parker, 24, and Adam Ward, 27, were killed during a live news segment this morning in Moneta, Virginia, according to their station, WDBJ-TV, a CBS affiliate serving the Roanoke-Lynchburg television market.

The Franklin County sheriff confirmed that it is considered an active-shooter situation and the suspect, who is believed to be male, is not in custody at this time.

The incident was reported at 6:45 a.m. and schools in the surrounding area have been placed on lock down, according to a Facebook post from Bedford County Public Schools.

The shooting itself took place at Bridgewater Plaza, a recreational facility with shops, restaurants, a mini golf course and boat rentals.

The station is owned by Schurz Communications of South Bend, Indiana.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 01:21:17 pm by mountaineer »

Offline musiclady

I just heard the shooter has not yet been captured.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
http://www.9news.com/story/news/local/virginia/2015/08/26/tv-crew-involved--shooting--moneta/32389729/

TV crew killed in shooting near Roanoke

MONETA, Va. (WVEC) -- Two employees of WDBJ-TV were killed early Wednesday during a shooting at a shopping center near Smith Mountain Lake in Franklin County.

A tweet from station personnel said a reporter and photographer were killed-- reporter Alison Parker and photographer Adam Ward.

Update: Allison Parker and photographer Adam Ward have been killed in the shooting at Bridgewater Plaza at SML.

The shooting happened during a live broadcast.

The Roanoke Times says Franklin County Sheriff's Department spokesman Phillip Young says there was an active shooter report at Bridgewater Plaza around 6:45 a.m.

Media in the area report three people have been injured and dozens of state and local authorities are on the scene for the investigation.

The situation has forced Bedford County schools to go on lockdown. A post on its Facebook page said. "We have placed all schools on perimeter lockdown status following a shooting in Franklin County this morning. This is a precautionary measure suggested by law enforcement. We will continue to provide updates as they become available. The safety of our students and our staff will reside above anything else this morning."

Meantime, VDOT is reporting a high-priority incident on Route 122 in the vicinity of Dovetail Road near Bridgewater Plaza. Both north and south through lanes are closed.

Stay with 13News Now for the latest developments.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Sorry, I posted this before I saw the other posting.
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Online mountaineer

It's okay, the threads are merged.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
I just heard the shooter has not yet been captured.

From the video, it happened very quickly and  I didn't see other people around beyond the victims and the person they were reporting. The shooter could have been in and out quickly.

I'm not one to throw speculation out there too quickly as to motive, after all, there are a lot of people who are just nuts out there, but if you want to get attention to a cause (eg Isis types), going after reporters would be one way.

Offline musiclady

From the video, it happened very quickly and  I didn't see other people around beyond the victims and the person they were reporting. The shooter could have been in and out quickly.

I'm not one to throw speculation out there too quickly as to motive, after all, there are a lot of people who are just nuts out there, but if you want to get attention to a cause (eg Isis types), going after reporters would be one way.

Good point.  They said he was 'white'....... but that certainly doesn't rule out Islam, since it's not a race, but a 'religion.'

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
Which news outlet will be the first to report that the perp was an angry white male former Tea Partier and current Trump supporter expressing his anger at the media?

Online mountaineer

TMZ adds:
... Vicki Gardner, the woman Alison was interviewing, was shot in the back. She's in surgery right now.

Alison was engaged to Chris Hurst, a co-anchor at the station -- and Adam was engaged to a producer named Melissa Ott. It appears she was actually the producing the newscast at the time of the shooting. ..
Read more: http://www.tmz.com/#ixzz3jvc3Is4E

The fiance tweets (with photo):
Chris Hurst ‏@chrishurstwdbj  · 17m17 minutes ago 
We didn't share this publicly, but @AParkerWDBJ7 and I were very much in love. We just moved in together. I am numb.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 01:49:09 pm by mountaineer »

Offline aligncare

Watch as the media gets a reality check and coverage starts changing with a new sense of enlightenment.

The news cycle will be thick with this story, for sure. Feel awful about those young folks senselessly cut down.

bkepley

Which news outlet will be the first to report that the perp was an angry white male former Tea Partier and current Trump supporter expressing his anger at the media?

So why'd you do it?  :laugh:

Offline Relic

We are a very sick society.  **nononono*

Online mountaineer

No matter what, it will give rise to more calls for banning firearms.

Offline musiclady

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
No matter what, it will give rise to more calls for banning firearms.

No doubt about that!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline musiclady

I'm still waiting for them to backtrack from the claim that James Holmes was a Tea Partier (when he was actually an Obama campaign worker).

They'll report it.  They'll find out it's a lie.  And then they'll keep silent.

It's what they always do.....

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Slain Cameraman Photographed Killer; Suspected to Be Disgruntled Employee

The governor of Virginia said the gunman who shot and killed two TV journalists is a disgruntled former employee of the Roanoke station. Terry McAullife said the suspect is driving on I-81 and he believes police will arrest him immediately. The suspect was dressed all in black. Cameraman Adam Ward captured the man approaching as he fired at him and reporter Alison Parker. The shooter has not yet been identified. According to WDBJ station manager Jeffrey A. Marks, it appears that the cameraman was shot first, and Parker was shot while running away.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/2015/08/26/tv-crew-killer-dressed-in-black.html
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

People magazine ‏@people 2m2 minutes ago

Boyfriend of slain #WDBJ reporter Alison Parker speaks out in heartbreaking Tweets http://peoplem.ag/ZgwKEJQ 
Support the USO

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Support the USO

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Support the USO