Author Topic: Obama: Requiring Photo-ID to Vote is Wrong. ‘Going to Vote In Somebody Else’s Name Doesn’t Happen’  (Read 784 times)

rangerrebew

Obama: Requiring Photo-ID to Vote is Wrong. ‘Going to Vote In Somebody Else’s Name Doesn’t Happen’

(CNSNews.com) - Speaking at the White House Thursday, on the 50th anniversary of the Voting Rights Act, President Barack Obama said that people do not take advantage of the lack of voter ID laws to cast fraudulent votes in other peoples' names.

The president based his conclusion on government data on the number of people the government prosecutes for this crime.

“Sadly, too many states are making it harder for folks to vote--instituting photo ID laws that on the surface sound good,” said Obama.

“But I am certain, because we’ve actually looked at the data on this, that almost nobody wakes up saying, I’m going to go vote in somebody else’s name--doesn't happen.”

Here is the excerpt from Obama’s speech [1] where he explained why he opposes requiring people to have a photo ID to vote:

At the state levels, we’ve got some outstanding members of state legislatures--California, Florida--who have been championing mechanisms to get more people voting: Early voting, online registration.

But sadly, too many states are making it harder for folks to vote--instituting photo ID laws that on the surface sound good. If you poll the average American, they’ll say, yes, you should have to show your photo ID.  But, in practice, it turns out that for seniors and for poorer folks, that's not always easy to do. And by the way, it doesn't actually address a real problem because there are almost no instances of people going to vote in somebody else’s name. It’s just not a--it turns out it’s just not a common crime.

You know, folks might think about, you know shoplifting. Attorney General, you know more about the crime statistics than I do, but I am certain, because we’ve actually looked at the data on this, that almost nobody wakes up saying, I’m going to go vote in somebody else’s name--doesn't happen.

So the only reason to pass this law, despite the reasonableness of how it sounds, is to make it harder for folks to vote.

Source URL: http://cnsnews.com/news/article/cnsnewscom-staff/obama-requiring-photo-id-vote-wrong-going-vote-somebody-elses-name

rangerrebew

Illegal immigration, abortion baby parts factories, and muslim terror attacks don't happen, either. :3:

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Oh, shut yer face, Worm.

Or how about at your next public speech no one has to present any sort of ID to attend. Since no one would wake up and attend a speech of yours in someone else's name, right?
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline flowers